Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Made a new friend today...an Ohio State fan

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, June 06, 2016, 05:34:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

It was an interesting conversation. He just moved into the Tulsa area in the last 3 months and his first take on Oklahoma was, "who is this other OSU? There is only one, real, OSU".

He likes the climate down here and found the people of this area friendly. He thought he might be treated like he was a "Yankee" and instead was met with friendliness.

He said he was looking forward to playing Oklahoma in Norman on 9/17/16 and has friends from Ohio coming down for the game.

I told him that I was an Arkansas Razorbacks fan and that I remembered us drawing them in the Sugar Bowl a few years ago and losing by a narrow margin. He said,"We got lucky at the last moment". Naturally, I agreed and told him that I hoped we would get them again sometime soon.

Very nice guy, for a Buckeye. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

I've worked in Columbus Ohio. A lot of nice people up there. Heck one even wanted me to get them a Hog Hat. I did.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Shrevepork

Yes, there are salt of the earth type people there, but they have trouble with chili and cornbread.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 06, 2016, 05:34:19 pm
It was an interesting conversation. He just moved into the Tulsa area in the last 3 months and his first take on Oklahoma was, "who is this other OSU? There is only one, real, OSU".

He likes the climate down here and found the people of this area friendly. He thought he might be treated like he was a "Yankee" and instead was met with friendliness.

He said he was looking forward to playing Oklahoma in Norman on 9/17/16 and has friends from Ohio coming down for the game.

I told him that I was an Arkansas Razorbacks fan and that I remembered us drawing them in the Sugar Bowl a few years ago and losing by a narrow margin. He said,"We got lucky at the last moment". Naturally, I agreed and told him that I hoped we would get them again sometime soon.

Worst group of fans I have ever experienced  Includes road trips to Baton Rouge and bowl games.  Arrogant, obnoxious, crude group.  But I hope your new friend gives it to the OU rednecks.  They are a nice match. 

Of course he likes it down this way.  We have been invaded.  They screwed their economies and then headed our way for jobs and better weather. 
Quote from: Shrevepork on June 06, 2016, 05:52:46 pm
Yes, there are salt of the earth type people there, but they have trouble with chili and cornbread.

I would agree with you on Iowa or Minnesota.  Oh St or Penn St fans are Appalachian WVa + Bama arrogance with that Jersey shore insecurity added. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ricepig

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on June 06, 2016, 06:00:53 pm
Worst group of fans I have ever experienced  Includes road trips to Baton Rouge and bowl games.  Arrogant, obnoxious, crude group.  But I hope your new friend gives it to the OU rednecks.  They are a nice match. 

Of course he likes it down this way.  We have been invaded.  They screwed their economies and then headed our way for jobs and better weather. 

I wonder if they blame us for a lot of "southerners" moving north in years past to get jobs in their factories? So maybe a lot of"southerners" helped "screw" their economies..........................

P.S. Had a great time at the Sugar Bowl bantering back and forth with them. Especially with a friend I know that used to play for Woody at OSU and became a radio personality in NWA several years ago.................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Shrevepork on June 06, 2016, 05:52:46 pm

Don't know about that. This guy was a pretty good guy and more so by the fact that he knew they had escaped when Mallet threw it to a DE that had dropped into coverage. Sad moment for us. I thought we were going to pull it out. Apparently they were breathing a huge sigh of relief.
Go Hogs Go!

lahawg1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 06, 2016, 06:13:43 pm
Don't know about that. This guy was a pretty good guy and more so by the fact that he knew they had escaped when Mallet threw it to a DE that had dropped into coverage. Sad moment for us. I thought we were going to pull it out. Apparently they were breathing a huge sigh of relief.

Why we didn't let Knile pound it down there throat instead I'll never know. Inside of 30 yards and plenty of time left.

Birminghog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 06, 2016, 05:45:58 pm
I've worked in Columbus Ohio. A lot of nice people up there. Heck one even wanted me to get them a Hog Hat. I did.

As a friend of mine from Columbus likes to quip, "Ohio - gateway to Indiana!"

HogBreath

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 06, 2016, 06:13:43 pm
Even worse, we had the scoop and score we missed out on off the blocked punt.  That was a really, really good Buckeye team, and with a little luck, we'd have beaten then by 2-3 TD's.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

PORKULATOR

you said Ohio state fan and friend in the same sentence...  I'm a need a minute.  I'm feeling a bit vahclempt...  😂😂😂
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

spiritof92

I would agree with you on Iowa or Minnesota.  Oh St or Penn St fans are Appalachian WVa + Bama arrogance with that Jersey shore insecurity added. 

