Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Direct TV vs Cox

Started by HogNdazs, July 20, 2012, 09:08:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

longtimeHogfan

We cut our cable and land-line phone service from  Cox and went with Dish and smart phones.  No regrets.  Cox for internet is pretty hard to beat.  We kept that. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

HawgWild

Anybody taking advantage of the offers to bundle AT&T service with DirecTV? I got an offer for $500 credit per line to switch to AT&T cell and then there's $120 credit to bundle the 2.

GuvHog

Quote from: hog.goblin on December 27, 2015, 11:00:32 am
Thanks Lanny.  I'm guessing you've been with them longer.  I've only been with them since May of 2013 and for about 2 years it was the best cable service by far.  The recent software upgrade rendered my equipment virtually useless (think putting iOS9 on and iPhone 3).

I'm shocked they aren't offering me a solution.

That's odd. You should be able to go on the internet to DIRECTV.com and order new equipment. That's what I did.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

bcdeputy

We have Uverse now and we LOVE IT.  It's great, the internet is a ton faster than anything Cox has.  You get wireless for free with Uverse and you have to pay extra with Cox for a wireless hub (unless you buy your own hub at walmart and you can set up your own wireless)

Picture is great and we've has few problems with Uverse. 

jjdlc

Quote from: bcdeputy on December 27, 2015, 11:33:42 am
We have Uverse now and we LOVE IT.  It's great, the internet is a ton faster than anything Cox has.  You get wireless for free with Uverse and you have to pay extra with Cox for a wireless hub (unless you buy your own hub at walmart and you can set up your own wireless)

Picture is great and we've has few problems with Uverse.

Not all Uverse is created equal.  If you are one of the lucky ones that can get Uverse delivered by fiber, then yes, it is wonderful.  If you are one that gets it delivered by DSL, then not so much.  Also, here are the speeds available.

Broadband Service Product Name*                       Downstream Speed Range
AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet Max Turbo           18.1 Mbps - 24 Mbps
AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet Power (45M)   24.1 Mbps - 45 Mbps
AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet Power (75M)   45.1 Mbps - 75 Mbps
AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet 100 (100M)**   Up to 100 Mbps

Cox Internet Starter   • Up to 5 Mbps download  • Up to 1 Mbps upload
Cox Internet Essential   • Up to 15 Mbps download • Up to 2 Mbps upload
Cox Internet Preferred   • Up to 50 Mbps download • Up to 5 Mbps upload
Cox Internet Premier   • Up to 100 Mbps download • Up to 10 Mbps upload
Cox Internet Ultimate   • Up to 150 Mbps download • Up to 20 Mbps upload

I have Cox at home, I live out in the sticks, I'm on Preferred, and I get around 60Mbps actual DL, and right at 7Mbs up.  My next door neighbor has U-Verse, he's supposed to be getting the 18-24MBps, but gets about 3Mbps actual DL, and 100k up.

hog.goblin

Quote from: GuvHog on December 27, 2015, 11:30:52 am
That's odd. You should be able to go on the internet to DIRECTV.com and order new equipment. That's what I did.

$299 to replace my Genie HD DVR, no thanks, the last one barely last 2 years (though was "free" by signing up)