Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rank the Hogs QB

Started by bruisemeister, June 16, 2015, 02:53:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

EastexHawg

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on June 16, 2015, 11:09:49 am
Those teams would have been 25-11 with my mom at QB. BM never beat Texas, never won the conference outright, never went to Cotton Bowl.

Would your mom have beaten Georgia, who came in as the undefeated SEC champ and with a near legendary defense, in the Sugar Bowl?  Would she have set the Sugar Bowl total offense record the next year?

Montgomery was the best QB we had during the first century of Razorback football.  All three games we lost to Texas were during their 30 game win streak that included two national championships.  We also lost shootouts against Rose Bowl champ Stanford...with Heisman winner Jim Plunkett at QB...and in the Sugar Bowl against Archie Manning and Ole Miss in the aforementioned game in which Montgomery put up records that stood for I think a couple of decades.

Now...to answer the OP's question, I think our top QB since joining the SEC was Matt Jones.  I rate Mallett a close second and can easily see the argument that he was #1.  One was a playmaker all over the field, the other was a prototypical pocket passer who played in the greatest offensive system and with the greatest set of skill players around him we've ever had at Arkansas.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: carolinahogger on June 20, 2015, 08:05:11 am
If we had started Joe in 1969 we would have been winless due to being required to forfeit all of our games.  He was a true freshman and freshmen were not allowed to play back then.

My bad. I thought his senior season was Fall  '71, but I was wrong.

majp51

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 21, 2015, 04:53:56 pm
Those are Casey's junior year stats from 2007 under TCTWF.
here's 2008
205  357 57.4 2586 122.4

Right, I posted Casey's statistically best year for comparison.

Again, I wasn't knocking Casey, just pointing that to date Brandon Allen is more efficient over all. Now certainly Brandon Allen can go into the tank, but even if his true from is a regression from last year into his sophomore season, he will finish as the better of the 2 QB's.

WilsonHog

Quote from: WarPig88 on June 21, 2015, 11:31:53 am
So Casey Dick beat LSU when Dmac, Felix, and Hillis ran wild on them?

Also, Casey wouldn't have even been the starter in the second LSU game if not for an injury to his little brother.

Furthermore, that can be countered by pointing out the Casey also lost to Kentucky in back to back years as well.

Casey Dick was a terrible qb with a losing record despite having played with the best backfield in Razorback history. Let that sink in for a moment.

Describing a former Razorback player as "terrible" crosses the line.

Sportster365

R. Mallett
M. Jones
T. Wilson
C. Stoerner
M. Mustain
B. Lunney
C. Dick
B. Allen

Although I don't fully recall watching Lunney play, I have to believe he was better than Dick or Allen.

Casey edged Brandon in my opinion solely based on his 2008 performance under Petrino. He finished as the 2nd rated QB in the SEC that season behind M. Stafford.

If BA can finish out with an impressive year... he easily move ahead of Dick and possibly Lunney as well.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: WarPig88 on June 21, 2015, 11:31:53 am
So Casey Dick beat LSU when Dmac, Felix, and Hillis ran wild on them?

Also, Casey wouldn't have even been the starter in the second LSU game if not for an injury to his little brother.

Furthermore, that can be countered by pointing out the Casey also lost to Kentucky in back to back years as well.

Casey Dick was a terrible qb with a losing record despite having played with the best backfield in Razorback history. Let that sink in for a moment.

Initially, I decided to ignore your stupid post...(and just about every sentence is.) Rather than try and sway your thinking about Casey Dick, I'll just refer you to Steefhog's post on Pg 2.

I did want to say this. I've been watching the Hogs since I was a kid in the early 70s, and have seen a lot of good and bad over the years. I don't need for anything to "sink in".

If the "terrible" Casey Dick is the worst quarterback we'll ever see (moving forward in our program), I'd say we're in a good place regarding that position.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Swine-as-wine

The fact that Darren McFadden was better when he was behind center than about 3/4ths
the guys on that list.....makes this thread irrelevant. Especially since he isn't listed.

lefty08

Quote from: Swine-as-wine on June 25, 2015, 06:14:41 pm
The fact that Darren McFadden was better when he was behind center than about 3/4ths
the guys on that list.....makes this thread irrelevant. Especially since he isn't listed.

LOL. Good one
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

WarPig88

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on June 25, 2015, 12:55:58 pm
Initially, I decided to ignore your stupid post...(and just about every sentence is.) Rather than try and sway your thinking about Casey Dick, I'll just refer you to Steefhog's post on Pg 2.

I did want to say this. I've been watching the Hogs since I was a kid in the early 70s, and have seen a lot of good and bad over the years. I don't need for anything to "sink in".

If the "terrible" Casey Dick is the worst quarterback we'll ever see (moving forward in our program), I'd say we're in a good place regarding that position.

I guess if you like qb's with losing records as a starter with the greatest backfield in school history.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on June 16, 2015, 09:29:27 am
Mallet
Stoerner
Lunney
Wilson
MJ (great talent, entertaining to watch, made everybody around him worse, Would never have played QB for Broyles, Holtz, Ford, Petrino or CBB)
BA
Mustain (undefeated but short career)

Rest were irrelevant.
I concur with this 100% only I might have to hedge and say 1st is a tie. 1 in the list IMO was never as great as he could have been by a large margin.