Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MSU and LSU thoughts

Started by Hawgon, November 14, 2005, 09:48:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawgon

MSU is too bad for me to come out and predict a loss, but this was (apparently ::)) a very emotional victory.  Take a look over the years of HDN's record after a very emotional victory or loss.

Loss to MSU after the Stoernover

Pounded by a terrible LSU team after the nationaly televised revenge game against MSU the next year

Pounded by UNLV after an emotional win over a ranked LSU team to get bowl eligible

Only a patented Matt Jones miracle run in the closing minutes saved us against MSU after the seven overtime game

Getting completely shellacked by Georgia after the "Miracle" play in the LSU game

Win at Texas, come out flat in the next three games

Can't really think of signature moment like this last year

The point is, HDN's teams almost always show up flat after a big win or loss. 

Another thing lost in all this is how close it was at Ole Miss.  On the two toucdowns to Monk.  One was thrown into double coverage and easily could have been an interception.  Another, was very nearly intercepted and taken back for a touchdown.  If either one of those balls had been thrown just a fraction differently, then that game would have been completely different.

Short point to a long post, I expect the team to lay an egg this weekend.  MSU may just be bad enough that we get away with it. 

HOG71

Biggus Piggus

Mississippi State is seriously bad on offense.  They have a decent pass rush, a mediocre secondary and a not-so-good run defense.  We would have to gag on it bigtime to lose this game in Little Rock.  No way it happens.
[CENSORED]!

HOG71

Any team can beat any team on any given week, which is a great thing about college football.  I do hope you are right Biggus, I feel pretty good about it

Kilgor

A loss to MSU in Little Rock?  That would be like losing to Vandy. 

Won't Happen.
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

JDHogg

Where does Ole Miss rate with their offense?  They hung 17 on us.  Are they ahead or behind MSU in SEC ratings?  My concern is that they are probably feeling the desparation we were feeling last week, and as Hawgon said......we do have a tendency to come out flat.
"That's why you want something a little different", says Nutt entering his 9th season on the hill.
"You look at Florida last year," Nutt says.  "They struggled with their offense because of change...overhaul change.  Change is hard."

Quoted from August 2006 Hootens's Arkansas Football.

BushHawg

We may or may not get beat by MSU this weekend because you can't say "should win" with this Hog team.  But looking ahead to LSU, any chance we beat them?  At Tiger Stadium, BCS implications, West possibly on the line.  Probably not but who knows.

I live down here so this game always affects me because pretty much everyone here is an LSU fan.  Right now they're all talking about coulda, woulda, shoulda in their loss to Tennessee, but here are a few observations, not intended as flames:

- Arizona State outplayed LSU and coulda, woulda, shoulda beat them if that last crazy catch at the end was batted down.

- Auburn outplayed them and if their kicker makes 1 or 2 of 5 field goals they coulda, woulda, shoulda won that game.

- They talked all week about how Alabama had no offense but I knew it was going to be a defensive struggle.  It was and came down to a crap shoot in OT.  coulda, woulda, shoulda and Bama could have won that game.

In some ways you have to have the ball bounce your way a few times to have a successful season, but I just think they've had their fair share this year and it would be nice if it could happen for the Hogs once this season.  Preferably day after Turkey day.

"I love cats...I just can't eat a whole one"

mikeirwin

Quote from: JDHogg on November 14, 2005, 10:07:05 am
Where does Ole Miss rate with their offense? They hung 17 on us. Are they ahead or behind MSU in SEC ratings? My concern is that they are probably feeling the desparation we were feeling last week, and as Hawgon said......we do have a tendency to come out flat.
"They hung 17 on us" ??
First time I've heard that expression used to describe two TD's and a FG. Don't forget 10 of the 17 points they "hung" on us came as a direct result of fumbles that left Ole Miss on the front porch of the Arkansas goal line.

