Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would moving the college 3pt line to NBA range help the game?

Started by hogsanity, February 08, 2006, 08:29:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

or hurt it?

I think it would hurt it initially because guys would continue to try to shoot 3's only they would miss a lot more than they do now, but over time it would help return then need for the mid range jumper.

Right now there is no real need to shoot a 14-18 ft shot.  Either pound it down inside or shoot from 19'9.  Back that thing up to 22+ and it is a much tougher shot. 

What do you guys think about the 3pt line?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogfan064

Well, if you like upsets then you don't want the 3 point line moved back.  The 3 pointer has given the little guy hope.  How many times do you see a double digit seed knock off a big team because it gets hot 1 night from 3 point range. 

It is crazy that teams are shooting on average 18 3's a game if I'm not mistaken.

hogsanity

THe thing I always think is that the 3 pt line is only 4'9" farther than the FT line and a FT is only worth 1 pt. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogfan064

Quote from: hogsanity on February 08, 2006, 08:45:58 am
THe thing I always think is that the 3 pt line is only 4'9" farther than the FT line and a FT is only worth 1 pt. 

Speaking of Free Throws, there's a lady from Northern Iowa University(I believe that's the right university) that has made 120+ consecutive FTs.  She's something like 128-130 on the year!!

hogsanity

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: hogsanity on February 08, 2006, 08:58:07 am
thats cool, she may have actually practiced.

"So what are you trying imply hogsanity" 

J/K  ;)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

hogsanity

GrizzledHogFan

I like the idea of moving the 3pt line to NBA range because  1) 3 point shots are too common right now  2) it would help to prepare players for shooting NBA 3s
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

mbgrulz

there are too many dunks, so lets raise the rim up.

lets quit trying to take the advantage away from pure shooters. we all like guys who can straight knock it down, yet we keep letting the rules change and the advantage keeps going to the physical bangers. used to, you could not touch the offenive player, now we play defense with one hand on  the jersey and one slapping them in the face.

why would the great game of college basketball ever want to take anything from the hell hole that is the NBA.

djgaffer

I would love it if they moved the line back.  The short three point line has had an effect everywhere in basketball.  a 19'9" jump shot isn't anything special.  Most of us who play pick up ball can hit it.  And if you know pick up ball, you go by 1s and 2s, making the 3 even more valuable. 

What happens then is you get either layups (dunks) or threes.  The mid range game has virtually disappeared.  Backing the line up would create more space and force players to develop more basketball skills.  I don't think it needs to necessarily be back to the NBA line, but a foot or two would help.

hogsanity

Quote from: mbgrulz on February 08, 2006, 11:20:10 am

lets quit trying to take the advantage away from pure shooters. we all like guys who can straight knock it down, yet we keep letting the rules change and the advantage keeps going to the physical bangers. used to, you could not touch the offenive player, now we play defense with one hand on  the jersey and one slapping them in the face.

why would the great game of college basketball ever want to take anything from the hell hole that is the NBA.

A pure shooter can hit from the nba line.  19'9" makes everyone THINK they are a pure shooter. 

geoffhog

It should be moved back at least to the international line. Its too easy a shot to be worth 3 pts. The pure shooters won't be hurt by it. The guys that shoot 27% from the 3 pt. line, but keep jacking em' up will have to learn to hit 15 footers like they should be doing.
"I was born to be a Razorback." -Darren Mcfadden

The_Bionic_Pig

Actually a higher rim would make some people shoot free throws like jump shots.   You are correct about the dunking but it would effect big men believe it or not more than super athetic types because most big men have a limited vertical (up and down) while the Ramar Smith, Sonny Weems types are jumping 3-4 feet from the goal anyway to dunk.  They would still dunk but not from as far out.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

hogsanity

THe current 3 pt line shrinks the court as well.  Perimeter players tend to camp just outside the line, move them back and the spacing might get better too. 

Buff

move it back.  i just play pick-up games now and on most days i (along with other guys) can light up the outside.  if i can do it, Div. 1 players should be able to do it better, theoretically anyway.  move it back and it will require more skill, to the point that only the best guys will do it occasionally.  i followed the Bulls religiously when Jordan was playing and a bunch of his best looking shots were turnaround jumpers from midrange.  he could do it so good that no one coluld stop him.  you hardly ever see that in college play - just 3s, layups/dunks, and some other sometimes lame attempts at layups from too far out.  moving the line back would spread the court out, and therefore possibly put more of an emphasis on playing D - something whick is missing in the NBA. 

Hawgin84

November 29, 1980, the first three point shot was made in college athletics by Ronnie Carr of Western Carolina University. Was the three point shot legalized because of international competition, to prepare the players for the NBA, or just make the game more interesting/exciting? I would like to see the line moved to NBA specifications. I've always thought it is too much of a "gimme" for three points.

realtorhog

How about moving all the lines to the international mark so the game can be uniform worldwide?

hogsanity

Because I am sick of coforming to the world.  I am sick of having to learn a foreign language just to go to wal-mart or order a whopper. 

realtorhog

Yeah, and I bet the entire rest of the world loves us pushing our form of government on them too, but it's just lines on the court and the same game of basketball.

Razorback88

lets quit trying to take the advantage away from pure shooters. we all like guys who can straight knock it down, yet we keep letting the rules change and the advantage keeps going to the physical bangers.
Actually, I think it would give more of an advantage to pure shooters.  The line now lets guys who aren't pure shooters make 3's, too.  I think about 21'6" would really be good.....the NBA line seems a little too far.

hogtheball

How far out would we have to move the line to discourage Brewer and Townes from ever taking another shot from out there?
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

fusbal11

Quote from: djgaffer on February 08, 2006, 11:21:33 am
I would love it if they moved the line back.  The short three point line has had an effect everywhere in basketball.  a 19'9" jump shot isn't anything special.  Most of us who play pick up ball can hit it.  And if you know pick up ball, you go by 1s and 2s, making the 3 even more valuable. 

What happens then is you get either layups (dunks) or threes.  The mid range game has virtually disappeared.  Backing the line up would create more space and force players to develop more basketball skills.  I don't think it needs to necessarily be back to the NBA line, but a foot or two would help.
I agree with you for the most part, but I think that at the same time you are developing way to many one on one posessions.  I think that is what wrong with USA basketball right now.  We no longer are the dominate force internationally because the NBA cares more about selling tickets to high scoring game rather than allowing team basketball and team defense.  How often do you hear about this NBA team or that NBA team that plays good team defense?  You really don't because there is just too much hardwood for 5 guys to cover.  The Pistons made a commitment to team defense and they won a championship, who else has done it.
Wooo Pig