Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Deep at Quarterback

Started by bruisemeister, June 16, 2015, 02:37:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bruisemeister

It seems like we have 4 keepers at QB. Are they the real deal? I remember a similar situation going into the 1992 season where the Hogs were 5 deep. Jason Allen was coming off of a Freshman year where he almost led the Hogs to the SWC title if he hadn't gone down with a season ending injury against Baylor. Doyle Preston was his highly touted backup who was smacked around like a rag doll against Miami and missed the remainder of the season. Wade Hill took over for Allen and led the team to a season closing victory against Rice which clinched a bowl game. They also had two top 10 QB recruits in Barry Lunney and Mike Cherry. Allen ended up losing his starting job early in the season after a slow start including a loss to Citadel. By then Preston was relegated to backup punter and Hill was either off the team or headed that way. Lunney took over and led the Hogs to an upset in Knoxville over a top 5 Tennesee team just coming off a win over Florida. He could only manage one more win and a tie the rest of the way. He started the next two seasons so Cherry transferred to Murray State coached by Houston Nutt. He ended up making the roster for the New York Giants. Lunney lost his starting job for the opener in his senior season to the next savior, Robert Reed. Reed had a tough game against SMU and Lunney took over and almost led the Hogs to a comeback victory if it was not for a fumble at the one yard line. Reed left the team and ended up as a reserve receiver for Ole Miss. Lunney rebounded from that loss and led the Hogs to their first SEC championship game appearance in 1995.

Any way, enough nostalgia. Basically will the two Allens(it just dawned on me that we had an Allen starter in the early 90's), Rafe and Ty be the next Ryan Malletts, Quinn Grovey or Bill Montgomery's at Arkansas or will they  mediocre or end up being a tight end at Mississippi State. If one transfers, will he be the one with the most talent ala Tavaris Jackson or Mike Cherry? I was excited when we signed all of them but it looks like we will only get to see 2 or maybe 3 as a Hog. The irony is that we have had so many seasons where we had only one good quarterback. Now we have possibly 4.

Razorback4

Honestly I think we are in a "wait and see pattern" until the end of the 2015 season. Once Brandon is gone and the QB competition opens up we will know more. I think we see Rafe or Austin leave. More than likely Rafe if he doesn't win the starting spot.

havok

Quote from: Razorback4 on June 16, 2015, 08:17:56 am
Honestly I think we are in a "wait and see pattern" until the end of the 2015 season. Once Brandon is gone and the QB competition opens up we will know more. I think we see Rafe or Austin leave. More than likely Rafe if he doesn't win the starting spot.

I am hopeful we get several games well under control, and the backups get meaningful snaps in live game action, so next season we have somewhat of an Idea of how they manage games.  Austin has a bout a Half of game worth of experience.. but evidently during the Missouri game, they didn't feel comfortable enough to replace Brandon even though he came in and did a terrific job keeping the offense moving getting some 1st downs, in Ole Miss game.

My Wish is that we get to a point (Like when Mallett left) we felt so good about the QB position (after seeing Tyler Wilson perform against Auburn) that we don't have those "heart Palpitations" the first game of the year when the ball is snapped.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Razorback4 on June 16, 2015, 08:17:56 am
I think we see Rafe or Austin leave. More than likely Rafe if he doesn't win the starting spot.

This kind of conjecture always bothers me a great deal.

Unless you know these kids personally, and are close enough to truly know them, how in the world can you even begin to form this opinion?

Hubris.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

KlubhouseKonnected

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

bphi11ips

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 16, 2015, 09:05:27 am

Unless you know these kids personally, and are close enough to truly know them, how in the world can you even begin to form this opinion?

Hubris.

I agree.  My sense is that all the QBs now on campus know there are dues to pay, especially in Bielema's system.  At Wisconsin he relied on upper classmen QBs, and that is generally thought to be sound football.

These QBs also know they are one play away from moving up at any time.  They all want to start, but they are team players first. 

I agree that we are as deep at QB as we have ever been during the almost 50 years I've followed the Hogs. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: bphi11ips on June 16, 2015, 10:59:08 am
I agree.  My sense is that all the QBs now on campus know there are dues to pay, especially in Bielema's system.  At Wisconsin he relied on upper classmen QBs, and that is generally thought to be sound football.

These QBs also know they are one play away from moving up at any time.  They all want to start, but they are team players first. 

I agree that we are as deep at QB as we have ever been during the almost 50 years I've followed the Hogs. 

