Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Happy Memorial Day!

Started by Doug, May 30, 2016, 07:48:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug

I hope everyone has an absolutely safe day today.

To those that have lost loved ones, we stand with you in remembering the ultimate sacrifice they have made. We honor them. We salute them.

Please, take a few moments in between your partying and BBQing to say a prayer for these fallen Soldiers.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

bcdeputy

on Memorial Day, the U.S. flag only flies at half-staff for the first half of the day, and then is raised to full height from noon to sundown. This unique custom honors the war dead for the morning, and living veterans for the rest of the day.

I agree with Doug.  Party all you want and have a good time, but try to pause at some point and remember.

longtimeHogfan

We set aside Memorial Day every year to remember and thank all those who've given their all in America's wars.  It's also a good time to say thank-you to all our men and women in uniform here and around the world.  We appreciate your service!
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

HogimusMaximus

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: bcdeputy on May 30, 2016, 08:17:42 am
on Memorial Day, the U.S. flag only flies at half-staff for the first half of the day, and then is raised to full height from noon to sundown. This unique custom honors the war dead for the morning, and living veterans for the rest of the day.

If I'd ever known this I'd forgotten.  Thank you. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

LZH

About two miles down the beach from where I live, at Indian Rocks Beach, there is a retired fellow who is a Vietnam veteran and the brother of a soldier who was killed in Vietnam. Every single day he plays Taps on the beach at sunset. And I do mean every single day....if he is in town and the weather is accommodating, he is on that beach with his bugle. If the rain holds off, I bet today will be something else.

Have a good day everyone.

goodguytex

May 30, 2016, 09:09:17 am #6 Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 12:13:54 pm by goodguytex
On this day I remember all those who fought and died to give me freedom I enjoy, like my Dad who fought in Korean war, my grandfather who fought in WWII, my great uncle who was stationed in the USS Arizona when the japaneseattacked pearl harbor, my uncle's and my brother who have served, and my cousin, Staff sergent Kenneth Jenkins who gave his life in the most recent war in Iraq.
And my cousin Kyle Stout who gave his life in Afghanistan. 

These people fought and many cases died for us. They must be remembered, respected and never forgotten. My thanks and sincere appreciation to them all.

gmarv

I agree with Doug.  Party all you want and have a good time, but try to pause at some point and remember.
this was something I did not know. thanks for the info. I will for sure take a few moments to remember our vets.

TheRazorback500

Thanks, Doug. Same to ya. Always remember our fallen heroes. Woopig.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

ALLVOL

Quote from: Doug on May 30, 2016, 07:48:04 am

To those that have lost loved ones, we stand with you in remembering the ultimate sacrifice they have made. We honor them. We salute them.

Please, take a few moments in between your partying and BBQing to say a prayer for these fallen Soldiers.
Here here sir! Raising a toast and a prayer to those lost and their loved ones.

MuskogeeHogFan

My prayers go out to all who are currently serving and those who have served in the past. Those who have died in doing so, those who were injured and continue to live with those injuries today and all who have put their lives and their time in service on the line for this country, whether physically or emotionally injured or not. May God bless all of you and thank you for having taken time out of your lives, careers and away from your families to serve our country.
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

We've been at Mammoth Cave National Park since Thursday. Internet service here is terrible. But we are remembering and honoring those that fought and made the ultimate sacrifice for the rest of us to be able to live free and visit places like this.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Vantage 8 dude

When one truly thinks about the most tragic aspect of war perhaps it all comes down to the terrible waste of human life. The futures that will forever go unfulfilled, the songs that will never be sung and poems that will never be written, the words that will never be spoken, the love that will never be shared by those who gave their all. May we, the living, vow to lead our lives in a way that would forever honor those who were never given that opportunity.  :'( :'(

May God provide the rest and comfort to those who died to protect and promote our freedoms. May we who remain behind ensure that these rights and liberties remain an American way of life forever!!

hoglady

Thank you for posting that information.
I was wondering as I was driving around I noticed the various business' flags - some at half staff and some a full height. I guess I never knew.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

SamBuckhart

Yes
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Iwastherein1969

In memory of my father, who at 18 signed up as a buck private in 1940...was sent to Paris, Texas (Camp Maxey) for basic training then to NYC to wait deployment to the European theater. Was deployed to London, England was assigned to the 99the Infantry Division under the able leadership of General Omar Bradley. Was in the Battle of the Bulge where several thousand American soldiers were surrounded by Nazi's and the Army sent my grandmother a letter of "missing in action". Upon his fortunate survival of WWII he met and married my mom in Harlingen, TX, although my Father grew up in SW Arkansas on a farm designed just to survive not to make money. He loved the Razorbacks, good lord did he love being a UA alum once he came home from Texas after the WWII. My greatest thrill was my dad asking me (an 8 year old boy at the time) would I like to go to a Razorback game and see where he went to college and see his name on something he called 'senior walk'. Of course I said yes and the year just happened to be 1969 and it was the Texas game. My greatest memory of him because it was just us two. Sorry to run on but I wanted to take the time to let people know just how much admiration I have for Pops and always will until my last breath. RIP Daddy on the Memorial Day
The long Grey line will never fail our country.