Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UA v A State article on national website

Started by LRRandy, January 29, 2018, 09:55:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigsknuckles

"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on January 29, 2018, 02:11:51 pm
Kobayashi Maru immediately comes to mind.

I had to look that up. You could have simply said "no win situation" for the non trekies out there. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Busta_Nutt

Mike Irwin

I'm pretty sure that it's against NCAA rules for a BCS school to play another BCS school in a spring game.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 29, 2018, 02:18:31 pm
I'm pretty sure that it's against NCAA rules for a BCS school to play another BCS school in a spring game.

I'm sure Guv's infamous former BOT friend can get that changed..............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

steveaustin69

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 29, 2018, 02:18:31 pm

It's not. Look it up.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 29, 2018, 02:14:19 pm
I had to look that up. You could have simply said "no win situation" for the non trekies out there. 

That would be no fun. Still, I think it is an appropriate description. We have nothing to gain.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

DeltaBoy

Quote from: GuvHog on January 29, 2018, 12:37:50 pm
Not really. I can see the 2 Universities playing a football game against each other once a year. It would be in WMS with the 2 schools splitting the stadium and alternating home  and visitor designations. It would be called The Governor's Cup Classic and all proceeds would go toward the renovation and expansion of WMS. That rivalry would easily pack an 80,000 seat stadium. Once the expansion and renovation is complete and paid for, the teams would keep the money from the tickets they would sell with the stadium getting parking and concession money.

Good Idea but I doubt it will ever happen.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Athog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 29, 2018, 10:34:45 am
Yep. Here's what it says on his bio:

a relentless provider of content for College Football News and A-State Fan Rules.

Nothing about that makes it "national" news or opinion. But not surprised it would be started on a thread by LRRandy.

AState trying to get traction! A state needs Uof A to make themselves relevant!
Go away!

RME

The personal text line of the OP says "tOSU."

Assuming that's "the" Ohio State University, I have a question for the OP:

Why doesn't THE Ohio State University play Ohio University in football every year?

HamIAm

Since when does the NCAA allow you play another school in your spring game?

Edit: Sorry Mike, I didn't see your post scanning through the thread.

WoooPigBrewie

DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

WoooPigBrewie

If the Red Wolves agree to the following, then play them every year.

1) This is NOT a guarantee game.  Meaning we DO NOT pay them $0.01 for playing the game.

2) The game will ALWAYS be the first game of the season. No exceptions.

3) The game will ALWAYS be played at War Memorial Stadium.  The Razorbacks will NEVER travel to Jonesboro.

4) The Razorbacks are allotted 36,620 tickets.  The Red Wolves are allotted 17,500 tickets.

5) The Red Wolves must remove the color red from their uniforms and markings.

6)  Neutral officials only.  No SEC or Sun Belt.

Under these rules, you'd find out if the Red Wolves were serious about playing the game.

DIAMOND BOWL BABY!
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

GuvHog

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on January 29, 2018, 02:16:46 pm
All of it. Absolutely preposterous post.

There is not a thing preposterous about it.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

steveaustin69

Busta_Nutt

Inhogswetrust

oldhawg

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 29, 2018, 02:35:51 pm

Why doesn't THE Ohio State University play Ohio University in football every year?

Be fair now.  They have played six times since 1899.

kp72204

Quote from: HeathWimp on January 29, 2018, 10:11:45 am
We don't need to talk about playing A-State until we are fielding teams capable of beating them.
LOLOLOLOLOLOL

LRRandy

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 29, 2018, 02:35:51 pm

most years they schedule an in state school. Bowling Green, Kent State, Cincinnati. and Ohio university among others are on the schedule nearly every year.
This is fun, isn't it.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: phadedhawg on January 29, 2018, 12:12:26 pm
We will just have to wait the boomer generation out when it comes to things like this.  The old money has dug in their heels on this and budging them from it would involve too much upset. 

I'm a Razorback fan for life, and I would love to play ASU in every sport, maybe not every year but often.  Even if we lost the game, we've had worse losses and survived. 

