Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Offense-The Hogs add an efficient passing attack?

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, June 03, 2015, 06:30:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

This was posted previously under a different headline and I couldn't find it, but this is a worthy topic to discuss during the off season.

I'm not sure that I agree with everything the author says, like this:

"If the run is already excellent at attacking the inside and the perimeter, it's a waste of time to overly focus on the quick passing game. What the offense really needs is explosive firepower. It needs constraints that play off the run game, rather than short passes that duplicate it."

I think that while we do need more of an ability to stretch the field at times and be a legitimate threat in doing so, the short passing game on quick crossing routes off of play action can potentially be a source of big plays.

There is a lot of good material for discussion in this article.

"Arkansas needs an air attack that complements its run. Enos system is going to be simpler, starting with the language used to communicate on the field and extending to the passing philosophy. It will be even more play action-heavy."

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/5/6/8513665/arkansas-football-offense-2015
Go Hogs Go!

HogWall Jackson

The video Link at the bottom is as poor as the 2 Lame guyus that do Sonic Commercials. Why post it?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on June 03, 2015, 08:05:21 am
The video Link at the bottom is as poor as the 2 Lame guyus that do Sonic Commercials. Why post it?

Ask the author.
Go Hogs Go!

Boarmonger

Muskogee,
Thanks for the article.  I do have a tendency to agree with the author.  I do get your point about the crossing routes though.  That can be explosive if you have the speed but in my mind, that will just compress the D closer to the LOS.  I really think you have to have deep threats on the outside to sufficiently stretch the D.  It's what HV begged for all year last year and the year before for that matter.  I think that makes all the difference.  The key is to make the Safety keep thinking about the deep ball.

latrops

Quote from: Boarmonger on June 03, 2015, 08:19:45 am
Muskogee,
Thanks for the article.  I do have a tendency to agree with the author.  I do get your point about the crossing routes though.  That can be explosive if you have the speed but in my mind, that will just compress the D closer to the LOS.  I really think you have to have deep threats on the outside to sufficiently stretch the D.  It's what HV begged for all year last year and the year before for that matter.  I think that makes all the difference.  The key is to make the Safety keep thinking about the deep ball.

Does it have to be either or?  Why not have efficient short passes and the ability to go over the top when the defense cheats up too much?

GuvHog

Quote from: latrops on June 03, 2015, 08:29:41 am
Does it have to be either or?  Why not have efficient short passes and the ability to go over the top when the defense cheats up too much?

I agree. Having a short passing game is always a plus but if a team can't stretch the field, their opponents will be stacking the front to stop the run. Having speed receivers along with possession receivers is a must IMHO.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Boarmonger

No it doesn't have to be either or.  I was replying to Muskogee's comments in the original post.  I love crossing routes.  But I was trying to make the point that those types of routes would not substitute for a deep threat where stretching the D is concerned.  IMO......

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 03, 2015, 06:30:25 am
This was posted previously under a different headline and I couldn't find it, but this is a worthy topic to discuss during the off season.

I'm not sure that I agree with everything the author says, like this:

"If the run is already excellent at attacking the inside and the perimeter, it's a waste of time to overly focus on the quick passing game. What the offense really needs is explosive firepower. It needs constraints that play off the run game, rather than short passes that duplicate it."

I think that while we do need more of an ability to stretch the field at times and be a legitimate threat in doing so, the short passing game on quick crossing routes off of play action can potentially be a source of big plays.

There is a lot of good material for discussion in this article.

"Arkansas needs an air attack that complements its run. Enos system is going to be simpler, starting with the language used to communicate on the field and extending to the passing philosophy. It will be even more play action-heavy."

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/5/6/8513665/arkansas-football-offense-2015

We need both: an effective short passing game AND an explosive down field attack as well.

I think Enos is going to use HH and JS to tremendous effectiveness.

Obviously Brandon Allen is the real key, but IMO Dominique Reed would be a secondary key to the explosive abilities of our offense.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

DeltaBoy

Crossing routes can be killers with a Wright, Adams etc type receiver.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Cinco de Hogo

If you don't have a deep threat short passing routes aren't that much differant than running the ball(to defend).  One of the concerns when you feature a power run game is that you don't spend the time teaching the O-lineman how to sustain a block long enough for the play to develop.  A short(Quick)passing game is not much differant as far as blocking than the power run game.  Having all three would be a wet dream that come true!

How often do you see a team that can do all three at will?

Paul

Quote from: DeltaBoy on June 03, 2015, 10:28:42 am
hopefully Jo Jo can give us this

jabohog

I think the short passing game is called for. Our personell should excel at it, especially Brandon Allen. The plus is you get the ball into your studs hands other than the RBs. And Yes, I think JoJo, Reed, Duwap, etc will break some of the crossing routes. I do think you have to have the long passing game as well. Most teams know to stop our run game and make Brandon beat you. I think Brandon will manage some of that this year.

Razorfox

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on June 03, 2015, 11:31:44 am
If you don't have a deep threat short passing routes aren't that much differant than running the ball(to defend).  One of the concerns when you feature a power run game is that you don't spend the time teaching the O-lineman how to sustain a block long enough for the play to develop.  A short(Quick)passing game is not much differant as far as blocking than the power run game.  Having all three would be a wet dream that come true!

How often do you see a team that can do all three at will?

All the time...in the NFL.  :)

LZH

We need another Greg Childs and another J. Wright.  That alone would win us two games at least.

Razorfox

Quote from: LZH on June 03, 2015, 12:56:25 pm
We need another Greg Childs and another J. Wright.  That alone would win us two games at least.

Remember when Cobi Hamilton was our fourth receiver? 

LZH

Quote from: Razorfox on June 03, 2015, 12:58:09 pm
Remember when Cobi Hamilton was our fourth receiver? 

I know, right?  Maybe one or two of these young'uns will fill that need.

PorkSoda

yeah, why can't offenses be good at everything?

two factors:  Personnel and Practice Time
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

bennyl08

The Patriots haven't had a deep threat since Randy Moss left. They've been living off of short passing game and run game since then and haven't done too shabbily. That said, most teams understand the formula for beating them, it is just being able to do it that is hard. Play press man coverage on the receivers and throw them off their routes disrupting the timing while getting pressure up the middle. Brady's numbers tend to drop lower than other qb's when he's been hit a few times. However, that becomes a lot harder to do when they have Blount running the ball (apparently he's only allowed to be successful in the post-season or very late regular season) or Ridley running it (which is only when he isn't in the doghouse).

IMO, I prefer a complimentary deep play action to a power run game. Seeing a qb throw 30 quick screens a game like tamu isn't very exciting to me. It is effective in today's game and winning games is the most exciting thing. However, I like the idea of we are going to run it up your gut til you try and stop it and cheat up, then will suck you in the a PA pass deep downfield. When you try and stop the run and the deep pass, slant route or some other quick pass to eat up yardage that way.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

idochog

If you look at the Dallas Cowboys during the Aikman years, they had an awesome running game w/ Emmit Smith but they had possession receivers in Michael Irvin and a great TE Novacek, but they also had an outside speed threat in Alvin Harper
I love Jesus!

SooiecidetillNuttgone

I don't see how we could possibly do all three well (Run, Short Pass, Long Pass) when we're practicing in order to play our games at a whopping 3 passes for every 10 offensive plays ratio.   When we do throw, it'd better have a good chance of being successful and bringing something to the table that has the best bang for buck.

I think the author has it right for the most part.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Boarmonger on June 03, 2015, 08:50:33 am
No it doesn't have to be either or.  I was replying to Muskogee's comments in the original post.  I love crossing routes.  But I was trying to make the point that those types of routes would not substitute for a deep threat where stretching the D is concerned.  IMO......

I think that you have to have some success in the short stuff (inside and outside) and some of the deeper crossing routes, making the Secondary have to respect those plays instead of the Safeties always laying back. Once you have established your play action off of a successful run game and begin to look off the Safeties by looking at the deeper crossing route, I think you have an opportunity to throw to a wide open "fly" or "streak" route, provided that you have time for it to develop.
Go Hogs Go!

Hawgzinbowlz

It DOESN'T have to be either/or. Going over the top, even if unsuccessful with the completion, gives the D something to think about, particularly if it's done early. Having a short, and efficient, passing game will keep the chains moving.
To try to box it into an either/or is not good football.
Play efficiently and be balanced enough to take what the D gives, including the short/efficient passing game.
Keep the chains moving.

" GO HOGS "

The NewEra

I know this is very simple, but what we have really been lacking the past two years in the passing game that we had when Petrino was here is efficiency. BA getting the ball to the receiver and the receiver catching it. We've seen far too many missed opportunities in the passing game across the board. Lack of efficiency. I don't think our problems have been so much what we've been doing, but poor execution.  Throw in the fact that I thought Chaney made really questionable calls.  My point is I don't think it's short route, sideline or a race down the post, if it's not executed properly it's going to be a problem.

I think we'll see a major change in our efficiency this year under Enos. Expect to see multiple new schemes.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The NewEra on June 03, 2015, 06:13:00 pm
I know this is very simple, but what we have really been lacking the past two years in the passing game that we had when Petrino was here is efficiency. BA getting the ball to the receiver and the receiver catching it. We've seen far too many missed opportunities in the passing game across the board. Lack of efficiency. I don't think our problems have been so much what we've been doing, but poor execution.  Throw in the fact that I thought Chaney made really questionable calls.  My point is I don't think it's short route, sideline or a race down the post, if it's not executed properly it's going to be a problem.

I think we'll see a major change in our efficiency this year under Enos. Expect to see multiple new schemes.

I'm speculating here but in his "spare time" I think BP probably studied the tendencies and reactions of any given DB/LB of any team that we were going to play when faced with various alignments and subsequent patterns by down, distance and field position. How do you think that play just before the half against LSU when Mallett was playing occurred? By accident? Luck? Uh nope.

In case you have forgotten what that looked like (announcers: Mallet will be taking a knee with 6 seconds remaining in the half). Here it is. Someone had carefully studied the alignment of LSU Safeties and their normal reaction to such a play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVfWI79RnVk

In addition, I think he demanded disciplined route running and if you didn't execute, you didn't play. And by "disciplined routes" I don't necessarily mean purely defined routes, but rather routes that were designed to be "bent" from the standard route and ran in between coverage levels depending upon coverage, which required the QB and the Receivers to read the same thing at the LOS and thereafter, and be on the same page down field.

I don't think that is what we are going to see under Enos, but defenses never needed to respect our play action running game under BP as much as they do under Bielema. This may be enough to help create a pause by the LB'ers and Secondary when reading the play and perhaps enough of a split second to provide open receivers more often than we have seen the last couple of years. Coupled with a sound running game that has to be respected, improved route running by all receivers and the addition of a couple of kids whose speed must be respected, I expect to see an improved group of receivers and as a result, a passing game that has to require more respect by opposing defenses.
Go Hogs Go!

The NewEra

Dominicanhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 03, 2015, 06:27:51 pm
I'm speculating here but in his "spare time" I think BP probably studied the tendencies and reactions of any given DB/LB of any team that we were going to play when faced with various alignments and subsequent patterns by down, distance and field position. How do you think that play just before the half against LSU when Mallett was playing occurred? By accident? Luck? Uh nope.

In case you have forgotten what that looked like (announcers: Mallet will be taking a knee with 6 seconds remaining in the half). Here it is. Someone had carefully studied the alignment of LSU Safeties and their normal reaction to such a play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVfWI79RnVk

In addition, I think he demanded disciplined route running and if you didn't execute, you didn't play. And by "disciplined routes" I don't necessarily mean purely defined routes, but rather routes that were designed to be "bent" from the standard route and ran in between coverage levels depending upon coverage, which required the QB and the Receivers to read the same thing at the LOS and thereafter, and be on the same page down field.

I don't think that is what we are going to see under Enos, but defenses never needed to respect our play action running game under BP as much as they do under Bielema. This may be enough to help create a pause by the LB'ers and Secondary when reading the play and perhaps enough of a split second to provide open receivers more often than we have seen the last couple of years. Coupled with a sound running game that has to be respected, improved route running by all receivers and the addition of a couple of kids whose speed must be respected, I expect to see an improved group of receivers and as a result, a passing game that has to require more respect by opposing defenses.

nice summation on many points and I agree on all.... Personally, I'd like to see more success with the long ball... with SR's at all the skill positions, we should be able to throw an option route with QB and WR in sync,.....

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 03, 2015, 06:27:51 pm
I'm speculating here but in his "spare time" I think BP probably studied the tendencies and reactions of any given DB/LB of any team that we were going to play when faced with various alignments and subsequent patterns by down, distance and field position. How do you think that play just before the half against LSU when Mallett was playing occurred? By accident? Luck? Uh nope...

