Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rank the Hogs QB

Started by bruisemeister, June 16, 2015, 02:53:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: MJ2 on June 16, 2015, 08:57:13 am
Good listing, however Mallett had both coaching and skilled players around him.  MJ had to do it all and basically had to overcome coaching.   MJ is tops.
there can only one #1 and that's Mallett...he's the only one on the list to legitimately win a starting position in the NFL...Ryan will get his big shot at Houston this coming season and if he performs, the Texans might push the Cowboys at being named the best football team in Texas
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

mhsbc59

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on June 16, 2015, 09:29:27 am
Mallet
Stoerner
Lunney
Wilson
MJ (great talent, entertaining to watch, made everybody around him worse, Would never have played QB for Broyles, Holtz, Ford, Petrino or CBB)
BA
Mustain (undefeated but short career)

Rest were irrelevant.

My thoughts as well.  MJ gets a pass by many but not from me. For as many games as he won he lost just as many.  But i have person reasons to not like him as well.
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

Hoginsavga

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on June 16, 2015, 12:06:07 pm
True; I intended to exaggerate.

But if BM had been injured, Joe Ferguson would have stepped in. What do you think the team's record would have been in '69 and '70 with Joe starting?

Fewer wins? No. More? Probably.

If I recall correctly, game of the century, we are down 15-14, Hogs driving late, ball in FG range, HOG AA kicker waiting...........BM threw an int.

My memory may be failing but at that stage of the game i think BM threw a completion in TX territory and the receiver fumbled the ball when hit and TX recovered. I could be wrong but that's how I remember it.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Hoginsavga on June 17, 2015, 08:05:36 am

But if BM had been injured, Joe Ferguson would have stepped in. What do you think the team's record would have been in '69 and '70 with Joe starting?

If I recall correctly, game of the century, we are down 15-14, Hogs driving late, ball in FG range, HOG AA kicker waiting...........BM threw an int.

My memory may be failing but at that stage of the game i think BM threw a completion in TX territory and the receiver fumbled the ball when hit and TX recovered. I could be wrong but that's how I remember it.

Wiki say:

James Street scrambled for a touchdown on the first play of the fourth quarter. Longhorns coach Darrell Royal had decided before the game to go for two after the Longhorns' first touchdown to avoid a tie, and Street dove into the end zone to make it 14–8. This was an unusual decision since most teams would have delayed the decision for a two-point conversion until the next touchdown (though clearly mathematically correct, since this would have given the Longhorns a later chance to tie in case of a failed two-point try).

Arkansas quarterback Bill Montgomery next led the Razorbacks on a 73-yard drive down to the Texas 7. On third down, Montgomery was intercepted in the end zone by Danny Lester, Arkansas' first turnover of the game. A field goal would have likely put the game out of reach for Texas.

Still down 14–8, Texas began a desperate drive for the end zone that appeared to stall with 4:47 remaining when Royal opted for yet another gamble on fourth-and-3 from their own 43-yard line. During a timeout that Texas took before the fateful play, Royal shouted at Street, "Right 53 Veer Pass". The play was a deep pattern throw to the tight end. The play wasn't in the Texas game plan package. "Are you sure that's the call you want?" Street said. "Damn right I'm sure!" Royal snapped. Street had noticed Arkansas defenders looking into the Texas huddle, so he fixed his gaze on split end Cotton Speyrer while explaining the play to Randy Peschel, saying "Randy, I'm looking and pointing at Cotton, but I'm talking to you." Street then hit Peschel on the dramatic play, with Peschel making a difficult catch over his shoulder in double coverage. It gained 44 yards, putting Texas on the Razorbacks' 13.

Two plays later Jim Bertelsen ran in for the game-tying touchdown. Donnie Wigginton, the third-string quarterback who was the holder, made a big save on a high snap and Happy Feller booted the extra point for the winning score with 3:58 left.[6]

Arkansas made a push into Texas territory, hoping for a field goal from All-American kicker Bill McClard. Arkansas was down to the Texas 40 when Tom Campell intercepted Montgomery on the Texas 21-yard line with less than a minute left.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on June 17, 2015, 10:27:28 am
Wiki say:

James Street scrambled for a touchdown on the first play of the fourth quarter. Longhorns coach Darrell Royal had decided before the game to go for two after the Longhorns' first touchdown to avoid a tie, and Street dove into the end zone to make it 14–8. This was an unusual decision since most teams would have delayed the decision for a two-point conversion until the next touchdown (though clearly mathematically correct, since this would have given the Longhorns a later chance to tie in case of a failed two-point try).