Yeah, I was wondering what in the world was going on in this thread.  I visit family up near Columbus every year and OSU fans are by far the most arrogant in the country.  They're basically Longhorn fans but with the record and championships to make their bragging even more unbearable.  If you mention you're from the south they immediately go into an "SEC is overrated" rant. 

Vantage 8 dude

Very well may be a nice guy. However, why should anyone be particularly surprised when it comes to his question/attitude toward this "other OSU"? I mean what else would one expect from a fanbase that refers to itself as "THE Ohio State University"? IMO that totally says it all.

Jackrabbit Hog

True story.  When the wife and I went to the Sugar Bowl a few years ago, we stayed in a Residence Inn that was on the fringe of downtown.  It was about a 20 block walk from the Superdome but we were excited about the game so we walked there.  Unfortunately, we lost and that meant we had to walk back afterwards.  A few blocks from our hotel, being tired and thirsty, we went into a pizza place and bar.  The place was full of frustrated Hog fans.  We sat at a table next to two very large men who looked to be in their late 30s or early 40s, covered in Hog gear.  After a few minutes of overhearing their conversation, I figured out that one of them must have been a former player.  I started talking to him and, yes, he was a former linebacker during the Danny Ford years.  (I wish I could remember his name but I can't.  He played a lot but wasn't all conference or anything like that; just a hard working lunch pail kind of player.)  We had a really nice conversation and it was clear he was hurting over the game, just bleeding Arkansas red all over the place.

About that time two OSU fans walked in.  Two guys a little older than us, belligerent and carrying on like a couple of fools.  Everybody in the place stopped what they were doing and started staring at them because they kept egging people on with their comments about Arkansas, hillbillies, the SEC and anything else they could think of.  After about 5 minutes the former player had had enough.  He got up, slowly walked to the two Buckeye fans, and then just went off.  He never touched either of them but his voice could have shattered glass and he was making up new cuss words I'd never heard before.  Veins were popping in his neck.  It took about ten seconds and the two OSU guys very quietly got their stuff and exited the building.  Everyone else in there stood up and clapped as they left.  I don't think my former linebacker friend had to pay for a drink or his meal that night.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Pork Twain

My first duty location was Dayton, OH and that is where I learned to hate the Buckeyes and their fans.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

bigdaddyhawg

I'd say he's blessed to have made a friendship with you, MHF.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

SRV

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 07, 2016, 10:08:20 am
True story.  When the wife and I went to the Sugar Bowl a few years ago, we stayed in a Residence Inn that was on the fringe of downtown.  It was about a 20 block walk from the Superdome but we were excited about the game so we walked there.  Unfortunately, we lost and that meant we had to walk back afterwards.  A few blocks from our hotel, being tired and thirsty, we went into a pizza place and bar.  The place was full of frustrated Hog fans.  We sat at a table next to two very large men who looked to be in their late 30s or early 40s, covered in Hog gear.  After a few minutes of overhearing their conversation, I figured out that one of them must have been a former player.  I started talking to him and, yes, he was a former linebacker during the Danny Ford years.  (I wish I could remember his name but I can't.  He played a lot but wasn't all conference or anything like that; just a hard working lunch pail kind of player.)  We had a really nice conversation and it was clear he was hurting over the game, just bleeding Arkansas red all over the place.

About that time two OSU fans walked in.  Two guys a little older than us, belligerent and carrying on like a couple of fools.  Everybody in the place stopped what they were doing and started staring at them because they kept egging people on with their comments about Arkansas, hillbillies, the SEC and anything else they could think of.  After about 5 minutes the former player had had enough.  He got up, slowly walked to the two Buckeye fans, and then just went off.  He never touched either of them but his voice could have shattered glass and he was making up new cuss words I'd never heard before.  Veins were popping in his neck.  It took about ten seconds and the two OSU guys very quietly got their stuff and exited the building.  Everyone else in there stood up and clapped as they left.  I don't think my former linebacker friend had to pay for a drink or his meal that night.

That had to be the best after a loss experience ever.

Woo Pig!
We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....

Piggage

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on June 07, 2016, 09:23:48 am
Very well may be a nice guy. However, why should anyone be particularly surprised when it comes to his question/attitude toward this "other OSU"? I mean what else would one expect from a fanbase that refers to itself as "THE Ohio State University"? IMO that totally says it all.

Ohio St. fans do several things that the rest of the country might find a little ridiculous if we gave it any thought:

Sure the word The is part of their official university name. There's a LONG list of universities whose official name begins with The. They don't make a big deal of it. Guess they have other priorities.

Their big chant is to spell out O-H-I-O and then stop. There's an Ohio University. They are not it. Ohio University is in Athens, Ohio and was there long before Ohio State. Imagine if Oklahoma State fans spelled out Oklahoma and then stopped. Or Kansas St.

