Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What's the point in having Gafford?

Started by snoot hoggy hog, January 23, 2018, 07:29:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

snoot hoggy hog

None of the guards can make pass to 6ft 11in center? NONE OF THEM? HOW HARD CAN IT BE?

snoot hoggy hog

But you know how to get the ball to Trey Thompson???

Granny fan

I agree! I truly believe there is an intense amount of jealousy on this team.

snoot hoggy hog

I will be glad when the Lonzo Ball "pass-first" point guards become popular again. These James Harden/Russell Westbrook/Damian Lillard wannabees makes me sick.

Nickle-Pig

Gafford is not a starter. Maybe down the road but I hope we see not now.
Social sites are where cowards go to get a cup of courage.

hobhog

Quote from: Nickle-Pig on January 23, 2018, 07:57:13 pm

WHHHAAAAAAATTTT!?!?

ShadowHawg

Gafford was overmatched tonight. Even a blind ref could see that.

VirginiaHog

If Gafford stays he will be fed well by Harris.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 23, 2018, 08:00:19 pm
Exactly #34 knocked him off his spot the whole night and teams are not allowing him a clean roll to the basket off the pick.

Gizmo

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on January 23, 2018, 07:37:59 pm
I will be glad when the Lonzo Ball "pass-first" point guards become popular again. These James Harden/Russell Westbrook/Damian Lillard wannabees makes me sick.

So, players who play a style like MVPs and multiple All-Star appearances (including all three of players named being All-Stars this year) versus a highly overrated player who will be out of the league in three years? Ok, dude.

rljjr

Gafford just got outmuscled tonight. It happens. He'll put on some muscle in the off season and learn to bang with the Maten's of the world. He's an incredible talent and the best player on the roster, but he needs some seasoning and muscle. He'll learn.

BannerMountainMan

Gafford got called for a few fouls, and missed his first two layups and never really posted up after that so CMA took him out because TT was playing pretty well. And no you don't have to score to play well
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

HawgsPolo

January 23, 2018, 08:03:07 pm #12 Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 10:02:18 pm by HawgsPolo
Gafford makes plenty mistakes,  they are not instructed to pass him the ball all the time and he can't make free throws well enough.  He doesn't pass very well out of double teams and he usually never kicks the ball out on offensive rebounds. Dan will be well fed next season. Right now he isn't that type of player. Stop being naive and looking for likes.
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

daprospecta

He has to get better at moving without the ball.  He's too athletic to not be able to make a move off the dribble. He's young and he's learning.

zebradynasty

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 23, 2018, 08:00:19 pm

EXACTLY! Tonight showed why he needs an extra year. Georgia did a good job putting muscle on him. He has been able to finesse his way to the rim but the dogs pushed him away from the basket. Gafford is limited offensively and if he can't dunk...it's hard to for him to put up points. Everything is good the kid just needs more games and continue to work!

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: rljjr on January 23, 2018, 08:02:20 pm
Gafford just got outmuscled tonight. It happens. He'll put on some muscle in the off season and learn to bang with the Maten's of the world. He's an incredible talent and the best player on the roster, but he needs some seasoning and muscle. He'll learn.

Chaney will clear space for him next season...
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

MtPorker

if its not a slam he wont score. 

Thompson is mr turnover. 

im sure the guards stay frustrated

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Granny fan on January 23, 2018, 07:32:04 pm

They absolutely love each other like brother's why are you MAKING UP STUFF???
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

hoglady

This was the first game where Gafford was so physically overmatched - it made him pretty ineffective.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

bigred223

Quote from: Nickle-Pig on January 23, 2018, 07:57:13 pm

I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.

Gizmo

ParkerSchnabel

He is JUST a fresh. I think bc we saw flashes earlier many of you "coaches" think he's already arrived. SMDH. You would think we lost tonight to look at this board. Ignorant and dumb thread and it should be in the trash can.

