Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

POLL: SHOULD Mike be fired if he misses the NCAA?

Started by The_Iceman, February 03, 2018, 04:47:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Mediocre Mike be fired if he misses the NCAA tournament?

Yes
408 (71.2%)
No
118 (20.6%)
Frito Pie
47 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 569

Dirty

southeasthog

Quote from: 1highhog on February 04, 2018, 01:59:09 pm
I haven't seen the article is why I haven't read it.  Like I said earlier, I could be mistaken,

I don't mind saying I'm wrong when I am. 

And you still haven't said you were wrong.

HoopS

I am generally pro Mike.

But there's no excuse for this squad to miss the tournament. Short of mass injuries.

We need to make the tournament.

If we miss it and they decide to fire him, sorry but I won't be here saying we should keep him.

This team has too much experience and talent to not make it.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: 1highhog on February 04, 2018, 01:59:09 pm
I haven't seen the article is why I haven't read it.  Like I said earlier, I could be mistaken, I just stated what was said on those programs I listed.  They never did say that the deal had been made earlier in the year, go back and reread my post.  I don't mind saying I'm wrong when I am.  Wouldn't it be something if all psters thought that way,,,,,

I put a link to article in the post where I inserted the quote and informed you that you were wrong to begin with. Click on it and you can read the article for yourself.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Breems

Quote from: elksnort on February 04, 2018, 11:25:23 am
Why don't you answer the question?
I will answer it for you. If the Razorbacks do not make the NCAA tournament yes he should be fired

I'm way ahead of you, bro.

Quote from: Breems on January 10, 2018, 09:47:55 pm
If no NCAAT, yes. Fireable offense with this talent.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

elksnort

raz1965

I go on record to say what ever the UofA decides to do I will still be a fan, however it would be hard to root for Samson or what ever the name of the past cheater from Houston is. We all know with the extension Mike has another year regardless,I do wish him an the team sucess.

HoggyCat

Why do people act like just making the tournament is some kind of major accomplishment?? We should be going to as many sweet 16s as overall tournament appearances.

To think making the dance is a job saver just shows how far down Long brought expectations.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

3of5-2

Quote from: HoggyCat on February 04, 2018, 04:16:09 pm
Why do people act like just making the tournament is some kind of major accomplishment?? We should be going to as many sweet 16s as overall tournament appearances.

To think making the dance is a job saver just shows how far down Long brought expectations.
We have become like one of those poor teams that get 1 automatic bid in their conference and we will be ecstatic to receive the bid after winning the conference tournament. We are not A-V-E-R-A-G-E we are worse.

Hoggish1

I said yes.  I want Mike to succeed here and I though he would do it.  But I believe he will always have a team do what it's doing now regardless of the talent.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Ironhawg on February 03, 2018, 05:05:58 pm
I voted Frito Pie.  I see some people posting that Mike sucks or Mike is terrible, but he isn't.  He is ok and not much more.  If this team fails to make the tournament this season it means two NCAA appearances in seven seasons, none past the second round.  That sure doesn't live up to the expectations I had when Mike came here.  If we miss the tournament this year, I think it is time to seek another leader for Arkansas basketball, but I just don't think it happens.  That is why I voted Frito Pie.  Even though he may need to go, it is not likely to happen for no other reason than nostalgia.

I would have agreed with you had Long still been here.  The new AD isn't going to put up with this.

Hoggish1

February 04, 2018, 04:36:00 pm #111 Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 11:38:54 am by Hoggish1
The new AD has a perfect window to dump Mike.  Finishing17-14, as it looks now, prior to the SEC tor=urney will allow him to step in and pull the trigger.

Breems

Those expectations have dipped over the course of 20 years, and they aren't coming back anytime soon.

Paul

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 03, 2018, 06:38:14 pm
A&M should hire Buzz Williams ASAP.  If they cared about basketball.
we should have hired him

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Breems on February 04, 2018, 05:58:44 pm
Those expectations have dipped over the course of 20 years, and they aren't coming back anytime soon.

They will return when Arkansas becomes a team that is regularly in the ncaa tournament.  That hasn't been the case in awhile and is starting to get there.

