Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

THis statement should be made to every incoming Fr on EVERY Fb team in America

Started by hogsanity, February 08, 2006, 10:07:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

"I dont care who your daddy is!  I dont care what the other coach promised you!  I dont care what all conference Bullsh** you were in Hs!  We are gonna work now!"

For those who have seen the movie " the Junction Boys" you recognize that as a quote ATTRIBUTED to Bear Bryant.  Some people debate that is what he said, those that were there pretty much agree he did.  But a good qucik does of reality might be good for these guys who have been treated like some sort of greek god while being recruited. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogfan064

THat was a good movie.  Probably the best one ESPN put together.  Although "3" wasn't that bad. 

mikeirwin

It was good entertainment but not entirely accurate.
If The Bear had really done all of that stuff to his players he would have been arrested.
Football was a different deal back then and there were lots of mean SOBs like Bryant coaching teams but time has a way of exaggerating things.
I had a guy tell me one time that Bowden Wyatt's coaches would hit their players with a razorback strap if they didn't immediately pop back up to their feet after hitting the ground in practice.
Then I talked to a guy who actually played on the '54 team. He said to me, "Billy Ray Smith Sr. was on that team. If anybody had hit him with a razorstrap they'd have been eating the thing for supper."

hogsanity

Oh I know that Mike.  When a movie says "based on a true story"  most of it is exaggeration, but the statement is a good one.  THese guys have been treated like kings the last year or 2.  Some make the adjustment quickly, realizing they are no longer the be all end all. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hawgon

I don't know.  Have you ever read the book?  The movie left out a bunch of stuff that happened in the book.  If anything, it was worse in the book than in the movie.  The main sources for the book were the players themselves, so I am inclined to believe that for that one summer, at least, Bear Bryant was as bad as they made him out to be.  In fact, one thing that the book brought out that was left out of the movie was the fact that Bryant felt so guilty about that summer and that team, that he softened up considerably after that.  He realized that he had gone too far.  He really did make a guy with a broken back play and he really did make them practice three and four hours in 110 degree heat without water. 

The book was pretty funny as well when they talked about the season and going to Arkansas.  Lots of whiskey bottles were thrown in those days and we had the reputation as a particularly nasty crowd.  The dirtiest players however, were at Baylor.  Seems like I have heard that is true up until the modern age as well.

mikeirwin

If several players say something happened I'd tend to believe it. If it's just one or two I'd be skeptical.
Players tend to have selective memories.
I remember arguing with one of my HS teammates about a fullback we had. We were in a big game and the fullback went about 15 yards off tackle on a trap play on the opening play of a drive. In my mind the QB kept calling that play over and over as we gained huge chunks of yardage. I do know that the fullback scored on the last play of the first half and he was crying from exhaustion when he got up to go to the locker room. So I'm telling my old teammate that the fullback carried the ball like 14 times on this one drive. He said I was crazy. He said the fullback was fat and out of shape. That's why he was crying. We finally went to the archives of our local newspaper and looked up the game story. According to the reporter who wrote the story the fullback carried the ball 5 times on that drive including a 1 yard plunge for a TD.
The passing years apparently did a number on my memory of that situation.

realtorhog

Quote from: mikeirwin on February 08, 2006, 02:48:54 pm
If several players say something happened I'd tend to believe it. If it's just one or two I'd be skeptical.
Players tend to have selective memories.
I remember arguing with one of my HS teammates about a fullback we had. We were in a big game and the fullback went about 15 yards off tackle on a trap play on the opening play of a drive. In my mind the QB kept calling that play over and over as we gained huge chunks of yardage. I do know that the fullback scored on the last play of the first half and he was crying from exhaustion when he got up to go to the locker room. So I'm telling my old teammate that the fullback carried the ball like 14 times on this one drive. He said I was crazy. He said the fullback was fat and out of shape. That's why he was crying. We finally went to the archives of our local newspaper and looked up the game story. According to the reporter who wrote the story the fullback carried the ball 5 times on that drive including a 1 yard plunge for a TD.
The passing years apparently did a number on my memory of that situation.

You know what "they" say........The older a player gets...the better he WAS.