...I don't think that is what we are going to see under Enos, but defenses never needed to respect our play action running game under BP as much as they do under Bielema. This may be enough to help create a pause by the LB'ers and Secondary when reading the play and perhaps enough of a split second to provide open receivers more often than we have seen the last couple of years. Coupled with a sound running game that has to be respected, improved route running by all receivers and the addition of a couple of kids whose speed must be respected, I expect to see an improved group of receivers and as a result, a passing game that has to require more respect by opposing defenses.

BP said after the game that the 4th and 3 where Joe did a little dance and then RM went over the top for a TD in the end zone was a play we had been working on since fall preseason. The LSU safeties played from the sticks in to prevent the first down and BP took full advantage of this defensive tendency. BP got into the minutiae when studying defenses...and the 2010 LSU game was one he wanted very badly.
I am hoping/optimistic CDE will be very thorough in his studies of defenses and has us playing efficiently within the parameters of CBB/Razorback football. He has a lot of weapons to utilize.

" GO HOGS "

MuskogeeHogFan

June 04, 2015, 09:12:25 am #27 Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 09:36:32 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on June 03, 2015, 09:28:55 pm
BP said after the game that the 4th and 3 where Joe did a little dance and then RM went over the top for a TD in the end zone was a play we had been working on since fall preseason. The LSU safeties played from the sticks in to prevent the first down and BP took full advantage of this defensive tendency. BP got into the minutiae when studying defenses...and the 2010 LSU game was one he wanted very badly.
I am hoping/optimistic CDE will be very thorough in his studies of defenses and has us playing efficiently within the parameters of CBB/Razorback football. He has a lot of weapons to utilize.

" GO HOGS "

In this article the author mentioned our ineffective passing attack the last two years.

"Although Bielema's Arkansas has more or less succeeded in building an offense that can either pound the ball or throw, thanks to an abundance of dual-threat TEs, the Razorbacks' passing under former OC Jim Chaney was inefficient, twice ranking well into the country's bottom half in yards per pass."

There is some truth to that when you consider our numbers as a team last year, but we weren't the only ones. Missouri might have been worse than us. In any case, here is the SEC last year.

Team     Att/Gm    Cmp/Gm    %      Yds P/Gm      Yds P/Att       Yds P/Cmp     Int's     Int's P/Att
Ark          27.6         15.3      55.5       188.0              6.8               12.3          .46         1:59.8
Miz          29.6         15.8      53.3       189.1              6.4               12.0          .93         1:31.9
Aub         25.5         16.0      62.7       229.5              9.0               14.3          .54         1:47.4
OM          32.9         19.8      60.3       263.6              8.0               13.3         1.15        1:28.5
MSU        32.5         20.1      61.7       280.7              8.6               14.0          .92         1:35.3
LSU         21.2         10.6      50.0       162.9              7.7               15.3          .69         1:30.7
Ala          32.2         20.7      64.3       277.9              8.6               13.4          .71         1:45.1
A&M        39.5         25.5      64.6       305.5              7.7               12.0         1.15        1:34.3
Geo         24.8         16.7      67.4       199.9              8.1               12.0          .46         1:53.7
SC          36.0          21.3      59.2       282.4              7.8               13.3          .85         1:42.5
Fla          27.0          14.1      52.2       179.9              6.7               12.8         1.17        1:23.1
Ten         34.8          21.6      62.0       224.2              6.4               10.4         1.08        1:32.4
Van         29.8          15.0      50.4       179.1              6.0               11.9         1.58        1:18.8
KY           33.8          19.0      56.3       231.2              6.9               12.2          .92         1:36.8
SEC Avg  30.5          18.0      58.9       228.1              7.5               12.8          .90         1:33.9
Go Hogs Go!

Dominicanhog

Looks as though we threw short and not at a good % either... and not enough long completions ... hopefully the % goes up and connect on more passes deep down the field...

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Dominicanhog on June 04, 2015, 01:08:26 pm
Looks as though we threw short and not at a good % either... and not enough long completions ... hopefully the % goes up and connect on more passes deep down the field...

