Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rivals is terrible

Started by scruf, March 18, 2016, 03:30:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

scruf

They've only rated 6 players from the state of Arkansas so far.

To be fair, 247, ESPN and Scout are also asleep at the wheel.

But check it out - it's not because there aren't prospects to rate either. For example: Koilan Jackson, Kirby Adcock, Montaric Brown, Cualan Williams, Jarrod Barnes, Pierre Strong and Brandon Thompson are just a few of the players (there are at least, AT LEAST, a dozen more) that Rivals hasn't rated yet that are definitely D1 material (3*+).

What are they waiting for? Junior films have been out for a few months now. Most of us would get fired for that kind of effort or, in this case, complete lack thereof.

They aren't even trying. Pitiful.

Seebs

Not being snarky - but stop reading or even clicking on the Rivals site and this lack of effort will take care if itself.  I no longer have them bookmarked and suggest you do the same.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Seebs on March 18, 2016, 03:32:01 pm
Not being snarky - but stop reading or even clicking on the Rivals site and this lack of effort will take care if itself.  I no longer have them bookmarked and suggest you do the same.
This.  The sooner Rivals dies, the better. 

All Gas, No Brakes!

The_Iceman

They lost all their talent to 247 apparently.

scruf

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 18, 2016, 04:41:27 pm
They lost all their talent to 247 apparently.

True but don't they have at least 1 guys still working within the state? If so, how do they only evaluate 6 players over the course of the last few months? Laziness, apathy, etc. Terrible.

regi

Rivals is way behind 247, Espn and Scout. 247 and ESPN, just have more resources, though, ESPN could improve their JC recruiting.

HogNDas

Rivals is taking their time and vetting the recruits, especially the in-state recruits, before they give them any *'s.....

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: HogNDas on March 18, 2016, 07:14:48 pm
Rivals is taking their time and vetting the recruits, especially the in-state recruits, before they give them any *'s.....

Dang it. I thought I had already put you in the ignore list

HogNDas

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on March 18, 2016, 07:25:42 pm
Dang it. I thought I had already put you in the ignore list
Sorry, couldn't resist.  LOL....I'll shut up now...or, at least try to!!!

PorkRinds

Quote from: HogNDas on March 18, 2016, 07:31:39 pm
Sorry, couldn't resist.  LOL....I'll shut up now...or, at least try to!!!

No you won't. And the fact that you drug your argument into yet another thread tells me you're at least attempting to troll and not actually just posting your opinion.

scruf

Quote from: HogNDas on March 18, 2016, 07:14:48 pm

Not true. They are lazy.

Case in point: Montaric Brown. He has offers from over half of the teams in the SEC-West and his junior film has been out since January. He had 110 tackles, 5 INT and 8 PBU last season. There's nothing more to vet.

All available data is in. What are they waiting for? Inexcusable.

HogNDas

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 18, 2016, 09:16:59 pm
No you won't. And the fact that you drug your argument into yet another thread tells me you're at least attempting to troll and not actually just posting your opinion.
Sorry....   :'(   I'll quit trying to be funny if you'll quit being so dang serious (and fractious as Mama would always say!).  It's all good!  WPS

Obi-Hawg Kenobi

Quote from: scruf on March 19, 2016, 02:21:28 am
Not true. They are lazy.

Case in point: Montaric Brown. He has offers from over half of the teams in the SEC-West and his junior film has been out since January. He had 110 tackles, 5 INT and 8 PBU last season. There's nothing more to vet.

All available data is in. What are they waiting for? Inexcusable.

Which makes you wonder....WHAT TOOK US SO LONG TO OFFER SOMEONE IN OUR OWN STATE? 
Hmmmmmm.....

Smh...
TRUST IN THE FORCE!!!  LET IT FLOW ALL THROUGHOUT YOU!!

ricepig

Quote from: Obi-Hawg Kenobi on March 19, 2016, 12:22:42 pm
Which makes you wonder....WHAT TOOK US SO LONG TO OFFER SOMEONE IN OUR OWN STATE? 
Hmmmmmm.....

Smh...

I know, it's absurd, because everyone always goes with their first offer........

Smdh

AirWarren

Quote from: scruf on March 18, 2016, 03:30:24 pm
They've only rated 6 players from the state of Arkansas so far.

To be fair, 247, ESPN and Scout are also asleep at the wheel.

But check it out - it's not because there aren't prospects to rate either. For example: Koilan Jackson, Kirby Adcock, Montaric Brown, Cualan Williams, Jarrod Barnes, Pierre Strong and Brandon Thompson are just a few of the players (there are at least, AT LEAST, a dozen more) that Rivals hasn't rated yet that are definitely D1 material (3*+).

What are they waiting for? Junior films have been out for a few months now. Most of us would get fired for that kind of effort or, in this case, complete lack thereof.

They aren't even trying. Pitiful.

Here is an idea. Don't get to their website if your dissatisfied.

HogNDas

Quote from: ricepig on March 19, 2016, 12:29:58 pm
I know, it's absurd, because everyone always goes with their first offer........
Smdh
Why would we NOT want to offer?  We can't get a commit w/o an offer.... I would rather get "commits" than try to rely on "flipping".....SMH too

ricepig

Quote from: HogNDas on March 19, 2016, 12:50:51 pm
Why would we NOT want to offer?  We can't get a commit w/o an offer.... I would rather get "commits" than try to rely on "flipping".....SMH too

We did offer, so, shake your damn head off, lol.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Obi-Hawg Kenobi on March 19, 2016, 12:22:42 pm
Hmmmmmm.....

Smh...
Oh golly, look who just posted the same tired old schtick they always post. Long past time to get yourself some new material. Otherwise you'll continue to offer us brain dead commentary that adds nothing to the site. But who expected anything different or better anyway ??? ::) :-X

HogNDas

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 19, 2016, 12:53:08 pm
Oh golly, look who just posted the same tired old schtick they always post. Long past time to get yourself some new material. Otherwise you'll continue to offer us brain dead commentary that adds nothing to the site. But who expected anything different or better anyway ??? ::) :-X
When the problem is remedied, maybe then it WILL become a moot point... and we can move on to new areas of concern....

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HogNDas on March 19, 2016, 12:55:55 pm
When the problem is remedied, maybe then it WILL become a moot point... and we can move on to new areas of concern....
Nah, it ain't going to happen. NOT because the problem (as you call it) might or might not be "remedied". Rather because some folks have NOTHING more or different to talk about. In other words, the more they say the less it is they really do.

HogNDas

Quote from: ricepig on March 19, 2016, 12:51:59 pm
We did offer, so, shake your damn head off, lol.
Looks like I "flipped" the thread...Let's get back to the subject at hand, "Rivals Sucks!"...   YES THEY DO!

ricepig

Quote from: HogNDas on March 19, 2016, 01:10:19 pm
Looks like I "flipped" the thread...Let's get back to the subject at hand, "Rivals Sucks!"...   YES THEY DO!

I definitely agree that they are behind at least 24/7, and in some instances ESPN.

Muskliketusk

They got a big old camp going on in Dallas today full of kids we should be keeping a eye on. Guess I shouldn't pay no attention though cuz the Arkansas sight guys can't get local kids in there data base.
Our father who art in Heaven, Razorbacks be thy name. For the games we've won and battles done, on the road as it is at home. Give us this day our weekly win and forgive us our turnovers as we defeat those that play against us. Lead us not into devastation, but deliver us a title. For thine is the program, the pride and the Hogs, Amen.

-prayer I say every gameday.

Obi-Hawg Kenobi

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 19, 2016, 12:53:08 pm
Hey Vantage!  Nice to see you too, fella!

You didn't get the memo?  Hogville is nothing but Brain Dead Commentary that adds nothing new to the site.

IT IS WHY WE ARE ALL HERE!

Isn't life grand? ;D

Obi-Hawg Kenobi

Quote from: HogNDas on March 19, 2016, 01:10:19 pm

Yea....we don't want to be the reason this thread is locked too. Lol

So let me join in..........uhh.....RIVALS SUCK!!!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Obi-Hawg Kenobi on March 19, 2016, 01:21:52 pm
Hey Vantage!  Nice to see you too, fella!

You didn't get the memo?  Hogville is nothing but Brain Dead Commentary that adds nothing new to the site.

IT IS WHY WE ARE ALL HERE!

Isn't life grand? ;D
Well here's one thing you and I can definitely agree on (and I wasn't sure I'd EVER say that): Life IS grand, and every moment a blessing to behold. Oh yeah, and Rival sucks like only a big orange (like UT) can.

whosiskid

Not gonna disagree here. Except maybe people are missing just how completely Rivals sucks. They suck BIG TIME!

Seriously, I remember when I used to go to Rivals several times each day to find out what was happening. Now I go 18 months without visiting them. Same with ESPN's recruiting site and Scout. The interest in recruiting today is higher than ever. But the sites all seem to be getting worse, except 247, which keeps coming up with little tweaks. I do think the time is ripe for a new recruiting site that introduces some new innovations.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

scruf

Quote from: AP85 on March 19, 2016, 12:35:58 pm
Here is an idea. Don't get to their website if your dissatisfied.

I'm not dissatisfied with them at all. Anyone who takes them seriously really cracks me up. They are a joke.

lefty08

I have mixed feelings about rivals. On one hand I love to play against them because it's so much more exciting. On the other hand, I hate to lose to them. Wouldn't be the same without rivals imo
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

theFlyingHog

Quote from: lefty08 on March 19, 2016, 08:27:33 pm
I have mixed feelings about rivals. On one hand I love to play against them because it's so much more exciting. On the other hand, I hate to lose to them. Wouldn't be the same without rivals imo
This. We really need some rivals. Good rivals. Too bad you can't just make some crappy trophy and have good rivals

whosiskid

Quote from: scruf on March 19, 2016, 07:08:06 pm
I'm not dissatisfied with them at all. Anyone who takes them seriously really cracks me up. They are a joke.

I wouldn't call them a joke, but I think I know what you mean. I only subscribe to 247 (after subscribing to ESPN and Rivals in the past - did a couple of months on Scout as well at one point) and Otis often has some really solid info. He gets direct access to prospects, like Richard does, but kids too often tell every one what they what they think they want to hear. What cracks me up is when there are these teasers that make it sound like a paid article is going to have all this hot info and then they merely repeat what is available everywhere else.

But at least on 247 they rarely tease an article promising a big scoop.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

jackflash

I don't care what Rivals think about Arkansas kids just what BB thinks about them

Cinco de Hogo

Dang it can't you get it through your thick skull,

Stars don't matter
Offers don't matter

What I can't figure is, if those two things don't matter what in the world is Scruf doing on a recruiting site much less getting so upset he bothers to post about insignificant things.

Wildhog

Quote from: whosiskid on March 20, 2016, 12:49:28 am
I wouldn't call them a joke, but I think I know what you mean. I only subscribe to 247 (after subscribing to ESPN and Rivals in the past - did a couple of months on Scout as well at one point) and Otis often has some really solid info. He gets direct access to prospects, like Richard does, but kids too often tell every one what they what they think they want to hear. What cracks me up is when there are these teasers that make it sound like a paid article is going to have all this hot info and then they merely repeat what is available everywhere else.

But at least on 247 they rarely tease an article promising a big scoop.

I've found that Richard and Danny West are the best around right now.  I think Danny being younger helps him connect with the kids.

Can't beat the value that Richard provides for free on HV, though.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on March 21, 2016, 09:21:43 am
I've found that Richard and Danny West are the best around right now.  I think Danny being younger helps him connect with the kids.

Can't beat the value that Richard provides for free on HV, though.

I can agree with that, I just think 24/7 is the better national service. Sometimes, I wish we'd go back to reading about the class in the paper on Thursday after NSD. It's such a dog and pony show these days.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on March 21, 2016, 09:34:19 am
I can agree with that, I just think 24/7 is the better national service. Sometimes, I wish we'd go back to reading about the class in the paper on Thursday after NSD. It's such a dog and pony show these days.

I agree that 24/7 is better nationally, but I subscribe for local information, so it's kind of a wash.
1909/1964/1965/1977

onebadrubi

Some take an approach like a Monkey, they just fling darn till something sticks.  Others try a different approach...

I feel as if anyone that brings this discussion up anymore is either a troll, a Gus lover, or new (which might mean all of the above). 

HogNDas

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 21, 2016, 10:00:40 am
Some take an approach like a Monkey, they just fling darn till something sticks.  Others try a different approach...

I feel as if anyone that brings this discussion up anymore is either a troll, a Gus lover, or new (which might mean all of the above).
You are right....just ignore things that are negative about our recruiting and only focus on the things we are doing well/correct.  If you post anything other than positive, then you are a Gus Lover (actually BP!)....

jkstock04

The problem with threads like this is there always seems to be a high correlation with the websites having our class ranked the highest with being the "best."

If rivals all the sudden had our class ranked the highest compared to the rest of the recruiting sites this mantra would change 100% and y'all know it. I've witnessed this process over the years on here.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Wildhog

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 21, 2016, 12:44:50 pm
The problem with threads like this is there always seems to be a high correlation with the websites having our class ranked the highest with being the "best."

If rivals all the sudden had our class ranked the highest compared to the rest of the recruiting sites this mantra would change 100% and y'all know it. I've witnessed this process over the years on here.

Fact.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 21, 2016, 12:44:50 pm

Nope, I use the composite rankings as my barometer, I don't ever look at the individual services score. 

jkstock04

Quote from: ricepig on March 21, 2016, 02:26:21 pm
Nope, I use the composite rankings as my barometer, I don't ever look at the individual services score. 
247 is what was "HOT" this past recruiting season. I'm not a recruiting 'expert' like everyone else who posts on here regularly is....but without even looking I would bet a C note that 247 had our class ranked the highest among all the recruiting services in this past class.

Funny how 247 also is the most popular among Hogville. Weird circumstance there huh? I honestly don't know this 100% because I haven't looked or if I did months ago I don't remember for sure. If I get zero responses to this comment then Ill know it is a correct assumption.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ricepig

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 21, 2016, 04:07:20 pm
247 is what was "HOT" this past recruiting season. I'm not a recruiting 'expert' like everyone else who posts on here regularly is....but without even looking I would bet a C note that 247 had our class ranked the highest among all the recruiting services in this past class.

Funny how 247 also is the most popular among Hogville. Weird circumstance there huh? I honestly don't know this 100% because I haven't looked or if I did months ago I don't remember for sure. If I get zero responses to this comment then Ill know it is a correct assumption.

I have no idea, I only look at 24/7's composite rankings. You'd owe money too, ESPN had us the highest on a quick search.

factchecker

You do realize that most people use 247's COMPOSITE rankings because it takes the average of multiple services to determine where the player ranks:

QuoteThe 247Composite Rating is a proprietary algorithm that compiles prospect "rankings" and "ratings" listed in the public domain by the major media recruiting services. It converts average industry ranks and ratings into a linear composite index capping at 1.0000, which indicates a consensus No. 1 prospect across all services.

http://247sports.com/Article/247Composite-rankings-and-ratings-debut-on-247Sports-82814

It's the only fair service to use. 

On the other hand, I've seen some posters use different services, whichever supports their agenda, to paint our recruiting in the most negative light. 

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

QuoteI'm not a recruiting 'expert' like everyone else who posts on here regularly is....but without even looking I would bet a C note that 247 had our class ranked the highest among all the recruiting services in this past class.

http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

247 composite ranking: 25   
247 ranking: 25

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/classRankings?wjb

ESPN ranking:  24

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

scruf

I'm completely uninterested in which service ranks Arkansas' classes the highest but I am interested in a service, ANY service, that actually takes the time to evaluate ANY in-state class of high school players.

ricepig

Quote from: scruf on March 22, 2016, 02:30:06 pm
I'm completely uninterested in which service ranks Arkansas' classes the highest but I am interested in a service, ANY service, that actually takes the time to evaluate ANY in-state class of high school players.

Well, I'm not real sure how much they do in evaluating in-state kids, or what exactly that consists of. I remember reading about certain "national" guys evaluating BA or AA, but how much they, or even our in-state guys actually watch, would be interesting to know.

scruf

Quote from: ricepig on March 22, 2016, 02:45:24 pm
Well, I'm not real sure how much they do in evaluating in-state kids, or what exactly that consists of. I remember reading about certain "national" guys evaluating BA or AA, but how much they, or even our in-state guys actually watch, would be interesting to know.

Couldn't agree more.

Deep Shoat

You make this same, ignorant argument about everything.  And you are wrong all the time. 

"247 is most popular on Hogville because they rank us higher".  "Everyone loves the coach until he is gone then everyone attacks him."  Wrong on both counts.  People like 247 because they obviously put more effort into assessment of players.  And people don't like Bobby and Dale because Bobby and Dale crapped all over our beloeved football program.

All Gas, No Brakes!