Arkansas quarterback Bill Montgomery next led the Razorbacks on a 73-yard drive down to the Texas 7. On third down, Montgomery was intercepted in the end zone by Danny Lester, Arkansas' first turnover of the game. A field goal would have likely put the game out of reach for Texas.

Still down 14–8, Texas began a desperate drive for the end zone that appeared to stall with 4:47 remaining when Royal opted for yet another gamble on fourth-and-3 from their own 43-yard line. During a timeout that Texas took before the fateful play, Royal shouted at Street, "Right 53 Veer Pass". The play was a deep pattern throw to the tight end. The play wasn't in the Texas game plan package. "Are you sure that's the call you want?" Street said. "Damn right I'm sure!" Royal snapped. Street had noticed Arkansas defenders looking into the Texas huddle, so he fixed his gaze on split end Cotton Speyrer while explaining the play to Randy Peschel, saying "Randy, I'm looking and pointing at Cotton, but I'm talking to you." Street then hit Peschel on the dramatic play, with Peschel making a difficult catch over his shoulder in double coverage. It gained 44 yards, putting Texas on the Razorbacks' 13.

Two plays later Jim Bertelsen ran in for the game-tying touchdown. Donnie Wigginton, the third-string quarterback who was the holder, made a big save on a high snap and Happy Feller booted the extra point for the winning score with 3:58 left.[6]

Arkansas made a push into Texas territory, hoping for a field goal from All-American kicker Bill McClard. Arkansas was down to the Texas 40 when Tom Campell intercepted Montgomery on the Texas 21-yard line with less than a minute left.

So I was wrong. BM had TWO fourth-quarter interceptions.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Hoginsavga on June 17, 2015, 08:05:36 am

Chuck Dicus fumbled against Ole Miss to kill our last chance in the Sugar Bowl.

Hoginsavga

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 17, 2015, 10:33:12 am
Chuck Dicus fumbled against Ole Miss to kill our last chance in the Sugar Bowl.

Thanks. Looks like I confused the two games. Has been a few years, haha.

Bacons Rebellion

That's a good list. We can debate about Stoernor vs. Wilson or where Matt Jones should be, but we could argue about those all night from either side and not be wrong.

sickboy

Quote from: BBsTheMan on June 16, 2015, 11:48:29 pm
Give me BA over Casey Dick any day.

Dick is 3rd all time in passing yards for Arkansas. He's also around that in touchdowns thrown. People seem to forget that he was one of our most productive QBs because of his doldrums with Nutt.

bigbadhog

Too bad peanut Adams was SWC...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: sickboy on June 17, 2015, 10:52:33 am
Dick is 3rd all time in passing yards for Arkansas. He's also around that in touchdowns thrown. People seem to forget that he was one of our most productive QBs because of his doldrums with Nutt.

Seems Casey always gets a bad rap. But is among the top 5 all-time UA QBs in all the "good" QB categories.

And, during the 2006 season, when "MM was undefeated", Casey's stats were equal to MMs. And Casey played the MUCH tougher part of the schedule.

mhsbc59

Casey Dick also had 4 Offensive Coordinaters in 4 years
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: arkansasrazorback on June 16, 2015, 11:04:40 am
Your comment about Matt Jones is crazy.  Who cares who he would not have started for.  If it wasn't for Matt Jones, Nutt would have been fired in 2002 or 03.  Jones was the only reason we won games in those years. 
When MJ played QB, and both teams were ranked.  Arkansas was 0-1.
With the opponent ranked and Arkansas unranked, MJ was 2-9.  With Arkansas ranked and the opponent unranked, MJ was 2-5.  2-5 ? 

hog.goblin

Quote from: bigbadhog on June 17, 2015, 11:09:24 am
Too bad peanut Adams was SWC...

Was a SR in 1992 in the SEC, though he didn't throw a pass

arkansasrazorback

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on June 17, 2015, 11:59:10 am
When MJ played QB, and both teams were ranked.  Arkansas was 0-1.
With the opponent ranked and Arkansas unranked, MJ was 2-9.  With Arkansas ranked and the opponent unranked, MJ was 2-5.  2-5 ?
Without MJ what would our complete record have been.  It would have been worse.  He is in the top 4 for sure in this list.

mhsbc59

Lunney's Career is most unappreciated in my opinion.  Came into a dumpster fire was beat up his first 3 years. Punished because he played baseball and not allowed to start his first game of senior year.  That was SMU only win that year, and once inserted almost came back into win the game.  won at Alabama, broke nose vs, Alburn won game

mhsbc59

Quote from: arkansasrazorback on June 17, 2015, 12:04:58 pm
Without MJ what would our complete record have been.  It would have been worse.  He is in the top 4 for sure in this list.

