Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nebraska fires their AD

Started by HoggyCat, September 21, 2017, 01:11:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HiggiePiggy

For 25 years Nebraska had with Tom Osborne.   10- 9 win seasons, 7- 10 win seasons, 3- 11 win seasons, 3- 12 win seasons, and 2- 13 win seasons.   3 NCs.

I would say he is probably the most successful as far as winning Precentage goes.  I think has like an .830%

255 wins 49 losses and 3 ties.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

longpig

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 21, 2017, 03:43:44 pm
At Nebraska, the Athletic Director made a poor Head Football Coach hire, and the AD gave that Coach an ill-advised and undeserving contract extension.  The AD got shown the door.

At Arkansas, the Athletic Director made a poor Head Football Coach hire, and the AD gave that Coach an ill-advised and undeserving contract extension and excessive buyout.  The AD is on a pedestal and has an untouchable status.

Shows the difference between expectations and shows the difference between a real collegiate football program and a pretender collegiate football program that is drifting in the wind and just going through the motions.
Riley's 2 seasons at Nebraska and Bielema's 4 here don't compare, and his salary and buyout aren't even in the same ball park. Suspect Eichorst was fired for some other reason. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

husker71

giving Riley a one year extension after he had lost 4 of his last 6 was the beginning of the end and the loss to NIU finished him off.  He actually gave him the extension at the end of last season but did not announce it until a few weeks ago.  Pellini was such a prick to fans and the media and there (like here) are not going to take it unless you are really successful.  Riley was hired because he was the anti-Pellini  all we heard was how nice of guy he was.  Lots of doubts about why he was hired in the 1st place but we all heard about how he could recruit Texas and California and we all fell for it.  Trev Albert took the AD job at Omaha and promptly dropped the highly successful wrestling team so he is not well liked by many people in Omaha.    By the way I think Nebraska football has had more academic all americans than any other program.  They used to have a freshman football team that would play junior colleges and other freshmen teams. Then they would get redshirted their sophomore year and so they had 2 years in the program before they stepped on the field as 3rd year sophomores.  That and their walk on program helped develop players.  You would be shocked how many of their fullbacks were walkons. 

longpig

Quote from: husker71 on September 21, 2017, 10:30:43 pm
giving Riley a one year extension after he had lost 4 of his last 6 was the beginning of the end and the loss to NIU finished him off.  He actually gave him the extension at the end of last season but did not announce it until a few weeks ago.  Pellini was such a prick to fans and the media and there (like here) are not going to take it unless you are really successful.  Riley was hired because he was the anti-Pellini  all we heard was how nice of guy he was.  Lots of doubts about why he was hired in the 1st place but we all heard about how he could recruit Texas and California and we all fell for it.  Trev Albert took the AD job at Omaha and promptly dropped the highly successful wrestling team so he is not well liked by many people in Omaha.    By the way I think Nebraska football has had more academic all americans than any other program.  They used to have a freshman football team that would play junior colleges and other freshmen teams. Then they would get redshirted their sophomore year and so they had 2 years in the program before they stepped on the field as 3rd year sophomores.  That and their walk on program helped develop players.  You would be shocked how many of their fullbacks were walkons.

I'd wager Eichorst was put on short notice for this, regardless of Riley's Ws and Ls.  The hell was he thinkin?
Don't be scared, be smart.

HardCore

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 21, 2017, 03:43:44 pm
At Nebraska, the Athletic Director made a poor Head Football Coach hire, and the AD gave that Coach an ill-advised and undeserving contract extension.  The AD got shown the door.

At Arkansas, the Athletic Director made a poor Head Football Coach hire, and the AD gave that Coach an ill-advised and undeserving contract extension and excessive buyout.  The AD is on a pedestal and has an untouchable status.

Shows the difference between expectations and shows the difference between a real collegiate football program and a pretender collegiate football program that is drifting in the wind and just going through the motions.

Sad...isn't it!  JL make me want to  :puke:
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on September 21, 2017, 05:16:21 pm
Still is until we find a coach that can turn Arkansas into a 8 to 11 win team on a yearly basis

Same for Nebraska as well.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

holeinthewall

One of the worst AD ever.  Why would anyone hire Mike Riley as the HC.  Oh yeah the same guy that hired Al Golden. LMAO.

hogsanity

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 21, 2017, 02:42:57 pm
They Lost the master of the Red shirt and Walk on Pipeline.  Tom Osborne had a 1/3 of his team as Walk on's and were on scholarship for academics etc.

and when the NCAA closed that loophole Neb started to decline
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Razorbackers

Quote from: HoggyCat on September 21, 2017, 06:40:37 pm
A dumpster fire tear in '13 that SHOULD have been 6-6, with a bowl pending.

A 6-6 '14 team that very well could've been 10-2.

Yeah, they COULD have won a national championship.

They COULD have discovered the lost city of Atlantis.

Hogwild

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on September 21, 2017, 04:17:05 pm
Frank Solich is a perfect example of why it is not good to follow a legend at the school. Tom Osborne had won 3 NC in 4 years.  Solich took over and was winning 9 to 12 games a year and had 1 7-7 season and they fired him because he couldn't get them to the NC game.

Solich actually got them to the NC game, was then fired two years later in a season where Nebraska won 10 games. Nebraska has really high expectations.

Bo record at Nebraska was 67-27 and got fired, Bret's record in the same division was 68-24, Jeff Long gave him a $30 million deal.

311Hog

Redhogs

Quote from: Hogwild on September 22, 2017, 08:50:30 am

Solich actually got them to the NC game, was then fired two years later in a season where Nebraska won 10 games. Nebraska has really high expectations.

Bo record at Nebraska was 67-27 and got fired, Bret's record in the same division was 68-24, Jeff Long gave him a $30 million deal.
But Jeffe's a genius. ::) ::)
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

husker71

won 3 out of 4 and maybe missed another when Darin Erstad missed a field goal vs Fla St that would have sent game into overtime.