Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vacation time on 30A -- Question for arkiehawg

Started by Hoot72, May 04, 2014, 07:08:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoot72

Leaving Friday for Seagrove Beach,and have some questions.  How's the weather?  Has the flooding been as bad as it looks?  Also want your (and anyone else with information) recommendations, and remarks, about a couple of eating places that we saw on "Emerils' Florida" -- Crust and Captain Anderson (Panama Beach)?  He also visited Whiskey Bravo 723, and I was not impressed -- looked a little "upper crust" for this old country boy.

Hogfly

Whiskey Bravo is a beautiful building with horrible execution. They served me good scotch in a red solo cup when we were there. Tons of much better places to eat and drink, and we usually stay within walking distance of there but don't go.

Weather will be awesome next week evidently. We leave on Wednesday for a quick trip for a wedding. Not looking forward to the drive vs. the amount of time we will actually be there. We will do our long trip there in July

panhandlepig

The flooding was as bad as it looked for awhile for a few people over here in Ft Walton and all over the panhandle. All should be fine now...the beaches etc... 30A did have some issues with washouts but I think they should be repaired by now. I'm only basing this on what I read in the paper.

Of the three places you mentioned, I've only eaten at Captain Andersons in PC Beach years ago. It is huge and has been around forever. I'm not sure it is worth the trip unless you just want to check out Panama City Beach but someone else with more recent experience may think differently.

We took Arkiehawgs suggestion and stopped at Stinky's Fish Camp the last time we went to PCB. He was right, it was great and we will go again.

They have been repairing a section of 30A for awhile so we had to detour around but it wasn't a problem and I'm not sure if that is all fixed yet or not. The traffic shouldn't be that bad next weekend so don't worry about it.

As far as the weather, yesterday and today were great and appears it will stay that way this week. That could change at a moments notice though....but nothing you can do about that.

Hope y'all have a good time and great weather!

Hogfly

Boarcephus

We got caught in the storm and it sucked. 

Back to the food....Stinky's is a must.  Ate there 3 out of the first 4 days.  Harbor Docks in downtown Destin across from Sextons is a place you don't want to miss for lunch.  If you want a nice, sit down dinner, Ocean Club at TopSail is a nice place.  They have a 2 for 1 dinner special from 5-6 and whatever the appetizer is, get it. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Arkiehawg (kingfish0318)

Hey, sorry I just saw the post.

I have moved from Hwy 30A in Walton County to the Cape San Blas area in Gulf County.

I still do go to SoWal and Destin on a regular basis however.

Re: Food.  As mentioned above.  There is also a couple of previous threads that can be searched for more spot on food recommendations.   There is also a new restaurant at Gulf Place called Messinas.  Excellent food and a Killer Sunday Brunch.  A must do...

http://www.messinason30a.com/

Re Roads:   The storms/flooding did a big number on 30A.   Most of the water has receeded, but damaged roads everywhere.  I do know that 30A is currently closed again at Little Redfish Lake (Blue Mountain Beach area) because the road was undermined (again) and collapsed.

You can get a pretty good up to date on road conditions in the forum at www.sowal.com

Let me know if you have any other questions and feel free to PM me....

"I hope we get nuked somewhere big, and soon.  LA would be a good place, as is S.F."-  Silver (Swiss) Hog 4/6/10

Hoot72

30a is still closed in the blue mountain area, but the detour around is only about 4 miles out of the way.  Messinas is good and we went for e sunday brunch; but they had the mothers' day brunch buffet.  The food was good, and some better than good -- but I was not prepared for the $35.00 per person price.  I am glad that we went, but it will not be one of those places that we have to go again.

panhandlepig

Glad you are getting some good weather..today is great. Have y'all checked out Stinky's yet? Another Broken Egg and the the Donut Hole are always good for breakfast if one is close by. Have fun!

Hoot72

Went to Stinky's last year, and will go back later this week.  Plan on eating at the Donut Hole Wednesday morning.  Is there more than one Donut Hole in Destin?

panhandlepig

Yes or at least there used to be. There's one in Destin proper and then on Hwy 98 around the far east end of 30A.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Hoot72 on May 12, 2014, 02:41:50 pm
Went to Stinky's last year, and will go back later this week.  Plan on eating at the Donut Hole Wednesday morning.  Is there more than one Donut Hole in Destin?

Should be two of them.  One downtown Destin and the other just before you get to 30A
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Hoot72

Hogfly

We got back from our quick trip on Wednesday. Our dining:

Seagrove Village Market: excellent as always

Hurricane Oyster Bar: I've drank some beers and eaten oysters here before, but this was where the rehearsal dinner was held. As such, I got to try more on the menu. It was really good. The fish poboy with fried green tomatoes in a jalapeno batter was awesome. We will be adding this to our list of places to go.

