Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Bret Bielema ahead of, right on, or behind schedule?

Started by Joe Lee Kimes Jr., September 04, 2016, 12:56:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

At the start of his 4th season, Bret Bielema is

Ahead of schedule.
15 (2.5%)
Right on schedule.
352 (59.7%)
Behind schedule
223 (37.8%)

Total Members Voted: 589

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Joe Lee Kimes Jr. on September 04, 2016, 01:16:49 pm
Spare me your tenure high horse-ness.  I've been around this board since Lanny got tired of Clay Henry on Hawgs Illustrated and decided to start Hogville.  I was around to watch the sunshine pumpers and darksiders battle it out over HDN while Porkrind Jimmy was sneaking into practices.  I couldn't remember my password after being away for a year and went with a new account.

we've already got a coach of 10-year olds lecturing us on pass progression, so you might as well come on back in

Cinco de Hogo

Which Petrino ya'll talking about the one that gets top 20 respect or that one out in Idaho?  Ya confusing me!

factchecker

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on September 04, 2016, 09:34:43 pm
Which Petrino ya'll talking about the one that gets top 20 respect or that one out in Idaho?  Ya confusing me!

The Harley Hooligan.  He's good but he struggled with "mediocre" teams as well.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hog19911

I need to see how this year plays out first. Last year we lost to Toledo and Tech and after that I would have never believed we could play like we did the last half of the season.

Having said that I lean towards behind schedule. I wouldn't expect to be going life and death with Louisiana Tech in year 4. I wouldn't expect 7-5 to be our best record after four years.

Now we could still improve on that but after yesterday it seems like a stretch.

daprospecta

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on September 04, 2016, 07:33:54 pm
To be fair, the average fan simply doesn't understand that the difference between a La Tech and an Arkansas is not as great as everyone would like to think.

just like in the game thread when the announcer made a comment about a player like Agim usually going to a top tier program and the posters in that thread went nuts "what is she saying Arkansas isn't a top tier school? They hate us " etc etc well Arkansas is NOT a top tier school.

Bobby Petrino had some great years here because he happened to coincide with some GREAT in state talent + a transfer QB +  a few breaks, not because he's some great coach who made Arkansas into a top program. GIven a few more years, his recruiting would have caught up with him.

A REALISTIC goal for our program each year should be 8-9 wins, and that includes beating some teams we should lose to and losing to some teams we should beat. Expecting to DOMINATE a program like La Tech, is unreasonable.

Toledo, or someone like that, on the other hand...............
Bobby Petrino had top ten teams at Louisville. Had a tough situation in Atlanta and then came here and turned our team into a top ten team.  He got fired and now he has Louisville in the top 20 and winning in dominating fashion.  BP is no saint, but he is a good football coach. 

gchamblee

Quote from: daprospecta on September 04, 2016, 09:55:23 pm
Bobby Petrino had top ten teams at Louisville. Had a tough situation in Atlanta and then came here and turned our team into a top ten team.  He got fired and now he has Louisville in the top 20 and winning in dominating fashion.  BP is no saint, but he is a good football coach.

He is an excellent coach and knows how to win. He is a great hire for those that place winning above everything else.

Mulberry Squeezins

Quote from: daprospecta on September 04, 2016, 09:55:23 pm
the only thing worse than the glass is always half empty crowd are the ones crying that we're just poor little arkiesaw

daprospecta

Quote from: gchamblee on September 04, 2016, 10:04:00 pm
He is an excellent coach and knows how to win. He is a great hire for those that place winning above everything else.
Right! I understand why we fired him but I'm tired of fans acting like he wasn't a good coach. He proved you can win big in Fayetteville so there is no excuse for the current regimen. 

Hog Solo

I voted behind.  Shouldn't be struggling vs the la techs of the world in year 4. 

factchecker

Quote from: Hog Solo on September 04, 2016, 10:08:14 pm
I voted behind.  Shouldn't be struggling vs the la techs of the world in year 4.

What about the Troys or 2-10 HDN Ole Misses of the world?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

gchamblee

Quote from: daprospecta on September 04, 2016, 10:07:28 pm
Right! I understand why we fired him but I'm tired of fans acting like he wasn't a good coach. He proved you can win big in Fayetteville so there is no excuse for the current regimen.

If CBB lucked into the kind of local talent recruiting class the CBP did, CBB would have been just as successful as CBP was with those players. You took what I said and twisted it to your agenda, which is dishonest.

Hog Solo

Quote from: factchecker on September 04, 2016, 10:16:49 pm

Why do I care about ole miss or their coach? Apples to bananas.

factchecker

Quote from: Hog Solo on September 04, 2016, 10:21:29 pm
Why do I care about ole miss or their coach? Apples to bananas.

Your god struggled with crappy Troy (3-9) and horrible Houston Nutt led Ole Miss in year 4 of his tenure here.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Cinco de Hogo

If in 2013 CBB wrote in his diary what his goals were by 2016 what do you think the answer would be?  That's the way I look at this question.  Myself, I never set any goals for him to meet or exceed so answering the question based on my expectations wouldn't be possible.

factchecker

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on September 04, 2016, 10:23:17 pm
If in 2013 CBB wrote in his diary what his goals were by 2016 what do you think the answer would be?  That's the way I look at this question.  Myself, I never set any goals for him to meet or exceed so answering the question based on my expectations wouldn't be possible.

Win the one game at a time.... which we did.  Style points don't mean chit if you don't win.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

daprospecta

Quote from: gchamblee on September 04, 2016, 10:19:56 pm
If CBB lucked into the kind of local talent recruiting class the CBP did, CBB would have been just as successful as CBP was with those players. You took what I said and twisted it to your agenda, which is dishonest.
I don't have an agenda. My stance is you can win big in Fayetteville. Bobby Petrino proved it.  Yes, BP did have local talent but he won with that local talent and he has won at other schools as well.  HDN even had one or two great seasons. There is absolutely no excuse why this current coaching staff can't win big here and by big I mean double digit win seasons. You need more time? Sure, I'll give this year a pass but if we are going into season 5 and we are talking about "rebuilding", we are truly delusional as a fan base.

Hog Solo

Quote from: gchamblee on September 04, 2016, 10:19:56 pm

Funny.  I remember people on this board saying that bp was left a bare cupboard much the same as cbb was.  Doesn't matter who the new coach is, the cupboard is always bare.

Besides I remember that cbb had a fairly good local recruiting class in the state his first year as well with the likes of hunter Henry being one.

Hog Solo

Quote from: factchecker on September 04, 2016, 10:23:12 pm
Your god struggled with crappy Troy (3-9) and horrible Houston Nutt led Ole Miss in year 4 of his tenure here.

You crazy.

daprospecta

Quote from: factchecker on September 04, 2016, 10:24:13 pm
Win the one game at a time.... which we did.  Style points don't mean chit if you don't win.
But everything else matters when we lose right? We lose "He's building something special!" We win "We are winning one game at a time"

factchecker

Quote from: daprospecta on September 04, 2016, 10:25:11 pm
I don't have an agenda. My stance is you can win big in Fayetteville. Bobby Petrino proved it.

You are correct.  Bobby won a lot of games but THIS thread is a response to struggling with "mediocre" teams.  Louisiana Tech is better than both those teams in 2011 we struggled with.  Petrino was brought up because "in year 4 we shouldn't struggle with the LaTech's of the college football."  If that's the case then what the hell was wrong with Petrino when he did just that in year 4.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

factchecker

Quote from: daprospecta on September 04, 2016, 10:26:53 pm
But everything else matters when we lose right? We lose "He's building something special!" We win "We are winning one game at a time"

