Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Bret Bielema ahead of, right on, or behind schedule?

Started by Joe Lee Kimes Jr., September 04, 2016, 12:56:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

At the start of his 4th season, Bret Bielema is

Ahead of schedule.
15 (2.5%)
Right on schedule.
352 (59.7%)
Behind schedule
223 (37.8%)

Total Members Voted: 589

Joe Lee Kimes Jr.

Very simple question. If you had to choose one of those 3 options at the beginning of his 4th season, how do you see it?  I'm interested to see where the consensus opinion is at this point.

incHOGnito

We are 1-0. We won ugly, but we won.

The biggest issue is that the stars aren't quite aligning. We finally get depth at the skill positions (especially the WR) like we haven't seen since Petrino. We have an OC that seems to know how to use the depth and we lose two pivotal OL and our 5th year QB to graduation/draft.

I am not saying everyone doesn't deal with attrition, but I truly feel for Arkansas to have a championship season we need all the stars to align and need some luck on top of that.

ricepig

Need to make this a pole and add Frito Pie, then you'll get a lot of responses. Oh, about where I expected, but we're only 1 game in for this season.....

longpig

Can't tell jack by the first game of the season.  Anybody that thinks they can is kidding themselves.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Mike Shelton

gchamblee

I knew before I even opened this thread that the OP would only have 2 or 3 posts total.

3kgthog

Behind. Coaches always get compared to those that came before them and BB isn't equaling that success at this point in his Hog career. I like him and he's entertaining, but he'll have a record similar to Nutt's when he's done. The only difference is BB will get there with a more balanced offense.

DEVIL DOG HOG

We showed just enough to win. didn't give TCU much to look at.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

daprospecta

Quote from: 3kgthog on September 04, 2016, 01:09:52 pm
Behind. Coaches always get compared to those that came before them and BB isn't equaling that success at this point in his Hog career. I like him and he's entertaining, but he'll have a record similar to Nutt's when he's done. The only difference is BB will get there with a more balanced offense.
I don't want to believe it but I feel like this is the future.  We will be a solid program, we just won't have a special season every few years. Prove me wrong Bret. Please prove me wrong.

jkstock04

Quote from: Joe Lee Kimes Jr. on September 04, 2016, 12:56:02 pm
Very simple question. If you had to choose one of those 3 options at the beginning of his 4th season, how do you see it?  I'm interested to see where the consensus opinion is at this point.
Kind of a loaded question. It all Depends on what your expectations of him are.

With my expectations of him I say he is right on schedule.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

SA Hog Fan

Right on schedule.  2018 is his make or break year. 

Joe Lee Kimes Jr.

Quote from: gchamblee on September 04, 2016, 01:09:04 pm
I knew before I even opened this thread that the OP would only have 2 or 3 posts total.

Spare me your tenure high horse-ness.  I've been around this board since Lanny got tired of Clay Henry on Hawgs Illustrated and decided to start Hogville.  I was around to watch the sunshine pumpers and darksiders battle it out over HDN while Porkrind Jimmy was sneaking into practices.  I couldn't remember my password after being away for a year and went with a new account.

Hardcore Hoggy

Clearly he's behind schedule.

If we're talking about a program hoping to win an SEC title at some point.

MAYBE if we had at least one win over Alabama in that time frame we could say he's on target, but the numbers speak for themselves.

But , it is also too early to be talking about getting rid of him. Two more seasons (counting this one) to get 10 wins, then it's time to move on.

IF you care about wins and losses, that is. If you're okay with being a mid tier SECW program ran correctly and cleanly by a good man, then stick with him.

AND, there is nothing wrong with holding either position.

jkstock04

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on September 04, 2016, 01:18:48 pm

MAYBE if we had at least one win over Alabama in that time frame we could say he's on target, but the numbers speak for themselves.

But , it is also too early to be talking about getting rid of him. Two more seasons (counting this one) to get 10 wins, then it's time to move on.

IF you care about wins and losses, that is. If you're okay with being a mid tier SECW program ran correctly and cleanly by a good man, then stick with him.

That's the thing...OP wasn't clear enough as to what the "schedule" was that we are supposed to be on.

These days wins and losses are 100% irrelevant to a portion of our fan base. If that's where you are as a fan it would be easy to vote for being ahead of schedule.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

gchamblee

Quote from: Joe Lee Kimes Jr. on September 04, 2016, 01:16:49 pm
Spare me your tenure high horse-ness.  I've been around this board since Lanny got tired of Clay Henry on Hawgs Illustrated and decided to start Hogville.  I was around to watch the sunshine pumpers and darksiders battle it out over HDN while Porkrind Jimmy was sneaking into practices.  I couldn't remember my password after being away for a year and went with a new account.

