Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cubs

Started by lefty08, May 04, 2015, 07:34:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigfoot

Interesting tidbit....

Bigfoot

The 4 best records in baseball come from the Central divisions. 1. Cardinals 71-40 2. Royals 67-44 3. Pirates 65-44 4. Cubs 62-48

pigture perfect

I think Joe Madden would be a Hoot to play for. Buck as well.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

TheRazorback500

6-3 win tonight, 11 out of their last 12. Rizzo and Soler with 2 RBI each. A hot team right now.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

ChicoHog

I like Buck but I'm surprised to see him on there.  he was a real hard arse when managed the Dbacks and was classified as a "micro manager".  Maybe he has mellowed some in his later years. 

DiamondHogFan

The kids are picking up some momentum.  They feel like they can't lose.  Hope they can keep it up down the stretch and it could be a wild postseason...

popcornhog

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on August 13, 2015, 09:00:56 am
The kids are picking up some momentum.  They feel like they can't lose.  Hope they can keep it up down the stretch and it could be a wild postseason...

Hell, they're only 1.5 games back of the Pirates to host the WC game.
WPS

CabotHog87

Another win today! We are on a roll! I hope they keep this up. Chicago is going to be electric when I'm there Sept 15 for the AC/DC show at Wrigley.

Go Cubs Go!

popcornhog

WPS

Bigfoot

Cubbies sporting some sharp uniforms today.

Bigfoot

Cubs win 8th straight game. Beat White Sox today, 6-5.

DiamondHogFan

Maddon pushing all the right buttons.  Hope he stays with the cubs for a very long time.  He just seems to know how to get the most out of his guys.

hog.goblin

No kidding, Madden is proof how important managing is in baseball (often managers underrated in this sport).

Bigfoot

He may very well be the best manager in baseball.

SC Featured: Joe Maddon

clutch

I definitely think Maddon is the best, or at least very close to it, manager in baseball. I was really hoping St. Louis would find a way to get him after LaRussa retired. I hated seeing him go to the cubs.

Bigfoot

ESPN Stats & Info
@ESPNStatsInfo

Cubs have won 9 in a row within a season in August or later for the first time since winning 10 in row in September 1953

pigture perfect

They have a pretty easy schedule upcoming as well. Could be awhile before they lose again.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

McKdaddy

Quote from: clutch on August 15, 2015, 08:01:49 pm
I definitely think Maddon is the best, or at least very close to it, manager in baseball. I was really hoping St. Louis would find a way to get him after LaRussa retired. I hated seeing him go to the cubs.

I assumed the Cards would go after him when TLR resigned. Maddon was my first choice. Props to the cubs for getting him.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

clutch

Quote from: McKdaddy on August 16, 2015, 06:06:39 am
I assumed the Cards would go after him when TLR resigned. Maddon was my first choice. Props to the cubs for getting him.

I think they actually tried, but he was under contract and Tampa wouldn't let them talk.

popcornhog

Quote from: hog.goblin on August 15, 2015, 03:55:23 pm
No kidding, Madden is proof how important managing is in baseball (often managers underrated in this sport).

Especially in the NL.

It sucks having him in the division for the foreseeable future. The guy is amazing.
WPS

TheRazorback500

Well, can't win 'em all. 3-1 Sox. Taking 2 of 3 at US Cellular is a positive, though.

Do you wanna get Rocked?

Bigfoot

Best records since All-Star break.

TheRazorback500

Rizzo hits a 3-run homer and Coghlan triples in his second straight game to beat the Braves and snap a losing streak. Cubs need to play better against teams with losing records.

Do you wanna get Rocked?

Bigfoot

Jake Arrieta is first in MLB to 15 wins.

He hit the mark by fanning seven batters in six innings Thursday, is only the 6th Cubs pitcher in the modern era (since 1900) to be the first in MLB to 15 wins and first since Greg Maddux in 1988.

ChicoHog

He won his 16th last night.  Amazingly only 4 no decisions this year.  Greinke and Kershaw have about 8 or 10 each because of the sorry Dodgers bullpen.  Hope you guys sweep the midgets then go into a funk this weekend.  Although with Latos starting saturday I'm sure you will win that game!

ChicoHog

Kershaw took care of you guys last night.  Now the Cubs have the advantage the next 2 games with Lester and Arrietta.  I would be ecstatic if Dodgers win one of those.  We have Giants Monday-Wed with Greinke and Kershaw Tues/Wed so I think we will win 2 of 3 from them (hopefully).