What the hell are you talking about?  When have I've ever said a loss is ok?  I'm sorry that I'm not melting over a win.  Could we or should we have played better?  Sure, but we pulled out the win in the end that's all that matters.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

daprospecta

Quote from: factchecker on September 04, 2016, 10:28:29 pm
You are correct.  Bobby won a lot of games but THIS thread is a response to struggling with "mediocre" teams.  Louisiana Tech is better than both those teams in 2011 we struggled with.  Petrino was brought up because "in year 4 we shouldn't struggle with the LaTech's of the college football."  If that's the case then what the hell was wrong with Petrino when he did just that in year 4.
Oh, you mean that 11-2 season? If we win 10 games this year, I will gladly eat crow but let's be honest.  Did you worry about that 2011 team struggling like you did this team yesterday? I don't feel like we just had a bad game which is scary. 

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on September 04, 2016, 07:33:54 pm
To be fair, the average fan simply doesn't understand that the difference between a La Tech and an Arkansas is not as great as everyone would like to think.

just like in the game thread when the announcer made a comment about a player like Agim usually going to a top tier program and the posters in that thread went nuts "what is she saying Arkansas isn't a top tier school? They hate us " etc etc well Arkansas is NOT a top tier school.

Bobby Petrino had some great years here because he happened to coincide with some GREAT in state talent + a transfer QB +  a few breaks, not because he's some great coach who made Arkansas into a top program. GIven a few more years, his recruiting would have caught up with him.

A REALISTIC goal for our program each year should be 8-9 wins, and that includes beating some teams we should lose to and losing to some teams we should beat. Expecting to DOMINATE a program like La Tech, is unreasonable.

Toledo, or someone like that, on the other hand...............

The parts about Petrino are BS. That man can flat out coach. He has faults, and plenty of them.  But he is most certainly a great coach. He took Louisville from a nothing program in conference USA , and made them a powerhouse. Sure, He didn't do to well in the pros. But neither did Saban.  Heck, He took Houston Nutts players and had us at #3 in the nation.

daprospecta

Quote from: Hawghiggs on September 04, 2016, 10:32:06 pm
The parts about Petrino are BS. That man can flat out coach. He has faults, and plenty of them.  But he is most certainly a great coach. He took Louisville from a nothing program in conference USA , and made them a powerhouse. Sure, He didn't do to well in the pros. But neither did Saban.  Heck, He took Houston Nutts players and had us at #3 in the nation.
Thank you sir.

factchecker

Quote from: Hawghiggs on September 04, 2016, 10:32:06 pm
He took Houston Nutts players and had us at #3 in the nation.

Holy dumbasss.  Mallett, Wilson, and the Warren boys were Nutt recruits?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

razorsharptusk

I have no idea where we are.  Does anyone else ever look at truly great teams and ask themselves " when will our team look like that and play like that?" It's year 4.  That was La. Tech.  We are galaxies away from Alabama. And unfortunately the road to where we want to go travels through them.  But forget about Alabama. We have to find a way to beat TCU.
GO HOGS!!

hogfanmd

Nick saban would win a national championship at Arkansas if he came to Arkansas.  However does that translate into any other coach winning one ??
Just cause Petrino won here is not a guarantee someone else will
Just cause CBB went to the rose bowl 3 times at wisconsin does not mean he will get arkansas to the sugar bowl.  Too many intangibles
Look at the basketball program.  After Nolan nothing good has happened

There is no definite schdule to know where we should be year 4 other then how Jeff long thinks his doing

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: factchecker on September 04, 2016, 10:24:13 pm

I don't think style point are Germaine to the question but carry on.  I don't base my opinion on what happened Saturday, it's a career(Arkansas)question.  O-line is his pride and joy, go ask him if it's were he thought it would be in year four.
Ask him about RS and true freshmen RB's.  Ask him about nine returning starters that can't handle a true freshmen 2nd string QB.  Ask him about special teams.

Three years leading up to one game at a time.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on September 04, 2016, 07:32:57 pm
Are you Brets pool boy?  I can understand you defense of him, wouldn't want to lose THAT job!

Year four is instant gratification...right.

Seems like ANY expectation a fans has is wrong to you,

He is a social justice warrior. He comes from the you will say nothing about the regime....

PRJ

factchecker

Quote from: daprospecta on September 04, 2016, 10:32:01 pm
Oh, you mean that 11-2 season? If we win 10 games this year, I will gladly eat crow but let's be honest.  Did you worry about that 2011 team struggling like you did this team yesterday? I don't feel like we just had a bad game which is scary.

I was much more worried about the struggle against Houston Nutt's Ole Miss.  That loss, SEC opponent or not, would have been worse than losing to Toledo to me.  I hated losing to Hootie anytime.  It's crazy to me that Bobby lost twice to him.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hog Solo

Still a conference victory, better than a close call to la tech and losing to Toledo last year.  Anxiousness in the Bielema era is well warranted at this point.

factchecker

Quote from: Hog Solo on September 04, 2016, 10:45:04 pm
Still a conference victory, better than a close call to la tech and losing to Toledo last year.  Anxiousness in the Bielema era is well warranted at this point.

Agreed.  The loss to Toledo should make you second guess the coaching.  Agree 100%.

I just can't deal with losing to HDN.  The one time I won't go to a home game is if we ever do a Hall of Honor ceremony for him.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: factchecker on September 04, 2016, 10:51:31 pm
Agreed.  The loss to Toledo should make you second guess the coaching.  Agree 100%.

I just can't deal with losing to HDN.  The one time I won't go to a home game is if we ever do a Hall of Honor ceremony for him.

Should just end the thread right here.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Hawghiggs

Quote from: factchecker on September 04, 2016, 10:33:31 pm
Holy dumbasss.  Mallett, Wilson, and the Warren boys were Nutt recruits?

Maybe not them. But plenty of the rest where.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: factchecker on September 04, 2016, 10:41:51 pm
I was much more worried about the struggle against Houston Nutt's Ole Miss.  That loss, SEC opponent or not, would have been worse than losing to Toledo to me.  I hated losing to Hootie anytime.  It's crazy to me that Bobby lost twice to him.

Ed Oregon(sp)Nutt has proven he can coach other people's players, Petrino and CBB not so much.

The 2008 defense was so barren a unrecruited DT out of LR that Petrino offered at the last second started his first game as a freshman.  The only RB we had weight 165 lbs.  Casey Dick(still love him).  No recievers, some decent O-lineman.

factchecker

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on September 04, 2016, 10:55:55 pm
Ed Orergon(sp)Nutt has proven he can coach other people's players, Pettino and CBB not so much.

The 2008 defense was so barren a unrecruited DT out of LR that Petrino offered at the last second started his first game as a freshman.  The only RB we had weight 165 lbs.  Casey Dick(still love him).  No recievers, some decent O-lineman.

No doubt.  That's why I gave Petrino a pass on losing to HDN the first two years.  If he would have lost in year 4.... to a 2-10 team....would not have been good.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

gchamblee

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on September 04, 2016, 10:40:56 pm
He is a social justice warrior. He comes from the you will say nothing about the regime....

PRJ

lol i dont think that phrase means what you think it means. i am critical of this staff, but i do call out idiots when they want to be critical but dont have a clue what they are talking about. glad the hogs performed badly enough for you to show back up, im sure you were greatly missed here.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: factchecker on September 04, 2016, 10:57:45 pm
No doubt.  That's why I gave Petrino a pass on losing to HDN the first two years.  If he would have lost in year 4.... to a 2-10 team....would not have been good.

In year four those Oregon recruits were seniors but Nutt had time to screw them up especially at QB, man was that a running joke!

Hog Solo

Quote from: factchecker on September 04, 2016, 10:57:45 pm

Very true.  You're right that one was closer than it should've been.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: gchamblee on September 04, 2016, 11:00:46 pm
lol i dont think that phrase means what you think it means. i am critical of this staff, but i do call out idiots when they want to be critical but dont have a clue what they are talking about. glad the hogs performed badly enough for you to show back up, im sure you were greatly missed here.

Most of us just want to be honest, you guys spouting of you rays of sunshine, or is it one thousand points of light, are seldom right about anything.  It get old having that crap shouted down your throat when you know it's gonna come right back up.  Get over yourself, you don't know much about football, just blind faith.

HiggiePiggy

If we finish with 6 to 8 wins then I would say we are on schedule.  If he finishes with anymore than that then we are ahead any less then he is behind. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on September 04, 2016, 11:06:49 pm
If we finish with 6 to 8 wins then I would say we are on schedule.  If he finishes with anymore than that then we are ahead any less then he is behind.

Close but I would say,
Behind-7 or less
On-8 or 9
Ahead-10 or more

Dwillhog66

Quote from: daprospecta on September 04, 2016, 10:32:01 pm

BP is a great coach but I had zero confidence he was ever going to compete with Bama and LSU.
I feel much more confident about the possibility of us defeating Bama under a BB team then a BP team.
Personally, I think BP is a better game day coach but I think BB is a far better program builder which is why I think BB is much better for us and am extremely happy is our coach.
BP is now the enemy of the Arkansas Razorbacks and will never have anything to do with our program again no matter what so the love for him on here makes zero sense if u r truly a Hog fan.

Hog Solo

Quote from: Dwillhog66 on September 04, 2016, 11:12:09 pm
BP is a great coach but I had zero confidence he was ever going to compete with Bama and LSU.
I feel much more confident about the possibility of us defeating Bama under a BB team then a BP team.
Personally, I think BP is a better game day coach but I think BB is a far better program builder which is why I think BB is much better for us and am extremely happy is our coach.
BP is now the enemy of the Arkansas Razorbacks and will never have anything to do with our program again no matter what so the love for him on here makes zero sense if u r truly a Hog fan.

Bobby has never been the enemy ever. Unless we play him that should continue to be that way. 

Cinco de Hogo

No one has said they want BP back but it's stupid to tell lies about BP in an argument about how good CBB is.  Whatever Petrino was has nothing to do with what CBB is.  If people, in year four don't think CBB can stand on his own accomplishments maybe you should ask them why.  I don't remember people blaming a lose on Nutt in BP's fourth year.  Back then our current CBB loyalist were blaming everything they could on BP.  They already hated him.  I don't think anybody hates CBB.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Hog Solo on September 04, 2016, 11:16:55 pm
Bobby has never been the enemy ever. Unless we play him that should continue to be that way.

Exactly, we just inducted Holtz into the Hall of Fame and we played his SC teams.  This hate for BP has always been rather strange.

Dwillhog66

Quote from: Hog Solo on September 04, 2016, 11:16:55 pm

Of course he's an enemy of the Hogs, just like all other coaches r. Would/will he try to recruit players our coaches r recruiting? Yes is the answer, which makes him the enemy of the hogs.

Hogdomer

But we almost always beat the teams we should have, and we did beat LSU twice with Petrino.  We should have beaten Bama in 2010 (but Beilima should have beaten them in 2014). 

Under Beilema, we've lost to Rutgers, Toledo, Texas Tech and by all rights should have lost yesterday.  Not to mention Miss State three in a row and two blown games against A&M.  Beilima is a much better person and I'm glad he is here but as a coach I'll take Petrino.

hog19911

Quote from: factchecker on September 04, 2016, 10:16:49 pm
It's true that Bobby had a few games over the course of four years that were closer than they should be. But it's also worth mentioning that we always found a way to win them. Even when we didn't play our best we went home with a W. I honestly can't remember losing any games we should have won, I guess probably Kentucky in year one. He had no Rutgers, Toledo or Texas Techs during his time here.