Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How surprised will you be?

Started by lakecityhog, February 14, 2018, 06:16:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lakecityhog

If at the end of spring practice our starting 22 looks eerily familiar to the end of last season will you be:
Shocked?
Disappointed?
Cautiously excited?

When I look at our roster, especially the returning "starters", I see a group of guys that in most cases were highly sought after. I see a group of guys with loads of unused talent and ability. I DON"T see a bunch of no talent, over-matched players. Also, I don't see a ton of youngsters that are so much more talented that they will unseat these guys without a fight.

My guess is that we will see close to 90% of our returning starters back in their same positions and that is a good thing. Naturally we will see a new QB, a new Center and some shake-up with the receivers since we are adding a "full time" slot guy. (Naming a new center does not qualify as a "change" since we have to replace a graduate)

Defensively a change back to the 4-3/5-2 will cause some movement to occur. I think by early season Gerald will be a starter at DE, but it may take him a bit of time to learn the system. I expect TJ Smith to start out opposite Agim after some trimming down. Gerald my well unseat him by early September.
With Tolliver, Richardson and Liddell gone, plus Pulley returning I fully expect some shake-up there. Basically, a required safety and nickel change with no returner losing his spot.

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

wildhogman

Well, this isn't pro football where you can trade away half your team or use free agency.  So we have what we have.  The faces we are familiar with are also the ones with the most experience playing SEC football.  So no it wont surprise me to see most of them in starting roles again this year.  The difference "might" be which position some play on the O-line and D-line.  There might be some switching of positions.
I think what will be more surprising to some is how well these kids play. Reduced weight, more emphasize on quickness(and speed as much as it can improve), schemes.  They need to get out of spring ball with a good understanding of the schemes and spend from then until august practicing. 7on7, O-line and D-line going against each other.  They need to have the "want to", if they intend to improve as much as they might be capable

hogsanity

If I were Coach Morris, I would not even release a 2 deep after spring practice.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GuvHog

Quote from: lakecityhog on February 14, 2018, 06:16:43 pm
If at the end of spring practice our starting 22 looks eerily familiar to the end of last season will you be:
Shocked?
Disappointed?
Cautiously excited?

When I look at our roster, especially the returning "starters", I see a group of guys that in most cases were highly sought after. I see a group of guys with loads of unused talent and ability. I DON"T see a bunch of no talent, over-matched players. Also, I don't see a ton of youngsters that are so much more talented that they will unseat these guys without a fight.

My guess is that we will see close to 90% of our returning starters back in their same positions and that is a good thing. Naturally we will see a new QB, a new Center and some shake-up with the receivers since we are adding a "full time" slot guy. (Naming a new center does not qualify as a "change" since we have to replace a graduate)

Defensively a change back to the 4-3/5-2 will cause some movement to occur. I think by early season Gerald will be a starter at DE, but it may take him a bit of time to learn the system. I expect TJ Smith to start out opposite Agim after some trimming down. Gerald my well unseat him by early September.
With Tolliver, Richardson and Liddell gone, plus Pulley returning I fully expect some shake-up there. Basically, a required safety and nickel change with no returner losing his spot.

I wouldn't b surprised at all nor would I be disappointed. I've expected all along that the overwhelming majority of those who started last year will start this year. I expect Gerald to quickly become a starting DE. A JUCO player that highly touted isn't being brought in to sit on the bench.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

The NewEra

I expect to see a good number of the same players this year.  I also believe we will see a much more physical and technically proficient group of players.  My belief is coaching has been our problem and if it wasn't, we'll see the same type of performance this year and we could have saved $12MM.  I've never thought our problem was predominantly talent.

liljo

I won't be shocked. I think many of the "names" will be the same, but I think many of the "players" will be hard to recognize. They will have all changed so much. In very good ways, too. I think they will believe in themselves again, too.

I think some opponents this year are going to be shocked. Hard work really does pay off. And that starts at the top.

