Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Big time delays driving to the gulf coast this year

Started by Lanny, July 01, 2014, 08:13:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on July 18, 2014, 03:42:37 pm
I'm typing this as I sit in our condo at Tops'l just across 98 from Sandestin.  Great view of the ocean and the bay.

Since we started from Memphis, we went the Tupelo to Birmingham to Montgomery to Destin route.  Made it in about 7 1/2 hours.  The only part of the trip I didn't care for was the route as we neared Birmingham.  There's about a 20 mile detour off of Hwy 78 as you near the Birmingham area; then once you get to Birmingham you have about a 10 mile stretch on 2 lane with a bunch of stoplights.  Other than that stretch, it was a great route.

THAT'S NOT THE OCEAN.

Dillar Dog

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 18, 2014, 03:47:45 pm
THAT'S NOT THE OCEAN.

Okay, Freakin' Gulf of Freakin' Mexico.

It's the same freakin' salt water.

Don't you have a club to peddle or somethin'?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on July 18, 2014, 04:03:34 pm

this argument goes back a ways.

Delicious~Dreams

Dillar Dog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on July 18, 2014, 04:03:34 pm

So the Atlantic and the Pacific are the same?

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Dillar Dog on July 18, 2014, 04:35:44 pm
So the Atlantic and the Pacific are the same?

Yup.  It's all one ocean with random lines of demarcation and goofy regional names for bays and gulfs and seas and such.  Circles the globe.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

panhandlepig

Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 18, 2014, 03:47:45 pm
THAT'S NOT THE OCEAN.

THank-you kind sir. A gulf is part of the ocean but is surrounded by land, usually on three sides like the Gulf of Mexico. The next tourist who asks me how to get to the ocean, I'm going to tell them to get back on I10 and head to Daytona Beach. ;D

Hogfly

We leave in the wee hours on Sunday morning for our week long stay in Seagrove. Still looking for suggestions in avoiding the traffic from I10 to 30A. We currently head south at Defuniak Springs, but I'm open to suggestions for a quicker, less congested route.

I'm going to do the Meridian route per the suggestions of panhandle (I think it was him at least).

panhandlepig

Hogfly, I'm over here in FWB so when I go to 30-A it is on 98... 331 is still under construction and 98 is still a cluster. I even thought about you using an exit from I10 to Panama City Beach and coming in from the East but I'm sure it is just as bad.  There are no alternative routes that I know of ....depends on what time of day and which day you come in how bad it is. If you come in mid-day and it's not raining, you might be just as well to use 87 to Navarre and doing 98. You will be fine through to Destin, then just have to suck it up. I don't know how bad that 331 route is though because it's way bad in Destin..

I have a friend that does mobile computer work and it took him 3 hours to get from FWB to just past Sacred Heart Hospital on Tuesday. It was raining so everybody off the beach and on the road.

I suggested the Mid Bay, but someone said that is a cluster as well. Just know when you get to the coast, it won't be easy sailing in July. Have a safe trip and enjoy! Try to make good time on the way down and breath some salt air while you are in stop and go traffic. I will say a prayer. ;D

Hogfly

I think we will just take chances with 331.  I too thought about going further east then backtracking. We will hit it at 2pm or so. Good news is we are coming on Sunday instead of Saturday so that might help traffic some.

panhandlepig

Quote from: Hogfly on July 18, 2014, 07:10:46 pm
I think we will just take chances with 331.  I too thought about going further east then backtracking. We will hit it at 2pm or so. Good news is we are coming on Sunday instead of Saturday so that might help traffic some.

You should be fine on Sunday. Alot of traffic on week-days and even on Saturday is locals trying to get to work etc...Really hope you should have an easy trip and a great time. The weather has been great and the water fantastic. The best I've seen in July in years.

Hogfly

Quote from: panhandlepig on July 18, 2014, 07:18:20 pm
  You should be fine on Sunday. Alot of traffic on week-days and even on Saturday is locals trying to get to work etc...Really hope you should have an easy trip and a great time. The weather has been great and the water fantastic. The best I've seen in July in years.

Oh, don't worry. We're headed your way, so either the junegrass or sargassum one is bound to come in this week.

ROFL

I swear we've been cursed for the last 5 years or so.

Boarcephus

I'm typing this as I sit in our condo at Tops'l just across 98 from Sandestin.  Great view of the ocean and the bay.

Know exactly where you are.  We generally stay just west of you at Beachside II.  Eat at Stinky's if you get a chance. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

panhandlepig

Quote from: Hogfly on July 18, 2014, 07:32:08 pm
Oh, don't worry. We're headed your way, so either the junegrass or sargassum one is bound to come in this week.