TheRazorback500

Arrieta throws a no-hitter last night in a 2-0 win that snaps a four-game losing streak.  ;D

Do you wanna get Rocked?

hog.goblin

THAT's how you stop a losing streak.

ChicoHog

Arietta is a stud.  Will probably lead the NL in wins and could win the Cy Young depending what happens in the next few weeks.  Greinke may have something to say about it.

hog.goblin

Nice to have a trade the Cubs can call favorable.  We don't have many in our history compared to most.

ucahogfan

Quote from: ChicoHog on August 31, 2015, 08:50:22 pm
Arietta is a stud.  Will probably lead the NL in wins and could win the Cy Young depending what happens in the next few weeks.  Greinke may have something to say about it.
Arietta is probably the only player who can keep the NL Cy Young out of LA.  Not only has Greinke had a historic year so far in terms of ERA, Kershaw is having another Clayton Kershaw season.  Those would be the top 3 guys and DeGrom would round out the top 4.

pigture perfect

Couldn't argue much about those 4. I'd also throw Madbum to round out the rotation.

ucahogfan

Quote from: pigture perfect on August 31, 2015, 11:40:55 pm
Couldn't argue much about those 4. I'd also throw Madbum to round out the rotation.
Bumgarner is probably the #7 or so guy in line this year.  I would put at least Scherzer and Cole above him right now.  Heck, there are four starting pitchers on the Cards who have a better ERA than Bumgarner right now.

Now, there isn't anyone else I would have on the mound during the WS, but there have been several pitchers better than him in the NL this year.

popcornhog

Decently full for a weeknight against the Reds.
WPS

Bigfoot

September 05, 2015, 07:07:39 pm #84 Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 09:04:42 pm by Bigfoot
Arrieta solid again as Cubs beat Arizona 2-0.

Cubs win

Razorbacks win

Good day

TheRazorback500

Good start to the Cardinals series with a 9-0 win. Fowler and Russell with three RBI each.

Do you wanna get Rocked?

hog.goblin

Within 2 1/2 of the Pirates

hog.goblin

2 out of 3 against the Cards was nice, but we blew game 3.  Should have been a sweep.

popcornhog

Quote from: hog.goblin on September 10, 2015, 07:14:49 am
2 out of 3 against the Cards was nice, but we blew game 3.  Should have been a sweep.

Congratulations! It was tough to watch, I was at game 3, but it was nice to see Grichuk get back into the lineup in a limited role.

Good luck catching the damn Pirates. Hopefully we're getting everybody back in time to hold y'all off in September!
WPS

Bigfoot

Jake Arrieta takes the mound in search of his 19th win in the first game of a doubleheader today against the Phillies.

Bigfoot

Fowler has been really good in the second half of the season.

TheRazorback500

Glad there's no more games against the Phillies. Either a bad matchup or playing down to the competition..

Do you wanna get Rocked?

DiamondHogFan

Young cubs on the rise...cardinals getting a little nervous.  Finally some tension between the two teams in late September!

pigture perfect

I don't think the Cards are really that nervous. Everybody's getting healthy at the right time and the schedule gets pretty easy the rest of the way except for the 3 against the Cubs and 3 against the Pirates. The Cubs and Pitt both have tougher schedules remaining.

clutch

Not going to lie, as a Cards fan, I will be nervous once the postseason rolls around. I still think we are safe to win the division, but that's not what I really care about.

popcornhog

Quote from: clutch on September 19, 2015, 04:30:48 pm
Not going to lie, as a Cards fan, I will be nervous once the postseason rolls around. I still think we are safe to win the division, but that's not what I really care about.
I agree 100%. The Cardinals, Pirates, and Cubs are unquestionably the 3 best teams in the NL -- arguably the three best teams in baseball (due respect to KC and Toronto). It's laughable that one of us will eliminate the other two prior to the NLCS.
WPS

TheRazorback500

Arrieta gets win #20!

Do you wanna get Rocked?

pigture perfect

Just give big Jake the Cy Young now. I think he's proved he deserves it. He's had a great season.

popcornhog

Quote from: pigture perfect on September 23, 2015, 12:56:10 am
Just give big Jake the Cy Young now. I think he's proved he deserves it. He's had a great season.

As much as it pains me to say it, I agree.

I didn't even think he was their ace when the season began.
WPS

McKdaddy

Quote from: pigture perfect on September 23, 2015, 12:56:10 am

Agreed.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin