Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Schedule...as tough as I can remember

Started by Biggus Piggus, November 21, 2017, 11:04:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

Arkansas should get at least two good games this week, regardless of whether the Razorbacks can handle Oklahoma.

OU plays great defense like Lon Kruger teams do. They have a balanced roster and scored 108 points in each of their first two games.

If we beat the Sooners -- which would be a hefty trophy to mount -- then we get North Carolina. Winner of that one finishes with, probably, Michigan State or Oregon.

Next weekend, trip to Houston, where the Cougars are 3-1 with three senior starters.

The Saturday after that, Minnesota comes to Fayetteville. The Gophers have been steamrolling people. Their 6-6, 250 forward Jordan Murphy looks like one of the country's best players. They have four guys shooting over 40% from 3-pt range.

The schedule settles down for a couple weeks after that, but we still don't have any sub-300 RPI opponents like we used to stack.

Then SEC play begins against Tennessee on Dec. 30. The league ranks third-best in Pomeroy so far this season. Texas A&M and Florida have looked scary early on, and Kentucky will be strong if it can clean up its rough edges. The middle of the conference will be a bloodbath, and even the bottom end is improved.

[CENSORED]!

Hogs49ers

I think 18 wins could likely be enough this year to make the tourney pending on which 18 teams we beat.
SCREW Vandy!

Biggus Piggus

That said...I believe in this team. These Hogs have a nice combination of skills, and they are committed to playing defense + rebounding. This is an excellent-looking team that could win a lot of games, even against this schedule.
[CENSORED]!

razorback1829

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 21, 2017, 11:11:18 pm
That said...I believe in this team. These Hogs have a nice combination of skills, and they are committed to playing defense + rebounding. This is an excellent-looking team that could win a lot of games, even against this schedule.

Line 'em up.

alohawg

I agree, cautious optimism heading into this next game. If they not only beat, but handle OU, watch out!
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

moses_007

Tough schedule, but this year's Hogs look outstanding.

Hogs49ers

I am starting to come back down to Earth just a little bit after seeing what the teams we have beat have done after.

- Fresno State:  2-2 (Lost to Evansville at home 57-59)
- Samford:  1-4
- Bucknell:  1-4 (This is definitely our best win, the 4 teams they lost to should all be in the tourney and lost to Maryland by 2 and Monmouth by 1)
SCREW Vandy!

Wisco Pig

Quote from: Hogs49ers on November 22, 2017, 11:39:57 am
I am starting to come back down to Earth just a little bit after seeing what the teams we have beat have done after.

I was surprised to see FSU lose to Evansville, but I believe the game was played in Cancun?

hoggusamoungus

- Bucknell:  1-4 (This is definitely our best win, the 4 teams they lost to should all be in the tourney and lost to Maryland by 2 and Monmouth by 1)

Bucknell played NC fairly tough in Chapel Hill.

Wed, Nov 15  North Carolina   Chapel Hill, N.C.  8:00 PM   ACC Network Extra  81 - 93(L)

Hogs49ers

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on November 22, 2017, 12:01:43 pm
Bucknell played NC fairly tough in Chapel Hill.

Wed, Nov 15  North Carolina   Chapel Hill, N.C.  8:00 PM   ACC Network Extra  81 - 93(L)

Yah I meant to mention that, I watched that game and they were within 1 point (59-58) with under 10 minutes to play.  Bucknell is definitely the best 1-4 team in the country and will be in the tourney, and like I said, looks like our best win after Fresno State lost at home to Evansville.
SCREW Vandy!

Hogs49ers

Quote from: Wisco Pig on November 22, 2017, 11:50:02 am
I was surprised to see FSU lose to Evansville, but I believe the game was played in Cancun?

Oh really?  I would bet you are right, and I guess that is a little better.  Evansville may be a pretty solid team, but still was not happy to see that...
SCREW Vandy!

Hogs49ers

Tennessee looking solid against a very good Purdue team right now.  Up 34-31, 2nd half just started on ESPN2.
SCREW Vandy!

niels_boar

We may be too exuberant for own good.  However, Samford has been playing without their all-conference center Walker.  He didn't play against LSU or Valpo. Fresno St. lost to Evansville on a neutral site in Cancun.  Evansville is in their weight class.  A close game wasn't unexpected. I watched the game.  Fresno lost it by going 5 of 14 at the line in a converted ballroom with a low ceiling.  Fresno is going to win plenty of games.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: niels_boar on November 22, 2017, 12:13:43 pm
We may be too exuberant for own good.  However, Samford has been playing without their all-conference center Walker.  He didn't play against LSU or Valpo. Fresno St. lost to Evansville on a neutral site in Cancun.  Evansville is in their weight class.  A close game wasn't unexpected. I watched the game.  Fresno lost it by going 5 of 14 at the line in a converted ballroom with a low ceiling.  Fresno is going to win plenty of games.

Good deal, thanks for the outside the box score information.
SCREW Vandy!

navyhog24

Quote from: Hogs49ers on November 22, 2017, 12:07:50 pm
Tennessee looking solid against a very good Purdue team right now.  Up 34-31, 2nd half just started on ESPN2.

Kinda glad so far we didn't go after Chris Darrington. I haven't seen the guy pass the ball yet. He seems like an AI type without the handles that he shoots it up every time he gets the ball.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: navyhog24 on November 22, 2017, 12:45:03 pm
Kinda glad so far we didn't go after Chris Darrington. I haven't seen the guy pass the ball yet. He seems like an AI type without the handles that he shoots it up every time he gets the ball.

I was thinking the same thing.  Tenn just made a huge 3 to tie the game and take it to OT, really good game!  I really like the way Grant Williams plays, he going to have a good year.
SCREW Vandy!

Hogs49ers

Tennessee just got a great win over #18 Purdue and Grant Williams is going to have an incredible year.  Man this is going to be fun in the SEC this year, not going to be too many easy wins unlike in years past.
SCREW Vandy!

Cmheinley

Quote from: Hogs49ers on November 22, 2017, 01:23:39 pm
Tennessee just got a great win over #18 Purdue and Grant Williams is going to have an incredible year.  Man this is going to be fun in the SEC this year, not going to be too many easy wins unlike in years past.

Tenn had very impressive series of timeouts and execute. Will be a nice RPI boost for them. Great game

HawgnCorona

I believe! We have opportunity to win every time we lace them up this year...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8