With a year like this. The fact we have so many seniors if we were to miss on the tournament then there is no excuse to continue to keep Mike Anderson as the coach.  You have the talent you have the experience and miss the tournament then that is completely on coaching. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

GuvHog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on February 04, 2018, 04:36:00 pm
I would have agreed with you had Long still been here.  The new AD isn't going to put up with this.

Yep, Jeff Long was Mike Anderson's safety net but that net was cut down last year.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Ironhawg

I think I'm going to ride out the rest of the season, enjoy the wins and not worry about the losses.  Then after the season is over, whatever is going to happen, will happen.  There's just no sense in getting bent about it.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 04, 2018, 06:44:29 am
Mike is NOT a great recruiter. Will Wade from LSU is a GREAT recruiter. When has Mike ever done this:

The SEC in basketball in the very near future is basically going to be led by the following.

Mississippi State
LSU
Alabama

College basketball is basically just a recruiting game, and those above 3 programs are recruiting at the level that it takes to win a lot of games.

Breems

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 04, 2018, 07:45:03 pm
The SEC in basketball in the very near future is basically going to be led by the following.

Mississippi State
LSU
Alabama

College basketball is basically just a recruiting game, and those above 3 programs are recruiting at the level that it takes to win a lot of games.

LMAO

Thank you for never changing.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Breems on February 04, 2018, 07:58:52 pm
LMAO

Thank you for never changing.

Ben Howland, Will Wade, and Avery Johnson are recruiting very well.

Recruiting at a high level is what it takes, not some outdated "Fastest 40 Minutes" slogan based system.

root_hawg

ChicoHog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 04, 2018, 08:05:04 pm
Ben Howland, Will Wade, and Avery Johnson are recruiting very well.

Recruiting at a high level is what it takes, not some outdated "Fastest 40 Minutes" slogan based system.
I agree with that but UK and UF will always be solid. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 04, 2018, 07:45:03 pm

Mississippi State
LSU
Alabama

GoHogs undying love for Mississippi State is just as strong as FCJ's for Mike Anderson.

swineology

Quote from: Breems on February 04, 2018, 05:58:44 pm

With Mike as the HC, sir you are correct!

Oliver

Quote from: Dirty on February 04, 2018, 02:16:08 pm
No! Stupid ass poll

The only thing stupid about this poll is that there is a "No" option

RacinRazorback

Start right now trying to get Billy Donavan to come back to the college ranks! Throw the kitchen sink at him, whatever it takes to get him on the hill!

The_Iceman

Only 15% of hog fans believe Mediocre Mike should be keep his job if he misses the NCAA Tournament this year.

The_Iceman

Quote from: RacinRazorback on February 05, 2018, 07:10:23 am
Start right now trying to get Billy Donavan to come back to the college ranks! Throw the kitchen sink at him, whatever it takes to get him on the hill!

If Billy Donovan left the pros this year, I think the most likely landing spot would be Louisville.

Fred Hoiberg would be a possibility, but Iowa State would probably fire their current coach just to get him back.

Roy Bacon

Quote from: Sweet Feet on February 03, 2018, 05:32:27 pm
hard to defend his performance, but who was the last coach to get arkansas to the 2nd round twice in his tenure? Just last year, people were talking about how Arkansas had the eventual national champs on the ropes until the refs starting tripping. Just put things in perspective before having a knee jerk reaction.

Apparently last year was just a high tide and doesn't appear to be sustainable. A decision based on a seven year experience is not a knee jerk reaction . There is someone out there that can and would love to coach and elevate this program . Eddie Sutton was largely an unknown when he got here and the program was in worse shape then too.  Nolan was not widely known either .
Just say no to the forward facing Hog !

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 05, 2018, 07:14:48 am
If Billy Donovan left the pros this year, I think the most likely landing spot would be Louisville.

Fred Hoiberg would be a possibility, but Iowa State would probably fire their current coach just to get him back.

