Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Question About Spotting the Ball

Started by carolinahogger, September 11, 2016, 09:49:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

carolinahogger

September 11, 2016, 09:49:42 am Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 08:13:05 am by carolinahogger
What are the rules concerning spotting the ball?  I have observed that officials tend to put the nose of the ball on a yard line, even when progress was a little farther or shorter they "round it off" to a yard line.  I see the reasons for that.  But here is the question:

At what point on the field do they start trying to spot exactly where progress ended?  On our WR run in the final overtime he made it maybe to the 10 1/2 yard line.  It was spotted exactly on the 10.  In a 'game of inches' at what point on the field do they start spotting (to the best of their abilities) exactly where the play ended?

carolinahogger

tucsonhogfan

They try and spot the ball exactly all of the time.  Since the refs are human, they will make mistakes from time to time.  The young guys can run a lot faster than the guys in stripes.  It is easier for them on short yardage plays and near the goal line.  Every now and then, you will see a challenge over the spot of the ball or hear a play by play guy make a comment about a poor spot.

jgphillips3

We have some refs on the board.  One of them can probably tell you exactly how they are instructed to place it but I believe it is supposed to be exact spot whenever known and possible.

MJ2

It's VERY inconsistent.   If you will watch at the high school level and below the ball is constantly being moved all over the place.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: carolinahogger on September 11, 2016, 09:49:42 am
What are the rules concerning spotting the ball?  I have observed that officials tend to put the nose of the ball on a yard line, even when progress was a little farther or shorter they "round it off" to a yard line.  I see the reasons for that.  But here is the question:

At what point on the field do they start trying to spot exactly where progress ended?  On our WR run in the final overtime he made it maybe to the 10 1/2 yard line.  It was spotted exactly on the 10.  In a 'game of inches' at what point on the field do they start spotting (to the best of their abilities) exactly where the play ended?

The refs gave us 1/2- 1 yard on the above mentioned spot.

Ragnow would have pushed for the extra distance.

" GO HOGS "

hogsanity

Quote from: jgphillips3 on September 12, 2016, 08:21:52 am
We have some refs on the board.  One of them can probably tell you exactly how they are instructed to place it but I believe it is supposed to be exact spot whenever known and possible.

It is. I can tell you I used to see spots on games I was watching and think, how'd they screw that up. This year, actually being responsible on the field for it, it is not as easy as it looks. You get a play between the sidelines and the numbers and it ends no here near any hash or yard line and I come into and make the spot. Then the umpire has to line that up on the hash with my downfield foot from several yards away and it is not easy to get the nose right on the spot, and it should be the nose of the ball at the spot. Add in on may HS fields the lines are not straight, some fields have huge crowns on the and others are flat or undulating, and it is nearly impossible to get that spot exact.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

soooieman

I am a wing official and would be glad to chime in. I always spot on an even yard line unless it's critical. There will be no 9.5 yard gains. He either got 10 or 9. I was taught in Texas by a NFL official. 3 reasons why u don't spot on half yard lines. 1) Nobody is that good where they can see that precise. 2) It's not that critical 99% of the time. In short down/distance situations it becomes critical. 3) it helps BOTH teams knowing that they need a full yard to gain rather than trying to explain in inches how far we need to go. 4) bonus reason. Cuts down on measurements and keeps the game flowing. 

hogsanity

Quote from: soooieman on September 12, 2016, 09:05:30 am
I am a wing official and would be glad to chime in. I always spot on an even yard line unless it's critical. There will be no 9.5 yard gains. He either got 10 or 9. I was taught in Texas by a NFL official. 3 reasons why u don't spot on half yard lines. 1) Nobody is that good where they can see that precise. 2) It's not that critical 99% of the time. In short down/distance situations it becomes critical. 3) it helps BOTH teams knowing that they need a full yard to gain rather than trying to explain in inches how far we need to go. 4) bonus reason. Cuts down on measurements and keeps the game flowing. 

Wish someone had told me that before last Fri night, that's good advice right there.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on September 12, 2016, 08:35:24 am
The refs gave us 1/2- 1 yard on the above mentioned spot.

Ragnow would have pushed for the extra distance.

" GO HOGS "
it actually could have screwed us. putting it at the 10 1st and Goal instead of 1st and 10 at the 10 1/2 is doing us a disservice, not a favor.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

carolinahogger

Thanks.  My observation is that spots are exactly on a yard line much more often than could be expected if officials were trying to be precise about where an offensive player was down, especially on plays when a first down was made. 

hawginbigd1

Very good answer it helps all involved in the game for the ball to end up on a yard line when not critical.

to the OP it is statistically impossible for the ball to end up on a yard line as much as it does though.

carolinahogger

Quote from: tucsonhogfan on September 12, 2016, 08:19:58 am
They try and spot the ball exactly all of the time. 

Look at at the replay of the TCU game.  You will see that more often than not, when a first down has been made the nose of the ball will be on a yard line.  Right on the edge.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on September 12, 2016, 09:09:25 am
it actually could have screwed us. putting it at the 10 1st and Goal instead of 1st and 10 at the 10 1/2 is doing us a disservice, not a favor.
Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda...I was surprised with the ball placement.

" GO HOGS "

HogBreath

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on September 12, 2016, 09:09:25 am
Exactly...that's a colossal difference against any offensive team.  Spot the ball at the point where progress stopped.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Hoggish1

Boo!  Spot the damn thing where it is, exactly!