Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Offensive Analyst Hired

Started by FraggleHog, June 02, 2016, 02:53:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FraggleHog

Calling the Hogs from DFW

ChitownHawg

Rhoads and now Ash. Is CBB stocking the shelf in case his coordinators get an offer they cannot refuse?
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

PorkSoda

nice, good to see that BB is consistently working to improve the program.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

longpig

Hopefully a defensive analyst is in the budget too.
Don't be scared, be smart.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: longpig on June 02, 2016, 03:05:46 pm

Nothing a good cover corner and linebacker cannot cure.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Atlhogfan1

Good to see we are getting more into the use of analysts.  Discussed here before how other SEC programs like AU had brought in multiple "analysts". 

Quote from: longpig on June 02, 2016, 03:05:46 pm

Hopefully Rhoads convinces Smith to let our DBs at least try and cover opposing wr's.

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

LZH

I assume that jobs like these do not count against the 9 coaching positions, correct? If so, good for Big Boy, you can't just sit back and watch the Alabamas of the world hire 863 "consultants" while you try to cover everything with just the coaches you have on the field. Too much film study and other details to take care of.

PorkSoda

Quote from: LZH on June 02, 2016, 03:21:28 pm
I assume that jobs like these do not count against the 9 coaching positions, correct? If so, good for Big Boy, you can't just sit back and watch the Alabamas of the world hire 863 "consultants" while you try to cover everything with just the coaches you have on the field. Too much film study and other details to take care of.
I agree.  at this level, you can't just leave film break down to a GA.  and with this guys experience, he could help streamline our offensive systems.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

LZH

Quote from: PorkSoda on June 02, 2016, 03:26:15 pm
I agree.  at this level, you can't just leave film break down to a GA.  and with this guys experience, he could help streamline our offensive systems.

To talk about the experience, I saw the number 36 in that first paragraph and then scroll down and saw where he started coaching in 1980, and I thought what the hell he started coaching when he was a baby? I guess I haven't heard of him before, but if Big'n likes him, well that is more than fine with me.

bennyl08

Quote from: LZH on June 02, 2016, 03:43:47 pm
To talk about the experience, I saw the number 36 in that first paragraph and then scroll down and saw where he started coaching in 1980, and I thought what the hell he started coaching when he was a baby? I guess I haven't heard of him before, but if Big'n likes him, well that is more than fine with me.

If he has been coaching every year since 1980 or somewhere in the football world, he'd have 36 years of experience...
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ricepig

We've had analysts the last few seasons, I can't remember their names, though. They've been older guys who have pre-scouted our upcoming opponents.

wupigsuey

A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

FraggleHog

Quote from: wupigsuey on June 02, 2016, 04:04:12 pm
Curious hire

Trying to find the connection as well... Only thing I see is he is a Des Moines, IA native and Iowa St. (Rhoads) is in Des Moines. I'm sure that Bielema will make the connection during his next presser, though...

longpig

9 is just the limit allowed on the sideline isn't it?

King Kong

June 02, 2016, 04:07:28 pm #14 Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 04:21:32 pm by King Kong
Quote from: wupigsuey on June 02, 2016, 04:04:12 pm
Curious hire

Not really. Dave Doeren, Charlie Partridge, and Chris Ash (no relation) all coached under him at Drake

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/15150753/drake-university-college-football-most-unlikely-coaching-tree

PorkSoda

Quote from: longpig on June 02, 2016, 04:07:11 pm

I think it has to do with recruiting mostly.

FraggleHog

wupigsuey

Quote from: King Kong on June 02, 2016, 04:07:28 pm
Not really. Dave Doren, Charlie Partridge, and Chris Ash (no relation) all coached under him at Drake

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/15150753/drake-university-college-football-most-unlikely-coaching-tree

Not talkin about coaching connections. Who he hired isn't the curious part.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

Atlhogfan1

And he was a Prez of the coaches association.  Coaches know coaches through things like that.  I'm sure with Bret's personality, he has had beers with many coaches at all different levels and developed connections. 

Quote from: wupigsuey on June 02, 2016, 04:11:54 pm

Then what?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

King Kong

I don't follow

Cure

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on June 02, 2016, 03:18:56 pm
Good to see we are getting more into the use of analysts.  Discussed here before how other SEC programs like AU had brought in multiple "analysts". 

Hopefully Rhoads convinces Smith to let our DBs at least try and cover opposing wr's.

CBB had them last year as well.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Cure on June 02, 2016, 05:34:38 pm
CBB had them last year as well.

Yep.  A "modern" coach.  AU has had them for at least a decade as have some other SEC programs.  Good to have a coach who will keep up with the trends.  We could consider doing as some others have and hire a HS coach from a region loaded with talent.  Blur those lines of recruiting integrity. 