The vast, vast, VAST majority of QB's who find themselves in a back role do not transfer.  Some of those never start, some start as seniors (I remember the kid at UGa that had a nice year as a senior after not playing a lick before), and some find themselves playing key roles when injuries crop up and end up leading their beloved team to huge wins.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 16, 2015, 11:42:03 am
The vast, vast, VAST majority of QB's who find themselves in a back role do not transfer.  Some of those never start, some start as seniors (I remember the kid at UGa that had a nice year as a senior after not playing a lick before), and some find themselves playing key roles when injuries crop up and end up leading their beloved team to huge wins.

But to be fair to our fans that has not been the norm for us in recent memory.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on June 16, 2015, 12:33:43 pm
But to be fair to our fans that has not been the norm for us in recent memory.

OK, while that may be true, a little perspective is needed I think: the entire program has been a dumpster fire since that motorcyle accident, until CBB now is finally getting things back in order.

nwahogfan1

I cant see QBs waiting 4 years to start but I do hope they can wait 2 or 3 years so they will be ready for action in the SEC. 

I see QBs transferring at Arkansas just like other schools see then transferring but if the QBs keep getting coached up and they feel appreciated then I think we don't lose as many.

racinghog

There is one QB not mentioned and he will be smack in the middle of the discussion in two years. Who recruited who is a big factor.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: havok on June 16, 2015, 08:59:12 am
I am hopeful we get several games well under control, and the backups get meaningful snaps in live game action, so next season we have somewhat of an Idea of how they manage games.  Austin has a bout a Half of game worth of experience.. but evidently during the Missouri game, they didn't feel comfortable enough to replace Brandon even though he came in and did a terrific job keeping the offense moving getting some 1st downs, in Ole Miss game.

My Wish is that we get to a point (Like when Mallett left) we felt so good about the QB position (after seeing Tyler Wilson perform against Auburn) that we don't have those "heart Palpitations" the first game of the year when the ball is snapped.

That had as much to do with CBP as it did the QB's. I am convinced that if a young man can still function after the focus he gives them as QB that they can do anything. Well they can do anything with a ball that is... Here's hoping that CBB continues to prove to be the Anti-Nutt..!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Hubris.

Nah not hubris, It's guessing with negative vibes. People who don't prepare themselves for life and let it happen to them are always waiting on the next shoe to fall. I know this from bitter experience. I attended the school of hard knocks for over 40 years...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on June 16, 2015, 05:39:29 pm
Nah not hubris, It's guessing with negative vibes. People who don't prepare themselves for life and let it happen to them are always waiting on the next shoe to fall. I know this from bitter experience. I attended the school of hard knocks for over 40 years...

You may be right.

k.c.hawg

It is not unheard of for a D1 team to be on their 3rd QB by the 4th game of the season. Everyone of these guys better prepare as if they are going to play. I would never assume we aren't going to know anything about these other QB's until 16. I hope Brandon has a healthy, super productive season, starting and finishing every game. But, I will never count on that. I hope Austin and Rafe aren't counting on it either. The odds are our #2 better be ready to win a game or two for us this year.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: havok on June 16, 2015, 08:59:12 am

darn was baffling right there. Can't for the life of me figure out what coach B was thinking there by leaving in a gimp at qb in a rivalry game.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Arky

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 16, 2015, 07:47:45 pm
darn was baffling right there. Can't for the life of me figure out what coach B was thinking there by leaving in a gimp at qb in a rivalry game.
Irwin, I think, said B was talked into leaving Brandon in by some of the coaches.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Arky on June 16, 2015, 09:40:15 pm
Irwin, I think, said B was talked into leaving Brandon in by some of the coaches.
and BA himself, IIRC.

bennyl08

Hubris.

Pretty easily. If such conjecture is evidence of hubris, then basically every opinion is evidence of hubris and only posts saying I defer to the coach or the player exhibits a lack of hubris.

The question involved requires two things. First, the ability to judge how the qb's rank relative to one another on our team. Two, the ability to judge how our qb's rank against the rest of the country.

If you have a qb who can start for a lot of other teams, but isn't a starter or backup here, then the player likely should transfer. The odds are low that he will ever get meaningful playing time here and by the time the qb is old enough to be able to start for many other teams, our team should have had time to build depth behind him. The only way a backup should transfer is if they are a senior or the guy in front of them is very young and so they won't get the opportunity to start after number leaves.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 16, 2015, 01:08:45 pm
OK, while that may be true, a little perspective is needed I think: the entire program has been a dumpster fire since that motorcyle accident, until CBB now is finally getting things back in order.

Agreed but on this particular topic I look all the way back Zak Clark, Tavaris Jackson, Mitch Mustain (yes everyone, I know, there is no need to rehash this) and Nathan Dick.

atekido

Ohio St is the only school in the country that can claim they are deep at QB.  Having bodies does not make you Deep.  We have Brandon Allen and then a few un-tested kids.  Having 2nd and 3rd string players with legitimate snaps under their belts gives you depth. If Allen went down I would be Very worried. 

Pigsknuckles

There was thread prior to spring ball that discussed the possibility that one of our current QB's, or QB recruits might eventually transfer. No mention then of the discussion being inappropriate. Simply the recognition that we had enviable (albeit undeveloped) talent at the QB position, and that if one truly wanted to play/start at that position then a transfer might be their best option. At that time most seemed to think that RP might be the likely candidate. Speculation is what we do here. As long as it's not hateful, or denigrating, it's just part of the process.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

KlubhouseKonnected

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on June 17, 2015, 01:25:47 pm
Pretty easily. If such conjecture is evidence of hubris, then basically every opinion is evidence of hubris and only posts saying I defer to the coach or the player exhibits a lack of hubris.

Conjecture is one thing, but stating as it's simple truth, well that's hubris plain and simple.

Surprised you couldn't see the truth of that.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on June 17, 2015, 04:43:01 pm
As long as it's not hateful, or denigrating, it's just part of the process.

Yes, a senseless part of the stupid process.

Doesn't mean that thinking men can't come up with a better process.

TexArkHogFan

And, don't forget we've got the kid coming in from Louisiana next year who just may give all of them a challenge for playing time. 
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 17, 2015, 06:00:22 pm
Yes, a senseless part of the stupid process.

Doesn't mean that thinking men can't come up with a better process.

Speculation is what thinking men do in the process of identifying possibilities. It's neither good, or evil.

bennyl08

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 17, 2015, 05:58:39 pm
Conjecture is one thing, but stating as it's simple truth, well that's hubris plain and simple.

Surprised you couldn't see the truth of that.

This I would agree with. However, you just moved the goal posts. The guy you were originally replying to did not come close to stating something as truth. He said he "thinks" that one of the guys will transfer next spring and that he believes it is more "likely" to be Rafe than Austin. Nowhere does that sound like he is saying that it is the simple truth that Rafe will transfer.

For the record, I agree with the poster. To my eyes, Austin looked like a better prospect in HS than Rafe, and has followed that up with looking better in 2 spring games than Rafe as well as being ahead of the depth chart and seeing actual playing time. Of course, this all depends on how next spring goes. Who wins the battle between Austin, Rafe, and Storey? Will the new recruit be an early enrollee? Say Austin wins and Storey looks like he could just as easily take the starting job the next season, Rafe may transfer. If Rafe wins and Austin sees Storey and the new guy closing in, he may transfer.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

BatesvilleHOG

Ya know.. I can't remember the last time Arkansas had two four star QB's on the bench. Heck, one is even a First Team Parade All American. The Hogs are definitely spoiled at that position and look to be set for a while with Cole Kelly and some other really talented QB's in the 16 and 17 class.

Just need to match our QB depth with say a few more solid LB'ers, Rb's, linemen, and Safety's

blu

This fall we will have three 4* QBs on the bench.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

racinghog

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on June 17, 2015, 06:09:47 pm
And, don't forget we've got the kid coming in from Louisiana next year who just may give all of them a challenge for playing time. 
This will happen.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on June 17, 2015, 09:37:51 pm
Speculation is what thinking men do in the process of identifying possibilities. It's neither good, or evil.

So, according to this, you would A OK with us writing on a message board talking about whether you wife was faithful in your marriage?  And anyone who wanted to could state "I think she sleeps around on him", and that would be only healthy speculation??

See, all we'd be doing is identifying possibilities, so it's not good or bad, right?

Wrong.

Yes, if we're speculating about the season the Hogs are going to have, then, sure, that's no biggie.  But to speculate about the personal life of a kid, and to basically say one of those guys is going to be seeking self and disregard his commitment he made to the UA, his coaches, and his teammates,  to me that's no different than us speculating about the fidelity of your wife.

Neither is OK.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 18, 2015, 08:34:01 am
So, according to this, you would A OK with us writing on a message board talking about whether you wife was faithful in your marriage?  And anyone who wanted to could state "I think she sleeps around on him", and that would be only healthy speculation??

See, all we'd be doing is identifying possibilities, so it's not good or bad, right?

Wrong.

Yes, if we're speculating about the season the Hogs are going to have, then, sure, that's no biggie.  But to speculate about the personal life of a kid, and to basically say one of those guys is going to be seeking self and disregard his commitment he made to the UA, his coaches, and his teammates,  to me that's no different than us speculating about the fidelity of your wife.

Neither is OK.

Within the context of this thread, I really believe you are over thinking this.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on June 18, 2015, 11:12:17 am
Within the context of this thread, I really believe you are over thinking this.

Way to be a man and acknowledge my valid point.

bennyl08

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 18, 2015, 08:34:01 am

Wrong.

Neither is OK.

It depends. Do we have access to information on his wife back in HS and have we had the chance to observe say on a date in a restaurant? Because that would be the equivalent information we have on the quarterbacks and their likelihood of transferring. If, for example, the wife was known to get around and cheat on BF's in the past and she had noticeable wondering eyes on the date, then IMO, it would be perfectly fair to say, hey there is a chance your wife may cheat on you. Wouldn't be able to definitively say that the was or was not cheating, but the probability would be non-negligible.

What does seeking a transfer have to do with the personal life of a hog? IF Either Austin or Rafe end up third string at the end of spring, I would certainly selfishly want them to stay here and give us greater depth, but for their sake, I would encourage them to transfer somewhere else. You are acting like a player seeking a transfer is the deepest form of betrayal and treason.

Take Nathan Dick, for example. Which would you have rathered for the kid. Stay at Arkansas and honor his commitment by sitting on the bench the rest of his career, or go to UCA, be at or near the top of all of their passing records and get to be an FCS all-american?

Saying an athlete might transfer should in no way be viewed as a knock on the kid. If they are transferring, that means that we have built up a lot of depth and that they player leaving is good enough to probably start for a different school.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 16, 2015, 11:42:03 am

Scott Bull - went from bench sitter to SWC POY in '75.

thirrdegreetusker

My personal opinion is that BB is not looking for an NFL QB. His dream is a run/pass guy that can win college football games.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Who is going to be 12 gauge?
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

bennyl08

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on June 18, 2015, 04:22:02 pm
My personal opinion is that BB is not looking for an NFL QB. His dream is a run/pass guy that can win college football games.

Every coach is looking for a guy who can win college football games. It just so happens that the guys best suited for that also have NFL talent as well.

I'd take what you are saying and modify it a bit. CBB is first going to look for a quarterback who won't lose the game. Then, among those he chooses the guy who will best help win the game. Other coaches may go out and find the quarterbacks most capable of winning a game and then choosing the one least likely to lose a game.

At the end of the day, either style is best suited by an NFL calibre guy. Just that one style puts a guy out there who can make impressive throws or scrambles but also takes sacks or throws interceptions while the other impresses with the lack of sacks and ints but sometimes at the cost of the former.

racinghog

UMMM a transfer coming in for a visit. What does this tell us?

Dominicanhog

Quote from: blu on June 18, 2015, 05:27:55 am
This fall we will have three 4* QBs on the bench.

maybe 4 - 4 star QB's riding the bench in 15

PaintballHog

Apparently not talented enough to bring in a qb that couldnt keep his job at Purdue. I would be pretty insulted if I was AA or Rafe.

racinghog

Quote from: PaintballHog on June 18, 2015, 09:59:45 pm
Apparently not talented enough to bring in a qb that couldnt keep his job at Purdue. I would be pretty insulted if I was AA or Rafe.
What is the reason for his transfer? I know the reason for the other we went after.

PaintballHog

Quote from: racinghog on June 18, 2015, 10:01:56 pm
What is the reason for his transfer? I know the reason for the other we went after.

Looks like he got passed up by Appleby 5 games in last season.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2015/06/11/purdues-former-starting-qb-etling-looking-to-transfer/71085240/

870hogfan

Or be more motivated to prove to coaches that they deserve a shot.

PaintballHog

Quote from: 870hogfan on June 18, 2015, 10:28:50 pm

Who are already competing against each other and Ty? Come on.

racinghog

Quote from: 870hogfan on June 18, 2015, 10:28:50 pm
You may be on to something. But what of the other QB that would have started in '16.

redeye

Quote from: bruisemeister on June 16, 2015, 02:37:06 am
It seems like we have 4 keepers at QB. Are they the real deal? ...

I'm just in awe of your memory.

MuskogeeHogFan

June 19, 2015, 09:20:24 am #48 Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 07:59:43 am by MuskogeeHogFan

If you are insulted by the presence of more competition then you might not be "the guy" who is going to rise to the top through competition. I doubt either of them are feeling "insulted". They may however feel that they have to press harder to make sure that they win out in any competition for playing time. I sure hope that is how they would take this. But we are getting way ahead of ourselves. The kid visited and that is all. At this point anyway.
Go Hogs Go!

lefty08

If any backup QB is insulted by competition I prefer they move along and let the real QBs battle it out
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged