Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What does it take to put away a game?

Started by Biggus Piggus, September 12, 2016, 10:07:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 08, 2016, 09:01:38 am
If Arkansas can win the toss, score and get a lead, force a punt/TO, and score again, the game will be in reach. But then it would become a game of counterpunching.

Went EXACTLY as I foretold, right? LOL.

Arkansas took the opening kickoff, drove to the TCU 20, and kicked a field goal. TCU moved 71 yards in 10 plays, but was "assisted" in fumbling away the football. The Hogs got one first down and punted. The Frogs went three and out. Arkansas spent 13 plays to get another field goal. Brooks Ellis returned an interception for a touchdown.

Two-score lead, just as I laid it out.

*insert eye-roll emoticon here*

It was the right formula. Score, kick off, make them work the long field, put them in position to make a big mistake.

TCU went on to punt two more times and have another possession die near midfield at the end of the first half. When the Hogs got the football back, they gained 12 yards on 10 plays. Sputtered on offense, but the defense protected the lead.

In the first half, the Hornytoads had two possessions that threatened to score. That is all.

I was very surprised at 1) how long Arkansas shut down the TCU scoring machine (until the fourth quarter), and 2) that TCU's defense did not wilt after its offense had five punts and two turnovers.

When facing a spread passing offense, what does it take to put away a game? As always - you gotta keep scoring. That is what Arkansas did not do.

The Razorback defense had been on the field for 40 plays by halftime. It was not done yet. TCU came out and drove 80 yards for a score to begin the second half, but the Hogs forced the Frogs to punt twice in the third quarter.

As late as 11:30 in the fourth quarter, Arkansas's defense had been on the field for 61 plays and had allowed 7 points. It's kinda amazing that a team could have so little success for so long, but then score three touchdowns and undo all that good defense.

THE GAME SEEMED, FOR SO LONG, LIKE IT WAS GOING IN A DIFFERENT DIRECTION.

Take, for example, what happened after TCU finally got on the scoreboard. The Frogs forced a three-and-out, and Toby Baker punted them back to their 11. TCU got one first down, but three more passes gained but 4 yards, and the punt set up Arkansas at its 37.

Austin Allen found Drew Morgan on the boundary for 24 yards. Rawleigh Williams pounded for 2, and Keon Hatcher was called for pushing, negating a 25-yard gain. No matter, next play Allen hit Jeremy Sprinkle on the other side for 25 yards. Williams burst through for 12 yards. False start, Williams gained it back with a 7-yard thrust. Allen found Morgan schooling TCU's best corner in the end zone.

Boom, 20-7.

At this point, the Frogs seemed to be in a panic, trying to pass on every down. On a third and 3 near midfield, McTelvin Agim destroyed the right guard and smashed Hill for an 8-yard sack.

The Hogs took possession at the TCU 49 after an out-of-bounds hit penalty on the Frogs. Seemed like the home team was self-destructing.

Arkansas mostly ran the ball. With third and 5 at the TCU 24, the Porkers took a timeout and came back with a 22-yard gainer from Williams. First down at the 2, Arkansas took another timeout. Why is unclear. The Frogs regrouped, and linebacker Sammy Douglas blitzed to catch Williams for a 4-yard loss. The next two plays did little, Cole Hedlund doinked a kick off the right goal post, and ...

The whole friggin' game turned.

WHAT CHANGED?

Two things changed. TCU targeted slot receiver KaVontae Turpin, the incredibly fast little receiver from Monroe, La., up the middle of the field. And the Frogs began running when Arkansas was playing pass.

Before the fourth quarter, Turpin had three catches for measly yards. All his previous efforts had been short throws to the flanks, which Arkansas covered well. When Turpin finally went up the middle, all hell broke loose.

After two good rushing gains by TCU, Turpin got wide open down the middle and gained 57 yards on a Kenny Hill pass. First down at the Arkansas 15, the Hogs were wary of the pass, and running back Derrick Green went 15 yards up the gut. Hill ran it in from the 1 with ease.

Turpin gained 34 yards on a punt return when he should have been down after a short return. On the very next play, he caught a 43-yard pass. Kyle Hicks ran free 7 yards for the tying score.

Arkansas only returned the kickoff 19 yards and lost half of that to a personal foul penalty. Three and out, punt to midfield. Hill completed a 16-yarder to possession receiver Ty Slanina to convert a third and 7. TCU ran the ball three times in a row and scored again, prompting Hill's idiotic throat-slash.

One thing needed for putting away a good spread passing team = competent special teams. It seems like all spread teams use their speedy little guys to return kicks and punts, too.

Allen led a marvelous drive to tie the score at 28-all. Passes of 6 and 24 yards, Allen to Morgan. False start, no biggie. Allen to Jared Cornelius for 17. Allen to Hatcher for 16, touchdown. Wacky-marvelous Allen to Morgan to Hatcher to Allen 2-point conversion, tie game.

Beautiful, until the kickoff.

The subsequent kickoff traveled a flat 56 yards, and Turpin returned it 64.

TCU was set up to score another touchdown. Emanuel Porter was flagged for running out of bounds before catching a 27-yard touchdown pass, or it would have happened on first down.

Hill ran for 4 and 12 yards on the next two plays, reaching the 11. By this point, though, the clock was an issue. Inside 30 seconds, TCU could not risk another rush. The Frogs ran two more pass plays, both incomplete, before setting up the 28-yard field goal attempt.

That one great special teams play by the Razorbacks partly made up for all the previous blunders. How often do you see a 28-yard field goal blocked? From that range, the kicker is going more for height than distance. Arkansas destroyed the TCU line on that play, pushing them back and getting ideal position for the block. Dan Skipper got it, but two other players were in position to block the kick too.

In overtime, Arkansas got back its mojo.

Some big balls going on there. Try this. TCU won the toss and, as is customary in OT, chose to defend. Williams made 6 on first down. Allen tried to hit Sprinkle on second down, but it was broken up. What to do on third an 4? Not play it safe. Go right back to Sprinkle down the right side, 19-yard touchdown. Miss that, the Hogs probably settle for 3 points (not a sure thing either).

Throwing a 19-yard touchdown on third and 4 in overtime = gigantic cajones.

Arkansas had the Frogs in a tough position, third and 12 at the 13, but Hill found Taj Williams for the touchdown. Still, already TCU was finding it harder to move the ball.

Alternating possession, the Frogs opened the second overtime with the football. Hill tried a quick out to Deante Gray on the sideline, but Ryan Pulley limited him to 4 yards. Running back Kyle Hicks gained just a yard on an inside run, which left third down and 5. Hill tried to force the ball to Turpin, who was covered, incomplete. Fatally, TCU had to settle for a field goal.

Arkansas's final possession was highly charged. All the Razorbacks needed was the end zone, and it would be over. All the previous ups and downs did not matter.

Dominique Reed, largely MIA season to date, took that "obvious end around" thing and went 15 yards. First and goal at the 10, Williams got a hard-won yard on an inside run. Allen passed to redshirt freshman tight end Austin Cantrell for 4 yards. Third and goal at the 5.

You're thinking pass, right?

From the moment Allen caught the shotgun snap, it was clearly a QB run. Allen ran sideways at the 10, waiting for the blocking to develop. Colton Jackson and Austin Cantrell screened off the defensive end, and Allen turned north. He ran quickly past two defenders, was met at the 3-yard line, turned sideways and slid past a would-be tackler.

Briefly, Allen's feet left the ground. He was propelled forward by the push of Frank Ragnow, with a TCU defender beneath him. Two Frog defensive backs met Allen at the goal line, but he regained his feet and plowed forward, with Ragnow still pushing. Allen was well into the end zone before the Frogs realized their efforts were futile.

Winning this football game does not solve all the problems that emerged, but far more was gained. A road win over a ranked, nonconference opponent is highly valuable in postseason contention.  More important, Arkansas got to see how its plan to stop a spread passing offense would work. The Hogs had the valuable experience of seeing how TCU would adjust on both sides of the football.

This experience -- the whole of it -- could position the Razorbacks to finish off the Texas Aggies after two years of bitter frustration. This game should help the Hogs in many ways. The offense found its identity, and the defense got a lot closer to finding the perfect anti-spread formula (which, as it turns out, isn't entirely up to the defense).
[CENSORED]!

LZH

Atlhogfan1

IMO, Enos needs to take that mindset of what they do in OT or with the 2pt conversion in the red zone to when they have a team down and a TD goes a long way to sealing a victory.  We know TCU's defensive m.o.  Patterson was going to be aggressive on that first and goal after the mysterious timeout.  AA played a fantastic game.  But you can't expect a qb in his 2nd start to recognize those things and he probably wasn't given check off power down there in that situation anyway.  And Patterson knew we wouldn't burn our last timeout having just used two.  Just bad football.  A bootleg or something against that aggression would have been a smart yet still safe play.  Frustrating red zone play calling as was the 2nd and goal call in the first half.

Would love to know why the timeout on 1st and goal was used.  Wrong personnel, would have been a sub penalty, too slow getting the play in,...?  Sorry if already been explained. 

Also need to note a comment I made about Skipper in the GT.  Rewatched the end of the game yesterday.  In the first half, he got embarrassed on a speed rush and some of us noted it in the GT.  What we didn't comment on was when late in the game in a similar situation, he got back and stuffed the same pass rush attempt.  Hopefully when NFL teams watch his tape, they'll note the good that offset the bad and how quickly he got back in position in the second half.  At 6-10, this was a tough matchup for him with the threat of TCU's speed getting under and around him in passing situations.  The oline gave up just 1 sack.  They did a good job in addition to the Hogs staying patient with the run and being effective.  TCU limited the Hogs due to the second level speed.  Some of us during the game were critical of the oline.  But considering the matchup, they did pretty well in only their second game together against an aggressive, undersized defense. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Biggus Piggus

Doesn't appear that the media got around to asking the timeout question after the game. Too much good to report.
[CENSORED]!

J2theA

What an incredible post. Well done, BP. Nice read.

I was there (I live a few miles from TCU) and it was electric in section 228. I'll never forget this one. #NeverYield

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 12, 2016, 10:18:56 am
Doesn't appear that the media got around to asking the timeout question after the game. Too much good to report.

Bielema still do a coach's show?  Thought he might comment on it there.  The sideline called it, didn't they?  I'm guessing play clock.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Biggus Piggus

Looking at videos over and over -

The LB on the side where Allen ran, Ty Summers (6-2, 235 so) overran the play. When Allen darted toward the end zone, Summers was going the wrong way, and Allen went right past him.

The best LB for the Frogs, Travin Howard (6-1, 210 jr), arrived very late and was never a factor. Same with LB Sammy Douglas (6-3, 215 jr).

One of the safeties was first to meet Allen, at the 3-yard line, but Allen turned and shed him. That one play right there was impressive.

So many players had been blocked, the rest of the pursuit arrived too late, even though Allen had been slowed at the 3.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Remember when Arkansas ran some uptempo, hurry-up stuff last season? I would like to see them do that after a good running play.
[CENSORED]!

tampahog

similar to past couple of years, very worried about our ability to get 3 yards on the ground when we really need it. 

For the Texas State game, I suggest we intentionally stall every other drive around their 25 so our field goal unit can get in some work (which will hopefully lead to more practice defending kickoffs as well)

J2theA

I know there are a lot of uncalled holds but it really seems like TCU was blatantly holding very often. Anyone else see this?

sowmonella

Great post Biggus. Copy, paste, print and frame for the Hogville Museum archives. :razorback:
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

hogsanity

Quote from: J2theA on September 12, 2016, 10:35:23 am
I know there are a lot of uncalled holds but it really seems like TCU was blatantly holding very often. Anyone else see this?

Turning defenders and clutching inside the shoulders has become pretty much allowed now. IF holding was called by the book there would be a flag just about every play.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: tampahog on September 12, 2016, 10:33:15 am
similar to past couple of years, very worried about our ability to get 3 yards on the ground when we really need it. 

For the Texas State game, I suggest we intentionally stall every other drive around their 25 so our field goal unit can get in some work (which will hopefully lead to more practice defending kickoffs as well)

My biggest concern is still the middle of the field on defense. They seem to be a little better this year, but that is still where I would go with the ball.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DeltaBoy

Thanks a ton.  Great win and a coming out party for Austin.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Boarmonger

Great post.  Better analysis than most game stories.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: tampahog on September 12, 2016, 10:33:15 am

We have had some successful runs in critical situations.  They have been outside the tackles though.  Counter toss or the run Rawleigh made Sat night that should have all but put the game away.  It is tough to run between the tackles against more than you can block and defenses sell out to stop us between the tackles in those situations.  Should take as somewhat flattering they respect our line and running game so much they have to do so. 

While we are it, I hope to see AA get quicker on his play action drop.  The action to the back is nice and everything to affect the eyes of the defense but it seems to take a while and limits his progression time. 

ricepig

Ebola would be so proud of this.......in other words.......

Wisco Pig

Completely agree that the TCU win is a template and confidence boost for finally beating A&M.

OneLardAlmighty

As was the case early of last season, our red zone offense leaves a lot to be desired.  Three trips against TCU yielded 6 points.  Plus throw in the turnover close to the end zone last week against LATech and that's four trips in two games with very little point production. Bielema's teams seem to improve in this category as the season wears on.  If we can turn that around and being to approach the red zone efficiency of last year's team in the second half of the season, this team can do some real damage.  And you have to think that at some point Reed will re-emerge to give us some kind of scoring threat from beyond the 20. 

hoghearted

It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

hamARchy in the USA

Staying focused is probably the biggest factor in putting a game away.  The mental aspect.

The Hogs clearly came out flat to start the third qtr.  The defense was milling around on the field, not getting aligned, and TCU went right down the field and scored.  That letdown and subsequent score breathed life into the Frogs.  The Hogs scored to squelch TCU's momentum but when the Hogs failed to score after a third and goal at the 2 TCU caught fire and Arkansas was on its heels.  The team needs to learn to bring the hammer.  Hopefully, that's a lesson they'll pick up from these experiences.  Play all out from start to finish.

HawgTide

Quote from: hogsanity on September 12, 2016, 10:38:40 am
Turning defenders and clutching inside the shoulders has become pretty much allowed now. IF holding was called by the book there would be a flag just about every play.

What about the choke hold? Multiple times the tackles for TCU had their chicken wing around the neck of our defensive ends.

JIHawg

Biggus-this is and will be the best synopsis of the game written by anybody.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on September 12, 2016, 10:38:40 am

My complaint about this was on the outside with the TCU wr's.  They did a good job for the most part of keeping their hands inside.  But when our DBs tried to disengage, the holding continued to the point our DBs were spun in some instances.  That makes TCU and Hill very difficult to defend on the edges. 

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: HawgTide on September 12, 2016, 10:58:25 am
What about the choke hold? Multiple times the tackles for TCU had their chicken wing around the neck of our defensive ends.

I look to The Great Gary Patterson's press conference for the answer:

"Great players make great plays."

But he didn't finish it obviously, so let me try:

"Great players make great plays until the referees throw their flag."

They didn't call holding on TCUs wrap-up fistful-of-jersey "blocks". But did call them for a couple of chop blocks and of course the PF on "Trill" (so glad he came back on the field in full personality) and the illegal touching (he laid one foot out of bounds and it was in front of their bench, so that was a small miracle).

This is my non-signature signature.

EastexHawg

What it took to put away the game was first and foremost a TCU coach who blew his own chance to ice it.

TCU had the ball with something like a third and one on or around the Arkansas five yard line.  2:00 to go in the game, TCU up 21-20, Arkansas with one timeout remaining.  IF instead of scoring a TD Patterson had had Kenny Hill (or whoever was going to run the ball) fall down on the two or three yard line TCU could have taken a knee three times and run out the clock.

In that situation scoring a TD to go up eight...still a one score game...was the only way TCU could give Arkansas a chance to win the game.

If I'm sitting on my couch watching and I know that before it happens, why can't a coach who is being paid millions figure it out?

I don't know if anyone else, including media, has brought this up because I have been out of the loop pretty much since the game ended, but TCU threw away a 100% certain win.

The Kig

Still can't figure out for the life of me WHY we kicked or punted directly to Turpin.  Would have been less costly to sail it out of bounds and take the penalty.  The entire goal at that point in the game was field position.  Don't give them a short field...

Funny- when I saw you post that original post I was thinking, "well duh, Captain Obvious.  Sounds easy, but no way we keep them from scoring early".  The game was ours, but our Defense got tired.  Not sure how much of that was the humidity/heat (wouldn't think so, since same conditions through camp) vs. how much of it was just wearing down.  We had several players cramp up and Ellis had to go for an IV, but didn't see their players do the same.
Poker Porker

The Kig

Quote from: OneLardAlmighty on September 12, 2016, 10:49:31 am
As was the case early of last season, our red zone offense leaves a lot to be desired.  Three trips against TCU yielded 6 points.  Plus throw in the turnover close to the end zone last week against LATech and that's four trips in two games with very little point production. Bielema's teams seem to improve in this category as the season wears on.  If we can turn that around and being to approach the red zone efficiency of last year's team in the second half of the season, this team can do some real damage.  And you have to think that at some point Reed will re-emerge to give us some kind of scoring threat from beyond the 20. 

I think Sprinkle is such a mismatch for anyone that he is going to be up against that I would just run a clear out to one side and have him one-on-one (even 1v2) and throw it up.  He is going to come down with a high percentage of those throws and they are low risk because AA can throw it high enough that if he doesn't catch it, nobody else does.
Poker Porker

Biggus Piggus

Just found another video view of Allen's run. LB Sammy Douglas met Allen at the 3-yard line, but CB Jeff Gladney, trying to make a play on Allen, ran into Douglas and redirected his momentum. That allowed Allen to slide past both of them. When Allen reached the end zone, Gladney was lying on top of Douglas on the ground. Pretty funny.
[CENSORED]!

orvillesghost

As the play unfolded live I thought sure that AA was going to be stopped on the two..I figured we were going for the win on fourth down and that was one reason they had called a running play.

Atlhogfan1

I'm just happy he got in.  Otherwise, we had set up Hedlund again on a bad angle. 

Ironhawg

Good analysis.  Very enjoyable reading.

niels_boar

Did we change defensive alignment in the fourth quarter?  On one TCU drive I looked at the screen, and we had all the DLineman outside the offensive guards.  The only player in camera view in the middle of the field was a lonely Ellis about four yards off the ball.  TCU gashed us with a run up the middle, a QB draw, and a throw to the slot on a shallow slant route. Possibly we had been in that formation a lot, but I didn't notice until the game started going south.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 12, 2016, 10:07:12 am
Went EXACTLY as I foretold, right? LOL.

Arkansas took the opening kickoff, drove to the TCU 20, and kicked a field goal. TCU moved 71 yards in 10 plays, but was "assisted" in fumbling away the football. The Hogs got one first down and punted. The Frogs went three and out. Arkansas spent 13 plays to get another field goal. Brooks Ellis returned an interception for a touchdown.

Two-score lead, just as I laid it out.

*insert eye-roll emoticon here*

It was the right formula. Score, kick off, make them work the long field, put them in position to make a big mistake.

TCU went on to punt two more times and have another possession die near midfield at the end of the first half. When the Hogs got the football back, they gained 12 yards on 10 plays. Sputtered on offense, but the defense protected the lead.

In the first half, the Hornytoads had two possessions that threatened to score. That is all.

I was very surprised at 1) how long Arkansas shut down the TCU scoring machine (until the fourth quarter), and 2) that TCU's defense did not wilt after its offense had five punts and two turnovers.

When facing a spread passing offense, what does it take to put away a game? As always - you gotta keep scoring. That is what Arkansas did not do.

The Razorback defense had been on the field for 40 plays by halftime. It was not done yet. TCU came out and drove 80 yards for a score to begin the second half, but the Hogs forced the Frogs to punt twice in the third quarter.

As late as 11:30 in the fourth quarter, Arkansas's defense had been on the field for 61 plays and had allowed 7 points. It's kinda amazing that a team could have so little success for so long, but then score three touchdowns and undo all that good defense.

THE GAME SEEMED, FOR SO LONG, LIKE IT WAS GOING IN A DIFFERENT DIRECTION.

Take, for example, what happened after TCU finally got on the scoreboard. The Frogs forced a three-and-out, and Toby Baker punted them back to their 11. TCU got one first down, but three more passes gained but 4 yards, and the punt set up Arkansas at its 37.

Austin Allen found Drew Morgan on the boundary for 24 yards. Rawleigh Williams pounded for 2, and Keon Hatcher was called for pushing, negating a 25-yard gain. No matter, next play Allen hit Jeremy Sprinkle on the other side for 25 yards. Williams burst through for 12 yards. False start, Williams gained it back with a 7-yard thrust. Allen found Morgan schooling TCU's best corner in the end zone.

Boom, 20-7.

At this point, the Frogs seemed to be in a panic, trying to pass on every down. On a third and 3 near midfield, McTelvin Agim destroyed the right guard and smashed Hill for an 8-yard sack.

The Hogs took possession at the TCU 49 after an out-of-bounds hit penalty on the Frogs. Seemed like the home team was self-destructing.

Arkansas mostly ran the ball. With third and 5 at the TCU 24, the Porkers took a timeout and came back with a 22-yard gainer from Williams. First down at the 2, Arkansas took another timeout. Why is unclear. The Frogs regrouped, and linebacker Sammy Douglas blitzed to catch Williams for a 4-yard loss. The next two plays did little, Cole Hedlund doinked a kick off the right goal post, and ...

The whole friggin' game turned.

WHAT CHANGED?

Two things changed. TCU targeted slot receiver KaVontae Turpin, the incredibly fast little receiver from Monroe, La., up the middle of the field. And the Frogs began running when Arkansas was playing pass.

Before the fourth quarter, Turpin had three catches for measly yards. All his previous efforts had been short throws to the flanks, which Arkansas covered well. When Turpin finally went up the middle, all hell broke loose.

After two good rushing gains by TCU, Turpin got wide open down the middle and gained 57 yards on a Kenny Hill pass. First down at the Arkansas 15, the Hogs were wary of the pass, and running back Derrick Green went 15 yards up the gut. Hill ran it in from the 1 with ease.

Turpin gained 34 yards on a punt return when he should have been down after a short return. On the very next play, he caught a 43-yard pass. Kyle Hicks ran free 7 yards for the tying score.

Arkansas only returned the kickoff 19 yards and lost half of that to a personal foul penalty. Three and out, punt to midfield. Hill completed a 16-yarder to possession receiver Ty Slanina to convert a third and 7. TCU ran the ball three times in a row and scored again, prompting Hill's idiotic throat-slash.

One thing needed for putting away a good spread passing team = competent special teams. It seems like all spread teams use their speedy little guys to return kicks and punts, too.

Allen led a marvelous drive to tie the score at 28-all. Passes of 6 and 24 yards, Allen to Morgan. False start, no biggie. Allen to Jared Cornelius for 17. Allen to Hatcher for 16, touchdown. Wacky-marvelous Allen to Morgan to Hatcher to Allen 2-point conversion, tie game.

Beautiful, until the kickoff.

The subsequent kickoff traveled a flat 56 yards, and Turpin returned it 64.

TCU was set up to score another touchdown. Emanuel Porter was flagged for running out of bounds before catching a 27-yard touchdown pass, or it would have happened on first down.

Hill ran for 4 and 12 yards on the next two plays, reaching the 11. By this point, though, the clock was an issue. Inside 30 seconds, TCU could not risk another rush. The Frogs ran two more pass plays, both incomplete, before setting up the 28-yard field goal attempt.

That one great special teams play by the Razorbacks partly made up for all the previous blunders. How often do you see a 28-yard field goal blocked? From that range, the kicker is going more for height than distance. Arkansas destroyed the TCU line on that play, pushing them back and getting ideal position for the block. Dan Skipper got it, but two other players were in position to block the kick too.

In overtime, Arkansas got back its mojo.

Some big balls going on there. Try this. TCU won the toss and, as is customary in OT, chose to defend. Williams made 6 on first down. Allen tried to hit Sprinkle on second down, but it was broken up. What to do on third an 4? Not play it safe. Go right back to Sprinkle down the right side, 19-yard touchdown. Miss that, the Hogs probably settle for 3 points (not a sure thing either).

Throwing a 19-yard touchdown on third and 4 in overtime = gigantic cajones.

Arkansas had the Frogs in a tough position, third and 12 at the 13, but Hill found Taj Williams for the touchdown. Still, already TCU was finding it harder to move the ball.

Alternating possession, the Frogs opened the second overtime with the football. Hill tried a quick out to Deante Gray on the sideline, but Ryan Pulley limited him to 4 yards. Running back Kyle Hicks gained just a yard on an inside run, which left third down and 5. Hill tried to force the ball to Turpin, who was covered, incomplete. Fatally, TCU had to settle for a field goal.

Arkansas's final possession was highly charged. All the Razorbacks needed was the end zone, and it would be over. All the previous ups and downs did not matter.

Dominique Reed, largely MIA season to date, took that "obvious end around" thing and went 15 yards. First and goal at the 10, Williams got a hard-won yard on an inside run. Allen passed to redshirt freshman tight end Austin Cantrell for 4 yards. Third and goal at the 5.

You're thinking pass, right?

From the moment Allen caught the shotgun snap, it was clearly a QB run. Allen ran sideways at the 10, waiting for the blocking to develop. Colton Jackson and Austin Cantrell screened off the defensive end, and Allen turned north. He ran quickly past two defenders, was met at the 3-yard line, turned sideways and slid past a would-be tackler.

Briefly, Allen's feet left the ground. He was propelled forward by the push of Frank Ragnow, with a TCU defender beneath him. Two Frog defensive backs met Allen at the goal line, but he regained his feet and plowed forward, with Ragnow still pushing. Allen was well into the end zone before the Frogs realized their efforts were futile.

Winning this football game does not solve all the problems that emerged, but far more was gained. A road win over a ranked, nonconference opponent is highly valuable in postseason contention.  More important, Arkansas got to see how its plan to stop a spread passing offense would work. The Hogs had the valuable experience of seeing how TCU would adjust on both sides of the football.

This experience -- the whole of it -- could position the Razorbacks to finish off the Texas Aggies after two years of bitter frustration. This game should help the Hogs in many ways. The offense found its identity, and the defense got a lot closer to finding the perfect anti-spread formula (which, as it turns out, isn't entirely up to the defense).
This game gave writers so much to talk about that I knew you'd have a marvelous piece; you did not disappoint, Sir.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Oklahawg

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ballz2thewall

the hogs are a 31 point team. if roughly 150 of our offense is on the ground and we score 31 points, we should win the game.
The rest of the frog.