PorcineSublime

I wouldn't be surprised if we came out naked in pads and jocks only. Or if the head cheerleader is the QB for the first snap. This has been a bizzare year. Now if the head cheerleader came out naked and was the QB, that would both surprise and delight me ( assuming the head cheerleader is female).WPS ;D
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

Ark Blitz

Pig Power

All of HDN's eligibility is gone... He can't take another snap. He is the head cheerleader still though.

JDHogg

Quote from: mikeirwin on November 14, 2005, 10:27:45 am
Quote from: JDHogg on November 14, 2005, 10:07:05 am
Where does Ole Miss rate with their offense? They hung 17 on us. Are they ahead or behind MSU in SEC ratings? My concern is that they are probably feeling the desparation we were feeling last week, and as Hawgon said......we do have a tendency to come out flat.
"They hung 17 on us" ??
First time I've heard that expression used to describe two TD's and a FG. Don't forget 10 of the 17 points they "hung" on us came as a direct result of fumbles that left Ole Miss on the front porch of the Arkansas goal line.

I say that because they were able to take the ball into the end zone which we've had trouble doing prior to Saturday.  If you don't have any offense, you can't convert two turnovers into points.  One of our scores was defensive as well.  Maybe the words weren't indicative of the situation, however they were able to score off turnovers.  That also means they were able to drive for a touchdown without the assistance of a turnover.  I'm still "miffed" at Houston's comments in the post-game.  The reactions were much like a defensive back who makes a big play late in a game with the head-shaking etc. and  is blind to the fact that his team is behind 55-7.
"That's why you want something a little different", says Nutt entering his 9th season on the hill.
"You look at Florida last year," Nutt says.  "They struggled with their offense because of change...overhaul change.  Change is hard."

Quoted from August 2006 Hootens's Arkansas Football.

tulsahog36

Casey Dick's passing makes me ask one thing: Why hasn't he been playing all year?  The ability to throw the ball and overall poor decisions by Robert Johnson kept Arkansas from wins vs. Vandy, Alabama, and Georgia.   We should see a new confidence in HDN to call pass plays, and confidence in a QB that can complete them.   That being said:  MSU should be a win.  Might be a close  game, but Arkansas has more talent than MSU.   That brings us to LSU.   LSU playing for a BCS berth at home, they will have a lot on the line.   But think back to Georgia and Alabama, they also had BCS hopes when they played Ark and the only thing the kept arkansas from winning those games was the lack of a passing attack.     I have been saying it all year, Arkansas' future on offense is bright with Mcfadden, Jones, Monk, Logan and Hillis.    Now that the defense has to defend the pass, Mcfadden and Jones will be even more dangerous.   It was just Ole miss last saturday, but I look for HDN to call more passes vs. MSU and LSU, and that kind of balance could produce a shocking victory vs. LSU.   Arkansas has been so close all year (except vs. USC), the new found passing game will make beating LSU a reality.    ((2006: Jones=bush, Mcfadden--better than lindale white, Monk and Chris Baker and Hillis, Mitch playing the role of Leinhart.   Arkansas will start off the year by beating 3 time champion USC)!!!!!

Fletch

Quote from: tulsahog36 on November 14, 2005, 11:21:23 am
Casey Dick's passing makes me ask one thing: Why hasn't he been playing all year? The ability to throw the ball and overall poor decisions by Robert Johnson kept Arkansas from wins vs. Vandy, Alabama, and Georgia. We should see a new confidence in HDN to call pass plays, and confidence in a QB that can complete them. That being said: MSU should be a win. Might be a close game, but Arkansas has more talent than MSU. That brings us to LSU. LSU playing for a BCS berth at home, they will have a lot on the line. But think back to Georgia and Alabama, they also had BCS hopes when they played Ark and the only thing the kept arkansas from winning those games was the lack of a passing attack. I have been saying it all year, Arkansas' future on offense is bright with Mcfadden, Jones, Monk, Logan and Hillis. Now that the defense has to defend the pass, Mcfadden and Jones will be even more dangerous. It was just Ole miss last saturday, but I look for HDN to call more passes vs. MSU and LSU, and that kind of balance could produce a shocking victory vs. LSU. Arkansas has been so close all year (except vs. USC), the new found passing game will make beating LSU a reality. ((2006: Jones=bush, Mcfadden--better than lindale white, Monk and Chris Baker and Hillis, Mitch playing the role of Leinhart. Arkansas will start off the year by beating 3 time champion USC)!!!!!
You have to allow for the fact that Dick has probably improved as the year has gone on. He may have been a better passer than RJ earlier but still not prepared to take over. It's hard to imagine going into this year that he was farther along than Johnson from the beginning. Nutt almost pulled the trigger against MSU and perhaps he should have. We probably still would have lost to Ga. but maybe we beat SC. It is sad that all we have is to play "what if"
I feel like $100