I believe we may have assembled The Hardest Working Staff in the Country.
GO HOGS.
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

Hawgboy64

Doesn't matter either way. I just want 11 on the field that gives us the best chance of winning.
"Of all the things I've lost, my mind is what I miss the most." Mark Twain

Piggfoot

Quote from: The NewEra on February 15, 2018, 10:33:13 am
I expect to see a good number of the same players this year.  I also believe we will see a much more physical and technically proficient group of players.  My belief is coaching has been our problem and if it wasn't, we'll see the same type of performance this year and we could have saved $12MM.  I've never thought our problem was predominantly talent.
Our problem was lack of conditioning and depth. We had some depth but Bielema elected to redshirt them. We ran out of gas in games where we had control in the first half then hit a brick wall in the second half. Early in the season being out of condition allowed teams to out play us from the beginning .  We should have handled these easily. I didn't agree with the heavy weight training and think that was  the cause of many of the foot injuries.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Jim Harris

Shocked?
Disappointed?
Cautiously excited?

I'm certain three defensive starters from last year who won't be starting this year, so I will be very happy. Addition by subtraction.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

I wouldn't be surprised at all. Last years team had plenty of talent on it (as I said all along) but the man making the decisions wasn't firing on all cylinders, so to speak. We may not have players at the level of Alabama or Georgia, but there is no reason we should be blowing leads to Rutgers, getting beat by Toledo, barely beating LA Tech or having to come from behind to beat Coastal Carolina at home.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Shocked?
Disappointed?
Cautiously excited?

I don't understand how you can make your statement about starters and so casually assume that "Naturally we will have a new QB"... Cole Kelley is a winner and a fighter, and NOT in the dumbass Nutt kind of way. The kid is not going to lay down, he fits the system and he's going to get just as good of a shot as anyone else. While I do believe there will be one helluva fight for the QB spot, I don't see a change as a natural conclusion. Whomever wins the spot will have earned the darn out of it.

UNLESS you're counting any QB including Kelley as a new starter...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

jgphillips3

Well, when you are looking at 22 first string positions and 44 in the 2 deep I would be surprised if the vast majority aren't familiar names...say 75-85% or more so long as you don't consider a 1st string falling to 2nd and a 2nd string rising to first as a "change".  I do expect certain position groups to have more changes than others.  The OL, DL and LB could all see some serious shuffling since we will be asking different things of them.  I expect the secondary and skill positions to look relatively the same, but with certain players blossoming in this offense.

Tejano Jawg

I wouldn't be surprised simply because that possibility exists. We questioned why some guys weren't getting more PT last year—a running back or o-lineman here and there—but for the most part I believe the guys who should have been starting WERE starting.

Yes, I want some new guys in the mix. I want a few lesser-known guys to be "discovered" and win a starting job...just for the excitement. What if we start a running back we weren't expecting? Or a receiver? I trust if Morris recognizes talent and believes that Kid-X needs to be in the regular rotation, he will be.

Our roster will look a little different anyway. Most obvious will be replacing our quarterback and best running back. On D, as mentioned, we had a lot of seniors in the secondary.

I think this is an interesting question/topic. I'm curious what everyone thinks...how different does our 2 deep need to look for you to be happy?
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

BigE_23

LZH

Quote from: The NewEra on February 15, 2018, 10:33:13 am

I'm not even sure the individual coaching was as bad as it appeared. I think it was just as much a matter of the captain of the ship knew it was sinking and the whole second half of the season was rudderless as he slipped further into self-destructive behavior. He clearly was not a leader.

I understand the "we could've saved $12M" point, but we just couldn't allow the program to bottom out....which is exactly where it was headed. Even if Morris underperforms and goes 4-8 this year, we're still better off. And if it becomes clear that he can't cut it, in four or five years we'll look for another "good" coach.

The NewEra

Quote from: LZH on February 15, 2018, 12:16:19 pm
I'm not even sure the individual coaching was as bad as it appeared. I think it was just as much a matter of the captain of the ship knew it was sinking and the whole second half of the season was rudderless as he slipped further into self-destructive behavior. He clearly was not a leader.

