Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema Says Hogs Need Three Running Backs To Succeed

Started by Mike Irwin, July 24, 2015, 09:47:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

Most college head football coaches would be thrilled to have two one thousand yard rushers in the same backfield. Bret Bielema had that last season but he wants more.

"In our program I believe you've got to have three running backs to build a program," Bielema told reporters. "My first Rose Bowl year (at Wisconsin) we had two one thousand yard rushers and our third one had nine hundred and ninety-eight."

Promising sophomore Korliss Marshall was that third back at Arkansas until he left the team following the 2014 regular season. Bielema decided to withhold senior Jonathan Williams and junior Alex Collins from contact during the 2015 spring campaign. Both needed time to heal up from the pounding they took while combining for 2,290 yards rushing.

That decision cleared the way for little used and often injured Kody Walker who decided to make the most of the opportunity. Walker ran for 174 yards on 26 carries in the Red-White football game and scored three touchdowns while drawing praise from Bielema who said Walker had punched his ticket for extra playing time in the fall.
----------------------
To read more and to view the video version of this story click on the link below:
http://www.nwahomepage.com/news/bielema-says-hogs-need-three-running-backs-to-succeed

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 24, 2015, 09:47:30 pm
Most college head football coaches would be thrilled to have two one thousand yard rushers in the same backfield. Bret Bielema had that last season but he wants more.

"In our program I believe you've got to have three running backs to build a program," Bielema told reporters. "My first Rose Bowl year (at Wisconsin) we had two one thousand yard rushers and our third one had nine hundred and ninety-eight."

Promising sophomore Korliss Marshall was that third back at Arkansas until he left the team following the 2014 regular season. Bielema decided to withhold senior Jonathan Williams and junior Alex Collins from contact during the 2015 spring campaign. Both needed time to heal up from the pounding they took while combining for 2,290 yards rushing.

That decision cleared the way for little used and often injured Kody Walker who decided to make the most of the opportunity. Walker ran for 174 yards on 26 carries in the Red-White football game and scored three touchdowns while drawing praise from Bielema who said Walker had punched his ticket for extra playing time in the fall.
----------------------
To read more and to view the video version of this story click on the link below:
http://www.nwahomepage.com/news/bielema-says-hogs-need-three-running-backs-to-succeed

I would love to see us have 3-1,000 yard rushers, but then I would also like to see us throw for 3,000 yards at the same time. Not sure we can achieve all of that, but if we did that would certainly be a season to remember.
Go Hogs Go!

Jek Tono Porkins

If I remember correctly, bielema said a while back that his goal for every game is 250 yards rushing, 250 yards passing. Seems like a lofty goal to me but go big or go home, right?
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

reddogjcss

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on July 25, 2015, 08:49:22 am
If I remember correctly, bielema said a while back that his goal for every game is 250 yards rushing, 250 yards passing. Seems like a lofty goal to me but go big or go home, right?

I remember him saying 200-200 is real hard to beat.
This is my non-signature signature.

nchogg

200-200 is what I remember but 250-250 would be better.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: nchogg on July 26, 2015, 07:19:12 am
200-200 is what I remember but 250-250 would be better.

"It's going to be a blend of the spread and the pro style," said Bielema, who said his offensive goals are rushing for 200 yards and throwing for 200 each game.

http:// [[[Stop spamming your site, Eric.]]] .com/blog/robbies-hog-blog/bielema-offense-will-be-blend-pro-style-spread.html#sthash.QYMERgZx.dpuf
Go Hogs Go!

DeltaBoy

I love this Staff. They are showing great depth of Football Knowledge.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

smb

Bielema certainly knows what you need to succeed in the SEC.
GeorgiaHOG

Steef

Quote from: reddogjcss on July 25, 2015, 04:00:51 pm
Need a big bad short yardage back.

I don't disagree with the concept.

But I believe instead, Coach is just building a big bad, short yardage O-line.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: steefhog on July 27, 2015, 05:48:41 am

Combined, I would love for defenses to know that on 3rd and 3, we can hand the ball off and there is absolutely nothing they can do about it.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Hawgzinbowlz

Devin White. Big, Bad, short yardage, long yardage and everything in between yardage.  "GO HOGS"

GolfnHog

I realize that past performances are not indicative of future potential but I can easily see 2 1000 yd rushers and a 3rd running back with upwards of 750-900 yds in this offense based on CBB's past success.  Timing in play calling could easily net another 2800-3000 yds in passing w/ all things lining up perfectly.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

gmarv

with the way kw looked in the spring game,it looks like we may have that third back this year.

reddogjcss

I agree the need for 3 running back plus one big bad short yardage man. Need one that can get 2-3 yards every time he gets the ball. Goal line man.

grayhawg

Quote from: steefhog on July 27, 2015, 05:48:41 am

reddogjcss

nchogg

When we need a fresh back to punish a defense KW will be the man. It's hard enough for a defense to take a pounding from JW and AC and now throw in KW and a defense will remember playing us for a couple of weeks after the game like Coach said.