WILL CLINTON

But you have to remember that next year that HDN won't open up the playbook until the season is long gone, just like this year.  Repeatedly he does this.  Even in games and not seasons, he waits until we are basically out of the game to open anything up. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

Tammany Tom

Quote from: BushHawg on November 14, 2005, 10:10:02 am
I live down here so this game always affects me because pretty much everyone here is an LSU fan. Right now they're all talking about coulda, woulda, shoulda in their loss to Tennessee, but here are a few observations, not intended as flames:

All fans talk about woulda, shoulda, coulda, it's called being a fan. You are what your record says you are. We are 8-1, ranked number 4 in the nation, and playing for the SEC Championship. There are about 110 teams in the country that would love to be in our shoes right now.

- Arizona State outplayed LSU and coulda, woulda, shoulda beat them if that last crazy catch at the end was batted down.

Arizona State outplayed us in the first half, we outplayed them in the second. One "key" area that tons of people constantly overlook is special teams. Lots of people don't consider special teams play to "rate" in determining if a team outplayed another team. Virginia Tech has become a national power because Frank Beamer puts more emphasis on special teams than do a ton of other coaches throughout the country. LSU won this game because of superior special teams play. We emphasize special teams here at LSU and we win games because of it.

I don't like using the hurricanes as excuses for our poor play at the beginning of the year, but I will tell you this: Our coaching staff did a remarkable job of holding our team together for the month of Septemeber. You try to manage a team when one third of your team has family that has been displaced by a major catastrophe. We had something like 20-25 players with family staying with them at their apartments for up to 3 to 4 weeks after the hurricane. Skyler Green, alone, had 20 family members staying at his apartment. You want to tell me that that does not affect players? We had most of our team participating with the Red Cross and other groups working long hours to help with evacuees. Our players lost an average of 7-10 lbs during the 3 weeks after Katrina.

We had to postpone our first game of the year, taking away a vital warm-up game prior to playing ASU. We had to move the Arizona State game to Phoenix the monday before the game was to be played. We moved the Tennessee game to Monday after Hurricane Rita hit LA on the Saturday that the game was supposed to be played. These are major, major distractions while players lost homes and relatives.  It is a major tribute to the strength and charachter of our football team that we performed as well as we did in September.

- Auburn outplayed them and if their kicker makes 1 or 2 of 5 field goals they coulda, woulda, shoulda won that game.

Auburn outplayed us? The stats from the game are almost identical. True, they missed 5 field goals. We dropped two touchdown passes and missed a chip shot field goal as well. That's 17 points to their 15 missed opportunity points. Things happen. We made one more play than they did to win the game. Big games come down to 1 or 2 plays and the winning team is the team that makes the 1 or 2 plays to win. We won.

- They talked all week about how Alabama had no offense but I knew it was going to be a defensive struggle. It was and came down to a crap shoot in OT. coulda, woulda, shoulda and Bama could have won that game.

We appreciate and understand that great defense is how you win championships here in Louisiana. We did have and still do have great respect for Bama's defense. Every LSU fan that I know all talked that this game would be a 17-14 type game. Yes, Bama could have won the game, but they didn't. Again, we made one more play than they did and won the game. LSU has a pretty damn good defense too and it was two great defenses going at each other in a Bigtime SEC football game.

