Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema to Deep Six Hogs Two-A-Days

Started by Mike Irwin, July 21, 2015, 10:56:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

During the ESPN Car Wash tour Razorback head football coach Bret Bielema revealed on the air that there will be no double practice sessions for his players during August Camp.

"We're not going to have two-a days," Bielema announced. "Our kids don't even know that yet. But we need to be ready when the games are there. We play against each other every day in practice. Hopefully we are competing against one of the best offenses and defenses everyday and if we want that season to be special we've got to make sure we're fresh when we get there."

Bielema went on to say that there's been research available for several years indicating that twice daily football practices in August do more harm than good in preparing players for their first game of the season.
----------------
To read more or to view the video version of this story click on the link below.
http://www.nwahomepage.com/news/bielema-to-deep-six-hogs-two-a-days

Pigsknuckles

With the "not so recent" emphasis by most teams on off season conditioning, position work, and strength training, 2-A-Days are simply a redundant injury risk. They had their past place for fast track conditioning of those who showed up to camp out of any reasonable physical shape. Nowadays, teams are much more proactive in monitoring the off season condition of their players. Good call by Coach. That will relieve some of my previously posted August injury anxiety.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Hawgzinbowlz

This is where year round conditioning pays off. I wonder if the freed up time will be used for film study or other football related activity? It may be a good time to work on the virtual practice.

Interesting.

" GO HOGS "

lrhawgfan

According to reports, practice will still be the same amount of time just done in one session.

Bigdavis

Quote from: lrhawgfan on July 22, 2015, 03:08:02 pm
According to reports, practice will still be the same amount of time just done in one session.

What reports? I haven't seen that at at all.

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

oldhawg

Yikes.  That announcement will make some old-timer coaches roll over in their graves.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: oldhawg on July 23, 2015, 09:35:43 am
Yikes.  That announcement will make some old-timer coaches roll over in their graves.

You know that the only way to make a football team is to work hard in the heat, have no water breaks except for those wish "candy legs", salt tablets and other forms of coaching.  I just wish we had a Junction to go to.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

LSUFan

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on July 22, 2015, 03:44:25 pm
Ummm, Fresh Legs lives!
And "Special"

Somebody should tell him it brings up old bad Hootie memories.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

Dirty

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on July 22, 2015, 11:59:43 am
This is where year round conditioning pays off. I wonder if the freed up time will be used for film study or other football related activity? It may be a good time to work on the virtual practice.

Interesting.

" GO HOGS "

That's my guess and "voluntary" weight work to remain strong.
Go Hogs Go!

I often wonder why coaches don't split up the team into small groups and have the players work on the core situations that most effect their position.  I don't mean for just a short session during each practice, I mean where say 20 players are getting all the coaches attention for a 2 hour practice.  Then bring in another 20 or so and give them the full 2 hours of attention.  When you got a 100 players on the field at the same time, some players get no attention and some get a bit while  a core 30 or 40 get the most.  Football teams are much like chains, only as good or strong as the weakest link.  My idea would cause the coaches to earn their salaries as they would work a full day like 12 to 14 hours actually training the players.  This might be too  much for the coaches on a daily basis but 2 or 3 times weekly might make the team better.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" on July 23, 2015, 02:35:46 pm
You know that the only way to make a football team is to work hard in the heat, have no water breaks except for those wish "candy legs", salt tablets and other forms of coaching.  I just wish we had a Junction to go to.

I'd take em to Winslow and run em up hill in the morning to practice and run em down hill at night...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

oldhawg

I still remember those days ---- not fondly.

Hoggish1

Amen!

Two a days are your grandfather's regime.   One again BB breaks the mold and is ahead of the curve...  WooPig!

(notOM)Rebel123

As it is now, On days with "two-a-day" practices, live contact is only allowed in one of the two practices.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: oldhawg on July 26, 2015, 08:43:40 am
I still remember those days ---- not fondly.

Yeah, even 45 years later those days have left an indelible memory. Was more afraid of quitting than enduring. Stuck it out 4 seasons.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"