Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Amazon raised free shipping minmum to $49.00

Started by DeltaBoy, February 23, 2016, 01:13:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-amazon-com-shipping-idUSKCN0VV1YO

Time to Join Prime.

Amazon.com Inc has raised its free-shipping threshold for orders from non-Prime customers to $49 from $35 in the United States.

Orders of books worth $25 or more will, however, be eligible for free shipping, according to the shopping website. (amzn.to/Jl3EAc)

Amazon has been spending on rolling out several new services for members of its $99-a-year Prime loyalty program, including one-hour delivery and original TV programming, to attract customers in a highly competitive online shopping market.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HawgWild

I remember hearing when Amazon upped the free shipping minimum amount from $25 to $35 that they could not be profitable with their free shipping offer. They really need to get people to join PRIME.

OldCoot

I am not happy with Prime.  They rarely meet their 2 day "guarantee".

PorkSoda

Quote from: OldCoot on February 24, 2016, 06:36:32 pm
and free shipping usually doesnt count for hawaii.

not a problem for main landers, but getting things shipped to hawaii ranges between costly to impossible.

I thought prime was the answer, but what they don't tell you is that it pretty much does not apply to hawaii or alaska.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

TomasPistola

Wow, I never have a problem with that. In fact, several times I've gotten it in a day. Maybe because I live in Atlanta. Dunno, but we love Prime here.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

DeltaBoy

I would think with the volume they are moving they could still make money at $35.00.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

HawgWild

I put whatever I'm going to buy on my Wish List and when I get above the free shipping amount I place an order. I did this before trying out PRIME with their introductory offer last fall and will go back to this when I don't renew when the it expires.

bplease

If they rarely meet it you should have months of free prime.
Quote from: Feralhog on April 09, 2012, 07:30:33 pm
Didn't respond to the poll.  If a football coach is responsible for teaching my son morality, I'm not much of a Father.

DeltaBoy

OldCoot

Quote from: bplease on March 01, 2016, 10:19:41 am
If they rarely meet it you should have months of free prime.

They now say their guarantee is "around" 2 days.  I'm not satisfied with them at all.  But quitting them would be like quitting wal-mart, impossible.

HawgWild

It's not like you can't order from them if you don't have Prime. What do you lose by not renewing? Streaming video but it's not as good as Netflix IMO. My non-Prime orders were making it in 3-4 days normally. Only about half my Prime orders make the 2 day "around" date. Not worth the money to me.

bplease

Quote from: HawgWild on March 04, 2016, 04:35:08 pm
It's not like you can't order from them if you don't have Prime. What do you lose by not renewing? Streaming video but it's not as good as Netflix IMO. My non-Prime orders were making it in 3-4 days normally. Only about half my Prime orders make the 2 day "around" date. Not worth the money to me.
Split the membership with 4 other people (5 total), that's what we did up until this past year. Only the primary holder can access the streaming video, the rest only get the "free" shipping.
Quote from: Feralhog on April 09, 2012, 07:30:33 pm
Didn't respond to the poll.  If a football coach is responsible for teaching my son morality, I'm not much of a Father.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on March 08, 2016, 02:51:31 pm
I love Prime.

Me too.  And anyone in grad school, or with an open .edu email address can get it super cheap.  I think we pay like $4 a month, or maybe even less.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 09, 2016, 01:59:27 pm
Me too.  And anyone in grad school, or with an open .edu email address can get it super cheap.  I think we pay like $4 a month, or maybe even less.
It was $50 a year I believe.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Boll Hawg

Quote from: Wildhog on March 08, 2016, 02:51:31 pm
I love Prime.

I'm a big fan of Prime also.  For me, they've never missed their two day shipping guarantee.  And I've ordered LOTS from them.  I use their streaming video service quite a bit also.  I also use their music service (awesome!) and photo storage.  I totally get my $ worth.   
Father, Husband, Teacher, Veteran

husker71

The company I worked for used to have a local salesman come by to get their monthly maintainance orders and then get the order several days later   now just Amazon   except for emergencies  you get such a better selection on items that you can really save some money     

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 19, 2016, 05:00:38 pm
PorkSoda,

Sorry for resurrecting such an old post, but today I saw a package shipped from Hawaii.  A box the size of about three shoeboxes (but not containing shoes so it wasn't heavy) cost $28 to ship form Hawaii to Arkansas. 

Wow.   

Coffee or Blue Hawaiian?

DeltaBoy

At my work place they wait and bundle orders from Oriental Trading Company cause shipping with them is outrageous. I got a Order about ready for June with some post Graduation gifts for my daughter.