If you want to think that the ball has bounced our way this year go on thinking that. This team had to overcome more adversity than you can possibly imagine. We had no balls bouncing our way for half the season and persevered through it all admirably.

tulsahog36

WE lost to freaking vandy at home mainly because Robert Johnson was the 2nd worst starting QB in the SEC (only Michael Spurlock at Ole Miss was worse).   Do we need to remind you about him stepping out of bounds in the last minutes that gave Vandy the time on the clock they needs to complete that last touchdown pass?  It was not just RJ's poor throws that ruined Arkansas' season, it was  his year long ability to make bone head plays. 

BushHawg

good replies for the most part.  All through the purple and yellow glasses but you're a fan like you said.  As long as you don't get as bad as Jim Hawthorne.

Just from an outsiders point of view AZ St. and Auburn both did outplay you.  Stats don't always tell the way the game went.  Nothing wrong with getting the breaks but LSU always seems to get them.  At least admit that.  Besides the Miracle on Markham usually LSU is on the other end of those bizarre ways of winning.

I don't quite get your point about special teams.  You've got Skylar (sp?) Green's speed but besides that how do you make kickers miss so many field goals.  Oregon State, Auburn, what're yall doing with those crazy double-legged goalposts down there.
"I love cats...I just can't eat a whole one"

HOG71

LSU is a very good team.  I had honestly written them off after missing the first non conference.  They have great talent(as always) and they are VERY well coached. Win or lose, I am glad they are on our schedule

WILL CLINTON

following along in Nuttster's footsteps of blaming the players for the loses and deflecting the blame of where is should be, at the feet of the coach, Houston Nutt.  You dont think the loss to Vandy could have been prevented by playing McFadden and/or Jones against a team that had just given up 250+ yds to a BACKUP RB from Wake Forest and after our rushing attack was ranked #1 in the country?? Get real.  RJ was not the problem, Nutt was.  Nutt played him like he was the best when he had Dick sitting on the bench.  if Nutt opened up the playbook with Johnson, we probably wouldn't even be talking about Dick.  Open up your eyes and see that Nutt is the basis of every problem that we have had this season.  Remember the game against USC, it was Johnson who checked into the touchdown pass to Monk right after USC's first score. Whose fault is it that RJ was the "2nd worse starting QB in the SEC"?  Nutts. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

PennHOG

I'm not that impressed with LSU's offense.  I think we ought to be about to keep it below 30 points (that's not saying much I know).  But defensively I think they've got too many horses for us to be able to overcome mistakes.  Turnovers will make that game a blow out and show just how young and inexperienced Casey Dick is. 
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

taintlint

I'll be at the slaughter in Baton Rouge. It would be more pleasent to watch my grandfather rape a goat for three hours than watch what LSU will do to us but I have an obligation to friends, so I have to go.

taintlint

Quote from: taintlint on November 14, 2005, 11:58:20 am
I'll be at the slaughter in Baton Rouge. It would be more pleasent to watch my grandfather rape a goat for three hours than watch what LSU will do to us but I have an obligation to friends, so I have to go.

testing....

LSUFan

Quote from: taintlint on November 14, 2005, 11:58:20 am

Is the goat hot? ;D

taintlint

Is the goat hot? ;D

No. It is covered in boils and shoots puss out of it's ankles every time it takes a step. Get the idea of how bad it will be in Baton Rouge now?

Tammany Tom

Quote from: BushHawg on November 14, 2005, 11:44:57 am
good replies for the most part. All through the purple and yellow glasses but you're a fan like you said. As long as you don't get as bad as Jim Hawthorne.

Just from an outsiders point of view AZ St. and Auburn both did outplay you. Stats don't always tell the way the game went. Nothing wrong with getting the breaks but LSU always seems to get them. At least admit that. Besides the Miracle on Markham usually LSU is on the other end of those bizarre ways of winning.

I don't quite get your point about special teams. You've got Skylar (sp?) Green's speed but besides that how do you make kickers miss so many field goals. Oregon State, Auburn, what're yall doing with those crazy double-legged goalposts down there.