HOGINTENNESSEE

Unfortunately, no one else on this board can see inside your head to follow what you find curious

bphi11ips

What impresses me about this hire, and other experienced head coaches Bret Bielema has hired, is Bielema's confidence in himself.  Some head coaches would feel threatened by assistants with more experience than themselves.  Bielema appears to place the best interest of the team above any insecurity he might have when it comes to his own ability.  Marked difference from one of his predecessors.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Killean

It's a really nice retirement consulting gig for someone who can probably help us out a lot.  (He's 65)
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

longpig

longpig

Quote from: ChitownHawg on June 02, 2016, 03:16:13 pm
Nothing a good cover corner and linebacker cannot cure.

Wouldn't it be the D of upcoming opponents he'd be analyzing? 

LZH

Quote from: longpig on June 02, 2016, 04:07:11 pm

I think so, but...honestly not sure.

longpig

Quote from: LZH on June 02, 2016, 11:36:35 pm
I think so, but...honestly not sure.

Where's a resident know it all when we need one?

factchecker

This article was written in 2010- not sure if the rules are current-

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/um-football/how-many-college-football-coaches/

QuoteNCAA Article 11: Conduct and Employment of Athletics Personnel:

11.7.2 Football Bowl Subdivision - There shall be a limit of one head coach, nine assistant coaches and two graduate assistant coaches who may be employed by an institution in bowl subdivision football.

11.7.2.1 Exceptions to Number Limits FBS - No individual other than coaches designated to fill the coaching categories set forth in Bylaw 11.7.2 may participate in any manner in the coaching of the intercollegiate team of a member institution during any football game, practice or other organized activity, with the following exceptions:

11.7.2.1.1 Weight or Strength Coach FBS - A weight (strength and conditioning) coach may conduct flexibility, warm-up and physical conditioning activities prior to any game and prior to or during any practice or other organized activities without being included in the limitations on number of coaches.

11.7.2.1.2 Undergraduate Coach FBS - The limits on the number of coaches in this section do not apply to undergraduate coaches.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

HogMantheIntruder

I actually called in to DTS (whatever, don't act like you've never done it) about this earlier. Apparently, we have had these guys since last season, but this is the first one to be named publicly. According to Trey Biddy, it's pretty common for coaches (particularly NFL assistants) to do this for a year while in between jobs. It's a high turnover gig, typically with new faces each season. So the weird part is just that he was named. Maybe he's planning on making this a long term stop? Regardless, the more former HC's on the staff, the better, IMO.

As far as recruiting and interaction with the players, that's a no no, which is why they don't count against the maximum number of nine (or whatever it is) coaches. They deal directly with the coaches and staff. I guess they're considered consultants.

On a side note, I also learned that BA thinks very highly of the VR system we got about a year ago. That is all.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

ricepig

Quote from: Poppa Tart on June 03, 2016, 01:58:25 am
I actually called in to DTS (whatever, don't act like you've never done it) about this earlier. Apparently, we have had these guys since last season, but this is the first one to be named publicly. According to Trey Biddy, it's pretty common for coaches (particularly NFL assistants) to do this for a year while in between jobs. It's a high turnover gig, typically with new faces each season. So the weird part is just that he was named. Maybe he's planning on making this a long term stop? Regardless, the more former HC's on the staff, the better, IMO.

As far as recruiting and interaction with the players, that's a no no, which is why they don't count against the maximum number of nine (or whatever it is) coaches. They deal directly with the coaches and staff. I guess they're considered consultants.

On a side note, I also learned that BA thinks very highly of the VR system we got about a year ago. That is all.

We've actually had them for a couple of years, but like most, I can't remember their names. Bielema talked a lot about the first guy and how he was always working two weeks ahead on our opponents, breaking down their tendencies. I want to say last years guy was a former O-line coach, but again, I don't remember the name.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on June 02, 2016, 05:56:08 pm
What impresses me about this hire, and other experienced head coaches Bret Bielema has hired, is Bielema's confidence in himself.  Some head coaches would feel threatened by assistants with more experience than themselves.  Bielema appears to place the best interest of the team above any insecurity he might have when it comes to his own ability.  Marked difference from one of his predecessors.

Good point. That is the sign of a good executive.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on June 02, 2016, 03:53:12 pm
We've had analysts the last few seasons, I can't remember their names, though. They've been older guys who have pre-scouted our upcoming opponents.

I didn't know that. And, I am sure that too many guys in some capacity of that role can muddy the water a bit. But I sure do think it is a good idea to have an experienced coach be able to begin watching film on a team that we won't play for a week or two, so he can later go to Bielema on the first day of practice preparing for that team and say "hey man we need to look at this and that."

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on June 03, 2016, 06:36:13 am
I didn't know that. And, I am sure that too many guys in some capacity of that role can muddy the water a bit. But I sure do think it is a good idea to have an experienced coach be able to begin watching film on a team that we won't play for a week or two, so he can later go to Bielema on the first day of practice preparing for that team and say "hey man we need to look at this and that."

Yeah, the GA's and Quality coaches are already doing that, these guys give you another set of experienced eyes who can focus only on scouting.

King Kong

Quote from: ricepig on June 03, 2016, 06:18:41 am
We've actually had them for a couple of years, but like most, I can't remember their names. Bielema talked a lot about the first guy and how he was always working two weeks ahead on our opponents, breaking down their tendencies. I want to say last years guy was a former O-line coach, but again, I don't remember the name.

First year was Steve Looney formerly of the Rams and think he now has a role with the Cowboys. Last year we had Eddie Williamson retired OL coach from TCU and a former DC from Shorthorns Greg Robinson I believe.

Hawgar The Horrible

Hire about 42 more and the Hogs will be matching Bama. That may be an exaggeration, but in recent years Saban has established a homeless shelter for out of work coaches in Tuscaloosa.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

ricepig

Quote from: King Kong on June 03, 2016, 08:02:19 am
First year was Steve Looney formerly of the Rams and think he now has a role with the Cowboys. Last year we had Eddie Williamson retired OL coach from TCU and a former DC from Shorthorns Greg Robinson I believe.

You must not be over 50, haha, thanks.

King Kong

ricepig

longpig

Quote from: factchecker on June 03, 2016, 12:57:01 am
This article was written in 2010- not sure if the rules are current-

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/um-football/how-many-college-football-coaches/

Thanks for the link.   There's any number of Hogvillians Bielema could  hire with 11.7.2.1.2. 

colbs

?

MontanaHog

I got to observe Rob Ash from close range while he was at Montana State. He inherited a troubled but winning program, with lots of players having serious off-the-field issues. Within a couple of years, he had eliminated the bad apples and built a consistent conference championship contender. He recruited heavily from Texas and California. He was well liked by the players, administration, and Bobcat Nation.

In his last three seasons, his teams started strong but folded late in the year. The defense, in particular, got weaker with each game. Even though the offense consistently put up numbers like a pinball machine, no lead was safe. And he couldn't consistently beat Montana. That ultimately was what got him fired. Still, it was a shock to the locals when it happened.

He's a good man, knows offense, and was able to recruit solid players to what's perceived as a backwater. I think he'll be a good contributor.

RedyorNot

RedyorNot

Quote from: MontanaHog on June 03, 2016, 10:53:18 am
I got to observe Rob Ash from close range while he was at Montana State. He inherited a troubled but winning program, with lots of players having serious off-the-field issues. Within a couple of years, he had eliminated the bad apples and built a consistent conference championship contender. He recruited heavily from Texas and California. He was well liked by the players, administration, and Bobcat Nation.

In his last three seasons, his teams started strong but folded late in the year. The defense, in particular, got weaker with each game. Even though the offense consistently put up numbers like a pinball machine, no lead was safe. And he couldn't consistently beat Montana. That ultimately was what got him fired. Still, it was a shock to the locals when it happened.

He's a good man, knows offense, and was able to recruit solid players to what's perceived as a backwater. I think he'll be a good contributor.

Thanks for your insight, one of my buddies from Montana has said the same about his reputation. CBB keeps bringing quality guys in.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: RedyorNot on June 03, 2016, 11:24:33 am
Thanks for your insight, one of my buddies from Montana has said the same about his reputation. CBB keeps bringing quality guys in.

Montana may not have a large population but there is some good football played up there. Sounds familiar doesn't it.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

OldCoot

Seems to be a good hire.  How in the hell does he get canned for one bad season after turning the entire program around at a nothing program?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: OldCoot on June 03, 2016, 11:35:47 am
Seems to be a good hire.  How in the hell does he get canned for one bad season after turning the entire program around at a nothing program?

That doesn't make sense does it. This is the only think I could find that touched on it. Fields is the AD there and this was reported in the news up there:

"Fields did note, however, that Ash's 4-14 record against rivals Montana and Eastern Washington was part of the overall evaluation of the program."

P.S. He lost three straight his last three seasons there to their arch rival Montana. Over all though his prior record should have earned him the benefit of the doubt.

cosmodrum

Quote from: colbs on June 03, 2016, 10:53:02 am
?

My guess is that he doesn't like the hire because he's a small school guy or something. I can only guess since he won't respond to you guys.
Go away, batin'

JOKERHOG

The sideline pic looks a lil like another Robert from Montana
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU