Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema on Briles, satellite camps, and what it will take to win the SEC.

Started by ricepig, May 27, 2016, 09:06:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

As usual, several glaring mistake on players/teams and such, but interesting to find out we are being shut out in N.O. and Texas on camps.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/05/arkansas_coach_bret_bielema_we.html

CFB_Fanatic

CBB on the Dallas camp being cancelled:

"The team we were going to do one with in Dallas was part of a (university) system that had a big brother that eliminated the possibility of that happening. For a month and a half, I'd been planning to do it. It was basically eliminated overnight."

hogcard1964

So wait, we're NOT doing a satellite camp in Dallas now?  Why?    :o

dhizzle

I guess some people were right about Texas A&M crying to commerce about Arkansas having a camp at Jerry's world. I can't stand that crap.

hogcard1964

Quote from: dhizzle on May 27, 2016, 09:32:00 am
I guess some people were right about Texas A&M crying to commerce about Arkansas having a camp at Jerry's world. I can't stand that crap.

Then we really need to rethink our "neutral site" games with them.

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 27, 2016, 09:26:39 am
So wait, we're NOT doing a satellite camp in Dallas now?  Why?    :o

All camps have to be hosted by an instate school, therefor Arkansas cannot run its own camp in Texas. We were in partnership with Texas A&M-Commonwealth since April but just a few nights ago they pulled out and no one around here knew for sure why, though most speculated TAMU put a stop to it. Turns out this is what CBB is saying happened. Abilene Christian supposedly picked up hosting the camp, but we still cancelled, though we still dont have a reason as to why we cancelled on them either. 

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

ricepig

Quote from: Pork Twain on May 27, 2016, 09:35:16 am
Read the article

That would be a change in his posting, always act outraged and surprised on any perceived negative info.

Buff

Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 27, 2016, 09:33:14 am

Let's get a neutral site game with some PAC-Something team and make A&M come to Fayetteville.  And then reschedule that game for November.

ricepig

Quote from: Buff on May 27, 2016, 09:47:43 am
Let's get a neutral site game with some PAC-Something team and make A&M come to Fayetteville.  And then reschedule that game for November.

aTm would prefer home and home, we're the one pushing Arlington.

RazrRila99

Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 27, 2016, 09:33:14 am

Read what @ricepig said - aTm is pushing for home and home (not getting as much from Jerruh as they would at Kyle).  We are winning this one.  Soon, winning on the field.

Grizzlyfan

A really obvious question.  If people on this message board could surmise within minutes that the flagship Texas A & M had killed this venture with A & M Commerce, why could no one see that coming in advance?

a0ashle

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on May 27, 2016, 10:02:15 am
A really obvious question.  If people on this message board could surmise within minutes that the flagship Texas A & M had killed this venture with A & M Commerce, why could no one see that coming in advance?

I am sure there was anticipation that something like this could happen, but what can you do? You have to try and see if they will take it to that level or if they will let you have the camp.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Buff on May 27, 2016, 09:47:43 am

+1000

Wouldn't Jerry have some pull in favor of the us regarding this camp?

ricepig

Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 27, 2016, 10:12:28 am
+1000

I doubt Jerry has much pull in the aTm system.......

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 27, 2016, 10:12:28 am
+1000

Is Jerry the Chancellor of an in state school that can co-host a camp with an out of state school?

No.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on May 27, 2016, 09:35:12 am
All camps have to be hosted by an instate school, therefor Arkansas cannot run its own camp in Texas. We were in partnership with Texas A&M-Commonwealth since April but just a few nights ago they pulled out and no one around here knew for sure why, though most speculated TAMU put a stop to it. Turns out this is what CBB is saying happened. Abilene Christian supposedly picked up hosting the camp, but we still cancelled, though we still dont have a reason as to why we cancelled on them either.
Perhaps the reason (or at least A reason) we cancelled is the confusion and uncertainty all the changes were having on the overall participation/likelihood of the camp being as successful as they'd like. Not having and insight into all the goings on and the "behind the scenes" we're left to wonder and speculation. And at this point that's all it is-speculation. However, I find it interesting, but not particularly surprising, that some what to go off on CBB for deciding not to hold the camp this year. Perhaps if, and when, all the FACTS are revealed we'll have a better idea of the reason(s) for the decision.

Suidae Suis Scrofa

Quote from: ricepig on May 27, 2016, 09:06:43 am
As usual, several glaring mistake on players/teams and such

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/05/arkansas_coach_bret_bielema_we.html

I remember the year that "Russell Wilson was ... quarterback (at Arkansas)".   That was the year we won the national championship.

For a paper in arguably the most rabid football state in the country, they don't seem to have a good sports editor.

-phil

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ricepig on May 24, 2016, 01:59:55 pm
When Bielema comes out and says aTm blocked us, then I'll believe it. And if they did, you can count on him saying it.