Of course I see things through P&G glasses just as your fans see through Red ones.  I thought ASU outplayed us too, particularly in the first half. However, our special teams play propelled us to victory in that game. Blocking a FG and returning it for a TD and then blocking a punt and recovering inside the 20 help in victory.

My point about special teams is this: LSU is number one in the SEC in Punting, Number one in kick-off coverage, and number 2 in Punt returns. Skyler makes teams alter the way they punt the ball to us and it usually results in good field position for us. Some teams, like LSU, emphasize special teams play and it really helps us win very close ball games

The wind was blowing very hard during the Auburn game and it hurt the FG kickers on both teams. Two of Auburn's missed FG's were 45+ yarders that had a very, very low % of making with that wind. Dewayne Bowe dropped a sure TD pass right between his numbers at the beginning of the 4th quarter that hurt us bad and Early Doucet dropped another sure TD pass later on. Outsiders love to jump on the fact that Auburn missed 5 FG's and that is why they lost and totally overlook the two passes dropped by wide open LSU recievers standing in the end zone. 

One more thing about breaks: Good teams make them and bad teams don't. Fans of the good teams see that their team made the plays to win and fans of losing teams talk about other teams getting all the breaks to win.

Nutt_Hate_Me

I'm not that sold on LSU either.  The SEC seems down this year with no really dominant team.  Some may argue that LSU is that dominant team, but they lost to Tennessee, granted they still had hurricane hangover but still Tennessee.  I was also expecting LSU to be dominate Alabama, not pull one out in OT.  Even their win over Appy State wasn't that impressive 371 yards of O against a DI-AA team, come on.

I'm not saying we should be favored but we have a good shot, especially if Dick and the offense continue to improve.

Winning out would be great for the players, and for building for next year, but you know what would be even better for the players and building on next year, a freaking bowl game and an extra month of practice.  Winning out will leave me extremely frustrated, because it will show with a little more intestinal fortitude, creativity and risk taking from the coaches we could just as easily be anywhere from 6-5 to 8-3. 
It's great to be home.

Net Hog

Nutt didn't play Dick earlier b/c Frank didn't order him to until the SC game.

taintlint

Put down the Kool-AID!! Just like we are a few "executed" plays from having 6 wins, LSU can say the same damn thing. They are only a few plays from being undefeated. Give up that we will win in Baton Rouge. IT WILL NOT HAPPEN. The only question to be answered is can we keep it from being a slaughter. On a positive note, we will win this Saturday. If we lose to a team with Miss. St.'s record, then, well, we just need to light ourselves on fire................
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/teams/mmq/schedule

PulledPork

It's Arkansas, they want to keep the "Boot", nuff said! ;D

Pulled out!

Theolesnort

Quote from: Fletch on November 14, 2005, 11:27:32 am
Casey Dick's passing makes me ask one thing: Why hasn't he been playing all year? The ability to throw the ball and overall poor decisions by Robert Johnson kept Arkansas from wins vs. Vandy, Alabama, and Georgia. We should see a new confidence in HDN to call pass plays, and confidence in a QB that can complete them. That being said: MSU should be a win. Might be a close game, but Arkansas has more talent than MSU. That brings us to LSU. LSU playing for a BCS berth at home, they will have a lot on the line. But think back to Georgia and Alabama, they also had BCS hopes when they played Ark and the only thing the kept arkansas from winning those games was the lack of a passing attack. I have been saying it all year, Arkansas' future on offense is bright with Mcfadden, Jones, Monk, Logan and Hillis. Now that the defense has to defend the pass, Mcfadden and Jones will be even more dangerous. It was just Ole miss last saturday, but I look for HDN to call more passes vs. MSU and LSU, and that kind of balance could produce a shocking victory vs. LSU. Arkansas has been so close all year (except vs. USC), the new found passing game will make beating LSU a reality. ((2006: Jones=bush, Mcfadden--better than lindale white, Monk and Chris Baker and Hillis, Mitch playing the role of Leinhart. Arkansas will start off the year by beating 3 time champion USC)!!!!!
You have to allow for the fact that Dick has probably improved as the year has gone on. He may have been a better passer than RJ earlier but still not prepared to take over. It's hard to imagine going into this year that he was farther along than Johnson from the beginning. Nutt almost pulled the trigger against MSU and perhaps he should have. We probably still would have lost to Ga. but maybe we beat SC. It is sad that all we have is to play "what if"
Fletch one thing you have to remember about Ark offense is that it is simple and not complicated. In fact it is to simple but I will leave that for another time. From day one it was apparent to any sane mind that Casey could be the QB we have been looking for. He should have been groomed as the back up from the 1st day of the fall. It is not that he is a good passer or that he can put touch on the ball and is extremely accurate when he has to be. Where he stands above the rest is that he is as tough as a boot and will stand in the pocket and deliver the ball accurately and then take the hit. This is something that RJ would probably never master being that he seems to not like the heat. You said he probably was not ready until now but remember the simplicity of the offense. I went to several closed practices and that he was by far the best was a no brainer. Heck several players I talk to have been raving about him all fall. By the way there  is a receiver by the name of Rod Coleman that the players are also raving about too. Getting back to the point. Think how good Dick might be by now if he had been the starter since Vandy. It should put a little sparkle in your eyes just thinking about it. The coaches blew this one.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

taintlint

That "Boot" means nothing. It is a big golden piece of David Bazzel crap. It reminds me of one of the gold plated products that you see being sold at a booth in the middle of the mall.

PulledPork

It's "special"..... ;D

Pulled out!

HOG71

Quote from: Theolesnort on November 14, 2005, 12:27:57 pm
Quote from: Fletch on November 14, 2005, 11:27:32 am
Fletch one thing you have to remember about Ark offense is that it is simple and not complicated. In fact it is to simple but I will leave that for another time. From day one it was apparent to any sane mind that Casey could be the QB we have been looking for. He should have been groomed as the back up from the 1st day of the fall. It is not that he is a good passer or that he can put touch on the ball and is extremely accurate when he has to be. Where he stands above the rest is that he is as tough as a boot and will stand in the pocket and deliver the ball accurately and then take the hit. This is something that RJ would probably never master being that he seems to not like the heat. You said he probably was not ready until now but remember the simplicity of the offense. I went to several closed practices and that he was by far the best was a no brainer. Heck several players I talk to have been raving about him all fall. By the way there is a receiver by the name of Rod Coleman that the players are also raving about too. Getting back to the point. Think how good Dick might be by now if he had been the starter since Vandy. It should put a little sparkle in your eyes just thinking about it. The coaches blew this one.

I completely agree snort.  Can you tell us more about Coleman?

Biggus Piggus

Vaughn missed field goals from 37, 39, 41, 49 and 54 yards.  The 49-yarder was at the end of regulation, just a reach.  The 54-yarder didn't hurt, as Auburn held LSU, forced a short punt, and Kenny Irons took the first down handoff 74 yards.  The 37-yarder was just a gag, and the 39-yarder doinked off the left upright to end the game.
[CENSORED]!

Theolesnort

Coleman is a Alworth type. Good hands speed about 6 foot 3 and can climb the rope. In other words has a tremendous vertical jump.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Tammany Tom

November 14, 2005, 12:48:53 pm #36 Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 12:52:36 pm by Tammany Tom
Quote from: Nutt_Hate_Me on November 14, 2005, 12:21:55 pm
I'm not that sold on LSU either. The SEC seems down this year with no really dominant team. Some may argue that LSU is that dominant team, but they lost to Tennessee, granted they still had hurricane hangover but still Tennessee. I was also expecting LSU to be dominate Alabama, not pull one out in OT. Even their win over Appy State wasn't that impressive 371 yards of O against a DI-AA team, come on.

I'm not saying we should be favored but we have a good shot, especially if Dick and the offense continue to improve.