ROFL

I swear we've been cursed for the last 5 years or so.

I know how you feel...we have a canoe trip on the Econfina planned on Sunday and there will probably be a monsoon...nearly got killed 2 years ago. for real. The lightening was so bad and the river rose so fast a tree nearly fell on us. It is pouring now, first significant rain we have had in a while. Supposed to rain tomorrow..hope we can have our canoe trip and you and yours have some good weather...It is July so you gotta take the good with the bad.

My favorite month is October, unless there is a Hurricane. ;D ;D

Hogfly

I'm dying to get down there in the fall and hit the redfish runs.

panhandlepig

Quote from: Hogfly on July 18, 2014, 08:15:31 pm
I'm dying to get down there in the fall and hit the redfish runs.

I wouldn't come down here for love or money in the summertime how things are now, but I know if you have kids in school there are no other options and it is still worth the trip.
I interact with visitors everyday and they are having a great time even with the traffic and crowds....The shoulder seasons..spring and fall are the best. I love winters here..nothing like walking a winter beach, may be 70 degrees or 30 degrees. Just dress in layers.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 18, 2014, 07:55:38 pm
Know exactly where you are.  We generally stay just west of you at Beachside II.  Eat at Stinky's if you get a chance.

Ate at Hammerhead's last night, just got back from Hurricane Oyster Bar tonight.  That's one thing I don't skimp on when we travel - I enjoy my good food.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on July 18, 2014, 08:51:39 pm
Ate at Hammerhead's last night, just got back from Hurricane Oyster Bar tonight.  That's one thing I don't skimp on when we travel - I enjoy my good food.

Never tried Hammerhead's but have eaten at Acme a couple times.  You're close to Ocean Club so you ought to try their 2 for 1 menu between 5-6.  Stinky's and Harbor Docks are a must for lunch.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Hoot72

Seagrove Market is a great place for lunch.  T-shirt shop, with cafe in the back -- never got anything bad from there.

Hogfly

Quote from: Hoot72 on July 18, 2014, 09:26:15 pm
Seagrove Market is a great place for lunch.  T-shirt shop, with cafe in the back -- never got anything bad from there.

Yes. Probably the first place we will eat when we pull into town. About a block from our house.

PharmacistHog

July 20, 2014, 02:53:48 pm #71 Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 04:40:14 pm by PharmacistHog
Quote from: panhandlepig on July 18, 2014, 05:03:10 pm
  THank-you kind sir. A gulf is part of the ocean but is surrounded by land, usually on three sides like the Gulf of Mexico. The next tourist who asks me how to get to the ocean, I'm going to tell them to get back on I10 and head to Daytona Beach. ;D

I would LOVE to figure out a way to hunt you down without you knowing its me and start asking you a bunch of goofy questions. Maybe even cut you off in traffic.

I'll be down tomorrow. Look for the short, fat, bald white guy with a farmers tan and lily white legs. Should be easy to spot. Im sure there are NONE of those down there.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

panhandlepig

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 20, 2014, 02:53:48 pm
I would LOVE to figure out a way to hunt you down without you knowing its me and start asking you a bunch of goofy questions. Maybe even cut you off in traffic.

I'll be down tomorrow. Look for the short, fat, bald white guy with a farmers tan and lily white legs. Should be easy to spot. Im sure there are NONE of those down there.

No, I'd think you will be the only one. I'll take extra care and won't run you over. Arkansas plates will also help you out and a hog sticker is a bonus.

Just don't go to the second sandbar and if anyone has a fishing line out pay special attention especially at dusk or dawn.. We had a guy get his ankle bit by a shark a week or so ago down by the El Matador. Have fun!

Boarcephus

Quote from: panhandlepig on July 20, 2014, 06:00:25 pm
Just don't go to the second sandbar and if anyone has a fishing line out pay special attention especially at dusk or dawn.. We had a guy get his ankle bit by a shark a week or so ago down by the El Matador. Have fun!

that second sandbar is where that little girl was killed a few years ago in front of Hidden Dunes.  25 years ago my son and I would snorkel out there and pick up huge sand dollars and literally gave it no thought.   Had a deal happen a few years after that in the same area that literally scared the crap out me.  Made a deal with God that day, he get me to the beach and I won't venture out there again.  He did his part and I upheld my end of the deal.

Jackrabbit Hog

Our daughter saw a small sand shark Friday.  She screamed and cleared the water for a good 10 minutes. 

Eating at Louis Louis tonight.  Waiting on our table as I type this.  Head back home tomorrow.

