Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nagging question on Sonny Weems...

Started by PigMan, February 07, 2006, 09:12:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PigMan

Why is it that he can have 4 stars per Rivals, but not be ranked nationally?  Is it because he is coming out of JC?  Input appreciated.

PigMan

I would think 4 stars would put him at least in the top fifty.

hogfan064

Don't they have a seperate ranking for JUCOs? They do in football

hogstorm

Quote from: PigMan on February 07, 2006, 09:12:34 am
Why is it that he can have 4 stars per Rivals, but not be ranked nationally?  Is it because he is coming out of JC?  Input appreciated.
yeah its the JC thing, it would be nice to know how they think the #1 (by most) JC Player stacks up recruiting wise against incoming freshmen

The real Hogules

Quote from: hogfan064 on February 07, 2006, 09:33:09 am
Don't they have a seperate ranking for JUCOs? They do in football

They MUST seperate them, because Sonny Weems was rated as the preseason #1 Juco player in the Nation, if I'm not mistaken.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

D-macs cuz

I think it's the JC thing too...from what I've heard about him he reallly knows how to score.

hogfan064

http://jucojunction.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1199

Here's your answer.  Weems is rated top JUCO prospect in nation.  This is rivals JUCO website. 

hogfankb

To me the nagging question is does he have a jump shot?

We need a shooter a lot more than a "raw" scorer, especially if brewer sticks around

PigMan

Quote from: hogfan064 on February 07, 2006, 10:07:19 am
http://jucojunction.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1199

Here's your answer.  Weems is rated top JUCO prospect in nation.  This is rivals JUCO website. 

Damn, that's great. And, we have his LOI.

PigMan

Quote from: hogfankb on February 07, 2006, 10:27:04 am

We need a shooter a lot more than a "raw" scorer, especially if brewer sticks around

Sorry hogfankb I missed your connection there.  What is the difference between a shooter and a scorer?  A shooter may or may not be a scorer?

hogfan064

Quote from: PigMan on February 07, 2006, 11:03:44 am

Sorry hogfankb I missed your connection there.  What is the difference between a shooter and a scorer?  A shooter may or may not be a scorer?

A big difference in a shooter and a scorer.  Shaq is a scorer, but not a shooter.  When I think about a shooter I think about someone who can hit the 3s and hit the 18 footers.  A scorer could be a post player or a slasher. 

PigMan

hogfankb

Quote from: hogfan064 on February 07, 2006, 11:07:09 am
Quote from: PigMan on February 07, 2006, 11:03:44 am

A big difference in a shooter and a scorer.  Shaq is a scorer, but not a shooter.  When I think about a shooter I think about someone who can hit the 3s and hit the 18 footers.  A scorer could be a post player or a slasher. 

Correct. A shooter can be a scorer but a scorer maybe not be a good shooter. I would throw brewer into the scorer but not shooter roll.

The_Bionic_Pig

Sorry no Cannon Whitby or Alex Dillard in this class.  Now the closest thing to a scorer would be Patrick Beverley 36 ppg.  (Arkansas is in his final 4)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

LordStanleysHog

Weems has a very nice shot, with range from 15-20 feet.  He's jump shooter, meaning he's not a Brewer who would rather slash than come off a screen and knock down jumpers... Saw him in person, peels off screens nicely and knocks down the shot, plus he's very athletic.  I can't wait to see him in the Red and White uni next season coming off a Stewie Hill screen and raining jumpers...

hogfankb

Heard he is a great player. Love having him no matter what. But we really need someone who is a threat from outside of 10 feet.

hogfan33

My question is how is the number 1 juco player in the nation and not 5 stars? Is it because they wont give 5 stars to a juco kid, or because the juco class is down this year?

clemensrules01

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on February 08, 2006, 02:06:14 pm
Sorry no Cannon Whitby or Alex Dillard in this class.  Now the closest thing to a scorer would be Patrick Beverley 36 ppg.  (Arkansas is in his final 4)
isnt ramar smith supposed to be a great shooter? are we still recruiting him?

Lando Calrissian

Maybe the same rules (regarding ratings in football) apply to basketball.

Safety John West's, a juco guy, "star" rating didn't factor into the overall class.  He was a 4 star if I'm not mistaken.

I'm guessing it works the same way in basketball recruiting (or at least in how these "services" rate classes).
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

LordStanleysHog

you really shouldn't get cought up in how many stars he's got or doesn't have... he can play... also it's hard to determine the level of competition in JUCO, I would think it's a "gun shy" type thing... he can definetly play, and is right on from 15-20 feet.  A much needed middle range jump shooter with range to go deeper...

realtorhog

I reeaallly miss Al Dillard......is that wrong?

Topcat

6 points in a game last week. Highlight on ESPN for big time dunk was impressive, but I thought we already had guys who could dunk the ball. We need outside shooters that will open up the middle. Walsh maybe?

hogfankb

Quote from: clemensrules01 on February 08, 2006, 03:30:04 pm
isnt ramar smith supposed to be a great shooter? are we still recruiting him?

Don't we only have 1 scholarship left available and it is even up in the air if we are going to use it?