Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Honeymoon Help???

Started by jhog45, August 06, 2014, 10:22:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jhog45

Looking for experienced opinions. St. Lucia or Bora Bora? March or June. Can't find anything online that distinguishes one from the other. First hand accounts will be very helpful! Thanks

Ragnar Hogbrok

St Lucia is pretty cool. The Pitons are awesome. The volcanic Sulphur baths are cool. The people are very friendly. Brush up on Creole before you go to enhance the experience, but most speak English. Have one of the locals tell you about Massacre Hill. It's very sobering.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Boarcephus

Went to Bora Bora 4 years ago and it's breathtakingly beautiful.  When we go again we'll do it like we did the first time and do the Paul Gauguin Cruise.  All inclusive but can be a bit pricey.  On the downside, it's still a 3rd world country and and if poverty and starving dogs offend you, might look elsewhere.  Is a pain to get to, 9 1/2 hours out of LAX while the Caribbean is much closer. 

We've been to the Caribbean several times and it's almost like one island is about as good as the next. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

HognotinMemphis

I am very experienced. Married 28 years this month. First of all, start off sitting on a made-up bed fully clothed, then...oh, you want to know about where to go FOR a honeymoon. Sorry.

I would say Carribean over BB. Might want to take a look at Mauna Kea Beach Hotel and Resort on Big Island too. We honeymooned there and have been back 8 or 9 times since. We were there this past September. Lovely, quiet spot on a beautiful island with world class tennis and golf if either interests you.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Dr. Starcs

Piihb.

What? 

What's wrong with Partying In Indiana Hoosier Building?

ricepig

Quote from: Boarcephus on August 07, 2014, 06:09:29 am
Went to Bora Bora 4 years ago and it's breathtakingly beautiful.  When we go again we'll do it like we did the first time and do the Paul Gauguin Cruise.  All inclusive but can be a bit pricey.  On the downside, it's still a 3rd world country and and if poverty and starving dogs offend you, might look elsewhere.  Is a pain to get to, 9 1/2 hours out of LAX while the Caribbean is much closer. 

We've been to the Caribbean several times and it's almost like one island is about as good as the next. 

I went to Bora Bora 20 years ago, so my help would be outdated, but it was beautiful. I've threatened to take Paul Gauguin cruise, always get those in the mail. The Caribbean is good and we did Maui for our honeymoon 25 years ago and have been back with the kids.

Boarcephus

Quote from: ricepig on August 07, 2014, 05:51:11 pm
I went to Bora Bora 20 years ago, so my help would be outdated, but it was beautiful. I've threatened to take Paul Gauguin cruise, always get those in the mail. The Caribbean is good and we did Maui for our honeymoon 25 years ago and have been back with the kids.

We have our 35th next year and are considering doing something special and may head back to the south Pacific and do the Paul Gauguin again.  They have a similar cruise that takes in Tonga and a couple different islands and may do that one but that 9 1/2 hour flight from LAX is something we both hate and it's what makes the Caribbean so much more attractive.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Jackrabbit Hog

I think it depends on what you're really looking for.  The huge draw for Bora Bora that puts it above just about every other place in the world is the water; specifically, the lagoon.  If you love to dive, snorkel, want to swim with sharks, etc., you won't beat Bora Bora anywhere.  However, I'll agree with Boarcephus about the island itself.  It's very pretty but not just breathtaking (the VIEW of it from the surrounding motus is, but the sights on the island aren't).  Having said that, my wife and I spent 5 nights at the Intercontinental in Bora Bora and we will never take a better trip than that. 

We've done the Paul Gauguin too.  Doubt that you are really looking for a cruise for your honeymoon but it is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.  We did an 11 night cruise that went to five islands in French Polynesia (Tahiti, Bora Bora, Huahine, Tahaa and Moorea) and two in the Cook Islands (Rarotonga and Aitutaki).  Unbelievable.

The Caribbean has lots going for it, but I think it lacks the exotic atmosphere of the South Pacific.

If you'd like, I can give you some tips on places, things to do, etc., if you do decide on Bora Bora.  You can PM me.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

LSUFan

Don't get married!

Best advice you will EVER get in life. If she loves you, she don't need it in writing.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on August 07, 2014, 06:45:19 pm
The Caribbean has lots going for it, but I think it lacks the exotic atmosphere of the South Pacific.

Maybe this is what I'm trying to say, the Caribbean lacks the "exotic atmosphere" the south Pacific offers.  Don't know if it's the Mitzi Gaynor,  "South Pacific" movie or what but the Caribbean is a cheaper (perhaps less expensive is a better word) substitute.