I understand the "we could've saved $12M" point, but we just couldn't allow the program to bottom out....which is exactly where it was headed. Even if Morris underperforms and goes 4-8 this year, we're still better off. And if it becomes clear that he can't cut it, in four or five years we'll look for another "good" coach.

I agree with you that it was all the head coach.  We have no idea how good the assistants could have been with the right leadership.

Regarding the $12MM, I was saying if it wasn't a coaching problem then we didn't need to spend the money on a buyout and get a new coach.

I expect to see some rarely used players get much more playing time with this staff.  Hammonds comes to mind.  If Hammonds has the want to, he will be on the field on 80 plus percent of the offensive plays.  Now that would be change.

The big change I see is if the chosen starter is having trouble producing, he will be replaced by the other player(s) familiar with that spot.  I believe we will have a true two deep everywhere and it will be used.  Special Teams will be special.  Expect to see 50 players get several snaps per game.  No longer will players be annointed to a position, they'll have to earn it.  I also do not believe you will see a huge drop off when there is a position change at most positions.

The big surprises on offense for me will be who starts at QB and TE and in the slot.  Except for maybe 2 or 3 players, I haven't seen much difference in the o-line Guys so I won't be surprised who starts there.  On D, I expect to see Guys playing positions whom we never even thought about being moved there.  I think we'll see speed on the defense over techique.  It doesn't matter if a Guy has perfect tackle techique if he cannot get there to make the tackle.  I expect we'll find a way to scare the opposing QB sometimes. 

In general, teams we play will actually have to at least take a bath after the game.  In the past 2 or 3 seasons, opposing teams didn't get sweaty or dirty playing us so there was no need for an aftergame shower.

davehog

I hope we see the youth movement next season. If it's anywhere close in ability then the younger guys should get the PT.

Experience is the great equalizer in college football.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 15, 2018, 11:00:36 am
I'm certain three defensive starters from last year who won't be starting this year, so I will be very happy. Addition by subtraction.
Boom, Jim and I don't always agree but when we do, its because he is absolutely spot on! We had 3 players that should never be on the field save to give someone a breather! They cant ever play a down in college again.

razorbackfaninar

When I was a kid I wanted a guitar really bad.  I asked for one for Christmas.  What I had envisioned was an awesome electric guitar, but what I got was a used classical acoustic guitar.  I had assumed that when you picked up an electric guitar you could automatically play sweet rock and roll.  Since my mom had bought this stupid looking old lady guitar I figured that it must be the guitars fault and not the fact that I had no training and no musical ability.

That guitar sat in the corner of my room for probably 10 years. When I was a senior in HS I had a friend over and he saw it and said " hey i didn't know you played too" I told him that the guitar was broken and it had never worked right. He picked it up, tuned it for a few minutes and in no time a guitar that I couldn't get anything out of was playing real, recognizable even beautiful music.

I get the feeling that this football season may be a lot like that.  Somebody coming in that actually knows how to do something with the crap you had relegated to the corner and thought was basically useless. I think even if the line up is the same or relatively so, you are going to hear some very different tunes being played.         

bphi11ips

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on February 15, 2018, 04:00:15 pm
When I was a kid I wanted a guitar really bad.  I asked for one for Christmas.  What I had envisioned was an awesome electric guitar, but what I got was a used classical acoustic guitar.  I had assumed that when you picked up an electric guitar you could automatically play sweet rock and roll.  Since my mom had bought this stupid looking old lady guitar I figured that it must be the guitars fault and not the fact that I had no training and no musical ability.

That guitar sat in the corner of my room for probably 10 years. When I was a senior in HS I had a friend over and he saw it and said " hey i didn't know you played too" I told him that the guitar was broken and it had never worked right. He picked it up, tuned it for a few minutes and in no time a guitar that I couldn't get anything out of was playing real, recognizable even beautiful music.