I have no tenure and certainly dont own a horse, especially a high one. I was making fun of you for not having the courage to start your "we need a change at head coach" crap with your better known identity. Carry on, you'll have a lot of friends for the next week or 2 so it is a great time for your kind to crawl out of the shadows, and when things turn around and start trending up you can revert back to your positive account and act like nothing ever happened :)

Pig In The City

I don't think we need to panic yet. No need for chicken littles.

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 04, 2016, 01:22:47 pm
That's the thing...OP wasn't clear enough as to what the "schedule" was that we are supposed to be on.

These days wins and losses are 100% irrelevant to a portion of our fan base. If that's where you are as a fan it would be easy to vote for being ahead of schedule.

That may be true for a portion of our fanbase (probably is) but I imagine that our AD's schedule includes winning an SEC title at some point (or at least I hope so)

I think he gets this and next season to get to 10 wins...

:inb4yahbuttheSECissomuchharderthanitusedtobe:

gchamblee

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on September 04, 2016, 01:18:48 pm

Wins are important to me. I certainly do not hope for mediocrity. However, I am in the crowd that values other things just as much as I value wins. I did not like the slow starts of the last 2 years, but I also can appreciate having a first year starter at QB, a first year starter at RB and being in the process of trying to build a new offensive line. We lost the best TE in the game but we have a replacement that makes that loss have less of an impact than it usually would. My biggest disappointment yesterday was the defensive backs. The DLine couldn't do anything because they were running quick pass plays and not holding the ball, but the DBacks were giving too much of a cushion and seemed to be not much better than last year. I think you were being sarcastic, but I couldnt be positive so I gave you the benefit of doubt and responded honestly.

Hogarusa

Not much has changed from today and Jan 2.  Theres been 1 game played.  Whatever your thought then probably remains the same.

I'd go with frito pie
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

FreshHog

he's right on schedule... people have unrealistic expectations every year. So far 19 people have admitted to being absolutely stupid.

hogcard1964

Can't tell until we see where we're headed later in the season.  However, it is the slowest rebuild I've ever experienced.  If we're still stuck at 7-8 wins after this season again, he's not only "behind schedule", but he's failed.

JOKERHOG

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on September 04, 2016, 01:12:21 pm
We showed just enough to win. didn't give TCU much to look at.

TCU should have enough to feel pretty confident.  Maybe that was our plan.
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

XX

Fill yur hands you son of a bitch!!

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 04, 2016, 02:25:31 pm
Can't tell until we see where we're headed later in the season.  However, it is the slowest rebuild I've ever experienced.  If we're still stuck at 7-8 wins after this season again, he's not only "behind schedule", but he's failed.
It's year 4.  The progress has been trending upward every year.  Every "rebuild" is different.  There is a night and day difference between where the program was when CBB took over to where it is now. 

hawgmasta

I wonder if we called the alma sonic and requested a "secret item" on the menu if they would do it. Hogville deluxe frito pie, password is right reverend Nutt.

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: JOKERHOG on September 04, 2016, 02:27:24 pm
TCU should have enough to feel pretty confident.  Maybe that was our plan.
TCU has their own issues to worry about.  This isn't a typical Gary Patterson defense.  Gave up 41 to an FCS school.  It will likely take 35+ pts for us to win, but TCU definitely didn't look like world beaters to me.

rzrbackramsfan

This is a tough question to answer as I just watched our 25 point favored team win by one.  I need more time to answer.  But as of before this game I think he was right on schedule.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on September 04, 2016, 02:32:11 pm
It's year 4.  The progress has been trending upward every year.  Every "rebuild" is different.  There is a night and day difference between where the program was when CBB took over to where it is now. 

Don't try to be rational with ol card. He's just one of those fans you feel like you have to apologize for to the rest of the fan base.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: gchamblee on September 04, 2016, 01:09:04 pm

Meaning?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

hogcard1964

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on September 04, 2016, 02:32:11 pm
There is a night and day difference between where the program was when CBB took over to where it is now.

+1000

I'll say.   :D

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 04, 2016, 02:25:31 pm

I'm thinking 7 or 8 wins is the ceiling this season.  And I'll take it given the current talent and experience level.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Boardon Hamsay

"Schedule" is a very relative term so being ahead, on, or behind it will equally relative. I think we're on schedule. A lot of folks have a preconceived idea of where we should be based on this being year 4 but with no regard to the context of what we have in year 4. Some think year 4 should always equate to 10+ wins. What if the timing of year four is such that you have a new QB, RB corps, o-line, etc? Does the magical aura of year 4 instill experience in players that need to otherwise gain experience? If you look at things objectively and understand who we have on the roster and the progress made in the past 3 years, I'd say on schedule is fair.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Hawghiggs

Behind.  I expected the O-line to be better. O-line and running backs are supposed to be Bielemas offensive foundation.  It's year four. There is no an excuse for that being a weak position.

alohawg

Quote from: Hawghiggs on September 04, 2016, 03:14:41 pm
  Behind.  I expected the O-line to be better. O-line and running backs are supposed to be Bielemas offensive foundation.  It's year four. There is no an excuse for that being a weak position.

