Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Offensive Analyst Hired

Started by FraggleHog, June 02, 2016, 02:53:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildhog

This is just an analyst to help prep the staff, like we had with Steve Loney a couple of years ago.  He'd break down opposing offenses and help Robb Smith plan a strategy on D.  Loney received a lot of praise for helping that 2014 defense, and I'm hoping for similar results with Ash. 

This is nothing but a good thing.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Smokehouse

Quote from: cosmodrum on June 03, 2016, 12:03:54 pm
My guess is that he doesn't like the hire because he's a small school guy or something. I can only guess since he won't respond to you guys.

My guess was he thought it was odd that we hired someone to look at the offense when Enos is doing a great job, or he's worried Bielema is going to micromanage the offense or something ridiculous like that.

Seems like a great hire to me.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

colbs

Quote from: cosmodrum on June 03, 2016, 12:03:54 pm
My guess is that he doesn't like the hire because he's a small school guy or something. I can only guess since he won't respond to you guys.
That's what I thought.  I guess he thinks Bama and others are hiring "big names" to come in as offensive/defensive analyst. I bet he can't name one from another school without looking up.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Smokehouse on June 03, 2016, 12:25:36 pm
My guess was he thought it was odd that we hired someone to look at the offense when Enos is doing a great job, or he's worried Bielema is going to micromanage the offense or something ridiculous like that.

Yeah, could be. Whatever it is, I'm sure it's negative.
Go away, batin'

factchecker

Ash ran a spread offense at Montana State which explains this:

QuoteAsh's title is "offensive analyst," but he said he'll primarily interact with the Razorbacks' defensive coaching staff. While he'll have a variety of duties, Ash will mainly scout the offenses of UA's upcoming opponents.

"I'll be preparing a report every week for the defensive staff," the 64-year-old said. "The first game is Louisiana Tech, so I'll analyze Louisiana Tech's offense from last year, whatever we know about them, and prepare a report on their strengths and weaknesses, what they do well, best players, weak links, whatever. Once I get that report to the defensive coaches on Sunday night during the season, then I'll start on the next week's opponents.

"I'll get to study all those great offenses through the season. It's going to be tremendous."

Pretty good article here:

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sports/bobcats/football/former-msu-coach-ash-joins-arkansas-staff-as-analyst/article_9ec85ae6-f9a4-5654-8bac-75382f809d52.html

To break it down for the chicken littles ===  Ash isn't being brought in to take over for Enos.  He will be analyzing our OPPONENTS offense and scouting tendencies for our defense.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

3kgthog

Waste...of...money. I guess we're in the people heppin' bidness now.

ricepig

Quote from: 3kgthog on June 03, 2016, 02:22:32 pm

It's a waste to have a team better prepared?

Wildhog

Nah, we've been needing a new one since Loney left.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Deep Shoat

So, Alabama is wasting money on all of the analysts they employ?
All Gas, No Brakes!

cosmodrum

Oh lort.
Go away, batin'

GolfnHog

Quote from: FraggleHog on June 02, 2016, 04:06:24 pm
Trying to find the connection as well... Only thing I see is he is a Des Moines, IA native and Iowa St. (Rhoads) is in Des Moines. I'm sure that Bielema will make the connection during his next presser, though...

Just for clarification Iowa State is in Ames, Iowa which is 36 miles N of Des Moines.  But I guess we could say UA is in Bentonville/Bella Vista since it's about the same distance. ;)
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

GolfnHog

Is it your money? Do you support the RF? Do you have any thing remotely positive to say about anything the Hogs do? Better yet, what makes you so dammed miserable that you don't find anything to be upbeat about? Did you take a sacred oath to be a contrarian to all things Razorback?
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

factchecker

Quote from: FraggleHog on June 02, 2016, 04:06:24 pm
Trying to find the connection as well... Only thing I see is he is a Des Moines, IA native and Iowa St. (Rhoads) is in Des Moines. I'm sure that Bielema will make the connection during his next presser, though...

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sports/bobcats/football/former-msu-coach-ash-joins-arkansas-staff-as-analyst/article_9ec85ae6-f9a4-5654-8bac-75382f809d52.html

QuoteRob Ash is set to begin a new chapter in his four- decade college football career.

The former Montana State head coach is joining Bret Bielema's program at Arkansas, the school announced Thursday, in a role that will allow him to use his offensive knowledge and also take part in Football Bowl Subdivision-level competition for the first time.

"It's a great opportunity to stay involved with football at a very high level, and I'm excited about it," Ash said in a phone interview Thursday. "I've known Bret for a long time .... He called me and said he had this position and would I be interested. It was kind of out of the blue. I've not coached at the FBS level in my career, so this is a breakthrough for me and that's very important for me, potentially, down the road."

