Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What about Gulf Shores

Started by Hoot72, September 12, 2015, 11:05:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoot72

Going to be in the Gulf Shores/Fort Morgan area the first week in October, for a wedding on 10/5.  Anyone offer up any tips -- things to see, places to eat, etc ?

ricepig

HogimusMaximus

SHRIMP BASKET for eats (got real pretty waitresses, inepensive, all you can eat a few days a week)  Go to the actual Fort Morgan...pretty cool history site. 

Hog N Bama

Fish n Chips at Bambinos at THE WHARF in Orange Beach is awesome! Also, Sea n Suds on the beach in Gulf Shores use to have great seafood. Have not eaten there in several years though. Great locally owned restaurant.
Also, there is the Flip Flop Deli Shop, 524 W Beach Blvd, Gulf Shores. Razorback fan owned and managed  :razorback:

TomasPistola

Quote from: Hoot72 on September 12, 2015, 11:05:52 am
Going to be in the Gulf Shores/Fort Morgan area the first week in October, for a wedding on 10/5.  Anyone offer up any tips -- things to see, places to eat, etc ?

Fantastic place. Nice people. One side is for people wanting to have a fine dining experience, other side is a sports bar. Awesome steak there.
http://jessesrestaurant.com/
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

hamsam

Cobalt is great. I think it is technically in Perdido Key instead of Orange Beach.

"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

Tequilin' Time

I'm now a GS resident.  I know, long way from NYC and couldn't be happier about it.

Tried De Soto's  the other night and it was great!   wont talk about the places I've tried that I wasn't impressed with. 

Tequilin' Time

Quote from: Hog N Bama on September 12, 2015, 11:19:35 am
Fish n Chips at Bambinos at THE WHARF in Orange Beach is awesome! Also, Sea n Suds on the beach in Gulf Shores use to have great seafood. Have not eaten there in several years though. Great locally owned restaurant.
Also, there is the Flip Flop Deli Shop, 524 W Beach Blvd, Gulf Shores. Razorback fan owned and managed  :razorback:

Flip Flop Deli is just down the Blvd from me.   Will have to stop in and call the HOGS!!

AuburnHog

Cosmos in Orange Beach is one of my favorite restaurants anywhere. 

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: AuburnHog on September 12, 2015, 11:34:41 am
Cosmos in Orange Beach is one of my favorite restaurants anywhere.
Was at Cosmos last weekend.  We had our little guy with us so we went early and beat a lot of the rush.  Cool outdoor seating area.  Not beach/ocean front but really good food.

Hoot72

Board members, I am sorry -- I thought this was going in the travel and vacation board.  I screwed up, can somebody please move this

ricepig

Quote from: Hoot72 on September 12, 2015, 11:48:28 am
Board members, I am sorry -- I thought this was going in the travel and vacation board.  I screwed up, can somebody please move this

I knew you'd get a lot of responses in there, always a lot of Redneck Rivera questions asked.

Wisco Pig

Quote from: hamsam on September 12, 2015, 11:22:44 am
Cobalt is great. I think it is technically in Perdido Key instead of Orange Beach.

I second Cobalt.  Right under the Perdido Bay bridge.   Maybe the best grouper I've ever eaten.   That was a few years ago, though.

Huds_HawgTide

Pink pony pub was always rocking while i was growing up
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

AuburnHog

Also Louisiana Lagniappe is great.  For more casual seafood dining, Bahama Bob's and Doc's are really good.  The Original Oyster House is good but the one on the causeway is better in my opinion.   

60 Minutes of Hell

DeSoto's has been good for a long time -- I don't recognize any other restaurants that've been mentioned.  The Steamer also used to be really good.  I enjoyed deep sea fishing as much as anything else around there, but I know the Wharf has added a lot of attractions.
What a fool I used to be.

The Hawg Marshal

I agree with Cobalt. I love the garbage nachos at Tacky Jacks.

CoachHogT

Docs seafood and Florabama.....

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Original oyster house. 

Watch out for jellyfish and sharks.  Both were swarming in early August.  Got stung three times in first 15 minutes.  Did not get bit by shark.

Junkyard Hog

Louisiana Lagniappe is our favorite.  We eat there a couple of times every trip there.

Shrimp Basket and Gulf Shores Steamer are also very good.

If you get tired of seafood we like the pizza at Papa Rocco's.

If you have time, head over to Pensacola to the Naval Air Museum.

DeltaBoy

Visit the Forts and the Battleship Alabama.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HawgWild

Two Arkansas students on spring break made the local TV news down here yesterday on a segment on college kids drinking. One had been arrested for minor possession/public intox. Said it cost him $700. He was bummed out.

arkhogball

If you get a chance to go to Pensacola for a day, you should check out the Naval Aviation Museum.  It's totally free and could spend a whole day there.  You should check the Blue Angels practice schedule as well.  If they are practicing, you can watch the show for free right there at the museum.  Went and watched them several times when I lived there.  Do a google search for Blue Angels and it will give link to there website.  The practice schedule is on the website.

ricepig

Quote from: HawgWild on March 17, 2016, 02:42:41 pm
Two Arkansas students on spring break made the local TV news down here yesterday on a segment on college kids drinking. One had been arrested for minor possession/public intox. Said it cost him $700. He was bummed out.