This seems fair however Denver leaving early didn't help the plan.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Wildhog

The OL is exactly what I expected.  You can't recruit OL as poorly as we have and just magically put a solid unit on the field. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Cinco de Hogo

-10 in the SEC!

He may never get to 500, do you think Bret thinks he's ahead of schedule? 

Wildhog

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on September 04, 2016, 03:22:04 pm
-10 in the SEC!

He may never get to 500, do you think Bret thinks he's ahead of schedule? 

I agree.  "Ahead of schedule" shouldn't even be an option in the poll.
1909/1964/1965/1977

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: Joe Lee Kimes Jr. on September 04, 2016, 12:56:02 pm
It's not a "simple question". It's asking for an evaluation of a coach based on one game. Based solely on this performance, I would have to say behind schedule. But based on the entire body of work, I think he's on schedule. We have improved our record every year. He's beaten OM and LSU two years in a row. Recruiting seems to be on the rise. We're getting more national exposure simply because the media LOVES him.

Now, if we keep playing like we did yesterday, then I will change my answer, but I don't think that will happen. CBB's teams have started slow every year, and they have shown drastic improvement over the course of the season every year.

Yesterday's performance may or may not be indicative of the rest of the season, but based on recent history, I'd say let's take the W and wait until we have a bit more evidence before we pass judgment.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

majestic

The, "Houston Nutt 2.0", seems fitting with CBB's record of losing to teams you should beat while pulling out some wins against teams that you should lose to.  I'm just glad we won yesterday, as I'll be with my group from Alabama next week and can't imagine the ragging I'd take if we had lost.

And for the record, I hated Nutt and like CBB.  I'm just ready for the wins to start rolling in.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

Medic821

Truly love some of these posts.   Dumbassness still lives.

IntegrityHog

Quote from: SA Hog Fan on September 04, 2016, 01:16:04 pm
Right on schedule.  2018 is his make or break year.

Totally agree.  I've been saying this all along.  2018 will be the first year that he has his own 5th-year seniors (firstl recruiting class doesn't count since he only had 2 weeks).  I think we are in for a treat that year.

BadHog

"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

ArkansasI

I think Bret (and Bob Stoops, Dan Mullin, etc.) proved yesterday that scholarship limits have substantially leveled the competition; that most college coaches are way overpaid; and that it is stupid for major conference schools to play "lower D-1" non-conference games. 

Arkansas cannot "win" against Louisiana Tech, UTEP, Texas State, Toledo...  Fans are not interested. Players are often flat or fail to distinguish themselves against "inferior" opponents.  These games cultivate doubts among fans and do not help build the brand.

Nick Saban is the exception among college coaches because he evaluates or recruits better than everybody else.  He turned Alabama around immediately.

hogcard1964

Quote from: alohawg on September 04, 2016, 02:49:31 pm
This is year 4, what's the schedule?

2022-23 for a middle tier bowl.  2024-28 for a playoff spot.  2029-34 for title contention.

He's on target.   ;)

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Wildhog on September 04, 2016, 03:19:07 pm
The OL is exactly what I expected.  You can't recruit OL as poorly as we have and just magically put a solid unit on the field. 

No kidding.  The signs were clearly there.  We're a very naive lot.

Now I didn't expect it to be that bad, so hopefully at least some of it was an anomoly. 

Razorbackers

Anyone with a brain knew this season was going to be a step down. The problem is, a lot of homerism took over (as is tradition) as we approached kickoff.

The line is not great. The QB is inexperienced. The running backs are ok. A lot of people expected Whaley to put up Collins level numbers as a freshmen which is just unreasonable. Maybe now people will realize just how special of a player Alex truly was.

The defense looked solid. LA Tech was always going to gain yards, but what mattered were the points. And when the offense didn't turn it over, the defense did pretty well as a whole.

2015 should have been a breakout year for Bielema. Blame it on injuries, poor coaching, whatever you want. But that was a 10 win team that finished in the liberty bowl because they lost to Toledo and Miss State when they shouldn't have. (They also beat Ole Miss when the shouldn't have, so...)

2017 should be another team that SHOULD be pushing 10 wins. They'll have a lot of experience on both sides of the ball, and some skill positions should still be strong.

Depending on if you're an optimist, you could say Bret is on schedule. But 2015 he finished lower than he should have, no excuses.

Source of optimism though: Last year, we outplayed Toledo and lost. This year, we got outplayed by LAT but won. So...progress?

Bubba's Bruisers

This team still lacks talented depth, which includes the OL ironically.  Have to improve recruiting, which is a chore, because Fayetteville isn't close to concentrations of HS talent.  Just hard to recruit there.

phadedhawg

There were a lot of programs yesterday asking questions after surprise upsets.  We aren't among then so let's consider ourselves fortunate.