Winning out would be great for the players, and for building for next year, but you know what would be even better for the players and building on next year, a freaking bowl game and an extra month of practice. Winning out will leave me extremely frustrated, because it will show with a little more intestinal fortitude, creativity and risk taking from the coaches we could just as easily be anywhere from 6-5 to 8-3.

The SEC is not down this year. There has been a major change in the power structure of the SEC and some perceive that as being down. In the past the East was the power side of the league, but over the past 5 years that has changed. No longer does Florida, Tennessee, and Georgia dominate the West. LSU, Auburn, and now this year, Alabama, have turned the power in the league to the west. Great defensive play has dominated this league and it makes for "ugly" football.

If you don't live down here in southern Louisiana, you cannot and will never be able to comprehend how much damage hurricane Katrina and Rita did. You cannot imagine the physical and mental toll that epic disasters like this take on people. You have no comprehension on how much they affected our football team for a full month, none. That being said, yes we still lost to Tennessee, however most of us here in SE Louisiana understand why we lost.

Do you for one minute think that LSU put any emphasis on playing Appy State the week prior to playing Alabama? LSU played vanillla offense and defense and started substituting freely half way through the first quarter. The players all admitted that they were not up for the game and were looking ahead to Bama.

If you were expecting LSU to dominate Bama then you are in the minority. Most of us die-hard LSU fans knew that we would not dominate them. Bama has one of the best, if not the best, defense in the country. Their defense makes every team they play look bad. However, our offense did what it had to do to win the game. We played turnover-free offense and JR made the key passes to win the game. Our offensive line gave JR time to find open receivers and he took advantage. Our defense adjusted at halftime to put incredible pressure on Brodie and we dictated to their offense on what it could or couldn't do in the second half.

HOG71

Quote from: Theolesnort on November 14, 2005, 12:46:22 pm
Coleman is a Alworth type. Good hands speed about 6 foot 3 and can climb the rope. In other words has a tremendous vertical jump.

Where is he from?

Theolesnort

Same as Shawn Andrews, Camden

HOG71

Flatline

You guys act like we are not even playing Miss State.  Do you not think that they will be playing this game like it is their bowl game.  They will bring everything they have and leave it on the field.  Remember we have a massive amount of freshman and they could have a bad game.  The win in the "Rock" is not a guarantee

Theolesnort

Quote from: Tammany Tom on November 14, 2005, 12:48:53 pm
Quote from: Nutt_Hate_Me on November 14, 2005, 12:21:55 pm
I'm not that sold on LSU either. The SEC seems down this year with no really dominant team. Some may argue that LSU is that dominant team, but they lost to Tennessee, granted they still had hurricane hangover but still Tennessee. I was also expecting LSU to be dominate Alabama, not pull one out in OT. Even their win over Appy State wasn't that impressive 371 yards of O against a DI-AA team, come on.

Winning out would be great for the players, and for building for next year, but you know what would be even better for the players and building on next year, a freaking bowl game and an extra month of practice. Winning out will leave me extremely frustrated, because it will show with a little more intestinal fortitude, creativity and risk taking from the coaches we could just as easily be anywhere from 6-5 to 8-3.

The SEC is not down this year. There has been a major change in the power structure of the SEC and some perceive that as being down. In the past the East was the power side of the league, but over the past 5 years that has changed. No longer does Florida, Tennessee, and Georgia dominate the West. LSU, Auburn, and now this year, Alabama, have turned the power in the league to the west. Great defensive play has dominated this league and it makes for "ugly" football.

If you don't live down here in southern Louisiana, you cannot and will never be able to comprehend how much damage hurricane Katrina and Rita did. You cannot imagine the physical and mental toll that epic disasters like this take on people. You have no comprehension on how much they affected our football team for a full month, none. That being said, yes we still lost to Tennessee, however most of us here in SE Louisiana understand why we lost.

Do you for one minute think that LSU put any emphasis on playing Appy State the week prior to playing Alabama? LSU played vanillla offense and defense and started substituting freely half way through the first quarter. The players all admitted that they were not up for the game and were looking ahead to Bama.

If you were expecting LSU to dominate Bama then you are in the minority. Most of us die-hard LSU fans knew that we would not dominate them. Bama has one of the best, if not the best, defense in the country. Their defense makes every team they play look bad. However, our offense did what it had to do to win the game. We played turnover-free offense and JR made the key passes to win the game. Our offensive line gave JR time to find open receivers and he took advantage. Our defense adjusted at halftime to put incredible pressure on Brodie and we dictated to their offense on what it could or couldn't do in the second half.
Tom some of these people have got the wrong idea about Les Miles. Sure almost any coach pales to Nick and while it is true that Les may not be the most cerebral coach around he is smart enough to hire a top notch staff ( something I will not accuse Nutt of by the way) and he is fundamentally sound. LSU is in fine hands with Miles but if LSU does not take ARK seriously then they might be in trouble if Dick continues to progress. By serious I am talking about the players. I do expect the players though to listen to the coaches and be ready but it could be another good game with LSU winning.

msudawgs64

Quote from: taintlint on November 14, 2005, 12:25:53 pm
If we lose to a team with Miss. St.'s record, then, well, we just need to light ourselves on fire................

LOL, need I remind you that Arkansas is 3-6 overall and 1-5 SEC, we are 2-7 overall and 0-6 SEC.  So tell me what record has to do with anything.  Do you read right to left in terms of Arkansas' record?  That would at least make it 6-3 and 5-1 eh?  LOL
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

Net Hog

Quote from: msudawgs64 on November 14, 2005, 01:34:33 pm
If we lose to a team with Miss. St.'s record, then, well, we just need to light ourselves on fire................

LOL, need I remind you that Arkansas is 3-6 overall and 1-5 SEC, we are 2-7 overall and 0-6 SEC. So tell me what record has to do with anything. Do you read right to left in terms of Arkansas' record? That would at least make it 6-3 and 5-1 eh? LOL

This season, we have infinitely more conference wins than you.

msudawgs64

Quote from: Net Hog on November 14, 2005, 01:37:41 pm
Quote from: msudawgs64 on November 14, 2005, 01:34:33 pm

LOL, need I remind you that Arkansas is 3-6 overall and 1-5 SEC, we are 2-7 overall and 0-6 SEC. So tell me what record has to do with anything. Do you read right to left in terms of Arkansas' record? That would at least make it 6-3 and 5-1 eh? LOL

This season, we have infinitely more conference wins than you.

um, one is not infinite..LOL
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

LSUFan

In some ways you have to have the ball bounce your way a few times to have a successful season, but I just think they've had their fair share this year and it would be nice if it could happen for the Hogs once this season. Preferably day after Turkey day.

I'd rather be lucky than good, anyday.

Net Hog

Quote from: LSUFan on November 14, 2005, 01:39:07 pm

In some ways you have to have the ball bounce your way a few times to have a successful season, but I just think they've had their fair share this year and it would be nice if it could happen for the Hogs once this season. Preferably day after Turkey day.

I'd rather be lucky than good, anyday.

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.

brooks74

We'll beat MSU, but it probably won't be a blowout, Nutt won't be daring enough to let that happen.  We'll get a 10 point lead and run left then run right the whole game and sqeak it out b/c Nutt didn't want to make a mistake.  LSU will be close because our defense has improved and there offense is decent, but not great.  I watched the bama/LSU game this weekend and Russell looked better when he scrambled than when he was in the pocket, so here's hoping we tackle him and not just get pressure on him

LSUFan

An MSU fan talking smack is tantamount to going to a house of illrepute looking for a wife, it just don't make sense.

msudawgs64

Quote from: LSUFan on November 14, 2005, 01:43:28 pm
An MSU fan talking smack is tantamount to going to a house of illrepute looking for a wife, it just don't make sense.

who was talking smack?  Just questioning/finding much humor in that statement about beating us because of our record as though Arkansas record was "infinitely" greater than ours.  LOL