USChog

He also needs to pass better out of the post. We could get a lot more open shots if he had a better pass. He is only going to improve and will be a real force next year.

PonderinHog

He had an off night.  He will learn and he will get better.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 23, 2018, 08:13:48 pm
This is really the ONLY post this thread needs.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

ShadowHawg

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 23, 2018, 08:13:48 pm

He just played a very talented and experienced Big tonight.

It was an opportunity to learn. Everything I have seen from Gafford tells me he will take something good from this game and get even better.

k.c.hawg

Did him good to watch, especially in a win. He was overmatched/overwhelmed tonight. Didn't look like himself. Maybe if he could have gotten a good roll on a couple of balls that were in and around and out he might have gotten more engaged.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

snoot hoggy hog

Quote from: Gizmo on January 23, 2018, 08:02:14 pm
So, players who play a style like MVPs and multiple All-Star appearances (including all three of players named being All-Stars this year) versus a highly overrated player who will be out of the league in three years? Ok, dude.

It will be a refreshing three years to see a point guard that gets everyone involved. Say what you want he knows how to pass the freaking ball.

Wooderson

Georgia played zone a good part of the game with some good, physical inside players.  What do you expect?
Give me liberty, or give me death!

Gizmo

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on January 23, 2018, 08:44:54 pm
It will be a refreshing three years to see a point guard that gets everyone involved. Say what you want he knows how to pass the freaking ball.

Are you aware that James Harden and Russell Westbrook are ranked in the top three in assists this year? And Damian Lillard is tied for 10th? Granted, Lonzo Ball is tied for seventh in assists but not ranked in top 40 scoring. Harden, Westbrook and Lillard are all three top ten scoring and assists. So, I'm happy for you that you find Lonzo's passes refreshing.

I made a beautiful pass to my son last weekend. Behind my back, he caught it off the bounce in motion and threw it up toward the goal. He damn near hit the bottom of the net ... but I'll be darned if that wasn't an amazing pass.

TushCrush

It's more what Thompson did than what Gafford didn't do. Great coaching by Stubborn Mike.

raz1965

Gafford had his chances early in the game , he got stuffed or was defended so well he either missed or maybe even fouled with no call. Gafford will have his games , but Georgia didn't allow it tonight. Hogs win an I bet Gafford an his team is very happy.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: zebradynasty on January 23, 2018, 08:06:40 pm
EXACTLY! Tonight showed why he needs an extra year.

And that's what games like this are supposed to do... show you need another year.... he'll be back...

I could see Mike going back to Trey and with 5 srs. down the stretch...

PonderinHog

Quote from: Gizmo on January 23, 2018, 08:54:59 pm
Are you aware that James Harden and Russell Westbrook are ranked in the top three in assists this year? And Damian Lillard is tied for 10th? Granted, Lonzo Ball is tied for seventh in assists but not ranked in top 40 scoring. Harden, Westbrook and Lillard are all both top ten scoring and assists. So, I'm happy for you that you find Lonzo's passes refreshing.

I made a beautiful pass to my son last weekend. Behind my back, he caught it off the bounce in motion and threw it up toward the goal. He damn near hit the bottom of the net ... but I'll be darned if that wasn't an amazing pass.
Damn kids these days...

trok24

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on January 23, 2018, 08:44:54 pm

Seriously, did u watch the last 10 minutes ? If they passed it much more we woulda got our arse kicked in? Wow

Dominicanhog

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 23, 2018, 08:57:20 pm
Damn kids these days...

Yeah, they say the stupidest things on Hogville, don't they?

Danny J

Quote from: TushCrush on January 23, 2018, 08:55:59 pm
It's more what Thompson did than what Gafford didn't do. Great coaching by Stubborn Mike.
Yep and the same goes for Thomas over Cook and Bailey as the game started to move along...Maten just too physical for those two even with a double team

elksnort

Quote from: Danny J on January 23, 2018, 09:00:29 pm
Yep and the same goes for Thomas over Cook and Bailey as the game started to move along...Maten just too physical for those two even with a double team
which is more reason for Gafford to keep his skinny ass in college

snoot hoggy hog

I'm just saying that I have rarely seen Barford Macon or Beard give it to the big guy on a fastbreak,  nor do they work the ball down inside when he got his man posted, nor do they give it up on a pick and roll. I'm not saying that Gafford is Olajuwon but this offense could be a whole lot better than what it is.

https://twitter.com/Aaron_Torres/status/954832512139718658

In this clip Barford had four guys trailing but couldn't bring himself to pass it to one of them.

Gizmo

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on January 23, 2018, 09:16:47 pm
I'm just saying that I have rarely seen Barford Macon or Beard give it to the big guy on a fastbreak,  nor do they work the ball down inside when he got his man posted, nor do they give it up on a pick and roll. I'm not saying that Gafford is Olajuwon but this offense could be a whole lot better than what it is.

https://twitter.com/Aaron_Torres/status/954832512139718658

Dude, we won. Enjoy. It was a road win. We don't get many of those lately.

arkfan81

Quote from: Wooderson on January 23, 2018, 08:47:01 pm
Georgia played zone a good part of the game with some good, physical inside players.  What do you expect?

This, said in another post, uga post players made TT and DG look small.

(Was at the game)
Have faith...

hawkhawg

We are undefeated in all games that Gafford went scoreless in.

IndyHog46

Quote from: rljjr on January 23, 2018, 08:02:20 pm

Since when has any Mike Anderson coached player put on muscle in the off season?

Rawker

Oh I'm sorry....for a second I thought I clicked on a thread that was responding to a loss.  Silly me....I thought they won this one, but I guess I missed the part where they brought the players back out for a redo, and GA won.  Apologies.

rude1

Quote from: IndyHog46 on January 23, 2018, 10:36:27 pm
Since when has any Mike Anderson coached player put on muscle in the off season?
I know it's not on your script that you read from, but didn't DG put on 20 lbs. from his senior year in high school to his freshman year this season? Just saying.................

Nickle-Pig

Quote from: hobhog on January 23, 2018, 07:58:52 pm

WHHHAAAAAAATTTT!?!?

Mike was smart to sit him. He had 0 points. I love the guy but he isn't ready but he will probably start from now on anyway even though he is better off the bench.
Social sites are where cowards go to get a cup of courage.

NostraHOGus

Many good points made in response to this sad OP thread.

Gafford played 27 MINUTES, and his presence was valuable in a road game against Maten, the Old Man of the SEC, and the 6'11' CURLY HEAD FRESHMEN dude Claxton, who made a 3 pointer and hit 3 of 4 free throws during his 27 minutes.

There ARE times when Gafford needs a touch that he doesn't get to reward his hard work on the block, but his offensive PRESENCE ALONE is what helps our senior guards most in the pick and roll, not to mention his defensive presence.

The reverse is true when the jumpers and penetration aren't working, and a Gafford dunk or a hook shot saves the day.

And did you notice there were moments in clutch time when Gafford and Thompson WERE BOTH in the game?

Good Lord people.  Claiming there is jealousy on this team is a psychological problem that should be shared with a counselor, not with normal thinking people.

Don't be a flu virus and infect a team that still has a lot of working parts.  Cover your mouth when you cough.

hogninja

He's a very talented freshman that was getting schooled by a very talented senior. Gafford will learn from this and realize he needs more beef and time.  This is a good thing for him.  Rather than being beat down for the whole game, sit and watch.  They say that Gafford is a quick learner and will learn from this experience. ;D

la20688

Quote from: Granny fan on January 23, 2018, 07:32:04 pm
This is just ridiculous! Have you not heard how they all speak of him to the press? Did you not see Barford's and Gafford's press conference together

King Kong

UGA was staying home on Gafford. That's one of the main reasons Barford was getting to the rim so easy