Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Did the Concourse Shrink? It was awful!

Started by Porked Tongue, September 11, 2017, 09:48:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Porked Tongue

I've been going to games in Fayetteville for a long time and been around for lots of large crowds but I've never experienced a worse situation for fans than Saturday.  It was if the concourse had shrunk and the entire stadium was stacked up underneath the seating area.  Of course, we have had more people before but something was amiss this time.

1. Concessions seem to be the culprit and their lines created the congestion.
2. A new provider with some new offerings was advertised but the bottomline is it was harder to get a bite or a drink than I've ever seen it.  This was all around the East, West and South end concourse.
3. I'd compare it to a permanent halftime rush to the toilet.
4. Without a doubt, there were few release points for congestion.  Many vendors are gone and the main concessions could not handle the load.  The lines were all the way across the concourse and you had to play red rover red rover to break through line after line to get somewhere.
5. There was no popcorn at stands that advertised them, some of the stands ran out of water and no selling being done around the stadium.
6.  The Chick Fil-A had been converted into a poor man's Mini-Mart.  Lame doesn't describe the lack of selections

It was so poorly planned it created congestion like I've never seen.

Thinking about it afterwards, I think it has to do with less vendor around the concourse and the main concessions that were open had less counter workers and less lines. Instead of 6-8 lines to order with 6-7 people in a line, you'd see 3-4 lines of 12-14 people.

Yet they did have room for a car dealership and a auction of memorabilia clogging the passage ways.

This all occurring despite the game being in the middle of the afternoon when most people would have eaten a meal already.

If they'd spend more effort like keeping the basics, having more stands and enough people to work them it would help.

The good news is it left money in my pocket that I gladly spent outside the stadium.

I'm not usually a complainer on these kinds of things but when the wait is 45 min, they run out of water, combo meals don't have all the offerings and popcorn can't hardly be found then its a astronomical failure.

Don't get me started on the inside game continual infomercial of ads and repetitive pomp.

Yeah, the game sucked but I'm about used to that.  But this other?  Inexcusable.

The UA does a great job of presenting themselves and getting me to buy tickets.
The do a pretty good job of getting you to and from the stadium.

But they SUCK at in game and stadium logistics.

Similar to a while back, problems like these increase the already growing perception of many that the games are more enjoyable on a big screen tv at home.

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

Porked Tongue

I want to go to the games but I'm starting to wonder if they give a damn about anyone not is a suite.

bville_hog

I don't know exactly what they did in the South outdoor club, but it was impossible to get anything to eat or drink without wasting 30 mins in line even while the game was going on, never seen it like that before.  That and the way they manage parting and traffic routing now in the lot by MLK, just makes for a horrible game day experience especially when you have to watch BB put a totally unprepared team on the field.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 11, 2017, 09:52:18 pm
TCU fans pretty much said the same thing.
Yeah I talked to a bunch of them.

I swear you'd have thought 50% of the room had shrunk.

hobhog

Concessions are horrible no doubt. And club venues are maybe even worse. Adding card readers doesn't help as it slows everything down.

They farm out the vending and the result is poor service and lost revenue.

hawgon

radar

BBs in game SUCK has rubbed off on then stadium staff..

WilsonHog

Quote from: bville_hog on September 11, 2017, 09:53:33 pm
I don't know exactly what they did in the South outdoor club, but it was impossible to get anything to eat or drink without wasting 30 mins in line even while the game was going on, never seen it like that before.  That and the way they manage parting and traffic routing now in the lot by MLK, just makes for a horrible game day experience especially when you have to watch BB put a totally unprepared team on the field.

We were in Lot 56. Last year, we were able to pull out on MLK within 5 minutes of being in my truck. So we parked down there again this year, only to find the exit blocked after the game. We sat in Lot 56 for 45 minutes Saturday, while everyone was routed by the softball field up to Stadium. Pure sh*tshow.

Großer Kriegschwein

bphi11ips

Nope.  The stadium done blowed up around it.

There must be some way to widen and improve the west concourse.  It was not built for that size stadium. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Porked Tongue

I'll say this, I did see Mark Scobey with Athletic Guest Relations hustling around with a cart of ice near the end of the 1st quarter.  He's a good dude but he was busting it at a time you think he would watching the game.

But seeing him like that illustrated how badly things were going.

Screw these two big scoreboards that are halfway informing me about the game, give me a short line and some popcorn.