Besides, how is a buckeye anything to rally around or get excited about anyway?

Inhogswetrust

June 07, 2016, 01:29:57 pm #18 Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 06:16:16 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Piggage on June 07, 2016, 12:57:38 pm
Ohio St. fans do several things that the rest of the country might find a little ridiculous if we gave it any thought:

Sure the word The is part of their official university name. There's a LONG list of universities whose official name begins with The. They don't make a big deal of it. Guess they have other priorities.

Their big chant is to spell out O-H-I-O and then stop. There's an Ohio University. They are not it. Ohio University is in Athens, Ohio and was there long before Ohio State. Imagine if Oklahoma State fans spelled out Oklahoma and then stopped. Or Kansas St.

Besides, how is a buckeye anything to rally around or get excited about anyway?

I gotta admit the mascot is dumb...................about as dumb as a rebel black bear. At least Stanford's mascot is a whole tree. No wait sorry..........it is the Stanford BANDS mascot. The team does not have an official Cardinal mascot.

wholehog92

Make him happy in OK.  I'm not interested in him moving east.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

KlubhouseKonnected

Why would he worry about being treated like a Yankee? It's not like he has actually moved to the South.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on June 08, 2016, 08:02:49 am
Why would he worry about being treated like a Yankee? It's not like he has actually moved to the South.

I have to admit some people that live up "north" think anything south of the Ohio river or west of the Mississippi yet east of the Rocky Mountains is "southern". Ironically they don't always consider Texas and/or Florida as "southern". I guess they forgot their history classes. That being said Texas and Florida has the least amount of remnants of the old south.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 08, 2016, 08:15:36 am

I have to admit some people that live up "north" think anything south of the Ohio river or west of the Mississippi yet east of the Rocky Mountains is "southern". Ironically they don't always consider Texas and/or Florida as "southern". I guess they forgot their history classes. That being said Texas and Florida has the least amount of remnants of the old south.

Lots of folks seem to forget that Texas fought on the side of the South as well as some of the 5 Civilized Tribes in Oklahoma in what was then, Indian Territory.
Go Hogs Go!

Ohio Razorback

As an Arkansas fan living in Columbus for 15 years, Buckeye fever can be overwhelming.  I went to a game a couple of years ago at the Shoe and enjoyed the meltdown that was occurring when Indiana was winning going into the 3rd quarter.  The fans were losing their minds.  However, most of the fans I know are good people and aren't too high on themselves.  Though there are some that are real idiots.

Cinco de Hogo

People are basically the same all over.  If THE Arkansas Razorbacks were a winning endeavor the fans would be insufferable.  Some are anyway.  It's like the cheating question, we all cheat but some make a profession of it.  Regardless there aren't any worse fans than Sooner Fans.  Sounds like that OSU fans is amongst people of his own kind.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on June 08, 2016, 10:55:22 am
People are basically the same all over.  If THE Arkansas Razorbacks were a winning endeavor the fans would be insufferable.  Some are anyway.  It's like the cheating question, we all cheat but some make a profession of it.  Regardless there aren't any worse fans than Sooner Fans.  Sounds like that OSU fans is amongst people of his own kind.

In a perverted sort of way, we should be glad that we're in a conference full of insufferable fanbases, and also that others may feel the same way about us.  The alternative is that we could be Vanderbilt, whose fans don't care and as a result nobody else in the country does either. 
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

BirmingHam

Worked with 2 "the Ohio State" fans from Ohio in Fayetteville and they were not stuck up or arrogant.  Actually we had a great time talking football.  All in the context you get to talk in, I guess.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: BirmingHam on June 08, 2016, 11:22:50 am
Worked with 2 "the Ohio State" fans from Ohio in Fayetteville and they were not stuck up or arrogant.  Actually we had a great time talking football.  All in the context you get to talk in, I guess.

I'm guessing they aren't the same two guys from my encounter after the Sugar Bowl...

BirmingHam

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 08, 2016, 11:30:05 am
I'm guessing they aren't the same two guys from my encounter after the Sugar Bowl...

Are you sure?!!  There aren't too many tOSU fans. 

Then again may be venue that the meetings took place.  Of course, I used to work in Birmingham and worked/tailgated with Bama fans.  They were always fair. 

Side note:  There are always crazy fans who don't know how to temper themselves and put the guns down.

buldozer

+1 for hitting the yankee on the head!

longpig

numbers don't agree

http://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm
Don't be scared, be smart.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: longpig on June 09, 2016, 12:18:42 pm
numbers don't agree

http://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm

I like facts. Illinois being the worst is no surprise. But I was shocked to see how low an unemployment rate Michigan had. Quite a few "southern" states had a higher rate than them!