Well yeah but look at Missouri and Florida, same story. Tennessee, Vandy and Kentucky were all worse. LSU didn't exactly set the world on fire and A&M, for as much as they threw the ball, wasn't great either. That's half of the conference, not counting us.
Go Hogs Go!

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Boarmonger on June 03, 2015, 08:19:45 am
Muskogee,
The key is to make the Safety keep thinking about the deep ball.

This^^^

Historically, the most successful "run" teams had a Quinn Grovey, a Jameil Holloway, an Eric Crouch, or even a Jack Mildren that could occasionally raise up, and hit a bomb. I think Couch completed 100 passes for 1500 yards in his Heisman season.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on June 04, 2015, 03:02:44 pm
This^^^

Historically, the most successful "run" teams had a Quinn Grovey, a Jameil Holloway, an Eric Crouch, or even a Jack Mildren that could occasionally raise up, and hit a bomb. I think Couch completed 100 passes for 1500 yards in his Heisman season.

Teams that ran the triple option, veer option or something similar running the ball 90% of the time as the staple of their offense, could often take a quick 2-3 step after faking to the FB and find a Receiver wide open down field. We aren't likely to have receivers that open that often. But it can be achieved to some degree and yes, sometimes you have to stretch the field to keep the Safeties honest, but if we aren't successful in the short and medium range passes, they'll just lay back and wait on the deep ball.
Go Hogs Go!

Pig In The City

Quote from: DeltaBoy on June 03, 2015, 10:28:42 am
The deep cross route was wide open last year.

Sportster365

The Bielema identity hasn't been built around the explosive play. Dont understand where all of this "stretch the field" talk comes from.

The man has clearly said he wants to Ball Hog. Get the ball and keep the ball. Grind it out and wear opponents down. The dink and dunk philosophy meshes perfectly with what he wants to do while not extending to much pressure onto his QBs to make plays.

Of course every team will take their shots down field but don't expect 15yds+ passing plays every offensive possession, this isn't Petrino 2.0.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Sportster365 on June 05, 2015, 03:46:59 pm
The Bielema identity hasn't been built around the explosive play. Dont understand where all of this "stretch the field" talk comes from.

The man has clearly said he wants to Ball Hog. Get the ball and keep the ball. Grind it out and wear opponents down. The dink and dunk philosophy meshes perfectly with what he wants to do while not extending to much pressure onto his QBs to make plays.

Of course every team will take their shots down field but don't expect 15yds+ passing plays every offensive possession, this isn't Petrino 2.0.

As you said, everyone is going to take their shots downfield, and I agree that you need to be able to do that and provide a credible threat, or else the Safeties will have more of a tendency to roll-up on your underneath routes.

The trick is, having success underneath with play action on various alignments and routes that have a tendency to draw coverage towards those looks, pump short and then go deep to the receiver that has shown the Safeties that they can gain some separation. Suck those Safeties down inside or at least more towards the middle when they see something coming that is shorter that they have had a hard time defending in the game, will end up giving your deeper receivers a better opportunity for a less contested catch.

I think we are all saying the same thing here, just stating it a little differently.
Go Hogs Go!

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: GuvHog on June 03, 2015, 08:47:32 am
I agree. Having a short passing game is always a plus but if a team can't stretch the field, their opponents will be stacking the front to stop the run. Having speed receivers along with possession receivers is a must IMHO.
short passes to the edge or screens are more effective, as are the deep balls. the whole point being to make them pay for stacking the LOS.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

LZH

Quote from: Pig In The City on June 05, 2015, 09:10:07 am
The deep cross route was wide open last year.

With most defenses playing cover 2 against us last year, I was surprised that Cheney didn't take advantage of that more.

Unless BA was too hurt to make that throw.

hoggusamoungus

MuskogeeHogFan

June 07, 2015, 08:23:10 am #38 Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 08:47:06 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: hoggusamoungus on June 07, 2015, 07:42:59 am
Will they hang sixty on someone this year?

http://www.teamspeedkills.com/2015/6/2/8704229/who-will-arkansas-score-60-on-this-season

They may but if they do so it is going to be against opponents that folks will say, "that was expected". I doubt that we score 60 on A&M but if we do it will be because A&M scored 40-50 and we needed the points to win.

What I want to see is the Hogs scoring more effectively and often when they have opportunities.