I'll miss that ocean view.

panhandlepig

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 20, 2014, 07:08:31 pm
that second sandbar is where that little girl was killed a few years ago in front of Hidden Dunes.  25 years ago my son and I would snorkel out there and pick up huge sand dollars and literally gave it no thought.   Had a deal happen a few years after that in the same area that literally scared the crap out me.  Made a deal with God that day, he get me to the beach and I won't venture out there again.  He did his part and I upheld my end of the deal.

Boar, I don't remember anyone getting killed by a shark...let alone a little girl. I do remember that boy getting his arm bit off over in Pensacola.

FWI, we used to routinely swim out to the second sandbar. Hurricane Opal changed the underwater  topography and we don't any more. Now, I am wracking my brain trying to remember a little girl getting killed.

panhandlepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on July 20, 2014, 07:11:18 pm
Our daughter saw a small sand shark Friday.  She screamed and cleared the water for a good 10 minutes. 

Eating at Louis Louis tonight.  Waiting on our table as I type this.  Head back home tomorrow.

I'll miss that ocean view.

Gulf View.

Boarcephus

Quote from: panhandlepig on July 20, 2014, 07:23:01 pm
  Boar, I don't remember anyone getting killed by a shark...let alone a little girl. I do remember that boy getting his arm bit off over in Pensacola.

FWI, we used to routinely swim out to the second sandbar. Hurricane Opal changed the underwater  topography and we don't any more. Now, I am wracking my brain trying to remember a little girl getting killed.

That's legit.  Discovery did show on it during Shark Week (called Year of the Shark, I think) several years ago and she was staying at the campground next to Hidden Dunes.  She was 14-15 years old, lived in LA and was visiting.   Happened the same time a young guy lost his arm or leg while surf fishing over towards Panama City.

panhandlepig

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 20, 2014, 07:33:35 pm
That's legit.  Discovery did show on it during Shark Week (called Year of the Shark, I think) several years ago and she was staying at the campground next to Hidden Dunes.  She was 14-15 years old, lived in LA and was visiting.   Happened the same time a young guy lost his arm or leg while surf fishing over towards Panama City.

Good Lord, it is legit. I asked my husband if he remembered that happening and he said "yes over around Mirimar Beach". I didn't believe him either so I googled it. I must have blocked that out. That happens as you get older. So, DONT GO PAST THE FIRST SANDBAR!!!!!!

Boarcephus

Quote from: panhandlepig on July 20, 2014, 07:48:23 pm
Good Lord, it is legit. I asked my husband if he remembered that happening and he said "yes over around Mirimar Beach". I didn't believe him either so I googled it. I must have blocked that out. That happens as you get older. So, DONT GO PAST THE FIRST SANDBAR!!!!!!

Well, that one hit a little close to home because we can see Hidden Dunes from where we stay and I've been out there several times.  We generally try to stay fairly high up in BS II and we've seen several big bull sharks over the years.

Hogfly

Drive down was fine. No real bad traffic.

As I predicted, the weather has gone to crap since we've arrived.

ricepig

Since we started from Memphis, we went the Tupelo to Birmingham to Montgomery to Destin route.  Made it in about 7 1/2 hours.  The only part of the trip I didn't care for was the route as we neared Birmingham.  There's about a 20 mile detour off of Hwy 78 as you near the Birmingham area; then once you get to Birmingham you have about a 10 mile stretch on 2 lane with a bunch of stoplights.  Other than that stretch, it was a great route.

Stretch through Birmingham is like driving down Lamar, just have to weather it. We go to Seaside every year and leaving from NEA always go the Birmingham route, or have the last 10 years.

oldman1015

Quote from: McKdaddy on July 06, 2014, 03:21:35 pm
Left Monticello at 7am, arrived in Perdido Key at 5pm. Terrible last 1-2 miles before the tunnel, maybe the worst I've experienced.

I'd like a Mobile tunnel workaround.
take left on schillinger rd" one light past wal mart in semnes al. right on hwy 158 at dead end . then take hwy 65 south for about a mile. exit exit on prichard rd. take a left. this will take you through ship yards to battle ship rd. you can then get back on i-10 missing all of mobile and the tunnel. did this last saturday. it works great. got it from someone who owns a condo in gulf shores. without traffic it's 10 minutes quicker.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

McKdaddy

Quote from: oldman1015 on July 22, 2014, 03:21:30 pm
take left on schillinger rd" one light past wal mart in semnes al. right on hwy 158 at dead end . then take hwy 65 south for about a mile. exit exit on prichard rd. take a left. this will take you through ship yards to battle ship rd. you can then get back on i-10 missing all of mobile and the tunnel. did this last saturday. it works great. got it from someone who owns a condo in gulf shores. without traffic it's 10 minutes quicker.

Thank you.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin