Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 travel pics - from down the street to far east

Started by HogNuttz, November 09, 2010, 07:47:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HogNuttz

November 09, 2010, 07:47:58 am Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 07:55:40 am by HogNuttz

Timberline Lake in Colorado

Sunset on Mt. Fuji, Japan

Roatan, Honduras

Roatan, Honduras

Mt. Magazine

Down the street from my house.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

SteveInArk

- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

HogNuttz

Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

ennairb

I LOVE your shots!! great job capturing the vivid colors. Have you ever been to Glacier Nation Park? One of my favorite spots is Flathead Lake...

HogNuttz

November 12, 2010, 12:09:03 pm #5 Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 12:55:00 pm by HogNuttz
Quote from: ennairb on November 11, 2010, 07:14:01 pm
I LOVE your shots!! great job capturing the vivid colors. Have you ever been to Glacier Nation Park? One of my favorite spots is Flathead Lake...

I'm assuming you mean Glacier National Park but no I've never been there but want to bad.  As far as capturing the color in these shots, I actually set my camera up to take three shots in succession, each with a different exposure.  Each exposure has a different color range, but the range will overlap some with the other pictures.  Then the three exposures are blended together.  This gives a bigger range of colors in the final picture and every area gets properly exposed instead of having really black shadows or a white blown out sky.  Since a camera is much less sensitive to light than the human eye, the final picture is almost always more representative of what the eye sees as compared with any of the three individual pictures.

On some of these pictures I used the forementioned method and on others I didn't.

SteveInArk

Quote from: HogNuttz on November 12, 2010, 12:09:03 pm
...  As far as capturing the color in these shots, I actually set my camera up to take three shots in succession, each with a different exposures.  Each exposure has a different color range, but the range will overlap some with the other pictures.  Then the three exposures are blended together.  ...

Is that a built-in capability of your camera (high-end?), or do you shoot them off a tripod, over several minutes, changing the settings manually?
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

HogNuttz

November 12, 2010, 01:02:10 pm #7 Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 01:04:40 pm by HogNuttz
Quote from: SteveInArk on November 12, 2010, 12:53:27 pm
Is that a built-in capability of your camera (high-end?), or do you shoot them off a tripod, over several minutes, changing the settings manually?

I have a camera where I can change a couple settings and it will do it automatically with the push of a single button.  My camera is a Nikon D5000, which I bought for $770 with lens about a year ago.  Somee cameras can't be set to do this but settings can be manually changed to acheive the same effect and if your familiar with your camera, you can usually gather all 3 pictures in less than a minute.  With landscape photography this isn't a problem.  If your getting a cityscape with lots of moving cars and such....well the cars are obviously going to be in a different location in each photo even with the camera taking them in rapid sucession. Tripod is an absolute must.  Google HDR (high dynamic range) photography and you can read all about it.  For other examples visit thephotoforum.com's HDR forum.   They have a forum just for HDR photograpy and you can see many examples and discussions on the topic if you are interested.

SteveInArk

November 12, 2010, 01:09:56 pm #8 Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 01:21:44 pm by SteveInArk
Thanks a lot... I will check them out for sure.  Your shots, again, are beautiful.

HogNuttz

Quote from: SteveInArk on November 12, 2010, 01:09:56 pm
Thanks a lot... I will check them out for sure.  Your shot, again, are beautiful.

Thanks. 

If anyone is interested all these prints are for sale.  I basically charge my cost.  I enjoy taking pictures not selling them.