Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

GAME THREAD: Butler vs Arkansas

Started by BannerMountainMan, March 16, 2018, 02:24:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BroyledNutts

March 16, 2018, 04:38:55 pm #850 Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 12:07:42 pm by BroyledNutts

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Cmheinley on March 16, 2018, 04:27:37 pm
35% Shooting for the day.  I think that's our worst shooting day for the year.  So disappointing....
I think Tennessee was worse, but I feel your pain.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: dmfdds on March 16, 2018, 04:26:41 pm
Over 120 replies between any game information . This being labeled a game thread is a JOKE!

New to the neighborhood aren't you?  Get used to it or stay away is my best advice.

hogginbama

Quote from: 99toLife on March 16, 2018, 04:26:46 pm
I would be shocked if Butler beats Purdue period.

If they don't win they will be more competitive than we were against them today. Something called "pride" and "fundamental basketball" that will keep them in the game. They dribble and pass for 20+ seconds with a plan (waiting for one of our guys to take a nap for a backdoor open three or layup) where we dribble for 20+ seconds and then throw up a stupid, contested shot.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 16, 2018, 04:37:24 pm
That's not true. We ran into a team that had a better game plan and played better than we did today. Arkansas could beat Butler any given day.

Butler has been a consistently better program than us for the past 10 years. I know it hurts,  but it's true.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Oliver

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 16, 2018, 04:35:37 pm
How did Witchita State do?

They lost too by got a 4 seed instead of a 7 seed

Wild Bill Hog

cityhog

Quote from: hawgdavis on March 16, 2018, 04:32:58 pm
It's sad I used to look forward to this time of year because we actually had a chance to make a run. We had a strong tradition and a strong program. I can't believe that we can't bring in a top notch coach and get back to where we once were. What's worse is it seems like the folks at the top that can make a decision seem to be content with just making it to the big dance from time to time and every so often actually win a game once we get there. Sad sad sad

Georgia and Ole Miss just upgraded their coaches. It's cool. We'll stay pat with this hand.

hogginbama

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 16, 2018, 04:35:37 pm
How did Witchita State do?

Screw Wichita State, what do they have to do with Arkansas basketball? Oh wait, if Tennessee, Kentucky or Florida get hot and win the tourney we can run around saying we are a great team because of the conference we play in. How *** stupid.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Letsroll1200

hogginbama

Quote from: Albert Einswine on March 16, 2018, 04:40:25 pm

Butler has been a consistently better program than us for the past 10 years. I know it hurts,  but it's true.

Said that earlier in this thread. They are nothing fancy, just a blue-collar team that plays good basketball and exposes another team's weaknesses.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: hogginbama on March 16, 2018, 04:42:59 pm
Said that earlier in this thread. They are nothing fancy, just a blue-collar team that plays good basketball and exposes another team's weaknesses.

We have plenty of weaknesses to expose.

AirWarren

hogcards

Is anyone really surprised about this?
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

AirWarren

Quote from: hogcards on March 16, 2018, 04:51:47 pm

It's Arkansas athletics. We are middle of the road athletic programs.

hoglady

We were our own worst enemy today - how many wide open 3's did we miss, how many lay ups?
If CJ could have just hit a couple of his wide open 3's game might have been different, Barford missed a wide open 3 during a mini-run. In the second half, no one stepped up and hit THE shot that gets you over the hump and makes the other team start thinking.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hoglady

Quote from: hogcards on March 16, 2018, 04:51:47 pm

Not at all.
It also wouldn't have surprised me for us to win the game by double digits.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

hoglady

Quote from: Beaverfever on March 16, 2018, 04:27:06 pm
Butler isn’t anywhere close to being as good as Houston.  They were considerably worse than I thought they’d be.