I get the feeling that this football season may be a lot like that.  Somebody coming in that actually knows how to do something with the crap you had relegated to the corner and thought was basically useless. I think even if the line up is the same or relatively so, you are going to hear some very different tunes being played.         

Lol. Love this analogy and think you are probably right.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

sowmonella

Well said.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

LZH

Quote from: The NewEra on February 15, 2018, 12:45:17 pm
I agree with you that it was all the head coach.  We have no idea how good the assistants could have been with the right leadership.

Regarding the $12MM, I was saying if it wasn't a coaching problem then we didn't need to spend the money on a buyout and get a new coach.

How would you like to be a young assistant coach and get hired at an SECW school, thinking to yourself, "man, we have some good players, good coordinators, and a head coach who's a proven winner..."  -  only to find out pretty quickly that the whole operation is one big hot mess.

cram224

Did you learn to play the guitar?

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: cram224 on February 15, 2018, 04:58:58 pm
Did you learn to play the guitar?

Laziness and short stubby fingers are not a recipe for learning to play the guitar. I ended up giving that guitar to my girlfriend who is now my wife and she plays pretty well. 

LZH

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on February 15, 2018, 05:14:26 pm
Laziness and short stubby fingers are not a recipe for learning to play the guitar. I ended up giving that guitar to my girlfriend who is now my wife and she plays pretty well. 

I have short, stubby fingers, too. But hey, when she plays, sing from your belly and not your mouth/throat. Sing at top volume and you'll not only do just fine, you're more likely to be right on key.  ;)

Al Boarland

Never heard of a coach not playing the players he thought gave him the best chance to win. The previous staff didn't get the job done, but they weren't idiots. It will probably be most of the same players. However, I disagree with the OP. We were absolutely overmatched several times. We don't have many All-SEC type players and still lack quality depth. Expectations should be tempered, but with a new coach comes new hope. It's makes for an interesting offseason.

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: Al Boarland on February 16, 2018, 01:32:58 am
Never heard of a coach not playing the players he thought gave him the best chance to win. The previous staff didn't get the job done, but they weren't idiots. It will probably be most of the same players. However, I disagree with the OP. We were absolutely overmatched several times. We don't have many All-SEC type players and still lack quality depth. Expectations should be tempered, but with a new coach comes new hope. It's makes for an interesting offseason.
This oughta be fun.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: hogsanity on February 15, 2018, 10:14:58 am
If I were Coach Morris, I would not even release a 2 deep after spring practice.

You have no hope for the football program and are happy when the basketball program loses.

Why even bother being a fan?

lakecityhog

Never heard of a coach not playing the players he thought gave him the best chance to win. The previous staff didn’t get the job done, but they weren’t idiots. It will probably be most of the same players. However, I disagree with the OP. We were absolutely overmatched several times. We don’t have many All-SEC type players and still lack quality depth. Expectations should be tempered, but with a new coach comes new hope. It’s makes for an interesting offseason.

Really??? It took several games before BB finally inserted Wallace back into the starting lineup, he started the season with a kid fresh out of HS starting on the O'Line. Zack Rogers languished on the sidelines for 4 years and could have allowed us to put maybe our best O'Lineman in a spot to better help the team.

While I'm not a huge Hammonds fan, it is pretty obvious that he should have had way more touches during the season.

Stop for a few minutes and really think about the players over the last 4 years that finally got on the field due to injuries and then became plus players. Did BB play favorites?? YES Did BB ever overlook talent?? YES Did BB ever misuse talent?? NEARLY EVERY GAME!!!

Guys, I'm not saying that we have a roster full of All-SEC players, but I am saying that we have a roster FULL of SEC caliber players. We have the talent to compete with most SEC teams and that includes Bama. COMPETE, not beat! We should be competitive in most games that we play.

liljo

I can think of 12 million reasons why that may be exactly what happened at Arkansas. Concerning not plying players he thought gave him the best chance to win. But no, I agree, he wasn't an idiot.

Wonder if he's finished counting all that money yet? Oh well, better go! Got to get to work.
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

nchogg

And I agree with most of this discussion. I want to see a Coach that has an injured QB that can't move to replace him with a back up. QB is the leader of the offense and he can't get the job done due to injury put him on the bench and don't risk further injury. Coach Morris will manage games. I hope he gets on position coaches when there players are not getting the job done. I want to see adjustments made during a game. I want to see a coach that giver us the best chance to win.

lakecityhog

Tusk,
I counted AA as the starting QB  so I'm not trying to Hack on Kelley.

Vantage 8 dude

One thing one has to keep in mind is that the vast majority of kids who were signed in this year's class are not going to be going through spring practice. And while I wouldn't expect a huge number of signees to contribute immediately, however with the changes being made who really knows for sure, realistically there could be several positions-such as one of the defensive end slots (Gerald) and defensive secondary-that could be opened up during the summer.

The second thing is I take the approach that there's likely better talent on campus than has been shown over most of the past several years. Kids who've either not been given an adequate chance OR who may have been playing out of position that's prevented them from contributing. There's also the question of whether some kids with (hopefully) upgraded coaching can emerge as unexpected contributors.

All-in-all with this new staff and new techniques I wouldn't be surprised if there are noticeable changes after the spring evaluation period is over. Heck, throw in summer drills and there could be several more surprises. Whatever the outcome, I'll not get too worried one way or the other. That's 'cause the coaches see the kids every day and have certain talents and abilities in mind; they know who best meets these needs.

The NewEra

Quote from: LZH on February 15, 2018, 04:47:32 pm
How would you like to be a young assistant coach and get hired at an SECW school, thinking to yourself, "man, we have some good players, good coordinators, and a head coach who's a proven winner..."  -  only to find out pretty quickly that the whole operation is one big hot mess.

Snake Bit!

razorbackfaninar

I don't think that there was an intention to not play players who could help them win, nor do I think they were complete idiots.  Sometimes I think it is hard for a coach or a staff to admit, or even realize they have gone in an incorrect direction.  If you hire me to do a job and give me a 300 dollar drill, and a hammer and nails and wood and ask me to build a shelf and you come back in two days and find that I have only half built the shelf because I have been using the butt of the drill to drive in the nails, well what can you infer?  Is the drill bad, or have I been using a really good tool in the wrong way? I had the tools in front of me to get the jobs done, but If I don't use them right it doesn't mean the tools are bad. Yes I'd rather use the drill and screws to build the shelf because it is easier and faster, but I didn't have screws so I should have given up on doing it the way I wanted to and used the tools I had at hand to do the job that needed to get done.

I think Bielema had the tools to win one way, but he was determined to do it a different way and it cost him his job. The Razorbacks have the tools in the bag to get the job done.  It won't be as easy or as fast as if we could use the 300.00 drill but if we use the tools that we have, and maximize their potential we can be much more successful than we have been.   

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on February 16, 2018, 09:49:47 am
I don't think that there was an intention to not play players who could help them win, nor do I think they were complete idiots.  Sometimes I think it is hard for a coach or a staff to admit, or even realize they have gone in an incorrect direction.  If you hire me to do a job and give me a 300 dollar drill, and a hammer and nails and wood and ask me to build a shelf and you come back in two days and find that I have only half built the shelf because I have been using the butt of the drill to drive in the nails, well what can you infer?  Is the drill bad, or have I been using a really good tool in the wrong way? I had the tools in front of me to get the jobs done, but If I don't use them right it doesn't mean the tools are bad. Yes I'd rather use the drill and screws to build the shelf because it is easier and faster, but I didn't have screws so I should have given up on doing it the way I wanted to and used the tools I had at hand to do the job that needed to get done.

I think Bielema had the tools to win one way, but he was determined to do it a different way and it cost him his job. The Razorbacks have the tools in the bag to get the job done.  It won't be as easy or as fast as if we could use the 300.00 drill but if we use the tools that we have, and maximize their potential we can be much more successful than we have been.
Interesting perspective. Like how you illustrated the possibility of misuse of talent and abilities.

liljo

I really enjoy your take, here, and in other places I have read. You've given me new perspective on this subject. Thanks, from one Razorback Fan in Arkansas to another!

Al Boarland, I offer this.  Say you owned a new car, the apple of your eye.  Man you read all about this car before the purchase.  It was perfect for you.  But you just got in it and it half assed started, wouldn't go into gear unless forced and when finally in gear, wouldn't move over 5 MPH.  Your wife and friends in the neighborhood are laughing at you for buying such a stupid car.  But though you are not a mechanic, you know this car has potential, it is not only a good car, its a great car, but it needs someone who knows how to repair it. You call your best firend who really knows cars and he finds the main computer or brain of the car has been negated by a simple loose wire.  So your coach (friend) who knows something and isn't too lazy or stupid to use it, corrects your car and now its everything you always knew it could be.  All that said, I believe we have many cars that just need a smart mechanic to tune them up.  If I am somewhat correct, we not win major races, but those cars we have may win a few we didn't think they could.

Jim Harris

There are some well-written analogies in this thread. I have enjoyed it very much. Just wanted to say that.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 16, 2018, 11:19:15 am
There are some well-written analogies in this thread. I have enjoyed it very much. Just wanted to say that.

I can never tell for sure if it is sarcasm from Jim Harris, but as the author of at least two of those analogies I am taking it as a compliment.  Always a fan of JH's takes.

nchogg

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on February 16, 2018, 12:29:15 pm
I can never tell for sure if it is sarcasm from Jim Harris, but as the author of at least two of those analogies I am taking it as a compliment.  Always a fan of JH's takes.
[/quote

No sarcasm. I enjoyed many of the analogies myself. With as many negative Nancies on this site I would sure take it as a compliment.

longtimeHogfan

I like this and think you're right.  +1
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Al Boarland

I would expect CCM can win the games he should win. There's just some disagreement on this board about which games those are. Some tend to slap up a W beside games that are toss ups.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Al Boarland on February 16, 2018, 04:26:17 pm
I would expect CCM can win the games he should win. There's just some disagreement on this board about which games those are. Some tend to slap up a W beside games that are toss ups.

Well if he can win the games he should win, I think that will be a good start. The games I absolutely expect to win:  Eastern Illinois, Colorado State, North Texas, Tulsa, Vanderbilt.  If we are competitive the rest of the season and manage to win one or two of the toss up games then I consider the first season a success that can be built on. I think we'll make a bowl game at least this year.   

Pig in the Pokey

You guys still dont get it. We have TONS of talent. We just had a leadership problem.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hogsanity on February 15, 2018, 10:14:58 am

Agreed...I would play the "starters will be determined the day before kick off" approach as long as I could to get the most out of the healthy competition.  That whole idea that "players don't play with the same confidence when they feel like there is someone biting at their heels"...not buying it.  More focus and effort comes from everyone playing for the spots IMO. 

If you need some sort of reassurance that you're the starter in forder to perform well, and that means basically saying you've got that spot...then that's not the mental toughness I'd want as a coach.  I'm cool with "It's your job to lose" when it gets MUCH closer, but for now...let 'em compete!     
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

phadedhawg

I'm doing Chad Morris the favor of having zero expectations.  I see reason to hope but experience has taught me to focus on results.

Other than going 0-12 I can't see myself being disappointed in how 2018 goes for the Hogs. 

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on February 16, 2018, 04:57:28 pm
You guys still dont get it. We have TONS of talent. We just had a leadership problem.

By tons...how much is that??  Tons like...the next Bama in hiding, or tons like...enough to beat TAMU, and at least hold Auburn to under 40, maybe?  Because it's hard to believe it's better than about top 30 based on our previous recruiting classes, coupled with the more recent one that was doomed from the word go with the bad timing.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.