Record would have been about the same.  we had good running back that where not used because of him.  Ryan Sorhan could have thrown Matt the ball.  I still say MJ won us as many games as he lost us.  the other games we would have won anyway

mhuff

Quote from: arkansasrazorback on June 16, 2015, 11:04:40 am
Your comment about Matt Jones is crazy.  Who cares who he would not have started for.  If it wasn't for Matt Jones, Nutt would have been fired in 2002 or 03.  Jones was the only reason we won games in those years. 

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: arkansasrazorback on June 17, 2015, 12:04:58 pm
Without any of the QB's listed our record would have been worse, LOL.. That's why they were the starters.  They could win more games than the backup.  I got him number 5, I'm just saying he isn't 1, 2 or 3 by a long shot. 

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: go hogues on June 16, 2015, 12:36:57 pm
LOL WUT?

Matt Jones was a great college football player, he was not a great quarterback.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on June 17, 2015, 11:21:44 am
Seems Casey always gets a bad rap. But is among the top 5 all-time UA QBs in all the "good" QB categories.

And, during the 2006 season, when "MM was undefeated", Casey's stats were equal to MMs. And Casey played the MUCH tougher part of the schedule.

Shhhhhh!!! They'll hear you!

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: mhsbc59 on June 17, 2015, 12:14:32 pm

Record would have been about the same.  we had good running back that where not used because of him.  Ryan Sorhan could have thrown Matt the ball.  I still say MJ won us as many games as he lost us.  the other games we would have won anyway

Or better yet Travarius Jackson could have thrown him the ball. I ofteb wonder what they could have done with Matt at his natural position opposite Monk and with a legitimate passing quarterback distributing.

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on June 17, 2015, 01:52:17 pm
Without any of the QB's listed our record would have been worse, LOL.. That's why they were the starters.  They could win more games than the backup.  I got him number 5, I'm just saying he isn't 1, 2 or 3 by a long shot. 

For the above reason I am not sure that is the case for every season for each QB.

mhsbc59

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on June 17, 2015, 02:02:40 pm
Or better yet Travarius Jackson could have thrown him the ball. I ofteb wonder what they could have done with Matt at his natural position opposite Monk and with a legitimate passing quarterback distributing.

For the above reason I am not sure that is the case for every season for each QB.

These are the real questions

RAZORHOGG15

Take away his inflated stats with BP and it's shows you something.  Before BP we were all ground and pound so that did not give any QB's a chance to match those stats.  I will always remember the 3-17 performance against LSU.  Just because he is up there in stats does not make him one of the best quarterbacks to ever play for our razorbacks.  IMHO
ONE TEAM ONE HEART ONE GOAL

Never make the mistake of confusing kindness for weakness

PennHOG

McFadden should be on someone's list.  He was extremely effective with the wildhog.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: PennHOG on June 19, 2015, 11:08:34 am
McFadden should be on someone's list.  He was extremely effective with the wildhog.

Like Matt Jones without the pretense.

NotoRioUsHOG

So here are mine

1. Ryan Mallett
2.Tyler Wilson
3.Matt Jones
4.Ty Storey ( I have complete faith in him)
5.Mitch Mustain
Notorious

PaintballHog

You guys are forgetting one of the greatest...

Edit: PennHOG is a wizard

HoGFromTheStart

Quote from: NotoRioUsHOG on June 19, 2015, 12:44:49 pm
So here are mine

1. Ryan Mallett
2.Tyler Wilson
3.Matt Jones
4.Ty Storey ( I have complete faith in him)
5.Mitch Mustain
My top 5 would be pretty close to this. Good picks! :razorback:
DSTo (not a journalist) suck it trebek!

WarPig88

Quote from: mhsbc59 on June 17, 2015, 12:12:07 pm
Lunney's Career is most unappreciated in my opinion.  Came into a dumpster fire was beat up his first 3 years. Punished because he played baseball and not allowed to start his first game of senior year.  That was SMU only win that year, and once inserted almost came back into win the game.  won at Alabama, broke nose vs, Alburn won game

Couldn't disagree more.

Madre Hill had a record setting season the ONLY time Lunney had even a decent year.

Madre Hill was the reason for the season, not Barry Lunney.

WarPig88

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on June 17, 2015, 11:21:44 am

Casey Dick's stats are only good because Arkansas has almost always had a joke passing game except for a few seasons under Broyles and then Petrino era.

It's not like Dick put up crazy numbers. As a matter of fact, he was the least productive of Petrino's quarterbacks even losing his starting spot to his little brother midway through the season.

Then of course, there was the LSU game. What was he, 2 for 21 or something.

There are extremely legit reasons Dick is "overlooked". He is the poster boy for the stats are for losers perspective on greatness.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: WarPig88 on June 19, 2015, 02:13:15 pm
Then of course, there was the LSU game. What was he, 2 for 21 or something.

Just wanted to point out a couple things. Yes, there's that LSU game. Don't remember if his stats were that bad, but I do remember (because I re-watched this game few times, painful as it was) 2 big plays. One, he hit Hillis in the hands, that if not for a pass interference by LSU, would have been a TD. Also later in that game—still in the first half—he threw a beautiful ball to Damian Williams, right over his shoulder against the sideline, hitting him in the hands—but DW drops it. Had he caught that ball, it would have been a 35-40 yard gain. He either takes it in for a TD, or, had he caught it and run out of bounds, we were in FG range, so we score easily. These are important to point out because at that point in the game, we were already ahead and had big momentum. Those plays, especially DW's pass, would have been a killer for LSU, maybe the dagger. They may not have recovered from it. But instead, we let them back in the game, their D makes plays, Dick struggles and forces things, and that's what everyone remembers.

Also, here are 2 more stats for you—Casey Dick BEAT LSU the next 2 years. How many QBs have done that in back-to-back years?
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

lefty08

Matt Jones was one of my favorite football players to watch as a Razorback, but no way I'd have him in the top 5 Razorback QBs all-time. Just my .02
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

carolinahogger

Cost us a NC, that's all.

If we had started Joe in 1969 we would have been winless due to being required to forfeit all of our games.  He was a true freshman and freshmen were not allowed to play back then.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: carolinahogger on June 20, 2015, 08:05:11 am
If we had started Joe in 1969 we would have been winless due to being required to forfeit all of our games.  He was a true freshman and freshmen were not allowed to play back then.
no worries, we just invoke BAMMER MATH and poof !   National Championship with a freshman in 1969
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

hog.goblin

Quote from: lefty08 on June 20, 2015, 07:53:44 am
Matt Jones was one of my favorite football players to watch as a Razorback, but no way I'd have him in the top 5 Razorback QBs all-time. Just my .02

"Lets rank the Hogs QB since joining the SEC in 1992"

lefty08

Quote from: hog.goblin on June 20, 2015, 09:03:43 am

You are correct, sentiment still holds true
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

lumphog

Quote from: MJ2 on June 16, 2015, 08:57:13 am
Good listing, however Mallett had both coaching and skilled players around him.  MJ had to do it all and basically had to overcome coaching.   MJ is tops.
TOTALLY AGREE.......He should have worn a pointed helmet....He was a WIZARD

LJHOG

Jon Brittenum - Quarterbackin' Man

WarPig88

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on June 19, 2015, 02:53:18 pm
Just wanted to point out a couple things. Yes, there's that LSU game. Don't remember if his stats were that bad, but I do remember (because I re-watched this game few times, painful as it was) 2 big plays. One, he hit Hillis in the hands, that if not for a pass interference by LSU, would have been a TD. Also later in that game—still in the first half—he threw a beautiful ball to Damian Williams, right over his shoulder against the sideline, hitting him in the hands—but DW drops it. Had he caught that ball, it would have been a 35-40 yard gain. He either takes it in for a TD, or, had he caught it and run out of bounds, we were in FG range, so we score easily. These are important to point out because at that point in the game, we were already ahead and had big momentum. Those plays, especially DW's pass, would have been a killer for LSU, maybe the dagger. They may not have recovered from it. But instead, we let them back in the game, their D makes plays, Dick struggles and forces things, and that's what everyone remembers.

Also, here are 2 more stats for you—Casey Dick BEAT LSU the next 2 years. How many QBs have done that in back-to-back years?

So Casey Dick beat LSU when Dmac, Felix, and Hillis ran wild on them?

Also, Casey wouldn't have even been the starter in the second LSU game if not for an injury to his little brother.

Furthermore, that can be countered by pointing out the Casey also lost to Kentucky in back to back years as well.

Casey Dick was a terrible qb with a losing record despite having played with the best backfield in Razorback history. Let that sink in for a moment.

EL' MAHOG

We had a QB named Quinn Grovey(sp) who I would put on that list
I guess it finally rained, its down to 85, I bet the fish are bitin' down by the riverside

hog.goblin

Quote from: EL' MAHOG on June 21, 2015, 02:27:51 pm
We had a QB named Quinn Grovey(sp) who I would put on that list

snoblind

Cost us a NC, that's all.

Well, Joe was a freshman in 69 and not eligible so I'm gonna guess not as good.

majp51

Err, While I believe that you are right some are down on him, the Statement

"I would rate BA over CD any day" can also be valid.

Consider this. Despite being banged up and playing in an offense that is much more "run-oriented" BA posted the following Statistics Last season:

190   339   56.0   2285   6.7   20   5   129.2

To Date Brandon's best season. Meanwhile Casey's best season  Looks like the following

150   262   57.3   1695   6.5   18   10   126.6

Looking at that stat line I would certainly want BA over CD.

Consider too that Allen would have to throw 17 Interceptions this year to surpass DIck's INT Total, and only have to throw 14 TD's to exceed Dick's TD Total.

Basically the Offense, even as run oriented as it is, would have to seriously regress overall (and BA would have to fall back to his very injured 2013 campaign) IN order to not have better overall numbers than Casey.

I would agree that Casey is unfairly maligned too though.

PonderinHog

Quote from: majp51 on June 21, 2015, 04:46:51 pm
Err, While I believe that you are right some are down on him, the Statement

"I would rate BA over CD any day" can also be valid.

Consider this. Despite being banged up and playing in an offense that is much more "run-oriented" BA posted the following Statistics Last season:

190   339   56.0   2285   6.7   20   5   129.2

To Date Brandon's best season. Meanwhile Casey's best season  Looks like the following

150   262   57.3   1695   6.5   18   10   126.6

Looking at that stat line I would certainly want BA over CD.

Consider too that Allen would have to throw 17 Interceptions this year to surpass DIck's INT Total, and only have to throw 14 TD's to exceed Dick's TD Total.

Basically the Offense, even as run oriented as it is, would have to seriously regress overall (and BA would have to fall back to his very injured 2013 campaign) IN order to not have better overall numbers than Casey.

I would agree that Casey is unfairly maligned too though.
Those are Casey's junior year stats from 2007 under TCTWF.
here's 2008
205  357 57.4 2586 122.4

hog.goblin

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 21, 2015, 04:53:56 pm
Those are Casey's junior year stats from 2007 under TCTWF.
here's 2008
205  357 57.4 2586 122.4

he also threw 13 TDs and 14 INTs if I remember

Frankly, neither Casey nor BA get the credit they deserve.  Imagine what Casey could have done with 4 years of coaching.

Imagine what BA could have done if he stayed healthy and didn't have to go through rebuild

but neither compare to Wilson, Ryan, or Clint - and there is nothing wrong with that

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: WarPig88 on June 21, 2015, 11:31:53 am

Also, Casey wouldn't have even been the starter in the second LSU game if not for an injury to his little brother.

Furthermore, that can be countered by pointing out the Casey also lost to Kentucky in back to back years as well.

Casey Dick was a terrible qb with a losing record despite having played with the best backfield in Razorback history. Let that sink in for a moment.

Yeah, but dat BLOCK doe...

Steef

Quote from: WarPig88 on June 21, 2015, 11:31:53 am

Man, I let this thread get away from me! I am spending WAY too much time on my phone and not enough on my laptop.

Technically, it isn't against the rules to bash FORMER players (though I think it should be). So you get a pass here (pun intended).

But I really LIKED Casey....as an upstanding young man and a VALUABLE member of our team, during several years of duress. Whatever he lacked in athletic talent (or coaching) he made up for in character and holding the team together.

And Casey didn't squander those running backs. Nutt did. When it comes to running backs, all Casey had to do was hand off. Casey's downfall was the passing game....and his Coach's avoidance thereof.

Casey finished his career with a signature win and a life-memory touchdown pass. He did the best he could have done under the circumstances and without question, better than anyone on this board could have done.

snoblind

lefty08

Why any fan feels the need to bash a former player is rather sad. For one, it's water under the bridge. And two, they worked just as hard as other players. As long as the effort is there I won't bash anyone for having less talent. A Hog is a Hog in my mind