Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Baker kicking off?

Started by Danny J, September 12, 2016, 04:35:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny J

During the post game presser CBB mentioned it...I am sure it was just an emotional response to how well Baker punted although I wonder if it might be something they try?

He has a powerful leg for sure.

Me Like Hogs

I've thought this same thing before. He does have a strong leg. I wonder if he has kicked off of a tee before? I say its worth a try if we want the ball in the end zone.

IronMountainHog

Give him a chance because the other 2 they have tried can't get the job done. Also that was a brilliant idea after we tied it 28-28 to kick it directly to Turpin. Can't believe the kicker was dumb enough to do it or a coach was dumb enough not to point it out.

Paul

I'd take a 50 yd punt on kickoffs.  Am I right to think that it would be like a on sides kick & the returners couldn't call for a fair catch? 

Bigmac2

Fan1958

Quote from: Paul on September 12, 2016, 04:54:18 pm
I'd take a 50 yd punt on kickoffs.  Am I right to think that it would be like a on sides kick & the returners couldn't call for a fair catch?

A returner can fair catch a kickoff or a kick from a tee.
Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

I like smites.  That's how I know I'm really pissing off the "Progressives".

Paul

Quote from: Fan1958 on September 12, 2016, 05:09:26 pm
A returner can fair catch a kickoff or a kick from a tee.
I'm sure your're right but why can't a team fair catch an on sides kick?

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: Paul on September 12, 2016, 05:12:01 pm
I'm sure your're right but why can't a team fair catch an on sides kick?

Because the guy fielding it doesn't want to get killed?
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Hawgar The Horrible

Honestly, onside kicks hit the ground first by design. That is what makes them a live ball free for the taking. The same reason regular kick offs have to be fielded after touching the ground.

Paul

Okay, then a 50 yard punt from the 35 would be fair caught or returned from inside the 10 since punts are measured from the line of scrimmage & not from where the ball is struck by the punter.  With Baker's hang time, we'd be able to cover much better.  Let's try it.  What do we have to lose?

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: Paul on September 12, 2016, 05:36:00 pm
Okay, then a 50 yard punt from the 35 would be fair caught or returned from inside the 10 since punts are measured from the line of scrimmage & not from where the ball is struck by the punter.  With Baker's hang time, we'd be able to cover much better.  Let's try it.  What do we have to lose?

I hinted at trying that very thing earlier in the Depth Chart thread.

Paul

hawgfan4life

Quote from: Paul on September 12, 2016, 04:54:18 pm
To bad that isn't legal.

TheEnemy

Quote from: Paul on September 12, 2016, 05:36:00 pm

You are not allowed to punt Kick-offs.

You can after a safety because you get a "free kick" after the safety.  Free Kick meaning its the kicking team's choice how they kick it.

Talon

Quote from: Me Like Hogs on September 12, 2016, 04:39:23 pm
I've thought this same thing before. He does have a strong leg. I wonder if he has kicked off of a tee before? I say its worth a try if we want the ball in the end zone.

Does a kickoff have to be off of a tee?

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: TheEnemy on September 12, 2016, 07:10:20 pm
You are not allowed to punt Kick-offs.

You can after a safety because you get a "free kick" after the safety.  Free Kick meaning its the kicking team's choice how they kick it.

I knew punting it sounded too good to be true.

Grumpypenguin

Quote from: Talon on September 12, 2016, 07:31:30 pm

Nah you can drop kick also

The Boar War

Quote from: Talon on September 12, 2016, 07:31:30 pm

I've seen players hold it during windy conditions.  Of course that basically takes a tackler out of the play.