Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lou Holtz Commencement Talk

Started by TazorTusk, June 01, 2015, 01:04:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TazorTusk

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Hogfaniam

Front row at a Lou speech.  I kid.  Always fun to listen to him speak.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

arkfan81

Have faith...

dhizzle

I didn't know there were seven killers in a rainbow.

EastexHawg

supersaint

There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

nchogg

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Hogfaniam on June 01, 2015, 01:44:55 pm
Front row at a Lou speech.  I kid.  Always fun to listen to him speak.

Looks like the front row at a Gallagher show.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

hogman99

Hogfaniam

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Steve Spurrier, Florida football coach, telling Gator fans that a fire at Auburn's football dorm had destroyed 20 books: "But the real tragedy was that 15 hadn't been colored yet." (1991)

lefty08

That was incredible  thank you!
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Svrdhd

There aren't many people half his age that sharp and engaging in front of a crowd. Lou certainly has an inventory of cliches he can pull as needed after many years of public speaking, but it is clear to me that much of his awkward camera time has largely been a ruse to come off a bit flustered solely for our entertainment value.
  Well played, Mr. Holtz!
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

BigPapaHawg

WOO PIG

EastexHawg

Quote from: Svrdhd on June 01, 2015, 11:23:15 pm
There aren't many people half his age that sharp and engaging in front of a crowd.

Not a single note or cue card, no standing in front of a podium reciting from a teleprompter.  He spoke off the cuff and did it magnificently.  Even if someone believes he memorized his speech, how many people can recite almost 18 minutes from memory?

Coach Holtz is definitely smarter than the average bear.

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

TXArcher

I enjoyed listening to that speech.

Seebs

Wished he believed and lived all that - other videos prove otherwise.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

supersaint

Quote from: Seebs on June 03, 2015, 09:05:53 am
Wished he believed and lived all that - other videos prove otherwise.
Stories from former players do too.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

LZH

You boys should be ashamed of yourselves.  You try talking with a mouth full of marbles.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Hmmm......

YouTube took it down?
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

murthage

I'm getting.... Sorry Private Video, when trying to view.  Any suggestions on other sources.

Seebs

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 03, 2015, 06:33:29 pm
Would either of you care to be more specific?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iri0beuhlZ8

This is the leaked one - shows his true colors. Watch when it gets close to being on aire and he switches on his charm face. What a snake.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

lefty08

Quote from: Seebs on June 05, 2015, 08:00:35 am

This is the leaked one - shows his true colors. Watch when it gets close to being on aire and he switches on his charm face. What a snake.

Not sure what that has to do with his message........was he out of line there?
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

The Big O Oliver Squeeler

Lou is a smooth man when giving
a speech.  I enjoyed watching. 

EastexHawg

Quote from: Seebs on June 05, 2015, 08:00:35 am

That's it?  People are supposed to watch that and say, "A ha!  Look at and listen to that!  There's Holtz showing his true colors!"  ???

Some of you must have lived incredibly sheltered lives.

Seebs

Quote from: EastexHawg on June 06, 2015, 04:00:22 pm
That's it?  People are supposed to watch that and say, "A ha!  Look at and listen to that!  There's Holtz showing his true colors!"  ???

Some of you must have lived incredibly sheltered lives.

Search some of Mike Irwin's threads on the subject, he witnessed his shenanigans and has validated many opinions on the man.  You must know that what you see in front of the camera is much different on what you see when it is not on. Love Holtz if you like, I tend to believe he reeks of vinegar and water. 

My opinion was not based solely on that clip - just validated what has been presented by those in the know.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Seebs on June 06, 2015, 06:17:50 pm
My opinion was not based solely on that clip - just validated what has been presented by those in the know.

That he was irritated by a reporter who came to him at an event and obviously told him they were ready to go on the air, then made him wait several minutes before the station was ready to go to the interview with him, validates something to you?

He didn't curse, he didn't raise his voice, he just told her he was upset because she lied to him.  I must have lived my life around much more volatile people, especially competitive people, than a lot of people have...because that isn't among the top 5,000 explosive and vile reactions I have ever seen.

As for other Lou Holtz "incidents", keep in mind that he is 78 years old.  He's from the old school generation.  Even the junior high and high school coaches I knew were from the sling you around, kick you in the butt, peel the paint off the walls way of doing things...not the kinder, gentler, look out for everyone's feelings generation.

My dad was the same way.   He was a hard arse if there ever was one.  Do I resent that?  No, because I know he was instilling discipline in a boy and raising a man.  I'm glad I wasn't taught how to be a candy arse.  I don't hold that against him any more than I resent the coaches who subscribed to the same methodology.

lefty08

Quote from: EastexHawg on June 06, 2015, 09:23:13 pm
That he was irritated by a reporter who came to him at an event and obviously told him they were ready to go on the air, then made him wait several minutes before the station was ready to go to the interview with him, validates something to you?

He didn't curse, he didn't raise his voice, he just told her he was upset because she lied to him.  I must have lived my life around much more volatile people, especially competitive people, than a lot of people have...because that isn't among the top 5,000 explosive and vile reactions I have ever seen.

As for other Lou Holtz "incidents", keep in mind that he is 78 years old.  He's from the old school generation.  Even the junior high and high school coaches I knew were from the sling you around, kick you in the butt, peel the paint off the walls way of doing things...not the kinder, gentler, look out for everyone's feelings generation.

My dad was the same way.   He was a hard arse if there ever was one.  Do I resent that?  No, because I know he was instilling discipline in a boy and raising a man.  I'm glad I wasn't taught how to be a candy arse.  I don't hold that against him any more than I resent the coaches who subscribed to the same methodology.

I agree with all of this

Seebs

Quote from: EastexHawg on June 06, 2015, 09:23:13 pm

Hope sharing that was cathartic for you.  While the excitement of your upbringing is endearing - it does nothing  to change the fact Lou is a duplicitious, angry jerk.

Perhaps a hug or a trophy for participating in this discussion will help.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Seebs on June 07, 2015, 01:09:17 am
Hope sharing that was cathartic for you.  While the excitement of your upbringing is endearing - it does nothing  to change the fact Lou is a duplicitious, angry jerk.

I'm sure if he knew of your opinion Coach Holtz would probably cry himself to sleep at night, and if he knew some media members and former players thought he was a big meany his feelings would be crushed. Perhaps he could use the paper on which his Hall of Fame citation is written to dry his eyes...and cuddle up with his national championship ring for solace.

Seebs

Quote from: EastexHawg on June 07, 2015, 09:00:00 pm
I'm sure if he knew of your opinion Coach Holtz would probably cry himself to sleep at night, and if he knew some media members and former players thought he was a big meany his feelings would be crushed. Perhaps he could use the paper on which his Hall of Fame citation is written to dry his eyes...and cuddle up with his national championship ring for solace.
I am sure he would dismiss me as common trash, not worthy of his time just as he does anybody else that can do nothing for him, which includes you for that matter.  Thank you for making my point do clearly.

A nice story from a local scribe  - ran into Lou at the airport and introduced himself with his creditials - 'I am so and so from the Arkansas Democrat and before he could even finish his question - Lou's response - 'that's your problem'.  Class act.

Curious - Do you ever get tired of losing your arguments on this board? With 17K posts I assume not.

Let's not bore the rest of the masses with your rhetoric, send me a reply in PM and quit giving this bitter old man anymore attention. 

EastexHawg

Quote from: Seebs on June 07, 2015, 10:13:26 pm
I am sure he would dismiss me as common trash, not worthy of his time just as he does anybody else that can do nothing for him, which includes you for that matter.  Thank you for making my point do clearly.

A nice story from a local scribe  - ran into Lou at the airport and introduced himself with his creditials - 'I am so and so from the Arkansas Democrat and before he could even finish his question - Lou's response - 'that's your problem'.  Class act.

Curious - Do you ever get tired of losing your arguments on this board? With 17K posts I assume not.

Let's not bore the rest of the masses with your rhetoric, send me a reply in PM and quit giving this bitter old man anymore attention. 

You're right.  Everyone knows how impossible to deal with Lou Holtz is.  That's why no one has been willing to hire and employ him all these years, forcing him into an early retirement at only 78 years of age.

If he was still our coach he would be Rockne and Gandhi rolled into one, and anyone expressing an opinion to the contrary would "lose a board argument."

HogShat