Great Southern Cafe: it's expensive, but I've never been disappointed with a meal here. I had the Grits Yaya, which might be one of my favorite plates of food in Florida. They do need to step up their cocktail game, though. The moscow mule there was atrocious, but they do specialize in the mojito, even though the popularity of that drink has waned in recent years.

Cocoon's Deli: I ran across the street to this little gem and picked up a few lunch items. Their smoked tuna dip is fantastic and tastes different than the thousands of other smoked tuna dips available in the area (it has a mustard tang to it). We'll be picking up more items from them in the future.

All in all, this was a cool trip because it was quick and there were only five of us. As such, we ate out more in a few days than we usually do in our entire week. We hit some stalwarts, tried some new spots and discovered some new favorites.

Hoot72

Had lunch at the Village Seafood Market yesterday.  I had the grouper po' boy, and it was outstanding.  One in our group had their hamburger (they don't care for seafood), and it looked outstanding.  This is just a. Little hole in the wall joint, but for the money, it can't be beat.

Hogfly

Quote from: Hoot72 on May 13, 2014, 12:51:28 pm
Had lunch at the Village Seafood Market yesterday.  I had the grouper po' boy, and it was outstanding.  One in our group had their hamburger (they don't care for seafood), and it looked outstanding.  This is just a. Little hole in the wall joint, but for the money, it can't be beat.

They have a Mexican place called La Cocina that is supposedly excellent. It's kind of ridiculous to go to 30A to eat Mexican, but we'll probably go there when we're back again in July.

Hogfly

Oh: one place that has gone downhill (though maybe it was because we did carry out instead of dine in) is Flip Flops in Seagrove. We've usually found it to be pretty good and affordable. This time the prices were higher and food quality and portions were markedly lower.

Hoot72

Went to Stinky's tonight.  Had Stinky's stew last year, so I decided to try a "A Taste of Stinky's" this year.  I really think that I like it better, and would highy recommend it.

rcopela

Love Stinky's, I noticed there's a Acme Oyster House not far from Stinky's, anyone been there the one in Nawlin's is awesome, chargrilled oysters is some good eating

Boarcephus

Quote from: rcopela on May 14, 2014, 08:25:11 am
Love Stinky's, I noticed there's a Acme Oyster House not far from Stinky's, anyone been there the one in Nawlin's is awesome, chargrilled oysters is some good eating

Not sure they're worth $20 a dozen though.   Guess with the oysters not doing too well this year and importing them all in from LA, I was surprised to see a dozen was the same price at Stinky's as they were at Acme Oyster House, $15 a dozen.

panhandlepig

I follow the R rule with oysters even when they are cooked. I just don't think the flavor is as good when they come out of hot water.

Our local paper had an article yesterday explaining what is going  on with 30A.  Looks like there will be detours for awhile, probably years. They will be replacing culverts in several places and want to replace most with dune lake bridges to attempt to re-establish the natural balance between the mostly fresh water lakes and Gulf waters.

The EPA and Fish and Wildlife and other state and federal agencies are involved which means it will take some time. They are trying to use some BP settlement money as well. It will be a hassle, but I think it is worth it, if they get it right.

I am glad folks come and get to enjoy this area, but they really did over-build that area and development got out of hand. It  has taken its toll. To be honest, I miss it how it used to be but time marches on.

Hogfly

30A has really exploded in the last 5 years or so. In all honesty, it's getting g too crowded for us in peak season, and we are starting to look for new places to vacation. We fled Destin 10 years ago, and it seems like everyone else did too.

panhandlepig

Quote from: Hogfly on May 14, 2014, 06:57:02 pm
30A has really exploded in the last 5 years or so. In all honesty, it's getting g too crowded for us in peak season, and we are starting to look for new places to vacation. We fled Destin 10 years ago, and it seems like everyone else did too.

I've lived here in Ft Walton Beach for over 25 years and have seen the growth and over development...Destin then east to SandDestin, now 30a. I remember when you better fill up with gas before you drove to Panama City because there was nothing between.

We used to camp all along 30A  right on the beach.

Things change. Don't tell anybody but the best value now is Ft Walton Beach. We are a bunch of folks who resist change. That will change too. But if you want good beaches, less traffic and easy access to the Destin Harbor, Okaloosa Island is your best bet.  But don't tell anyone..

panhandlepig

I might as well  finish my rant. If you build it they will  come. Didn't you think to build some
better roads first? Nope, not here in the Panhandle.

It is like asking 500 hundred people to my house without thinking where the heck they are going to park their cars.

Hogfly

I can only imagine what that area was like 25 years ago. I do like that they've preserved some areas where you can still get a glimpse of the natural Florida.
Do you ever read Carl Hiassen? One of my favorite themes in his novels is old Florida vs new.

I grew up 40 years ago spending a month at a time down in Ft. Morgan when there wasn't anything out there. Hurricane Francis came along and wiped out our beach house and the family sold. Talk about hindsight being 20/20.

MJ2

Quote from: panhandlepig on May 14, 2014, 07:31:44 pm
   I've lived here in Ft Walton Beach for over 25 years and have seen the growth and over development...Destin then east to SandDestin, now 30a. I remember when you better fill up with gas before you drove to Panama City because there was nothing between.

We used to camp all along 30A  right on the beach.

Things change. Don't tell anybody but the best value now is Ft Walton Beach. We are a bunch of folks who resist change. That will change too. But if you want good beaches, less traffic and easy access to the Destin Harbor, Okaloosa Island is your best bet.  But don't tell anyone..

Yep, used to be nothing but pine trees between Ft Walton and Panama City.   I think everyone else now knows what we all knew 50 years ago - greatest beaches on earth!

Arkiehawg (kingfish0318)

Quote from: Boarcephus on May 12, 2014, 03:24:26 pm

Should be two of them.  One downtown Destin and the other just before you get to 30A

There is a third one now.  On Hwy 98 at the intersection of the east end of 30A just before you get to the Lake Powell bridge going to PCB.
"I hope we get nuked somewhere big, and soon.  LA would be a good place, as is S.F."-  Silver (Swiss) Hog 4/6/10

Arkiehawg (kingfish0318)

Quote from: Hogfly on May 14, 2014, 06:57:02 pm

I lived on 30A (Blue Mountain Beach) for 11 years and saw first hand how the greed of money has created a mini South Beach in the area.  Putting Condo's with 650 units in a section of beach that use to have a dozen single family dwellings was insane.  The beach isn't wide enough to handle that kind of influx. 

Enough of my soap box.   That is why we left and moved to Cape San Blas.  If you are looking for a quiet area with beaches that aren't crowded....check out the Forgotten Coast.  Cape San Blas and St. George Island are very nice.    BTW...I was pleasantly surprised with the food in Port St. Joe and Apalachicola.  They can rival the quality that you will find on 30A and you will not find better quality oysters.

woodrow hog call

We are heading to Saint George Island later this summer, first trip there.
Can we do all of our eating and shopping on the island, reasonably, or is there not enough selection there? We are staying a week, probably eat at the house a few evenings.

We wanted to stay on the cape, but couldn't find a house that worked for us.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Hogfly

Quote from: woodrow hog call on May 15, 2014, 08:26:30 am
Can we do all of our eating and shopping on the island, reasonably, or is there not enough selection there? We are staying a week, probably eat at the house a few evenings.

I'll be really curious to hear about your experience of St. George Island. That's one of the places we're really pushing the rest of the family to try out.

Arkiehawg (kingfish0318)

Quote from: woodrow hog call on May 15, 2014, 08:26:30 am

I believe that SGI only has one restaurant and a couple of bar/grills.   It's only a 10-15 min. drive into Apalach where you will find excellent food.  Send me a PM when you get closer and I'll give you a list of good restaurants.

re: shopping.  Not much on SGI...basically tourist trap gift shops.  Again, Apalach has several shops, antique stores, art galleries, etc.  If you're looking for an outlet mall like Destin or a Pier Park like PCB....you'll be disappointed.  These are all mom/pops but good quality and good shopping.

woodrow hog call

Thanks will do, we prefer the mom an pop type or antique shops over the outlet mall stuff. Wasn't sure if it was a big hassle to go back an forth from SGI or not.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Hoot72

Had supper tonight at "Shades of the Loop".  Really good fried grouper, and the selection was really varied.  It was at the east end of 30A, at the intersection with 98.  Reasonably priced in my opinion.

panhandlepig

Glad to hear y'all are having a good time and the good food just makes it better. The weather today was great.

I'm as much a tourist as anyone when it comes to 30A and much of the area. Things have changed so fast there is no way to keep up... When you live here you live and work here and don't always know what is going on while you do... I'm always glad to hear comments and suggestions from visitors so I will have an informed opinion when folks ask me my opinion.

Hammibal Lecter

The Perfect Pig in Seagrove is great. Killer Seafood in Mexico Beach is also good but it's closer to cape San blas/port st joe
Quote from: Breems on January 14, 2014, 10:53:08 pm
I PEED. I PEED. MY PANTS HAVE PEE PEE.