But the old money ain't getting younger and soon there will be a time when the AD doesn't run the program to please the dinosaurs. 

This is exactly the kind of stuff young idiots say. You want an even more difficult way to be successful? This is how it's done. When you're my age you're going to be talking about the good old days when Arkansas could hope to get 7 wins a year...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Cargill A. BullHog

Why on Earth would the Razorbacks play ASU?  Attendence would be pitiful, its a loss of recruiting for both teams, ASU would get embarassed year after year.  Frank had a good reason to keep them apart, I see no reason to change it
I love my Razorbacks, Coach A, Coach M, Coach VH and all the players and fans.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: GuvHog on January 29, 2018, 03:05:27 pm
There is not a thing preposterous about it.
Who does it? Maybe I've been living in a cave but I haven't noticed any teams playing an actual opponent in a spring game.

clew

Writer must be a Hogville lurker.  He obviously took my post from the 25th a little too seriously...

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=656133.msg11347217#msg11347217
Pure as the dawn

Athog

Quote from: LRRandy on January 29, 2018, 10:43:38 am
the link is to a national website. You are all awfully riled up about this. Scared it could happen maybe?

H** Arky Lite is the only ones asking. The U of A does not need another Sunbelt opponent. Nobody is that stupid!

phadedhawg

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 29, 2018, 03:43:50 pm
This is exactly the kind of stuff young idiots say. You want an even more difficult way to be successful? This is how it's done. When you're my age you're going to be talking about the good old days when Arkansas could hope to get 7 wins a year...

Already said it wasn't going to happen, nothing gonna be more difficult about it.  Boomers have a death grip on influence on the Hill (which they rightly earned) and they don't take kindly to ASU for whatever reason.  But the generations behind you, have a different outlook on things.  We don't see Arkansas as too superior to play a certain Sunbelt Conference team.  You can remember a shared national title and the joy of watching us lose to Texas in 69, I remember winning the SWC and always losing the Cotton Bowl.  We are living in two different worlds when it comes to the outlook of what Arkansas is about. 

The only way the Boomer generation will prevent this from happening is if they refuse to die.  And if hating the thought of playing ASU bothers you so much that you will extend your lifespan beyond the average lifespan, well...then you should thank us for giving you the fire to keep on going! 

Anyway, like I said, I don't see it happening in your natural lifetime.  I might see it.  I'm sure my kid will attend though and laugh about how serious those old timers took a regional program's prestige back in the day.  #WPS

DoctorSusscrofa

I'm amazed at what you girls get all worked up over.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

VBMark

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on January 29, 2018, 10:55:13 am
Technically any U.S. website is a "national" website. Is College Football News a credited national media source? No. You linked a blog post, dummy. It's not complicated.

Well, technically, any website is an INTERNATIONAL website. Now, we know that HV is "international" and therefore bigger than an A-State blogger. ;-)

Henceforth, Hogville shall be known as an "international website for all things known to be true about sports."

It has been decreed on Hogville, therefore let it be known as fact.
John L. Smith is so bad that he will laugh himself off the field

RockyMtnHog

Quote from: phadedhawg on January 29, 2018, 12:12:26 pm
We will just have to wait the boomer generation out when it comes to things like this.  The old money has dug in their heels on this and budging them from it would involve too much upset. 

I'm a Razorback fan for life, and I would love to play ASU in every sport, maybe not every year but often.  Even if we lost the game, we've had worse losses and survived. 

But the old money ain't getting younger and soon there will be a time when the AD doesn't run the program to please the dinosaurs. 

It goes a lot deeper than ^^^this^^^.  I do not see it happening in this or the next generation.  Big money donors have siblings that have never wanted it.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

roothawg

playing AState will draw more intrest from both sides.the hogs playing and paying other sunbelt teams draws no intrest. i am 100% hog but refusing to play any team is sad sad sad.

gchamblee

We should start a gofundme for Randy to help him get better at the internet.

clew

Quote from: VBMark on January 29, 2018, 07:38:14 pm
Well, technically, any website is an INTERNATIONAL website. Now, we know that HV is "international" and therefore bigger than an A-State blogger. ;-)

Henceforth, Hogville shall be known as an "international website for all things known to be true about sports."

It has been decreed on Hogville, therefore let it be known as fact.

Galactic even as I'm sure all of the astronauts and cosmonauts on the international space station read CFN. 🤣
Pure as the dawn

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

hog of steele

This is a no. AR doesn't want the game and I have been assured by the local A-state fans that they don't think about it either. So only a Few bloggers seem to care about it.

But I love the idea of a spring season. A home and home scrimmage against a regional team would be a huge boost for college football. Staggering the practices would give us a nice month or so of spring games. The rules could be set by the two teams to work on situations and make sure second teasers get in.

But I would love seeing some AR v OK state or something like that.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on January 29, 2018, 02:22:48 pm
That would be no fun. Still, I think it is an appropriate description. We have nothing to gain.

Agreed.

RockyMtnHog

There is a time coming very, very soon when no one will want to play Arkansas.  Arkansas will schedule anybody but there will be no takers.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

j-mann

they is no positive viewpoint for Arkansas to play a-st   

their AD will not agree to LR only 

their logo is a copy of ours 

a-st is about to enter a down period Anderson  has bad game management skills
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

Sivad

Quote from: phadedhawg on January 29, 2018, 07:03:54 pm

The only way the Boomer generation will prevent this from happening is if they refuse to die. 

OK, I refuse to die.

Athog

Athog

Quote from: Sivad on January 30, 2018, 02:39:01 am
OK, I refuse to die.

Live on dilly dilly! The only way this will happen is death!

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: phadedhawg on January 29, 2018, 07:03:54 pm
Already said it wasn't going to happen, nothing gonna be more difficult about it.  Boomers have a death grip on influence on the Hill (which they rightly earned) and they don't take kindly to ASU for whatever reason.  But the generations behind you, have a different outlook on things.  We don't see Arkansas as too superior to play a certain Sunbelt Conference team.  You can remember a shared national title and the joy of watching us lose to Texas in 69, I remember winning the SWC and always losing the Cotton Bowl.  We are living in two different worlds when it comes to the outlook of what Arkansas is about. 

The only way the Boomer generation will prevent this from happening is if they refuse to die.  And if hating the thought of playing ASU bothers you so much that you will extend your lifespan beyond the average lifespan, well...then you should thank us for giving you the fire to keep on going! 

Anyway, like I said, I don't see it happening in your natural lifetime.  I might see it.  I'm sure my kid will attend though and laugh about how serious those old timers took a regional program's prestige back in the day.  #WPS

Will any sections of WMS have to be designated as "Safe Spaces"? You know for the youngsters who see things differently than us old folks.... ;)
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

GuvHog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 29, 2018, 03:46:40 pm
Who does it? Maybe I've been living in a cave but I haven't noticed any teams playing an actual opponent in a spring game.

My apologies Mike, I didn't make my self clear. I wasn't referring to a spring game, I was referring to a regular season game.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

steveaustin69

Quote from: LRRandy on January 29, 2018, 09:55:24 am
This topic is gettin national play

http://collegefootballnews.com/2018/01/arkansas-razorbacks-arkansas-state-red-wolves-football-spring-game-sun-belt_heat

Quote from: widespreadsooie on January 29, 2018, 12:13:06 pm
What a terrible opinion.

Quote from: GuvHog on January 29, 2018, 12:37:50 pm
Not really. I can see the 2 Universities playing a football game against each other once a year. It would be in WMS with the 2 schools splitting the stadium and alternating home  and visitor designations. It would be called The Governor's Cup Classic and all proceeds would go toward the renovation and expansion of WMS. That rivalry would easily pack an 80,000 seat stadium. Once the expansion and renovation is complete and paid for, the teams would keep the money from the tickets they would sell with the stadium getting parking and concession money.

Quote from: GuvHog on January 30, 2018, 07:42:14 am
My apologies Mike, I didn't make my self clear. I wasn't referring to a spring game, I was referring to a regular season game.

That's what the original article is about; to which you proposed your preposterous plan.

Do you ever read before you post?

Michael D Huff AIA

First of all, let's look at the title of the article:
'For The Sake Of America, Do We A Need Red Wolves vs. Razorbacks Spring Game?"

The title makes no sense.  I get what it's supposed to say, but it doesn't.  There is a fundamental flaw.

This leads me to my second issue.

The speed-bump impeding Arkansas' in-state rivalry is decades upon decades of nonsensical "anti-logic" invented by the University of Arkansas Athletic Department and willfully served-up by the majority of the state's media: 1) that the Razorback's have nothing to gain (which is absurd), and 2) that preventing the rivalry spares Arkansas fans the burden of dual loyalties (which is utterly ridiculous).

The first (and in this guy's opinion the only) reason why this game shouldn't happen is Reason #1 above.  UA has nothing to gain. 
If we win, we're supposed to.  No credit given. 
If we lose, we got beat by a Sun Belt team and we lose recruits to Jonesboro. 

The second reason the author gives is one I never thought of but is crap anyway.

hogsanity

Quote from: LRRandy on January 29, 2018, 03:37:10 pm
most years they schedule an in state school. Bowling Green, Kent State, Cincinnati. and Ohio university among others are on the schedule nearly every year.

Well it is about once every 3 years, and there are like 9 other fbs schools in Ohio, AND the game is almost always in Columbus. OSu is not going to Kent or Akron, and it is never at a neutral site.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

WoooPigBrewie

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on January 30, 2018, 09:27:36 am
First of all, let's look at the title of the article:
'For The Sake Of America, Do We A Need Red Wolves vs. Razorbacks Spring Game?"

The title makes no sense.  I get what it's supposed to say, but it doesn't.  There is a fundamental flaw.

This leads me to my second issue.

The speed-bump impeding Arkansas' in-state rivalry is decades upon decades of nonsensical "anti-logic" invented by the University of Arkansas Athletic Department and willfully served-up by the majority of the state's media: 1) that the Razorback's have nothing to gain (which is absurd), and 2) that preventing the rivalry spares Arkansas fans the burden of dual loyalties (which is utterly ridiculous).

The first (and in this guy's opinion the only) reason why this game shouldn't happen is Reason #1 above.  UA has nothing to gain. 
If we win, we're supposed to.  No credit given. 
If we lose, we got beat by a Sun Belt team and we lose recruits to Jonesboro. 

The second reason the author gives is one I never thought of but is crap anyway.
Yes, we will lose recruits to the Sun Belt.  Just like we did when we lost to Louisiana-Monroe.  The MAC took some of our targets too.  Dang Toledo.
DIAMOND BOWL BABY!

PossumFan

I agree with everything this writer says about a REAL game between the two, but the idea of a joint spring game is pointless and, frankly, just kind of dumb.

steveaustin69

Quote from: PossumFan on January 30, 2018, 10:52:23 am
I agree with everything this writer says about a REAL game between the two, but the idea of a joint spring game is pointless and, frankly, just kind of dumb.

You agree the U of A needs to prove on a football field that they are the state's flagship university? That's all he said about a REAL game between the two. Frankly, that is just kind of dumb.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogsanity on January 30, 2018, 09:46:07 am
Well it is about once every 3 years, and there are like 9 other fbs schools in Ohio, AND the game is almost always in Columbus. OSu is not going to Kent or Akron, and it is never at a neutral site.

Plus Ohio has over three and a half times the population of Arkansas.

Hogtimes

Quote from: Stu on January 29, 2018, 12:10:56 pm
Not scared that it should happen, but from the Hogs perspective, there isn't one compelling reason to play the game.  The Hogs have absolutely no incentive to play the game. They have absolutely nothing to gain by playing them.  I'm sure someday the Wally Halls, Rick Fires, and the A-State fans of the world will get their wish.  In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter, (as one poster duly noted, it's just a game) but I'd druther not.  However, when Nebraska State plays Nebraska in football, then I'll gladly start supporting the Hogs playing A-State in football, too.

Nebraska State?  Where is that?