Here it is though, when Eddie and Nolan were hired, they were just young coaches, they had not reached HOF status, and honestly nothing about them said they would reach what they did. Mike has been a HC 15 yrs now, we have seen enough to know he is no hof coach. Go find the next young guy that MIGHT turn into the next Nolan or Eddie.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

redneckfriend

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 05, 2018, 07:14:48 am

Lol, Fred Hoiberg isn't going anywhere.

bosshog84

hobhog

Quote from: hogsanity on February 05, 2018, 08:22:18 am
Here it is though, when Eddie and Nolan were hired, they were just young coaches, they had not reached HOF status, and honestly nothing about them said they would reach what they did. Mike has been a HC 15 yrs now, we have seen enough to know he is no hof coach. Go find the next young guy that MIGHT turn into the next Nolan or Eddie.

Exactly. Keep looking til you find him. 5 years is plenty for a coach to show what he can do.

elkhog

GO HOGS!!!

elkhog

Quote from: BigBlueHell on February 03, 2018, 06:27:17 pm
We should not be hoping to get into the NCAA tournament every year.  Missing the tournament should be the exception not the norm.  Under Heath, Pelfrey, and Anderson it has been the exception.  I'm tired of that.  We need a coach that is going to make missing the tournament and exception.  The last 15 years has really caused me to be indifferent towards the basketball team.  I want a team I can get excited about.   

No, we shouldn't be expecting it every year, but, we should expect it when we have a senior/junior laden teams!
GO HOGS!!!

okrazorback

Quote from: jboler96 on February 03, 2018, 06:53:29 pm
No bc we are finally getting out of the cellar. Hoping the hogs get to the tournament. Projected to still be in even with 8-10 record.

Make the tournament. Is that the only requirement for us keeping the coach? I would like to see us go to the final four once in a while or at least the sweet sixteen.

Albert Einswine

Mike has shown everyone for 7 years what he's capable of. This is it. It won't get appreciably better than what he's already done.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

The_Iceman

Hoggish1

Quote from: Albert Einswine on February 04, 2018, 02:51:02 am
Wrong, Yurachek had nothing to do with it.

"Anderson signed the new agreement Nov. 22. Arkansas Chancellor Joseph Steinmetz signed it on Nov. 30 and UA System President Donald R. Bobbitt signed it on Dec. 1. Thursday was the Board of Trustee's first regularly scheduled meeting since the contract was signed."

http://m.arkansasonline.com/news/2018/jan/27/ua-trustees-agree-to-anderson-extension/

Good information for all of us to know.  Thanks!

FineAsSwine

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 05, 2018, 07:13:36 am
Only 15% of hog fans believe Mediocre Mike should be keep his job if he misses the NCAA Tournament this year.

Only 15% of fans who have voted in this thread. Hardly convincing. It's not like it is a poll conducted by the PEW Research Center. Please.

The_Iceman

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 05, 2018, 11:45:43 am
Only 15% of fans who have voted in this thread. Hardly convincing. It's not like it is a poll conducted by the PEW Research Center. Please.

Almost 500 people.

FATHAWG08

Quote from: bosshog84 on February 05, 2018, 09:30:49 am
Yes! Is it baseball season yet?
Don't jinx the Baseball team. People were saying this about the Basketball team  during the later part of the Football season. LOL!!
I love off season Football!!

LZH

Look, I would be thrilled to have my son play for MA....he's a great guy. But if my boy were a 5* one-and-done, I'd hope he'd shop around. That's how far we've fallen.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 05, 2018, 11:50:47 am
Almost 500 people.

Arkansas is a state of around 2 million people. 500 people is a statistically irrelevant sample size.

Razorpigg

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 05, 2018, 07:13:36 am
Wrong... Only 15% of the people that cared enough about yet another stupid poll on HV to vote, believe Coach Anderson should keep his job. He will be here for the forseeable future, regardless of how many DA polls are made.

ShadowHawg

We haven't been to a Sweet 16 in over 20 years with 5 different coaches.

So what has changed that now we should be a program that is a member of the Sweet 16 any time we make the tournament?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 06, 2018, 10:27:24 pm
We haven't been to a Sweet 16 in over 20 years with 5 different coaches.

So what has changed that now we should be a program that is a member of the Sweet 16 any time we make the tournament?

You counting Altman?   ::)
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ShadowHawg

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 07, 2018, 08:43:40 am
Yep. I wondered who would catch that. 😋

Just making sure my mind wasn't completely going and I had forgotten someone.