Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rank the Hogs QB

Started by bruisemeister, June 16, 2015, 02:53:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bruisemeister

Lets rank the Hogs QB since joining the SEC in 1992. I am not including the Ryan Sorahan senior start for one series that Nutt did or the occasional one start such as Nathan Dick or Robert Reed.
1.) Ryan Mallet(2009-2010)
2.) Matt Jones(late 2001-2004)
3.) Tyler Wilson(2011-2012)
4.) Clint Stoerner(1997-1999)
5.) Barry Lunney(mid 1992-1995)
6.) Casey Dick(mid 2005, late 2006-2008)
7.) Brandon Allen(2013-)
8.) Roby Hampton(2000)
9.) Mitch Mustain (2006)
10.) Zak Clark(late 2000-2001)
11.) Jason Allen(1992)
12.) Robert Johnson(2005, one game 2006)
13.) Pete Burks(1996)

bruisemeister

After much thought, I am changing positions with Wilson and Stoerner. Wilson gets credit for being the only Hog to make first team All-SEC. However, he did have the advantage of playing in a weak year for the conference at QB. As you recall, LSU won the SEC with two mediocre QBS. Bama won the national championship with a somewhat green A.J. McKarron. Wilson's only competition that season was Georgia's sophomore, Aaron Murray who threw 10 more touchdown passes than Wilson. In fact, Stoerner threw more touchdown passes in 1998 than Wilson did that year. In addition, he was 2nd team All SEC in his final two years. He had Tim Couch and Tee Martin to compete against to prevent him from making the first team.. Likewise Mallett was a 2nd teamer twice because he played the same years as Tim Tebow and Cam Newton. Wilson did not even make 3rd team in his senior season mainly because of guys like McKarron, Murray and some guy they called Johnny Football.
That doesn't mean Wilson was bad. You couldn't ask for a tougher Hog. He took some of the hardest hits as any Hog player and kept bouncing back. On the other hand, Stoerner did play behind perhaps the weakest offensive line in Hog history in 1997 and survived to have two of the most successful seasons of any Hog QB. He was sacked over 40 times.(that line did improve though and was one of the greatest in school history the following season, 4 of the members made the Hog All-Decade team, go figure). Anyhow, I am putting Clint at 3 and dropping Tyler to 4.

bruisemeister

Corrected list
3.) Client Stoerner(1997-1999)
4.) Tyler Wilson(2011-2012)
7.) Brandon Allen(2013-)
8.) Roby Hampton(2000)
9.) Mitch Mustain (2006)
11.) Jason Allen(1992)
13.) Pete Burks(1996)

gmarv

Quote from: bruisemeister on June 16, 2015, 03:29:07 am
Corrected list
3.) Client Stoerner(1997-1999)
4.) Tyler Wilson(2011-2012)
7.) Brandon Allen(2013-)
8.) Roby Hampton(2000)
9.) Mitch Mustain (2006)
11.) Jason Allen(1992)
13.) Pete Burks(1996)

the interesting thing will be to rate them after allens senior year.

hawg66

Jason Allen was pretty good before he got hurt, I'd put him above a couple more.

Hoggie17

Bill Montogomery went 28-8.  He should be on any list of Arkansas QB's, he was a winner in our glory days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Montgomery

jkstock04

Quote from: Hoggie17 on June 16, 2015, 08:29:20 am
Bill Montogomery went 28-8.  He should be on any list of Arkansas QB's, he was a winner in our glory days.

This list is since joining the SEC.

I'd say it's pretty solid, not sure I'd change anything.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

MJ2

Good listing, however Mallett had both coaching and skilled players around him.  MJ had to do it all and basically had to overcome coaching.   MJ is tops.

bigdaddyhawg

I don't have a clue where to rank those guys, but I do know this:  I'd love for Brandon Allen to be the top of our lists after a fantastic winning season in 2015!!
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

justmakeit2thebcs

Mallet
Stoerner
Lunney
Wilson
MJ (great talent, entertaining to watch, made everybody around him worse, Would never have played QB for Broyles, Holtz, Ford, Petrino or CBB)
BA
Mustain (undefeated but short career)

Rest were irrelevant.

HogNdazs

Mallet
Matt Jones
Stoerner
Wilson
Lunney
B Allen

Would be my top few.  I don't think you can discredit Jones for not being a "QB". Becuase he was our QB and did some great things, just not throwing it as much

arkansasrazorback

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on June 16, 2015, 09:29:27 am
Mallet
Stoerner
Lunney
Wilson
MJ (great talent, entertaining to watch, made everybody around him worse, Would never have played QB for Broyles, Holtz, Ford, Petrino or CBB)
BA
Mustain (undefeated but short career)

Rest were irrelevant.
Your comment about Matt Jones is crazy.  Who cares who he would not have started for.  If it wasn't for Matt Jones, Nutt would have been fired in 2002 or 03.  Jones was the only reason we won games in those years. 

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Hoggie17 on June 16, 2015, 08:29:20 am

Those teams would have been 25-11 with my mom at QB. BM never beat Texas, never won the conference outright, never went to Cotton Bowl.

RAZORHOGG15

Jmo but I can't get on board with any list that has Casey Dick as one of our all time great QB's.  To me there is a difference in being a QB on a great team and being a great QB.  I also hope that BA finishes his career higher on the list.  I think he shows a lot of potential.
ONE TEAM ONE HEART ONE GOAL

Never make the mistake of confusing kindness for weakness

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on June 16, 2015, 11:09:49 am
Those teams would have been 25-11 with my mom at QB. BM never beat Texas, never won the conference outright, never went to Cotton Bowl.

Man, what a distortion of the truth!

Those Texas teams were some of the greatest CFB teams of all teams, with tons of AA's and HOF's.

Bill Montgomery was a very good QB, and if you really watched those games you would have seen he was a key part of some truly great football teams.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 16, 2015, 11:38:19 am

Those Texas teams were some of the greatest CFB teams of all teams, with tons of AA's and HOF's.

Bill Montgomery was a very good QB, and if you really watched those games you would have seen he was a key part of some truly great football teams.

True; I intended to exaggerate.

But if BM had been injured, Joe Ferguson would have stepped in. What do you think the team's record would have been in '69 and '70 with Joe starting?

Fewer wins? No. More? Probably.

If I recall correctly, game of the century, we are down 15-14, Hogs driving late, ball in FG range, HOG AA kicker waiting...........BM threw an int.

Cost us a NC, that's all.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on June 16, 2015, 12:06:07 pm

But if BM had been injured, Joe Ferguson would have stepped in. What do you think the team's record would have been in '69 and '70 with Joe starting?

If I recall correctly, game of the century, we are down 15-14, Hogs driving late, ball in FG range, HOG AA kicker waiting...........BM threw an int.

You're right.  I forgot, he wasn't perfect.

But he was a really good CFB QB on very good teams, regardless of what you might say about it.

go hogues

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on June 16, 2015, 09:29:27 am

LOL WUT?
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

WarPig88

Quote from: bruisemeister on June 16, 2015, 03:22:18 am
After much thought, I am changing positions with Wilson and Stoerner. Wilson gets credit for being the only Hog to make first team All-SEC. However, he did have the advantage of playing in a weak year for the conference at QB. As you recall, LSU won the SEC with two mediocre QBS. Bama won the national championship with a somewhat green A.J. McKarron. Wilson's only competition that season was Georgia's sophomore, Aaron Murray who threw 10 more touchdown passes than Wilson. In fact, Stoerner threw more touchdown passes in 1998 than Wilson did that year. In addition, he was 2nd team All SEC in his final two years. He had Tim Couch and Tee Martin to compete against to prevent him from making the first team.. Likewise Mallett was a 2nd teamer twice because he played the same years as Tim Tebow and Cam Newton. Wilson did not even make 3rd team in his senior season mainly because of guys like McKarron, Murray and some guy they called Johnny Football.
That doesn't mean Wilson was bad. You couldn't ask for a tougher Hog. He took some of the hardest hits as any Hog player and kept bouncing back. On the other hand, Stoerner did play behind perhaps the weakest offensive line in Hog history in 1997 and survived to have two of the most successful seasons of any Hog QB. He was sacked over 40 times.(that line did improve though and was one of the greatest in school history the following season, 4 of the members made the Hog All-Decade team, go figure). Anyhow, I am putting Clint at 3 and dropping Tyler to 4.

So the only year in the history of the BCS that two teams from the same conference played for the NC was a down year?

Something is not right about your logic there. I think SC finished in the top 10, we finished in the top 5.

We played 4 top 15 teams that season. I would say that Stoerner played against the weaker schedule. Bama was down, Auburn was down, LSU was way down, Ole Miss was OK, South Carolina was down, and we played Kentucky at our place. That was his best year and it is a cake walk compared to what Wilson navigated.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: MJ2 on June 16, 2015, 08:57:13 am
Good listing, however Mallett had both coaching and skilled players around him.  MJ had to do it all and basically had to overcome coaching.   MJ is tops.

And he was basically a sandlot WR that played QB.   Not his fault.   And he was/is awesome no doubt. 

But far as QB play though, it was a duck-chuck and a prayer when the ball left his hands, and you basically ALWAYS had to plan on his improv and feet to actually make the play and yardage to keep the chains moving, not actual QB play.

In my mind, TW is getting bashed for stats when his accuracy, toughness, and escapability would place him much higher on this list.   He also had a lack of coaching, game-planning, and an uphill battle in his own locker room.   As much as I hate to say this, he probably had more to overcome coaching-wise than what even the King Clown caused his QBs.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on June 16, 2015, 12:06:07 pm

WAYYYYYY........Before my time, but you have just done something that I absolutely hate.   

You've diminished a player for ONE play, or ONE series, or even ONE season (depending on circumstances such as poor old TW under The Joker (That is Smiley)).
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on June 16, 2015, 12:43:53 pm
He also had a lack of coaching, game-planning, and an uphill battle in his own locker room.   

He grew up in BP's system, and had BP coaching him at least three of years (if memory serves correctly).

I doubt if 1% of CFB QB's every get coaching at that high a level, EVER.

WilsonHog

It's difficult to rank quarterbacks due to the variables of offensive style, especially in the college game. If I was a coach running a spread offense, Ryan Mallett would be at the top of my list. If I was coaching the veer, give me Ron Calcagni (I know, pre-SEC days, but Cal was a pure winner). Flexbone? How could you do much better than Quinn Grovey?

As with most things, it just depends on the context of the question.

(I agree on the point about Bill Montgomery, btw; I would never downgrade him for the interception against Texas any more than I would Mallett for the pick against Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl. A body of work isn't diminished by one play).

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Tom Bennett on June 16, 2015, 01:08:15 pm
It's difficult to rank quarterbacks due to the variables of offensive style, especially in the college game. If I was a coach running a spread offense, Ryan Mallett would be at the top of my list. If I was coaching the veer, give me Ron Calcagni (I know, pre-SEC days, but Cal was a pure winner). Flexbone? How could you do much better than Quinn Grovey?

As with most things, it just depends on the context of the question.

(I agree on the point about Bill Montgomery, btw; I would never downgrade him for the interception against Texas any more than I would Mallett for the pick against Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl. A body of work isn't diminished by one play).

Great point, sir.  Intelligent perspective.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 16, 2015, 12:15:25 pm
But he was a really good CFB QB on very good teams, regardless of what you might say about it.

Agree. He was very good.

thirrdegreetusker

A body of work isn't diminished by one play.

Maybe it SHOULD not be that way, but it is. If Stoerner does not fumble, does it change our memory of him? If MJ throws incomplete instead of the Miracle on Markham, does it change our opinion of his body of work? Of course. 

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on June 16, 2015, 12:50:43 pm
...you have just done something that I absolutely hate.   

You've diminished a player for ONE play

Ain't just me, it's Reality 101.

After all, we exalt a player over just one play. MJones Miracle on Markham throw; US Reed shot v Louisville in NCAAReg; Roland Sales in '78 Orange.....

Face it, if Roland had not had that one game, we would have no reason to remember his name.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: hawg66 on June 16, 2015, 08:20:15 am
Jason Allen was pretty good before he got hurt, I'd put him above a couple more.

Hard to say on him, because his time was so brief. However, he WAS solid. Anyone who beats Texas holds a high place in Hogworld. Had he not have gotten hurt, no telling how that season would've turned out. Amazing turnaround from the year before.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 16, 2015, 01:04:01 pm
He grew up in BP's system, and had BP coaching him at least three of years (if memory serves correctly).

I doubt if 1% of CFB QB's every get coaching at that high a level, EVER.

True, but look at the disparity of play between his Junior and Senior years.   No BP, no continuation of coaching, a broken locker room (a HUGE deal no matter how you want to dissect it) and Smiley?   We're lucky he didn't quit.
His response to me:

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on June 16, 2015, 01:30:39 pm
Ain't just me, it's Reality 101.

After all, we exalt a player over just one play. MJones Miracle on Markham throw; US Reed shot v Louisville in NCAAReg; Roland Sales in '78 Orange.....

Face it, if Roland had not had that one game, we would have no reason to remember his name.

Good point, but I don't do that either.   One or even a handful of plays does not a player make......For good or bad.  Just me though.   

That's why I usually get up for a beer or to put on a load of laundry or whatever when it's time for ESPN to go through their top 10 list.   It is usually a completely lucky play, by a player you've barely heard of, that won't ever have another moment of fame whatsoever, because it's all hat and no hoof (I think that's the saying at least). 

And yes, I hate the High School and Junior High plays as well.   Some poor player has played his guts out for 4 quarters just to watch the team and *some* fans go nuts when player "X" hits a buzzer beater circus shot and all of a sudden he/she's the next coming.

Anyway, this went down a deep irrelevant rabbit hole.
Your point is well taken, but I don't ride on that train for either the good plays or bad.
His response to me:

Tejano Jawg

It's difficult to rank quarterbacks due to the variables of offensive style, especially in the college game.

Agree with this—the skills of Mallett and Matt were so different. The thrills they provided were so different. Maybe one of the best arms to play QB for us—vs—a so-so arm with some of the best legs to play for us.

Something that's kinda interesting—since joining the SEC, we never really had a QB in the mold of Ron Calcagni or Quinn Grovey (so much fun watching them run the offense.) They were great runners, great field leaders, excellent at running the option (with the pitch) and could throw when they needed to.

Matt, while he did run a type of read option, was a different animal. His style was unique—fake a handoff, or motion a back the other way, and just take off for 50+ yards.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

MJ2

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on June 16, 2015, 12:43:53 pm
And he was basically a sandlot WR that played QB.   Not his fault.   And he was/is awesome no doubt. 

But far as QB play though, it was a duck-chuck and a prayer when the ball left his hands, and you basically ALWAYS had to plan on his improv and feet to actually make the play and yardage to keep the chains moving, not actual QB play.

In my mind, TW is getting bashed for stats when his accuracy, toughness, and escapability would place him much higher on this list.   He also had a lack of coaching, game-planning, and an uphill battle in his own locker room.   As much as I hate to say this, he probably had more to overcome coaching-wise than what even the King Clown caused his QBs.

Hate to confuse the situation with stats, but here they are for MJ

417 completions, 755 attempts 56%  5,857 yards 30 INT's 53 TD's 136 QB rating

Also 2,593 rushing yards and 24 TD's avg of 6.6 Yards per carry.

All VERY good for any QB.   Putting him at receiver would have been a severe waste of talent.

Hawgphish

What about Quinn Grovey?

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on June 16, 2015, 01:32:59 pm
We're lucky he didn't quit.

OMG!!  Things were so bad for little Tyler he could've/should've/would've quit?

Poor darling child!

:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

WilsonHog

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on June 16, 2015, 01:25:27 pm
Maybe it SHOULD not be that way, but it is. If Stoerner does not fumble, does it change our memory of him? If MJ throws incomplete instead of the Miracle on Markham, does it change our opinion of his body of work? Of course.

What you describe depends on the person. Do I remember the play? Yes. Does it influence my opinion of him as a quarterback? No.

Same with other players. Steve Atwater was perhaps the finest safety to ever play at Arkansas. Is he less so because he dropped an interception against the Hurricanes in Miami? Not in my opinion. Not how I think; I cannot speak for others.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on June 16, 2015, 01:41:17 pm
Anyway, this went down a deep irrelevant rabbit hole.
Your point is well taken, but I don't ride on that train for either the good plays or bad.

Montgomery was a fine college QB. The near-deification by some Hog fans is what bugs me.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on June 16, 2015, 03:04:41 pm
Montgomery was a fine college QB. The near-deification by some Hog fans is what bugs me.

Jon Brittenum was the first QB I remember watching play for the Hogs, and he WAS a diety to me at that time.

I even got to meet him once, and his hands were HUGE!  What a great guy, too!

But Montgomery was the first QB that I truly loved watching play.  Bill and Dicus and Reppond -- it was my first exposure to big passing plays and a balanced offense.

And I loved it!!  I love that team.  My heart still breaks from '69, but I truly loved all the Razorbacks from that team.  Without question my all-time favorite Hog team.  And Bill Montgomery was a big part of that, IMO.

WilsonHog

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on June 16, 2015, 03:04:41 pm

I wonder if perhaps that has something to do with the age of the fan?

There will never be another Razorback football team as great as the 1977 team, because at age 15 that was the first team I really followed. I knew depth chart, sizes, weights, hometowns, the whole nine yards. I was consumed, obsessed, with following that team, and the players and coaches were gods.

Then I became an adult, and it hasn't been as much fun since. I couldn't tell you who is running 1st team for us now if you put a gun to my head.

NotoRioUsHOG

Notorious

HoGFromTheStart

Mallett And Wilson in my lifetime. :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
DSTo (not a journalist) suck it trebek!

NotoRioUsHOG

Quote from: HoGFromTheStart on June 16, 2015, 04:38:19 pm
Mallett And Wilson in my lifetime. :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
I agree notorious!
Notorious

rickm1976

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 16, 2015, 11:38:19 am

Darrel Royal once said that James Street and Bill Montgomery were two of the greatest college QB's he ever saw play.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: bruisemeister on June 16, 2015, 03:22:18 am
Quote from: WarPig88 on June 16, 2015, 12:39:08 pm
So the only year in the history of the BCS that two teams from the same conference played for the NC was a down year?

Something is not right about your logic there. I think SC finished in the top 10, we finished in the top 5.

We played 4 top 15 teams that season. I would say that Stoerner played against the weaker schedule. Bama was down, Auburn was down, LSU was way down, Ole Miss was OK, South Carolina was down, and we played Kentucky at our place. That was his best year and it is a cake walk compared to what Wilson navigated.

Quote from: gmarv on June 16, 2015, 08:11:42 am
the interesting thing will be to rate them after allens senior year.

It would take a great season to put him in the top 5 conversation. 

Good ranking bruisemeister of SEC era only Hog qb's.  I agree with a couple of others who mentioned Jason Allen and considering moving him up.

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 16, 2015, 02:28:43 pm
OMG!!  Things were so bad for little Tyler he could've/should've/would've quit?

Poor darling child!

:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Did I really need to add some sort of "Hyperbole" emoticon?

Really?
His response to me:

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on June 16, 2015, 06:11:21 pm
Did I really need to add some sort of "Hyperbole" emoticon?

Really?

After reading the same recycled garbage about how bad TW had it here, yes, it makes we want to hurl.

nesjunk

Why isn't Sebastian Tretola on this list?  Who can touch his QB rating? :-)

hog.goblin

Where are Ryan Sorahan, Peanut Adams?  This list won't do.

Catfish Joe

3.) Clint Stoener (1997-1999)
4.) Tyler Wilson (2011-2012)
6.) Brandon Allen (2013-)
7.) Casey Dick(mid 2005, late 2006-2008)
8.) Mitch Mustain(2006)
9.) Roby Hampton (2000)
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."

-John Heisman-

RedBird5

Nipsey Mussle

Give me BA over Casey Dick any day.