Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lets just stop...and think a little

Started by Cresthog, February 08, 2006, 04:18:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Cresthog

There once was a day when the entire state of Arkansas would turn there television set on and flip straight to the channel that was showing the Razorbacks. It was a time when the likes of Thurman, McDaniel and Beck roamed the hardwood inside of Bud Walton Arena. The state was in love with a team, a college, and a dream of a national championship. Times have changed and twelve years later, it seems as if we have all forgetten the glory days. It is time that we all sit back as hog fans and remember the effort and the determination that the 94' Championship team gave every single game. Along with exceptional talent and great coaching the dream season was completed and it seemed as if the State of Arkansas ruled the world. With an Arkansan in the White House and a national title, things could not get any better.

I remember growing up and watching that incredible team play every Saturday. Time stood still for "40 minutes of hell" while the game was being played. Watching the game was a weekend ritual for most around the state. A tradition that is no longer in existence. Basketball ruled the natural state and its team stole the hearts of many across the nation.

Lets get straight to the facts. No longer does that love for basketball thrive in Arkansas. No longer do we sit down with the family and watch those basketball hogs run up and down the floor with excitement. A lame crowd often fills Bud Walton with only a few glimpses of the hostile environment that is used to be. Teams feared BWA and never won there. Home court advantage for hogs was compared to the likes of Duke and Cameron Indoor Stadium, along with Kentucky's Rupp Arena. It was a new landmark that instantly put fear in the opponents eyes once they got a look at the slobbering hog and the vicious fans inside.

The past few years have been frustrating for all hog fans. It also seems as if the only people cheering and supporting the Razorbacks throughout this state are U of A alumni, but it wasn't always like that. "The Glory Days" as I like to call them were filled with regular people that never attended the University and some whom have never even been to Fayetteville, cheering for the there Razorbacks. Lets face it, no matter where someone may be, if stated they were from Arkansas, they were recognized as a Hog. I wish that it could still be that way in this state, but it isn't. Animosity towards the University and their athletics has grown tremendously over the past few years. No longer do parents want there kids to attend the university, especially in the Eastern section of the state. What has gone so wrong? Why has the perception of the University changed so much?

I realize that academics are the focal point of a university but realistically, people do not follow a college for their academics, its all about sports. Basketball used to be our major sport. We were college basketball through the nineteen nineties. Yes, we have gotten a new coach and yes many things have changed in time, but I see no reason why we cannot changed the attitude towards the program. After all this season is one that fans MUST support the team. Negativity will not get us in the big dance. Fan support is just as important as coaching in my opinion. You may not think that the coach is doing the job right but lets not discuss his firing during the season so that it can distract the players even more. If negativity is all the players hear from the fans, then what do they have to play for as a team? If there fans do not believe, then why should they believe?

My point is that during the 94' season everyone believed in the team and it did not stop there. Most fans I know believed in our program and teams until about 2001. Now it seems like fan support has been drastically lost throughout the state during a time when it is most needed. Lets not get too down on our hogs, lets pick them up when they are down and get this season back on track. I challenged everyone on this board to stop the negativity and hate towards all programs at our great university. Having an opinion is good, but bad mouthing everything that goes on with our teams is wrong. It is possible to have an opinion and also be a fan. Lets support this team and all teams from here on out and help get this state behind them again.

three

18 thousand strong at each and every game, even with a loss looming large, refute your statement that the excitement is gone.  And I go one step further, this team beats MSU and LSU to start conference play like they should have, every crowd since is 20,000 strong.  It's easy to support a team ranked in the top 10 every year and contending for a NC title every year.  When many were promised by the coach himself this team would be back to contending this year, and now they sit a game behind Alabama, who lost their top player to injury, for 2nd in the division, many are going to be upset, and well they should be.  The fans have watched a once great program topple, and there's nothing they can do.  Are you telling me that doesn't anger you?

Don't blame the fans for expecting the best.  When all you have in your state are the Razorbacks, and that's what makes an other wise insulted state respected, and all that team can manage are losing seasons in the two "money sports", fans have a right to be irritated and expect more.  It is the AD, coaches and staff on the hill that is robbing these fans of that.  Talk to Dave Van Horn and John McDonnell, and they will not hesitate in telling you the proudest they feel is winning a game and hearing the hog calls.  Coaches should want to win for the fans, and as much as they are disappointed in themselves for losing, they should be just as upset if not more so for letting the fans down.  Houston Nutt and Stan Heath are disappointed in losing just like any competitor, but they do not feel obligated to winning for the fans.  Great coaches appreciate the fans and their jobs, these two take them for granted.  Without the fans, where would the money come from?  Hog fans built Razorback Stadium, Hog Fans built Bud Walton Arena, their love support and admiration of the Razorbacks built Fayetteville, and now those same fans have to watch each and every opponent that comes to Fayetteville for a football or basketball game stomp all over their beloved hogs.  You tell me, how is that fair?
Worrying is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere.

Cresthog

Three, I think you've taken my writing the wrong way. I agree with you on every aspect that you argue. Im not saying "Its the fans fault." Not one time have I ever thought that. In fact, its the administrations fault. I myself do not like Nutt, nor do I support Heath. I wrote this article to inform fans of what Razorback Basketball used to be and how it has declined. I also wrote this article to stop all of the negativity towards the basketball team at this time. Lets face it, we are not out of it yet. I think this team can still win a lot of games and make the tournament.

Yes 18,000 still come to the games, but the last time I checked....The atmosphere (IMO) has changed. Maybe its just me,but I just dont think we should be shooting negativity at this team during the middle of the seaso. It aint over yet fellas.

three

I agree that the atomsphere isn't even close to what it once was.  I also agree we shouldn't shoot negativity, but I believe it shouldn't be directed to the players.  The coaching staff has let everyone, the players and fans, down this season.  That's where the negativity comes from.  Everyone was promised this year would be different, and it has not been.
Worrying is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere.