Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Texas AD problems?

Started by 1HourToHogville, June 18, 2015, 12:41:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: 1HourToHogville on June 18, 2015, 12:41:22 pm
http://www.scout.com/college/texas/story/1556266-hd-exclusive-ad-patterson-facing-heat

Makes you want to cry, so sad  ;)

Sounds familiar.  We heard stuff just like this when Long showed all of the Good Ol' Boys the exit post-Broyles. 

The only thing the rich and powerful truly hate is the sound of a human voice saying "no."
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on June 18, 2015, 12:51:17 pm
Sounds familiar.  We heard stuff just like this when Long showed all of the Good Ol' Boys the exit post-Broyles. 

The only thing the rich and powerful truly hate is the sound of a human voice saying "no."

That voice didn't belong to Jeff Long it belonged to Bobby Petrino and he is no longer here, probably like Patterson won't be at Texas long if the article holds any truth.

You didn't read the article if that's your take away.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Karma on June 18, 2015, 01:35:43 pm
You didn't read the article if that's your take away.

Look, Patterson sounds like a first class jerk, no doubt.  But the big money donors and Dodds and Powers were thick; now those big money guys have found themselves out in the cold.  Think they're just going to hang out there without a fight?

No big time AD is going to get fired over women's tennis.  Certainly not at a place like Texas.  That's like the cafeteria director getting fired over the sporks.

It's no accident that AD's like Patterson are focusing so much on revenue.  For starters, it's a more predictable source of income than donations.  But more importantly, the growth of these revenue streams means that AD's aren't as nearly at the mercy of the whims of a small group of rich guys anymore.  The influx of television and other revenue streams have empowered AD's and made them independent in ways they couldn't even dream of 20 years ago.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

1HourToHogville

The grumbling from some fans is not what would concern me. The relationship between the head coaches and AD is what will drive change. If Charlie Strong and Shaka don't get the support needed from the AD in recruiting and staffing, bigger donors and regents will hear about.  Sounds like the struggle has started.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on June 18, 2015, 02:23:13 pm
Look, Patterson sounds like a first class jerk, no doubt.  But the big money donors and Dodds and Powers were thick; now those big money guys have found themselves out in the cold.  Think they're just going to hang out there without a fight?

No big time AD is going to get fired over women's tennis.  Certainly not at a place like Texas.  That's like the cafeteria director getting fired over the sporks.

It's no accident that AD's like Patterson are focusing so much on revenue.  For starters, it's a more predictable source of income than donations.  But more importantly, the growth of these revenue streams means that AD's aren't as nearly at the mercy of the whims of a small group of rich guys anymore.  The influx of television and other revenue streams have empowered AD's and made them independent in ways they couldn't even dream of 20 years ago.
i don't know about that. i bet the alumni at ut get that bozo out within 2 years.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

ballz2thewall

you make a very good point here about revenue sources; donations versus operational.  this is particularly true at texas, which has a political system that is very different than most any other state in this country [yes; louisiana is a boy scout compared to texas].

it is this very twisted political system in texas that the old AD fought, and had to embrace. mack brown was in part a casualty of it. the new AD, patterson, is likely attempting to find life beyond his solar system of usual funding.
The rest of the frog.

go hogues

Great points.

However, I think a lot of it has to do with the continued drop in value the Texas brand carries. I live in Texas and all you see anymore is A&M stuff. You may see Longhorn metallic decals on cars but no one really wears their apparel like they did when we moved here a few years ago. By contrast, Aggie stuff is EVERYWHERE. Billboards, apparel, stickers on cars, etc.
UT athletics has kind of lost its way and one way for the wounded minions to display their hurt is by lashing out at the AD (who, like you say, sounds like a jerk but then again, that description fits most UT boosters I know).
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

thirrdegreetusker

Interesting insight. Probably a lot of truth to that.

Hawghiggs

All we ever hear is that College sports is big business. Just that paying the help can't be tolerated and nickeling the coaches over a $10 lunch is going overboard. 

Rzbakfromwaybak

June 18, 2015, 10:54:54 pm #11 Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 11:08:25 pm by Rzbakfromwaybak
In my opinion, Patterson won't last long.  If only half of the things listed in this article are accurate, this guy is a disaster.  10,000 Texas season football tickets not being renewed next year?  Lying about the price increase in tickets, telling the head coaches in all sports they are going to have to raise money for their sport, etc.  Canceling meeting's with donors that he is asking for $2million....& then telling them he can only give them 15 minutes?? Too many dumb things to list them all. Has he done anything right? This guy sounds like a stupid politician, that after being elected....can do anything he wants without any regard for the people that elected him.  He has made too many enemies very quickly, & is evidently not very honest...or smart.  He is hurting their athletic dept. & the coaches. That certainly won't work at Texas. He's in the wrong position, at the wrong place. 

Well, Texas hired him.....it's their problem.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

RazorWhacker

Quote from the article:

Blah blah blah, Texas sucks, blah blah blah, wah wah wah my putty hurts, wah wah wah.

Good enough for those arrogant bastages.

Rison Razor Hog

Quote from: RazorWhacker on June 18, 2015, 11:46:53 pm
Quote from the article:

Blah blah blah, Texas sucks, blah blah blah, wah wah wah my putty hurts, wah wah wah.

Good enough for those arrogant bastages.

This, lol. :)

If even half this stuff is true, this guy is probably greatly damaging their programs. It couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of fellows! ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown::
And on my deathbed, I'll achieve total consciousness, so I've got that goin' for me!

To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin: Billions for defense, but not one cent for dhimmitude!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: DLUXHOG on June 18, 2015, 11:01:20 pm
You have got to be sh*tting me that you really believe this.....

I don't have to believe it I know it's true.  What Hogvillle believes is sometimes pretty funny to me.  Petrino ruffled the feathers of some mighty men(in their own minds) Long only ruffles the feathers of the little man just wanting a ticket to a game he can't afford to go to anyway.

There is nothing going on at Arkansas that in any way resembles what is going on at Texas and that was my point.  I'd like to know exactly what information you have that proves otherwise. 

Geez!!!  What some people think!

Cinco de Hogo

I think the poster you quoted was referring to your comparison to Long.  Long has and has never had a problem with The Razorback Foundation.  They have nixed a couple of his coach selections and that is just about it, and that was several years ago.

My point was that Petrino was the one that wouldn't do the touchy freely stuff with the big donors, and that is why he didn't have the support to overcome his mishap.  Long doesn't have any of those problems even though he has made some questionable move also.

And that's not me dishing him it's been discussed on this board many times.  But like I said in a previous post most of that is coming from us nobodies.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on June 19, 2015, 06:35:39 am
I don't have to believe it I know it's true.  What Hogvillle believes is sometimes pretty funny to me.  Petrino ruffled the feathers of some mighty men(in their own minds) Long only ruffles the feathers of the little man just wanting a ticket to a game he can't afford to go to anyway.

There is nothing going on at Arkansas that in any way resembles what is going on at Texas and that was my point.  I'd like to know exactly what information you have that proves otherwise. 

Geez!!!  What some people think!

Every new boss anywhere usually comes in and starts to do some things different. I know a few boosters. A couple of big ones and others. Long came in made some changes and did indeed ruffle a few feathers of some of them. However theses guys were smart enough to let him do his thing his way and give him a chance. The majority eventually came around to his way of doing things. Same as the little guy.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hoggish1

Quote from: 1HourToHogville on June 18, 2015, 12:41:22 pm
http://www.scout.com/college/texas/story/1556266-hd-exclusive-ad-patterson-facing-heat

Makes you want to cry, so sad  ;)

Nice article. Thanks.

College sports as a "business" is going down a dark, dead end, road...

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Sounds nothing like Long... This guy is a Johnson...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 19, 2015, 06:52:52 am
Every new boss anywhere usually comes in and starts to do some things different. I know a few boosters. A couple of big ones and others. Long came in made some changes and did indeed ruffle a few feathers of some of them. However theses guys were smart enough to let him do his thing his way and give him a chance. The majority eventually came around to his way of doing things. Same as the little guy.

It impossible to do any thing without ruffling a "couple" feathers but I have never read or heard of anything connected to Long that even comes close to what is in that article.  That is my contention and the problem I had with the original post I'm referring to.

Some people in Alabame grumble about Saban, go figure.

ricepig

Just think if Long had our season ticket prices at these levels.

Teams often used funny math when they announce % ticket prices have gone up. Looks like @ChipBrownHD caught Texas http://t.co/waT4tyJOD3

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on June 19, 2015, 06:41:55 am
I think the poster you quoted was referring to your comparison to Long.  Long has and has never had a problem with The Razorback Foundation.  They have nixed a couple of his coach selections and that is just about it, and that was several years ago.

My point was that Petrino was the one that wouldn't do the touchy freely stuff with the big donors, and that is why he didn't have the support to overcome his mishap.  Long doesn't have any of those problems even though he has made some questionable move also.

And that's not me dishing him it's been discussed on this board many times.  But like I said in a previous post most of that is coming from us nobodies.

Yes Long did indeed have a problem with SOME at the Foundation. I know someone on the board of the Foundation. There were some interesting discussions among higher ups in the Foundation. However as I said for most of them they were willing to give him a chance. ALL AD's have to deal with big boosters and fund raising and support arms such as our Foundation. Some people welcome change and others don't. Just like any personnel change some didn't like the new ways of doing things and thus thought Long wouldn't stay very long and some welcomed the changes and hoped he would. I know some of both persuasions. What interesting is the some people think boosters always agree on everything and they disagree just like everyone else. The difference is their disagreements can create bigger waves.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hoggish1 on June 19, 2015, 06:54:29 am
Nice article. Thanks.

College sports as a "business" is going down a dark, dead end, road...

No it isn't. It is simply trying to adapt to the changing times just like all businesses and organizations have to.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 19, 2015, 07:11:27 am
Yes Long did indeed have a problem with SOME at the Foundation. I know someone on the board of the Foundation. There were some interesting discussions among higher ups in the Foundation. However as I said for most of them they were willing to give him a chance. ALL AD's have to deal with big boosters and fund raising and support arms such as our Foundation. Some people welcome change and others don't. Just like any personnel change some didn't like the new ways of doing things and thus thought Long wouldn't stay very long and some welcomed the changes and hoped he would. I know some of both persuasions. What interesting is the some people think boosters always agree on everything and they disagree just like everyone else. The difference is their disagreements can create bigger waves.

So are you agreeing with NaturalStsteReb's post or are we just talking about semantics?

"Sounds familiar.  We heard stuff just like this when Long showed all of the Good Ol' Boys the exit post-Broyles. 

The only thing the rich and powerful truly hate is the sound of a human voice saying "no.""

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on June 19, 2015, 07:18:34 am
So are you agreeing with NaturalStsteReb's post or are we just talking about semantics?

"Sounds familiar.  We heard stuff just like this when Long showed all of the Good Ol' Boys the exit post-Broyles. 

The only thing the rich and powerful truly hate is the sound of a human voice saying "no.""

A lot of what he said is correct I believe. However the part about showing the GOB's the exist isn't. They are still around. They just are dealing with a different AD with a different way of doing things. They do not have as much "operational" control they had previously. Nobody likes to be told "no". You don't have to be rich and powerful for that. Besides it also depends on what you are being told "no" about. Don't also assume that all booster and GOB's always agree on things either. They don't and they sometimes disagree vehemently.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 19, 2015, 07:55:11 am
A lot of what he said is correct I believe. However the part about showing the GOB's the exist isn't. They are still around. They just are dealing with a different AD with a different way of doing things. They do not have as much "operational" control they had previously. Nobody likes to be told "no". You don't have to be rich and powerful for that. Besides it also depends on what you are being told "no" about. Don't also assume that all booster and GOB's always agree on things either. They don't and they sometimes disagree vehemently.

See, he made two statements and I can't agree with either.  There was a lot of "stuff" in that article so to blindly say "sounds familiar" is way too broad a statement.  And 100% that GOB group is still there and active.  I would like to know who was shown the door.

We know the rich and powerful said no to Long on a couple coaches and we know Long could have lost us CVH when he said no to him but it all cooled down pretty quick so I would say they came to an agreement pretty quickly and in a civil manner.

That doesn't seem to be the case at Texas, seem to be escalating.

WilsonHog

The paradigm has changed. The days of promoting the most successful coach on campus to AD are long gone and never to return. AD is a business and marketing position now.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Tom Bennett on June 19, 2015, 08:24:28 am
The paradigm has changed. The days of promoting the most successful coach on campus to AD are long gone and never to return. AD is a business and marketing position now.

Truth as is the post about universities getting the bulk of their money from the Media outlets and not being do tied to the big donors anymore.

Don't know if in the end it will be good for athletics though as the people that are simply interested in athletics give up and let go what will these CEO do to College sports.

Good question.

HogWall Jackson

I don't feel sorry for Texas, never have, never will.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on June 19, 2015, 08:41:58 am
Truth as is the post about universities getting the bulk of their money from the Media outlets and not being do tied to the big donors anymore.

Don't know if in the end it will be good for athletics though as the people that are simply interested in athletics give up and let go what will these CEO do to College sports.

Good question.

The media dollars do not go to the support arms like the Foundation. No matter what they still cannot operate without those donations. The expenses go up with the revenue so it is almost a zero sum game with increased media money. For example: Who do you think pays the lions share of coaches salaries? Hint...........It isn't the athletic department and it's not media money.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on June 19, 2015, 06:41:55 am

I don't think Long has any problem working over boosters, but Long did curtail access that some of them had.  Not long after Long got hired and GOBN ended up more out than in, we heard some of the same type of grumbling. 

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 19, 2015, 07:55:11 am

I didn't mean to say that there were no big time donors any more when I said that about the exits.  Only that the big time donors weren't going to be in operational control of the athletic department anymore.  They're still involved, but they're not calling the shots the way they used to.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on June 19, 2015, 11:14:34 am
I didn't mean to say that there were no big time donors any more when I said that about the exits.  Only that the big time donors weren't going to be in operational control of the athletic department anymore.  They're still involved, but they're not calling the shots the way they used to.

Correct.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on June 19, 2015, 08:19:55 am
See, he made two statements and I can't agree with either.  There was a lot of "stuff" in that article so to blindly say "sounds familiar" is way too broad a statement.  And 100% that GOB group is still there and active.  I would like to know who was shown the door.

We know the rich and powerful said no to Long on a couple coaches and we know Long could have lost us CVH when he said no to him but it all cooled down pretty quick so I would say they came to an agreement pretty quickly and in a civil manner.

That doesn't seem to be the case at Texas, seem to be escalating.

First, I don't really believe that all of that stuff is completely true.  If it was, we'd be hearing about it from somewhere else, not just an internet blog.  And Texas internet blogs have a certain history of, shall we say, slanted reportage, a la the Chipster.  I'm not sure how much of it I would really believe, to be honest.

Like Long, Patterson is following a fixture at Texas.  Dodds was from the old school, and big time donors had access.  Patterson isn't one of those guys, and it looks like he's curtailing access.  That creates complaining, just like it did when Long started doing the same thing in Fayetteville.  Patterson sounds like a jerk, Long isn't. 

I explained about the exits above.  Big time donors are still around, sure.  But they're not calling the shots the way they used to.

Patterson's changing things in what is probably the most entrenched place in college athletics.  He's going to make the people who were used to having it their own way mad, and I think that's fueling most of what we're reading there, to the extent that any of it is true.

I think the question is whether Patterson ends up like Long after the transition, or he ends up like Dave Brandon at Michigan--an incredibly alienating dollar chaser.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on June 19, 2015, 11:21:43 am
First, I don't really believe that all of that stuff is completely true.  If it was, we'd be hearing about it from somewhere else, not just an internet blog.  And Texas internet blogs have a certain history of, shall we say, slanted reportage, a la the Chipster.  I'm not sure how much of it I would really believe, to be honest.

Like Long, Patterson is following a fixture at Texas.  Dodds was from the old school, and big time donors had access.  Patterson isn't one of those guys, and it looks like he's curtailing access.  That creates complaining, just like it did when Long started doing the same thing in Fayetteville.  Patterson sounds like a jerk, Long isn't. 

I explained about the exits above.  Big time donors are still around, sure.  But they're not calling the shots the way they used to.

Patterson's changing things in what is probably the most entrenched place in college athletics.  He's going to make the people who were used to having it their own way mad, and I think that's fueling most of what we're reading there, to the extent that any of it is true.

I think the question is whether Patterson ends up like Long after the transition, or he ends up like Dave Brandon at Michigan--an incredibly alienating dollar chaser.

Correct again. It took a little while for some (me included) to warm up to Long and recognize he wasn't a jerk. It was simply time to change methods and in todays athletic world it's a good thing we did. I don't know if at a place like Texas IF they will give him that time to prove otherwise or if he really is the jerk they think he is. With the size and the nature of the program they've had in Austin for such a long time it will be much more difficult and the AD there will have to maneuver through more land-mines for lack of a better way to describe it. Maybe he can and maybe he can't. We will fine out.