WilsonHog

In the South Indoor Club, I don't need a blackened (it wasn't) ribeye sandwich or a special BLT. What I need is a brat on a bun that is in no more than two pieces and a cold beverage.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 11, 2017, 10:30:56 pm
In the South Indoor Club, I don't need a blackened (it wasn't) ribeye sandwich or a special BLT. What I need is a brat on a bun that is in no more than two pieces and a cold beverage.
This.

I'm good with the expense of it all.  I'm not a high roller but I can afford my seats.  But when you mess with my food and drink, we have a problem.

We're getting a little to fancy at the expense of convenience at a football food stand.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Porked Tongue on September 11, 2017, 10:33:13 pm
This.

I'm good with the expense of it all.  I'm not a high roller but I can afford my seats.  But when you mess with my food and drink, we have a problem.

We're getting a little to fancy at the expense of convenience at a football food stand.

You mean y'all don't want Filet Mignon with Sauce Bernaise?

Sh....t son. How about some fries, hush puppies and catfish.

Porked Tongue

swineology

Quote from: Porked Tongue on September 11, 2017, 09:48:58 pm
I've been going to games in Fayetteville for a long time and been around for lots of large crowds but I've never experienced a worse situation for fans than Saturday.  It was if the concourse had shrunk and the entire stadium was stacked up underneath the seating area.  Of course, we have had more people before but something was amiss this time.

1. Concessions seem to be the culprit and their lines created the congestion.
2. A new provider with some new offerings was advertised but the bottomline is it was harder to get a bite or a drink than I've ever seen it.  This was all around the East, West and South end concourse.
3. I'd compare it to a permanent halftime rush to the toilet.
4. Without a doubt, there were few release points for congestion.  Many vendors are gone and the main concessions could not handle the load.  The lines were all the way across the concourse and you had to play red rover red rover to break through line after line to get somewhere.
5. There was no popcorn at stands that advertised them, some of the stands ran out of water and no selling being done around the stadium.
6.  The Chick Fil-A had been converted into a poor man's Mini-Mart.  Lame doesn't describe the lack of selections

It was so poorly planned it created congestion like I've never seen.

Thinking about it afterwards, I think it has to do with less vendor around the concourse and the main concessions that were open had less counter workers and less lines. Instead of 6-8 lines to order with 6-7 people in a line, you'd see 3-4 lines of 12-14 people.

Yet they did have room for a car dealership and a auction of memorabilia clogging the passage ways.

This all occurring despite the game being in the middle of the afternoon when most people would have eaten a meal already.

If they'd spend more effort like keeping the basics, having more stands and enough people to work them it would help.

The good news is it left money in my pocket that I gladly spent outside the stadium.

I'm not usually a complainer on these kinds of things but when the wait is 45 min, they run out of water, combo meals don't have all the offerings and popcorn can't hardly be found then its a astronomical failure.

Don't get me started on the inside game continual infomercial of ads and repetitive pomp.

Yeah, the game sucked but I'm about used to that.  But this other?  Inexcusable.

I go to the game to watch the game, not eat.

Pisses me off when you have 300 people in sec 104 heading to concessions during the game. Most of them are millennials that don't give two craps about the game. Eat at the tailgate and quit making me get outta my seat every 2 minutes.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Porked Tongue on September 11, 2017, 10:39:30 pm
They pimped Hummus with veggies.

Maybe if you're a chick.

And just for the record, impossible to "pimp" hummus and vegetables.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: swineology on September 11, 2017, 10:40:09 pm
I'm a noted multi-tasker.  I enjoy a snack like popcorn and a soda or water (when I can get them within an hour) while I watch the game.

WilsonHog

Also had some nice little popsicles with fruit inside. Four different flavors, same taste.

Großer Kriegschwein

Lol.

WTH is happening to ball games?

Next thing you know they'll be a bathroom attendant passing out towels and mints.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 11, 2017, 10:46:42 pm
Also had some nice little popsicles with fruit inside. Four different flavors, same taste.
Saw them.  They would have sold more cold water if they were allowed too.

snoblind

Pisses me off when you have 300 people in sec 104 heading to concessions during the game. Most of them are millennials that don't give two craps about the game. Eat at the tailgate and quit making me get outta my seat every 2 minutes.

Amen. 

Porked Tongue

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 11, 2017, 10:48:20 pm
Lol.

WTH is happening to ball games?

Next thing you know they'll be a bathroom attendant passing out towels and mints.
Line is 45 minutes for mints.

Großer Kriegschwein

WilsonHog

Quote from: Porked Tongue on September 11, 2017, 10:49:18 pm
Line is 45 minutes for mints.

Friggin popsicles took damn near the entire 3rd quarter.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 11, 2017, 10:50:15 pm
How long for the barber shop?
Didn't spot it.  Probably in the suites.

But you could bit on a helmet worn vs Missouri last year or a Belk preloaded debit card with Sprinkles fingerprints on it.

swineology

Quote from: Porked Tongue on September 11, 2017, 10:43:35 pm
I'm a noted multi-tasker.  I enjoy a snack like popcorn and a soda or water (when I can get them within an hour) while I watch the game.

More fans/people on the move in sec 104

Total BS to have to move every two minutes, enjoy your damn popcorn

Porked Tongue

Quote from: swineology on September 11, 2017, 10:57:52 pm
More fans/people on the move in sec 104

Total BS to have to move every two minutes, enjoy your damn popcorn
Yeah, I heard that section ate a lot.

But those people couldn't have been going to the concession that often.  It took 45 minutes at the minimum for a single trip.

widespreadsooie

Have you ever put that delicious butter, out of a shady canister, on your popcorn at a movie theatre? Mmmmmmm, it's good. Highly recommended.

bennyl08

Quote from: Porked Tongue on September 11, 2017, 09:48:58 pm

... astronomical failure.

Dear god. The band's halftime show is way, way, way, way more important than concessions at a football game and even that is something I can't imagine being something I would take the time to complain about on hogville. 

Complaining about concessions at a football game is like complaining that a concert sucked because you weren't a fan of the t-shirts they offered.

Why anybody bothers with that is a complete mystery. Seriously, you can't go 3-4 hours without eating? If you have diabetes or some medical condition, by all means. However, when you're buying food, that's time you aren't watching the game whether it's a 5 min or a 50 minute wait. Especially when getting that food means you are paying ten bucks for 2 dollar quality. Are you paying money to eat food or watch a game? Should be standing the entire game save for time outs and quarter breaks unless you are old and you body is incapable of doing so. Should give everything in your lungs to make the stadium loud when on defense, and be there to celebrate first downs, touchdowns, and big plays on offense.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

WilsonHog

Quote from: bennyl08 on September 11, 2017, 11:21:15 pm
Dear god. The band's halftime show is way, way, way, way more important than concessions at a football game and even that is something I can't imagine being something I would take the time to complain about on hogville. 

Complaining about concessions at a football game is like complaining that a concert sucked because you weren't a fan of the t-shirts they offered.

Why anybody bothers with that is a complete mystery. Seriously, you can't go 3-4 hours without eating? If you have diabetes or some medical condition, by all means. However, when you're buying food, that's time you aren't watching the game whether it's a 5 min or a 50 minute wait. Especially when getting that food means you are paying ten bucks for 2 dollar quality. Are you paying money to eat food or watch a game? Should be standing the entire game save for time outs and quarter breaks unless you are old and you body is incapable of doing so. Should give everything in your lungs to make the stadium loud when on defense, and be there to celebrate first downs, touchdowns, and big plays on offense.

Do you think the coaches and players can hear me through the glass?

Now, I must admit that settling back in that theatre seat with an ice cold beer in hand is hard to beat.

Porked Tongue

Usually, you can go during the lengthy timeouts or at the quarter.  Just a quick grab and go.  But now I got to give up a full quarter of the game so I might rethink it going forward.

And I did end up going without food, but I did indulge in a drink as I got something for my child.  Clear bag policy makes it tough to get those Snickers through security.

I was fortunate in that I missed seeing the first missed field goal.

What is this band you speak of?

jvanhorn

Quote from: Porked Tongue on September 11, 2017, 09:53:15 pm
I want to go to the games but I'm starting to wonder if they give a damn about anyone not is a suite.

Of course they don't.  Same reason the St. Louis Cardinals basically told Arkansas don't bother bringing busses of fans up here anymore .  We could care less.  All we need is the St. Louis metro area and west Illinois across the river to fill the place up.  Heck it is all they can do to tolerate people coming in from Springfield.  Same reason they tried to stop broadcasting on KMOX.  They don't need fans from the rural areas.  Same with the Razorbacks.  Which is why you see more and more Arkansas State Red Wolves stickers on cars.  My sense is that OU, OSU,Arkansas State and even Memphis are going to pick up some fans over the coming years.  Even  Nebraska didn't try to kill the Golden Goose this bad.