What school?

panhandlepig

Quote from: HawgWild on March 17, 2016, 02:42:41 pm
Just an FYI for any of y'alls kids coming down to the coast this year, there is zero tolerance on the beach for underage drinking. 150 kids were arrested just last week in Okaloosa  and Walton county in Florida last week.
   The cops aren't playing around.  No matter how you may feel about some of the tactics used, it's all over social media. Kids gotta use their heads.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: panhandlepig on March 17, 2016, 06:45:20 pm
  Just an FYI for any of y'alls kids coming down to the coast this year, there is zero tolerance on the beach for underage drinking. 150 kids were arrested just last week in Okaloosa  and Walton county in Florida last week.
   The cops aren't playing around.  No matter how you may feel about some of the tactics used, it's all over social media. Kids gotta use their heads.

They should just like on the beach or take a dip in the ocean.         8)
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

DeltaBoy

It on my list of places to go back.  I love Gulf Shores.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

HawgWild

Quote from: ricepig on March 17, 2016, 04:54:45 pm
What school?

The graphic didn't show a school. it only gave their names and "Arkansas". They were the only persons show in that segment.

hogsfan31

Quote from: hamsam on September 12, 2015, 11:22:44 am

I've eaten here as well and the catfish was pretty dang good.

Hoot72

Any of you that go to the Gulf Shores area, particularly Fort Morgan, have you ever taken the ferry across the bay -- instead of going through the tunnel?

HawgWild

We've taken the Daphne to Fort Morgan Ferry a couple of times. Are you looking to save driving time?

Hoot72

Yes, and avoid the Saturday traffic in June

HawgWild

I'm not sure it'll be a time saver for you. You could avoid a lot of the 59 traffic by going through Fairhope and taking 98 over to Magnolia Springs and then to County Road 10 or 12 and joining 59 from there.

You going to Fort Morgan, Gulf Shores or Orange Beach?

Hoot72

Fort Morgan -- was there in October, but traffic was not a problem then.

HawgWild

I hate going through Mobile. We drove through Mobile @ 4:30 last Wednesday afternoon. My Google map app alerted us to a revised route which would take the Back Bay bridge instead of the tunnel. I missed the turn and ended up sitting in traffic before making it through the tunnel. We drove through Mobile last October on a Saturday and traffic wasn't nearly as bad as week day traffic has been.

Good luck!

DeltaBoy

Quote from: arkhogball on March 17, 2016, 02:47:29 pm
If you get a chance to go to Pensacola for a day, you should check out the Naval Aviation Museum.  It's totally free and could spend a whole day there.  You should check the Blue Angels practice schedule as well.  If they are practicing, you can watch the show for free right there at the museum.  Went and watched them several times when I lived there.  Do a google search for Blue Angels and it will give link to there website.  The practice schedule is on the website.

It a great place and I spent a whole day wandering around that place.

oldman1015

Quote from: Hoot72 on March 23, 2016, 11:35:49 am
Yes, and avoid the Saturday traffic in June
on a Saturday in june the ferry is not the answer. get to mobile before 11 am. that is the key. what day are you returning home?
Arkansas, the left lane state.

Hoot72

Quote from: oldman1015 on April 07, 2016, 03:54:44 pm
on a Saturday in june the ferry is not the answer. get to mobile before 11 am. that is the key. what day are you returning home?

Thanks, for the information.  Going to going back on Saturday morning -- we will probably leave early, so the ferry won't be the answer then either.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Hoot72 on April 07, 2016, 04:09:08 pm
Thanks, for the information.  Going to going back on Saturday morning -- we will probably leave early, so the ferry won't be the answer then either.

Get up before the Rooster and hit the road , take the ferry and you will be fine .  Last time I was in Gulf Shores I drove down on a Sunday and Back on a Saturday.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 21, 2015, 09:44:25 am
Visit the Forts and the Battleship Alabama.
the battle ship and sub museum was cool, but you could not be an overweight navyman, lol

PP

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 08, 2016, 10:24:39 am
Get up before the Rooster and hit the road , take the ferry and you will be fine .  Last time I was in Gulf Shores I drove down on a Sunday and Back on a Saturday.
did you drive a DeLorean??

PP

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on April 08, 2016, 10:36:08 am
the battle ship and sub museum was cool, but you could not be an overweight navyman, lol

PP

Yep in College I was a gym rat at Golds and weighed 210  18 inch neck ,46 chest 32 inch waist 16 inch arms 24 inch thighs 18 inch calfs and I was just 5.8 at the time  The Sub was tight for me in some places back then but I would be worried since my Chest has fell into my drawers.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 08, 2016, 03:44:01 pm
Yep in College I was a gym rat at Golds and weighed 210  18 inch neck ,46 chest 32 inch waist 16 inch arms 24 inch thighs 18 inch calfs and I was just 5.8 at the time  The Sub was tight for me in some places back then but I would be worried since my Chest has fell into my drawers.
<whoooooooooooosh>

PP

oldman1015

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 08, 2016, 10:24:39 am
Gulf Shores has changed a lot since you were in college. Last July there was a 3hr wait for the ferry after lunch on saturday.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

DeltaBoy

Last time I was through there was mid 1990's  But hitting the road at 4am saves you tons of headaches on road trips.

BR

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 12, 2016, 11:45:05 am
Last time I was through there was mid 1990's  But hitting the road at 4am saves you tons of headaches on road trips.
So it's been over 20 years... I'm sure NOTHING has changed since then.......   lol
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

AirWarren

Fort Morgan is great. That's where we stay.

Pigasaurus

Quote from: AP85 on April 17, 2016, 11:13:46 pm
Fort Morgan is great. That's where we stay.
Stayed at Beach Club. Very nice and was used to the long drive into Gulf Shores since folks rented beach houses in Ft Morgan for years.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

Pigasaurus

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on September 12, 2015, 01:28:50 pm
I agree with Cobalt. I love the garbage nachos at Tacky Jacks.

Had the nachos Tuesday night. Good stuff.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy