Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DB looking for the ball

Started by LRRandy, June 17, 2015, 08:05:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LRRandy

There is talk quite often about defensive backs not turning to look for the ball while in coverage. I ran across this opposing coaching philosophy and found it interesting.

"Since I started writing at TKP, the one technique question that I get more than any other is "Why do the Virginia Tech defensive backs not turn around and find the football?" I posed the question to Virginia Tech defensive backs coach Torrian Gray at the recent Northern Virginia Hokie Club Chalk Talk, and Gray indicated that he felt looking back for the ball caused the cover man to lose a step. Losing a step created separation that allowed the receiver to make the play."

This is from a Virginia tech blog The Key Play.

Another viewpoint I suppose.
This is fun, isn't it.

thirrdegreetusker

That particular technique has also puzzled me. But, since lots of good teams do it, I figured there was a sound reason.

The old "faceguarding" penalty has probably been modified, too. 

carolinahogger

Makes perfect sense.  In fact, if you are running an out and up that is exactly what you want the DB to do.

jgphillips3

If you don't trust your DB, that makes perfect sense.  However, not turning for the ball takes away virtually all opportunity for the interception which, when you run an offense like ours, could be a game changer.

The_Iceman

This is true. I played DB and I didn't turn around until the last possible second. If the receiver gets by you, its a lot easier to catch up when you are looking at the WR and running hard. If you have your head turned, there is no way you will be able to close the gap.

The key is timing. When you see the WR look like he is about to make a play for the ball, then you turn and find the ball.

Jek Tono Porkins

Looking for the ball is a big part of avoiding a PI penalty. If the DB isn't looking for the ball, pretty much any contact is going to be flagged for PI. If he is looking for the ball, he can get away with a lot more contact because it can be argued that he is trying to make a play on the ball.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

theFlyingHog

I can handle not looking for the ball if the DB reads the receiver. You can still get a hand in there

OTTER

Quote from: The_Iceman on June 17, 2015, 09:34:28 am
This is true. I played DB and I didn't turn around until the last possible second. If the receiver gets by you, its a lot easier to catch up when you are looking at the WR and running hard. If you have your head turned, there is no way you will be able to close the gap.

The key is timing. When you see the WR look like he is about to make a play for the ball, then you turn and find the ball.
This!!!  Thank you sir.  Being able to "read" a receiver, is what makes a good to great DB.  We are beginning to see some Hog DBs that can do just that.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

jgphillips3

Perfectly said.  The key is timing.  If the DB has done his film study and watches the receiver for cues, then he should be able to time it well.

woodrow hog call

Turning your head at the wrong second, or spilt second, lets the ball go right by untouched and unseen. A lot of coaches want the DB to go right through the receivers hands, as the ball is being caught, on a deep route where the defender is running with his back to the QB.
That's why it's funny to hear people complain about a player not doing something they think he should be doing, he may in fact doing exactly as he is coached.

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Cinco de Hogo

So what do you do when you are coached to stay ten yards away from the reciever as it seemed our DB's were in the past.

Look for the ball and hope it's closer to you than the reciever.  Oh well! ;)

To the point, I've seen players get burned playing either way to know there is no easy answer.  As someone mentioned, film study is probably very important.  However the skills of the opposing players can't alway be masked with scheme.

Swineasaur

I never played much man coverage as saftey. 2 deep zone with one guy to cover was the closest to man coverage I got. Always waited for the receivers eyes and hands. Eyes get big hands go up means the balls is coming.

PaintballHog

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on June 17, 2015, 10:19:28 am
Looking for the ball is a big part of avoiding a PI penalty. If the DB isn't looking for the ball, pretty much any contact is going to be flagged for PI. If he is looking for the ball, he can get away with a lot more contact because it can be argued that he is trying to make a play on the ball.

ding ding ding

hawginbigd1

It seems the last decade or so DB's play more through the receivers eyes and hands than in the past. This seems like a logical concept as the eyes let you know the ball is approaching and getting through the receivers hands makes catching the ball very difficult.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: woodrow hog call on June 17, 2015, 01:34:14 pm
Turning your head at the wrong second, or spilt second, lets the ball go right by untouched and unseen. A lot of coaches want the DB to go right through the receivers hands, as the ball is being caught, on a deep route where the defender is running with his back to the QB.
That's why it's funny to hear people complain about a player not doing something they think he should be doing, he may in fact doing exactly as he is coached.

I have seen lots of instances, in televised games or highlights, in which the DB turns his head just as the ball passes over his other shoulder, the WR makes the catch, and the DB is "WTH?"

MuskogeeHogFan

This. Good WR's will look back towards the ball causing the DB to look back and then make another cut or boost speed just before the reception. It's cat and mouse. The better CB's learn by watching their opponents on film and learn their tendencies that helps them know the correct time to look back.
Go Hogs Go!

Pig in the Pokey

EXACTLY!!! +1
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

hawgwild child

I was taught u turn your head when the receivers eyes get big, we didn't run a lot of man coverage and as funny as that sounds that's what we were taught.  Man coverage is the hardest thing to in football IMO

redeye

This is the excuse I've always head, but how many great DB's can you name who don't turn?  You may be able to name some, but when I watch LSU, Alabama or other teams with great backfields, I always notice them turning toward the ball.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: hawgwild child on June 17, 2015, 07:47:41 pm
I was taught u turn your head when the receivers eyes get big, we didn't run a lot of man coverage and as funny as that sounds that's what we were taught.  Man coverage is the hardest thing to in football IMO

Our HS secondary was just the opposite. We excelled at man coverage. However, when attempting even the simplest form of zone, the result resembled a combined Keystone Cops and Benny Hill episode.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

PonderinHog

You have to at least take a peek after a couple of seconds.

Junkyard Hog

I understand not turning around for the most part EXCEPT in the end zone.  They can't go much further.  Once you get to the back, they can have all the extra steps they want.

havok

I will say.. last season I saw our DB's actually looking back to find the ball more often than I've seen our DB's do it in the last 10-15 years.

However, with the Interference penalty being 15 years instead of a Spot foul.. I'd say the emphasis on the defense leans more toward, just don't let them score at any cost mindset.

jkstock04

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on June 17, 2015, 10:19:28 am
This....we've seen it a million times. The DB running blindly after the WR...never turning around thus getting the shielding/pass interference penalty...when if he just would've turned around he prob could've made the interception. I'll take the scheme of turning and making a play on the ball any day vs the shielding penalty.

Last season I noticed our DBs making plays on the ball unlike I've seen in a long time with the Hogs.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hawgfan4life

Great DBs turn and look because they are great DBs and put them self in the proper relationship to the WR and their ability allow them to turn.

DB is simple.  Look through the WR to the QB if possible.

Turn and look for the ball when a WR is in your pocket, you have physical contact giving you a Kinesthetics sense where he is and you can maintain this relationship.
Never look when you are chasing with your back to the QB until you close and regain position.

Play eyes and hands when you can't turn.

wholehog92

If you are struggling to cover the WR, you can't look back because you will get beat deep.  If you are in good position, you can turn and look and still make the tackle if you can't stop the ball.

order of importance:
1.  Don't get beat deep
1A.  Make the tackle immediately if the ball is caught
2.  Don't give the QB space to throw
3.  Don't let the ball arrive
4.  Interception

1, 1A, and 2 are all hampered by looking back and a poor choice if you are not in position.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

hawgfan4life

Quote from: wholehog92 on June 19, 2015, 09:02:51 am
If you are struggling to cover the WR, you can't look back because you will get beat deep.  If you are in good position, you can turn and look and still make the tackle if you can't stop the ball.

order of importance:
1.  Don't get beat deep
1A.  Make the tackle immediately if the ball is caught
2.  Don't give the QB space to throw
3.  Don't let the ball arrive
4.  Interception

1, 1A, and 2 are all hampered by looking back and a poor choice if you are not in position.

My order of importance:

DO NOT GET BEAT DEEP!

DO NOT FORGET PREVIOUS ITEM!  IT IS THE ONLY ONE OF GREAT IMPORTANCE!

Kidding!  Nice list and you definitly nailed the first one on the list.  I have literally screamed that at players, the TV, my wife, the dog, and the plants on the back porch 1,000s of times the last 25 years.

Josh Goforth

Some of the schemes that Arkansas ran in the past and many teams still use have a trail technique. In that scheme the defender plays where they are in position to play a quick comeback or out route with help over the top. Many of the big plays we see with a guy trailing and not looking for the ball are the result of an absent or late rotating safety.