HogFoo

I was stuck from a couple mins before halftime until 11mins into the 4th quarter!  Then they ran out of water and popcorn!   Ya know what pissed me off, it was kind of a joke, after waiting so long. Do I stick around so that the 45mins I've wasted doesn't feel so bad or do I stick it out to get my damn snack and miss all of the game???   Ya know it came to me, why the he'll do they not have closed caption TV in the concourse showing the game to those in line. Seriously.  It can't be that expensive to put a couple of 42" TVs around the concourse so people can actually convince themselves waiting in line is worth it!  Biggest sh*tshow I've seen in a while!
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

ChitownHawg

Well that should go well with your Chardonnay and Brie.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

bennyl08

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 11, 2017, 11:23:20 pm
Do you think the coaches and players can hear me through the glass?

Now, I must admit that settling back in that theatre seat with an ice cold beer in hand is hard to beat.

Well, if you are actually watching the game, there is no glass and you are usually within throwing distance of the coaching staff. If there's glass in front of you, why are you even at the stadium, just so you can watch TV? Seriously, what is the point? Does your presence make it the stadium louder? Are you joining in on the shared of experience of watching the game live with 70k other people? No. You have a shared experience with the 5-20 other people in the suite. It's like paying thousands of dollars to go watch a concert only to be in a sound proof room and somebody play you a recording of the concert. I don't get it.

However, back to the main issue, those complaints are going to fall on deaf ears. Complaining that your voluntary decision to stop watching the game and leave led you to miss time from the actual game? Say it ain't so! Don't want to miss the game, then don't leave unless you have to.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

The real Hogules

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 11, 2017, 10:38:10 pm
You mean y'all don't want Filet Mignon with Sauce Bernaise?

Sh....t son. How about some fries, hush puppies and catfish.

That's great and all, but it's not worth standing in line and missing an entire quarter of the football game, good!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

HardCore

Quote from: The real Hogules on September 12, 2017, 07:11:47 am
That's great and all, but it's not worth standing in line and missing an entire quarter of the football game, good!

It might be this year.  Yes, took 1/2 a quarter to get a Coke. I mean a Yankee Coke
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

Redhogs

Quote from: Porked Tongue on September 11, 2017, 09:53:15 pm
Jeff Long baby!!
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 11, 2017, 10:52:04 pm
Friggin popsicles took damn near the entire 3rd quarter.
Better than watching what was going on down on the field.. ;) ;) ;) ;)
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

navyhog24

Give it about 3 weeks and the concessions will be wide open with lack of attendance and will open up even more as the season goes on.

ImHogginIt

Some of us need a Pepsi  :puke: at halftime to mix with the rum we sneak in  >:(

WilsonHog

Quote from: bennyl08 on September 12, 2017, 01:31:30 am
Well, if you are actually watching the game, there is no glass and you are usually within throwing distance of the coaching staff. If there's glass in front of you, why are you even at the stadium, just so you can watch TV? Seriously, what is the point? Does your presence make it the stadium louder? Are you joining in on the shared of experience of watching the game live with 70k other people? No. You have a shared experience with the 5-20 other people in the suite. It's like paying thousands of dollars to go watch a concert only to be in a sound proof room and somebody play you a recording of the concert. I don't get it.

However, back to the main issue, those complaints are going to fall on deaf ears. Complaining that your voluntary decision to stop watching the game and leave led you to miss time from the actual game? Say it ain't so! Don't want to miss the game, then don't leave unless you have to.

I go to spend time and make memories with my family.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Karma on September 11, 2017, 09:52:02 pm
Similar to a while back, problems like these increase the already growing perception of many that the games are more enjoyable on a big screen tv at home.

Right.  Does Jeff Long ever walk around in the concourses?

HuntsvilleHawgFan

My only experience with the concessions came about 90 minutes prior to kickoff.  Upper West side, no line at all, concessions just opened.  I ordered 2 hot dogs, had them on the counter within seconds of ordering.  However, the kid at the cash register, who looked like he belonged in Junior High School, did not know how to ring up hot dogs, after about 2 minutes of fumbling around, got help from someone else, and after a quick crash course on running the cash register, I was able to pay.  I can only imagine how things got when it became really busy. 

spe450

I just wanted a bottle of water.  Normally, I'd buy from the people hiking up and down the aisles, but there were none.  A trip to concessions and 45 minutes later, I got it.  That process normally takes 10 minutes at half time.

I just cannot believe the Guys posting these lies in this thread.  Some of you Guys are usually decent but now you decide to lie in this thread.  Whats Up?  Everybody who reads Hogville knows our greatest AD ever, Mr. Jeff Long, wouldn't allow such poor service in this venue.  Just ain't gonna happen.  You windbags.