Believe it now?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ricepig

woodhog14

Quote from: dhizzle on May 27, 2016, 09:32:00 am

So you thought that ARKANSAS just pulled out of that camp? It was obvious that A&M made A&M Commerce pull out. I can't believe we had fans crying thinking that we pulled out of that camp. Hahahaha...

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: a0ashle on May 27, 2016, 10:10:02 am
I am sure there was anticipation that something like this could happen, but what can you do? You have to try and see if they will take it to that level or if they will let you have the camp.
Considering how obvious this move by A&M appeared, I don't understand why we didn't try to set this up with Rice or SMU or Texas State or one of the other teams not under a direct competitor's wing.

But I will say, I have absolutely zero knowledge about the behind the scenes workings here so I'm not prepared to cast aspersions.

ricepig

Quote from: woodhog14 on May 27, 2016, 10:55:09 am
So you thought that ARKANSAS just pulled out of that camp? It was obvious that A&M made A&M Commerce pull out. I can't believe we had fans crying thinking that we pulled out of that camp. Hahahaha...

No, most were wanting an explanation on why we pulled out after Abilene Christian agreed to host it, that's all.

jry04

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on May 27, 2016, 11:00:22 am
Considering how obvious this move by A&M appeared, I don't understand why we didn't try to set this up with Rice or SMU or Texas State or one of the other teams not under a direct competitor's wing.

But I will say, I have absolutely zero knowledge about the behind the scenes workings here so I'm not prepared to cast aspersions.
Because any school in Texas who allows outside schools to come in and camp in the state will not be invited to any of the Texas schools' camps. If any of those schools partner with Ark, then Texas, A&M, TCU, etc will all be left out of their camps.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: jry04 on May 27, 2016, 11:08:03 am
Because any school in Texas who allows outside schools to come in and camp in the state will not be invited to any of the Texas schools' camps. If any of those schools partner with Ark, then Texas, A&M, TCU, etc will all be left out of their camps.
A valid point. Didn't seem to bother ACU, though. Maybe they're too small-time to care about other camps?

But if I were a small college in Texas, I don't think I'd care about being invited to those camps and instead set myself up as the gateway school for out-of-state teams (and take their money for doing so  8)  ) I have to think that at that level, the money for the program is more important than lost recruiting potential. (I recognize that Rice and SMU are not that small so I retract them from my previous comment)

hogcard1964

ricepig

BRHogfan

Quote from: ricepig on May 27, 2016, 11:01:43 am
No, most were wanting an explanation on why we pulled out after Abilene Christian agreed to host it, that's all.

I imagine that it was just going to be too tough to pull it off in the short time frame.  If A&M had blocked in early May, then yeah, but they kinda did it at the 11th hour.

hogcard1964

Quote from: ricepig on May 27, 2016, 12:15:32 pm
Did you read the article?

Yes

I didn't see where he actually said that.  ...sorry if I missed it but where is it?

ricepig

Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 27, 2016, 12:24:15 pm
Yes

I didn't see where he actually said that.  ...sorry if I missed it but where is it?

Try reading it again, this time a little slower and you'll be able to comprehend it. If not, have your mommy read it for you.

hogcard1964

Quote from: ricepig on May 27, 2016, 12:43:16 pm
Try reading it again, this time a little slower and you'll be able to comprehend it. If not, have your mommy read it for you.

OK, hang on.

MOM!

TebowHater

Mechanism:
Money in LA
Threatened firing of school admins in TX

Really has become a thing about the powers that be

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 27, 2016, 12:24:15 pm
Yes

Really dude?

Bielema said. "We were in a partnership with a school in Louisiana to go in and do one in New Orleans, but certain people in Louisiana didn't want to see that happen. So all of a sudden, that was removed. We were going to do one in Dallas. The team we were going to do one with in Dallas was part of a (university) system that had a big brother that eliminated the possibility of that happening.

reddogjcss

Seems like A&M learned a lot from its big brother the shorthorns

Hawghiggs

Two things.

First. We need to work a deal with Tulane.  If they will host a football camp in New Orleans with use ever year. we will play a three game series in football and play one game in New Orleans. Plus a basketball series with them.

Second. SMU. We need to do the same thing with those guys.

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

Porquemada

What about North Texas or SMU? Baylor probably needs a partner.

PonderinHog

What about that lingerie football team ???  Surely some of them are in some cosmetology school down that way...

Pork Twain

Quote from: ricepig on May 27, 2016, 11:01:43 am

No, most were crying without all the facts.  Hogville norm
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

ricepig

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/bret-bielema-sec-coaches-are-carnivores-raiding-rival-states-on-satellite-camps

Arkansas is scheduled to participate in satellite camps in Houston, Atlanta, Tampa and Detroit, Bielema said. The dynamic between the coaches as they raid rivals' states is certainly interesting.

"There's a lot of intraconference struggles to say the least," Bielema said.

WilsonHog

I can't get too upset over this. If another SEC school attempted to have a satellite camp in Arkansas, I would expect Bret to do everything he could politically to block it.

go hogues

But but but Arkansas will benefit from A&M being in the SEC....
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />