Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SDS: Arkansas Defense Will Be Just As Good As Last Year

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, June 25, 2015, 05:56:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Taiwan Johnson should be a fine approximation of Philon as an interior pass rusher. JaMichael Winston, Tevin Beanum, Deatrich Wise Jr. and Ledbetter can't match Flowers, but collectively, Arkansas' defensive ends could be even better this fall. Certainly such a deep rotation will keep those players fresh well into the second half of SEC games in November, when big offensive lines often try to demoralize opponents in the running game.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/arkansas-defense-will-be-as-good-in-2015/
Go Hogs Go!

HOGINTENNESSEE

This is the case it's going to be a fun year to be a fan.

Steef

We lost three super stars up front.

But the overall defense will be so improved this year, it won't need a super star.

Defense won't be a problem. Any question marks I might have, Would all be in the offense.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: steefhog on June 25, 2015, 06:27:03 am
We lost three super stars up front.

But the overall defense will be so improved this year, it won't need a super star.

Defense won't be a problem. Any question marks I might have, Would all be in the offense.

Then there is this...

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/projecting-secs-top-5-run-offenses-2015/
Go Hogs Go!

Hog N Bama

Finally, a reporter that actually did some homework. Thanks Muskogee! :razorback:

gmarv

thanks Muskogee for the link.of course we gotta prove it on the field but I think were gonna be good on both sides of the ball.gonna be a fun year.

MissippHog

But, but the Great American Sports Network picked us to finish 6th in the West.  ;)

RazorWhacker

Quote from: MissippHog on June 25, 2015, 07:35:47 am
But, but the Great American Sports Network picked us to finish 6th in the West.  ;)

Who?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on June 25, 2015, 06:21:22 am
This is the case it's going to be a fun year to be a fan.

If both units can be more productive at key times, we will win more games this year than last. how many more? I'm not sure but I would hope 3 to 4.
Go Hogs Go!

hog.goblin

I'm not concerned about the DL but the LB core.  Better DL will help them, but we are thin, and Ellis plays his heart out, which is why he's missed several games during his two years.  If he misses time, we definitely will have some inexperience at LB.

Then again, they could step and play lights out.

But that's my main area of concern for this team.

scruf

New stars will emerge. They always do. Who could've predicted what Spaight would end up doing in 2014 this time last year?

The NewEra

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 25, 2015, 08:39:08 am
If both units can be more productive at key times, we will win more games this year than last. how many more? I'm not sure but I would hope 3 to 4.

What's most exciting this year is this team could be REALLY, REALLY GOOD, or we could only get to seven wins again.  I tend to lean toward the Really Good camp because I think the depth on defense and the improvement in the secondary will keep us from losing game we did in the past.  Offensively it sets up real well for us with the returning talent.  The key to being Really Good there is can Dan Enos keep the opposition off balance with a balanced attack and timely play calling? 

This may be the season where we see how beneficial it is to have high character, high quality young men in the program and how strongly the influence of family unity can relate to the football field.

I'm very optimistic, but then again I'm a Hog Homer!

The NewEra

Quote from: The NewEra on June 25, 2015, 10:17:19 am
What's most exciting this year is this team could be REALLY, REALLY GOOD, or we could only get to seven wins again.  I tend to lean toward the Really Good camp because I think the depth on defense and the improvement in the secondary will keep us from losing game we did in the past.  Offensively it sets up real well for us with the returning talent.  The key to being Really Good there is can Dan Enos keep the opposition off balance with a balanced attack and timely play calling? 

This may be the season where we see how beneficial it is to have high character, high quality young men in the program and how strongly the influence of family unity can translate to the football field.

I'm very optimistic, but then again I'm a Hog Homer!

Theolesnort

I will say it again, the strength of this team will be the defense and it will be much better than last years. It will be up to Enos and the offense if and when this team moves up to close to being elite.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

The NewEra

Quote from: Theolesnort on June 25, 2015, 10:28:36 am
I will say it again, the strength of this team will be the defense and it will be much better than last years. It will be up to Enos and the offense if and when this team moves up to close to being elite.

I couldn't agree more!

PonderinHog

Quote from: Theolesnort on June 25, 2015, 10:28:36 am
I will say it again, the strength of this team will be the defense and it will be much better than last years.
I agree that the strength of this year's team will be the defense, but I also think that the pleasant surprise of this year's team will be the offense.  I love surprises...  :razorback:

supersaint

There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

PonderinHog

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 25, 2015, 04:57:09 pm
Johnson will make our defense, one way or the other.

Oh, well duh. Thanks for the assist. What in the sam-hill was I thinking?  :)

I will say however, that while I expect that he will be a significant competitor, I think we are going to get another surprise by the middle of the season as to who else is contributing, and very significantly.

Remember when everyone got excited about Spaight when he showed up as a Jr. and everyone was talking about other players getting "Spaighted"? And then he spent a pretty quiet Jr. year that led no one to believe that he would be an NFL draft choice.

But then out of nowhere (for us) the 2014 season happened and he ramped up his production to the point of becoming the SEC's leading tackler.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see someone else (or maybe more than one, two, three, four, seven) step up and elevate their production in 2015. The media called the combination of Flowers, Philon and Spaight "the Iron Triangle". In 2015 I think we will see "defense by committee", where there may not be as many who elevate themselves to star status as individuals, but as a group they may elevate the entire defense to "star status".
Go Hogs Go!

The NewEra

Bo Mattingly had a good interview with Rob Smith during his show today. You should be able to catch that interview when his podcast is released later this evening.

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: The NewEra on June 25, 2015, 05:36:20 pm
Bo Mattingly had a good interview with Rob Smith during his show today. You should be able to catch that interview when his podcast is released later this evening.

Listening to the replay now... Great interview.

And keep your eye on your luggage!

Wooo Pig!! :razorback:

Hawgzinbowlz

With the talent/experience of the secondary and our depth on the DL, the biggest question mark is the talent/chemistry of the LB corp. If the linebackers stay healthy I think we'll be solid, and better than '14. Khalia Hackett has reportedly followed the example Martrell set last year when MS would film study relentlessly.
Our offense will be efficient and effective.
We have a tough schedule...as is usual in the SEC West and we should compete in every game.

" WOO PIG "