Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

At least we are staying on the first page of ESPN's NCAAF page...

Started by razorbackcpa, September 23, 2012, 08:15:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

razorbackcpa

Arkansas' free fall continues

I hate the fact that they don't add the S after "Arkansas'", but none the less, we're still front page material, folks.  8)

BassinHawg

Add the S? It's correct!

Arkansas's would be incorrect but might fit this season better.
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

razorbackcpa

Quote from: BassinHawg on September 23, 2012, 08:21:31 am
Add the S? It's correct!

Well, not adding it isn't incorrect, but it's preferred by most journals to add the s.

Wants2Win

Arazorbackguy1

Arkansas' is the proper spelling.

Arkansaw's is the most proper spelling though.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

nationwish

It's acceptable on occasion to use an "s" after the apostrophe for a word ending in "s." The general rule is in how you would pronounce the word. When saying "Arkansas's" you would pronounce the extra "s" at the end. When saying something like "my parents' house" you don't add the "s" because you don't pronounce it.

Grammar rules change over time; and there are differences in rules for different functions, i.e. journalism, research papers, formal invitations, and literature. Personally, I think the rule I described above makes the most sense.

Hogustus Caesar

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on September 23, 2012, 08:27:01 am
Arkansas' is the proper spelling.

Arkansaw's is the most proper spelling though.

It's "R-Kansas's" if you're Les Miles.
"Mastering the art of discourse with the tenacity of a razorback and the eloquence of an emperor – HogustusCaesar, where discussions meet greatness."

Dont Hassle the Hoff

razorbackcpa

Quote from: nationwish on September 23, 2012, 06:19:14 pm
It's acceptable on occasion to use an "s" after the apostrophe for a word ending in "s." The general rule is in how you would pronounce the word. When saying "Arkansas's" you would pronounce the extra "s" at the end. When saying something like "my parents' house" you don't add the "s" because you don't pronounce it.

Grammar rules change over time; and there are differences in rules for different functions, i.e. journalism, research papers, formal invitations, and literature. Personally, I think the rule I described above makes the most sense.

The rule is relative to the number of objects to which you are referring. For instance, Arkansas is one unit, so you add the s. Parents is more than one unit, so you do not add the s. However, literary journals recently have accepted not adding the s when the word already ends in an s. The problem with "Arkansas'" is that it wouldn't be correct under any rule, because you do not pronounce the final s in Arkansas. You need the s after the apostrophe in order for the word to even sound correct.