Last year the Hogs entered the RZ 56 times on 156 drives (35.9% of all drives) and tied for the lead in the SEC (with Alabama) in average RZ scoring points generated per trip with 5.5. We need to raise that average if we are going to operate on the philosophy of fewer, but longer drives.

Alabama as an example, entered the RZ 64 times on 175 drives (36.6% of all drives) and averaged 5.5 points per trip but they converted on 85.9% of all of their RZ trips to the Hogs converting on 78.6% of fewer RZ trips. Additionally 70.3% of Alabama's RZ trips resulted in a TD compared to our 64.3%.

So while I love the style of offensive football that this staff teaches, if we are going to play ball control football we have to make sure that we increase our sustained drives, get to the RZ more often and then convert more frequently and more often than not, with TD's.

That concerns me more than whether we blow people out in ball games.
Go Hogs Go!

gawntrail

The biggest bang for the buck is to play-action and hit behind the sucked up LBs and between the 2 deep or 3 deep defenders.  Huge YAC opportunities.... 8-12 yd completions w/ 10+ YAC gashes defenses that are tuned up to stop the power run.  ESPECIALLY since we now have a 3rd RB in rotation.  Possession receivers put more stress on a defense by stretching them horizontally due to change of direction issues than speed guys do vertically. 

I think we'll see screens.  Then we pump the screen and hit a TE behind the closing defenders.  Our TEs run well and you don't need to be a 4.3 when you've got a head start.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: gawntrail on June 07, 2015, 08:29:19 am
The biggest bang for the buck is to play-action and hit behind the sucked up LBs and between the 2 deep or 3 deep defenders.  Huge YAC opportunities.... 8-12 yd completions w/ 10+ YAC gashes defenses that are tuned up to stop the power run.  ESPECIALLY since we now have a 3rd RB in rotation.  Possession receivers put more stress on a defense by stretching them horizontally due to change of direction issues than speed guys do vertically. 

I think we'll see screens.  Then we pump the screen and hit a TE behind the closing defenders.  Our TEs run well and you don't need to be a 4.3 when you've got a head start.

I agree. If we have success underneath in the run, with timely screens and shorter routes underneath and in between coverage levels, picking up some decent YAC, the opportunities for the deep ball will be there, particularly if the offensive alignments out of which we choose to go deep, seem to mimic those alignments with which we have had success throwing underneath and between.
Go Hogs Go!

gawntrail

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 07, 2015, 09:25:53 am
I agree. If we have success underneath in the run, with timely screens and shorter routes underneath and in between coverage levels, picking up some decent YAC, the opportunities for the deep ball will be there, particularly if the offensive alignments out of which we choose to go deep, seem to mimic those alignments with which we have had success throwing underneath and between.

It looks to me that our game plan will be ball control from -20 to +40, then the playbook actually expands from +40 on in with the intermediate playaction because DCs are going to stack the run.  The steady hammering of JW, AC, and hopefully CW, will catch LBs rolling forward at the snap, opening the area behind them.

Many team's playbooks actually shrink when the field compresses due to the vertical emphasis of their passing game.  Ours, being built on possession and play action, makes us much more difficult to defend on the plus side of the field. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: gawntrail on June 07, 2015, 11:40:23 am
It looks to me that our game plan will be ball control from -20 to +40, then the playbook actually expands from +40 on in with the intermediate playaction because DCs are going to stack the run.  The steady hammering of JW, AC, and hopefully CW, will catch LBs rolling forward at the snap, opening the area behind them.

Many team's playbooks actually shrink when the field compresses due to the vertical emphasis of their passing game.  Ours, being built on possession and play action, makes us much more difficult to defend on the plus side of the field. 

Having a sound and powerful running game definitely is a major plus, but I think that having an accurate QB with good touch on the ball and receivers who bend short routes in the RZ to find openings or can successfully execute a well placed fade route, are equally as important in order to keep the defense from simply stacking the LOS and looking to that as their primary responsibility.

A compressed field in the opponents red zone makes it easier for the defense to provide more coverage in less area, so hopefully play action from an effective run game and quicker passes will help us be more effective in situations like these. I'll be anxious to see how Enos handles these situations from a play calling standpoint.
Go Hogs Go!

Sportster365

Quote from: gawntrail on June 07, 2015, 08:29:19 am

I completely agree with the strategy it's ideal, but those passes come with a bit more difficulty to complete.