ALSO

QuoteAsh and Bielema have several shared coaching connections, which helped lead to this opportunity. Ash had Chris Ash (no relation), Dave Doeren and Charlie Partridge on his staff at Drake, and all three worked with Bielema for stretches during his head coaching tenure at Wisconsin and Arkansas.

Chris Ash, Doeren and Partridge are now the head coaches at Rutgers, North Carolina State and Florida Atlantic, respectively.

"(Bielema) mentioned that those guys were all really good coaches and knew they had spent some time with me along the way and that was one of the positive things on the resume for me," the former Bobcats coach said.

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

King Kong

June 03, 2016, 03:34:11 pm #64 Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 05:41:55 pm by King Kong

Just when I thought you could not make a more ignorant Post than your previous ones. You top it.

Arkansas Hired Steve Looney to do this job after the first four games of the 2013 season. He reviewed opposing teams offensive tapes took notes of teams top 3rd down plays and Passing blocking schemes. He would then meet with Rob Smith for several hours a week to review this.

Now go do yourself a favor and look at our defensive stats for four games of that season and compare it to the last 9 games.

Paul

Waste...of...time.

colbs

Figured some will complain.  Not sure why though but it is HV.

longpig

worth every red cent if he can fix the press conference audio
Don't be scared, be smart.

longpig

Quote from: Smokehouse on June 03, 2016, 12:25:36 pm

Definitely a great hire, I'd like to see us get a defensive analyst and maybe even special teams.

The way I understand it, consultants are short term hires to take a quick look and give feedback on the team ( Haycock via Johnelle and Bielema hired one too early on, Neuheisel maybe) and analysts are semi permanent hires to scout upcoming opponents a few weeks or more ahead. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

greenie

I don't see how this is a bad idea in any way.  There's no real commitment to this guy.  If he adds something to the mix...great.  If he doesn't...he won't be around long.  He's not taking a spot from someone else. 

Unless you just don't like the guy, complaining at this point makes no sense. 

jackflash

snoblind

Quote from: ricepig on June 03, 2016, 02:28:34 pm
It's a waste to have a team better prepared?

Nah, he must have checked and found out BP doesn't have one.

Hawgar The Horrible

I was having a pretty good day at work and decided to check out Hogville at the last moment. Needless to say, I found myself driving home agitated by another STUPID comment by you. Congrats, you moron. You did it again.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

gawntrail

Quote from: Poppa Tart on June 03, 2016, 01:58:25 am

They deal directly with the coaches and staff. I guess they're considered consultants.

Coaching the coaches. 

JackJohnson

Some of these responses are just clueless.  Steve Loney is arguably the second biggest loss that CBB has had turnover wise on his staff behind Partridge.  Our D looked completely lost and clueless without him in 2015 after literally looking one step ahead of the offense basically all year in 2014. 

We are still WAY understaffed in terms of off field staffers (analyst's, consultants, recruiting assistants).  We still need several more to just be in the middle of the pack in the SEC, but this is a good start/hire.  Here is to hoping this guy is the next Loney

greenie

Quote from: JackJohnson on June 04, 2016, 08:09:45 am
Some of these responses are just clueless.  Steve Loney is arguably the second biggest loss that CBB has had turnover wise on his staff behind Partridge.  Our D looked completely lost and clueless without him in 2015 after literally looking one step ahead of the offense basically all year in 2014. 

We are still WAY understaffed in terms of off field staffers (analyst's, consultants, recruiting assistants).  We still need several more to just be in the middle of the pack in the SEC, but this is a good start/hire.  Here is to hoping this guy is the next Loney

Way better than my response...thanks, Jack.  The only motivation for criticizing this hire, that I can conjure, is based on a dislike of all things Bielema. 

Inhogswetrust

June 04, 2016, 09:38:55 am #76 Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 09:50:23 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: JackJohnson on June 04, 2016, 08:09:45 am

Did our D have ALL of the same personnel player wise in 15 as 14? No it didn't. How about our opponents offenses? No they didn't. Maybe Loney made that big of a difference or maybe not. A lot of factors are involved other than simply pointing out off field staff changes. I do agree that IF other schools have more staff then to make sure we are remaining competitive all around we need to add more as well. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

gawntrail

Breaking film is very tedious and time consuming.  If you can farm it out to competent people in the manner you want it done, AND, they can bring insight and expertise on that film..... well, that is money well spent considering the limitations both the NCAA and the clock put on a coach's life.  In return, these 'consultants' get a check and usually a good word for their next gig.  Win - Win.

SamBuckhart

I guess its ok to call him coach. Welcome Coach Ash.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Shrevepork

Why would Coach B. bother when he already has Hogville?

southeasthog

Waste...of...bandwidth. I guess we're in the idiot tolerating bidness now.

Ragnar Hogbrok

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.