Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

is it just me or do we need to get some more DE's?

Started by presidenthog, April 15, 2016, 12:20:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Seebs

Let's do the math on  two deep on every position to get to the 85 man roster.

That is a quick 44 players. Now add kickers and snappers - 51.

51 players at two deep - 73 players at three deep per position.

That gives you 12 positions to fill in the 85 remaining - on a team with five QBs and seven rb/Fbs

DE goes three deep and that should be fine as long as we recruit to keep it three deep.  So 2-3 DEs should be in this class, one from JUCO. 
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

presidenthog

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 16, 2016, 08:50:31 am
That darn coach B. Just never using his head like he should.
I guess you are right. coach B knows best. 300 lb kids can rush the passer as well. let's get 300 lb CB'S too

ricepig

Quote from: presidenthog on April 16, 2016, 10:34:32 am
I guess you are right. coach B knows best. 300 lb kids can rush the passer as well. let's get 300 lb CB'S too

What do you think we signed these 240lb LB's for, to move to DE..........

a0ashle

You guys act like CBB is sitting there wondering how he can move an all world DE to be an average TE.

1. We don't know how he was evaluated as a recruit by our staff. How much we liked his TE ability vs DE
2. We don't know how he has been evaluated since becoming a Razorback.
3. We don't know the goal or motivation of this move.
4. We don't know if it's more a matter of other players out performing as opposed to Bell under performing.

Given we don't know any of those things, and that CBB knows all of those things, I think we shouldn't worry, sit back, relax, call it what it is, "interesting", and see how it plays out.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: a0ashle on April 16, 2016, 11:02:03 am
You guys act like CBB is sitting there wondering how he can move an all world DE to be an average TE.

1. We don't know how he was evaluated as a recruit by our staff. How much we liked his TE ability vs DE
2. We don't know how he has been evaluated since becoming a Razorback.
3. We don't know the goal or motivation of this move.
4. We don't know if it's more a matter of other players out performing as opposed to Bell under performing.

Given we don't know any of those things, and that CBB knows all of those things, I think we shouldn't worry, sit back, relax, call it what it is, "interesting", and see how it plays out.
Bell was a 4* TE prospect, top 10 nationally as well. It is dumb for people to be shocked; unless they don't follow recruiting.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

PorkRinds

I guess you're right. You have a better bead on what the team needs than the actual coaches. I think you should start a change.org petition. Then coach B couldn't just ignore your professional advice.  We may just have to not use DE's. Coach B doesn't seem to get how ahead of the game you are.

MuskogeeHogFan

If we are speaking of DE's here (I thought we were anyway), the returning DE's average 271, all of the DE's including new recruits come in at 263. Take away the freshmen and they come in at 260. This isn't too big for DE's though it sounds as if you think they should weigh 245 and be able to speed rush, but not be big enough to secure the perimeter and press the run game down inside. I agree that we need more of a pass rush, but wasn't it Beanum who came on late last year to apply a lot of pressure while weighing 280? By the way, according to the latest roster he is down 10 lbs to 270.

I don't have an answer except to offer an opinion that 260-265 lb. DE's should be big enough to hold their own in run defense and quick enough to apply a pass rush. If you can find them bigger and just as capable in both areas, that's an advantage.
Go Hogs Go!

razorbacker3

They played both Winston and Wise inside last year, late in games and late in the season. This staff moves guys around to see where they may contribute more. I love that.

FANONTHEHILL

What amazes me is that people seem to think that if you move a player to another position, they are stuck there for life.  Players change positions all the time.  Not just in the spring, but in the summer, in fall camp, and during the season.  If DE becomes an issue, move Hall and Bell back next year.  If you need to move an inside player to DE, move Froholdt back to DT next year as the young OLine improves.  You get players on the field and some of these moves are experiments and attempts to keep players engaged by telling them it's a faster way to get them on the field.  Example: Taiwan Johnson was a 6'3", 240 lb rush end/outside LB and is now a 290lb nose guard.
Look at Mitch Petrus, DL, FB, & OG during his career.  Moved almost every year. Players and positions are always evolving.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Hoggish1

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on April 15, 2016, 05:32:39 am
We will need de's and I'm sure it will be addressed. You're not wrong in that. You're also not wrong in your disappointment with the Bell move. The kid is a premium talent at a premium position and Thats something we don't have a ton of. Here's hoping the TE move is just "experimental" as they indicated

It could be they making it look like they are clearing out Bell from that position (in an attempt to see who might step up) for backup purposes.  They may still have every intention of playing him a DE.

Remember, these are savvy coaches...