Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Longview football and Fred Talley

Started by porknbeans, September 11, 2016, 10:03:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

porknbeans

From today's Dallas Morning News, sports section, page 2.

Heartwarming story of Jeremy Cothem, a young journalist, writing a book about the history of Longview Lobos football team, which is where Hog standout Fred Talley played. Jeremy was inspired to write the book when he was diagnosed with cancer, and his dying wish to his journalism professor was "Don't let my book die."

Talley quotes from the article.

"From the birth of a 100-year rivalry with Marshall to the 1937 state title to his all-time favorite Lobo, running back Fred Talley, Cotham planned to cover it all."

"Yet there it is on the cover of Friday Night Howl: The History of Longview High School Football. Between pictures of the '37 state trophy and Fred Talley, it reads, 'By Jeremy Cotham'"

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/high-schools/2016/09/10/familys-work-final-gift-longview-hs-football-chronicler

Never wrestle with a Hog - you get dirty and the Hog likes it

TXHog5

Great story. I lived in Longview for 6 years before I moved to DFW (McKinney). Still go to Longview multiple times a year to visit family. I'll have to forward this story to my dad and uncle who played football for Longview in the 80's and my grandparents who have had season tickets to the Lobos for 50 years.

texhog22

Neat! I live in Longview. Great town! If you can remember there was another Longview Running back who played a good bit for Arkansas in the late 80's. Joe Johnson. Seems like he played with James Rouse etc.

songofthesword

This just in.. Talley just scored another touchdown against auburn

Dominicanhog

Quote from: texhog22 on September 12, 2016, 11:04:55 pm
Neat! I live in Longview. Great town! If you can remember there was another Longview Running back who played a good bit for Arkansas in the late 80's. Joe Johnson. Seems like he played with James Rouse etc.

I remember Joe... I know Rouse was a Street and Smith AA, which was the gold standard in those days but JJ was a big time get as well, if I remember correctly...

DeltaBoy

Fred Tally was a good one.  Glad that guy wrote the book.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.