I thought so to.
The fact we were as close as were at halftime with not much from Gafford, Macon or Barford says a lot.

code red

Mike has 3 options recruit to this style....change his style...or hit the road.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

LumberBacks

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on March 16, 2018, 04:26:55 pm
We have the worst group of assistants. They add very little
It's the whole coaching staff.  CMA knows one style.  The style he learned from Nolan.   Who did he play for?  Nolan.  Who was THE ONLY head coach that mentored him for 20 years at Tulsa and Arkansas? Nolan.  Then he got his own gig in 2002.  He knows how to coach one way, one style.  It's outdated.  It's outcoached.  They guy is a stand up character guy, but a mediocre coach and recruiter.  The entire coaching staff is in the bottom 3 of the SEC now.  Who would you NOT trade for Mike?  Maybe Frank Martin or Ben Howland?  I'd trade Mike for any other coach with dirtiness (Cal, Avery, Pearl) aside.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Albert Einswine on March 16, 2018, 04:40:25 pm

Okay, but the team that beat us today wasn't the program, it was the best team today. Arkansas is a streaky team. You knew from Barford's quick first shot miss the bad Arkansas was in the building. The good Arkansas would beat that Butler team easily.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Pigsknuckles

Lipscomb would have beaten us today. They played admirably against UNC.

panhandlepig

Quote from: hoglady on March 16, 2018, 04:54:07 pm
Not at all.
It also wouldn't have surprised me for us to win the game by double digits.

I didn't know what to expect given our season. I will admit Im really disappointed in how it turned out.  I thought I had prepared myself to accept whatever happened.  I didn't adequately prepare.

That was awful.

hoglady

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 16, 2018, 05:02:49 pm
Okay, but the team that beat us today wasn't the program, it was the best team today. Arkansas is a streaky team. You knew from Barford's quick first shot miss the bad Arkansas was in the building. The good Arkansas would beat that Butler team easily.

Yep - you nailed it right there.

HardCore

Quote from: AP85 on March 16, 2018, 04:52:55 pm
It's Arkansas athletics. We are middle of the road athletic programs.

And that is precisely why
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

hoglady

Quote from: panhandlepig on March 16, 2018, 05:17:38 pm

I didn't know what to expect given our season. I will admit Im really disappointed in how it turned out.  I thought I had prepared myself to accept whatever happened.  I didn't adequately prepare.

That was awful.

It was sad considering the really great careers that Barford and Macon have had here.
Would have rather seen them playing great against a great team but losing the game - than go out like this.

panhandlepig

Quote from: hoglady on March 16, 2018, 05:27:47 pm
It was sad considering the really great careers that Barford and Macon have had here.
Would have rather seen them playing great against a great team but losing the game - than go out like this.

Me too. Like my Momma always says " Good thing, it's only basketball." 

Hawgphish

Worst nightmare...on a stage such as this to play one of your worst games.  Honestly, our record was pretty good but I never trusted this team.  Something just seemed off. 

Lady Razorback

Quote from: hoglady on March 16, 2018, 05:27:47 pm

I completely agree with you! 

Hawgphish

Just asking a question?  Is anyone concerned that it appears drugs were inside our program? 

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: TNhawgfan on March 16, 2018, 03:10:35 pm
Nice comeback. Lack of rebounding and wide open looks for Butler will still get us beat

I was skimming the game thread...THIS post was on page 7.

Along with what TNhawgfan said, you could add: Not converting some fast breaks at key times, their guards totally outplaying our guards, and getting out-coached. Does that cover it?
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Hawgphish on March 16, 2018, 05:41:27 pm
Just asking a question?  Is anyone concerned that it appears drugs were inside our program? 

Can you elaborate?

Dark Helmet Hog

Bad day. Bad game. Season over. It would have been nice to have a good run at the end of the season. Oh well.

Hawgphish

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on March 16, 2018, 06:46:12 pm
Can you elaborate?
well, one of our senior starters was arrested for possession and failing drug tests and dismissed from the team.

HiggiePiggy

Well this was a disappointing season.  Let's see if baseball can disappoint us also. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Hawgphish on March 16, 2018, 07:13:39 pm
well, one of our senior starters was arrested for possession and failing drug tests and dismissed from the team.
So that implicates the entire program?

Hawgphish

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on March 16, 2018, 07:36:59 pm
So that implicates the entire program?
who knows?  A basketball team is a small group. Maybe he did fail 4 drug tests and no one else in the program had any idea.

99toLife

Quote from: Hawgphish on March 16, 2018, 05:41:27 pm

You can't be serious.