Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Depth Chart

Started by troyer37, June 15, 2015, 10:14:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

troyer37

Has there been any depth chart threads posted? I was wondering what people thought it was going to look like.

Rison Razor Hog

June 15, 2015, 06:03:11 pm #1 Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 07:41:56 pm by Rison Razor Hog
And on my deathbed, I'll achieve total consciousness, so I've got that goin' for me!

To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin: Billions for defense, but not one cent for dhimmitude!

bennyl08

Listed post-spring depth chart.

From the horse's mouth: JoJo would be on the two deep if he gets his stuff together. By the looks of things, it appear he is well on the way to accomplishing this.

Potential changes IMHO

Hawkins has an OR now with the second string, but I'm guessing he would be the first to be replaced by JoJo. Plus, in 3 WR sets, I'd venture a guess that it'd be Cornelius, Hatcher, and JoJo out there, depending on situation and who is fresh.

If Mitchell continues to get better at WR, I'm guessing he surpasses Morgan and the "OR" is dropped. For the record, I am slightly biased against Morgan in that I think he doesn't really have any weaknesses as a receiver, he can run routes, catch, and block, it is just that he doesn't have any strengths either.

I'd be surprised if Gibson remains the backup LT.

I'd guess that it ends up being more of a Williams OR Collins with Walker the third string as opposed to how it is now with perhaps Cantrell getting the OR at fullback behind Walker as an H-back.

I think Wise Jr. will be starting more this season than he doesn't. However, I think the difference between first and second string at any position on the DL will be blurry at best. Similarly, at Hodge's weight and issues in previous seasons, unless he really improves his stamina I think it will be hard for him to remain the starter if he continues having difficulty remaining on the field due to losing his breath.

I don't think the starters will change at LB, though I expect Eugene will get his fair share of playing time and at least one if not two of our incoming LB's make the 2 deep.

I think the safeties now are mostly what we will see all season long. I think we will rotate corners a bit but Toliver and Collins will end up being the main starters with Dean really taking the nickel role.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Lake City Hog

Benny, I think some(several) of the "or"'s and maybe a couple of the starting positions are "motivational".
I think Wise may be the most talented DE we have right now, just needs to produce like he is. Collins is obviously co-#1 and we will see Walker as a FB a LOT.
I think Morgan is "that guy", you know the one that seems to get open and then catches the ball. The guy that makes that critical 3rd and 4 catch to keep the drive alive. No question that we have several more "talented" receivers on campus, but there just seems to be something about this kid.

bennyl08

Quote from: Lake City Hog on June 15, 2015, 08:23:03 pm
Benny, I think some(several) of the "or"'s and maybe a couple of the starting positions are "motivational".
I think Wise may be the most talented DE we have right now, just needs to produce like he is. Collins is obviously co-#1 and we will see Walker as a FB a LOT.
I think Morgan is "that guy", you know the one that seems to get open and then catches the ball. The guy that makes that critical 3rd and 4 catch to keep the drive alive. No question that we have several more "talented" receivers on campus, but there just seems to be something about this kid.

Yeah, definitely agree about the "OR"'s.

IDK, I just really see Morgan and Denzel Evans as similar players at different positions. Both players strike me as dependable, hardworking guys. Like I said earlier, I don't think either of them have any weaknesses at their position. I just don't think either have any strengths. Valuable assets to the team for sure, just not somebody that makes you hold your breath when they get the ball. To be fair, Morgan actually reminds me a lot of Jarius Wright, if Wright ran like a 4.65 or 4.7 instead of a 4.42.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

troyer37

I think we can also expect Reed to come in here and maybe shake up the depth chart some as well!

PaintballHog

Disagree on wr's Benny, I fully expect it to be Hatcher, Reed, JoJo, and Mitchell as 1st and 2nd string by the time we get to SEC play.

I also think there's no way Brian Wallace doesn't become a starter sometime, somehow this year. You don't take the best talent you've ever seen come out of high school and not max out his playing time.

troyer37

Quote from: PaintballHog on June 16, 2015, 11:22:17 am
Disagree on wr's Benny, I fully expect it to be Hatcher, Reed, JoJo, and Mitchell as 1st and 2nd string by the time we get to SEC play.

I also think there's no way Brian Wallace doesn't become a starter sometime, somehow this year. You don't take the best talent you've ever seen come out of high school and not max out his playing time.

Paintball Hog whose spot do you see Brian Wallace taking? I would like to know. From what i heard Ragnow is a beast and Bielema has nothing but good things to say about him. Smothers has the experience to play center. Just wondering who are thinking?

PaintballHog

Quote from: troyer37 on June 16, 2015, 11:38:15 am
Paintball Hog whose spot do you see Brian Wallace taking? I would like to know. From what i heard Ragnow is a beast and Bielema has nothing but good things to say about him. Smothers has the experience to play center. Just wondering who are thinking?

I could see a wide range of scenarios playing out. Skipper getting another couple dumb penalties, and as punishment Wallace takes his spot for a game. Wallace then shows what he can do and doesn't give the position back up.

Or I think an issue of comparative advantage takes place

http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/09/law-comparative-advantage.asp

For example, the output of moving Ragnow to center, Kirkland to guard, and Wallace to tackle could be greater than Smothers at center, Ragnow at guard, and Kirkland at tackle.

Basically I don't believe Wallace isn't one of our best 5 olinemen, which what our starters should be.

It doesn't matter much because BB has openly said there's no way he's not going to get significant minutes, which means there will likely be alot of rotations to stay fresh, so it's not that big of a deal. Just fun off season predictions.

troyer37

I always thought Ragnow would be our next center and I guess he still could be. Maybe Bielema just doesn't quite have enough confidence in him yet to snap the ball. Reeve Koehler is another one I think about he was pretty highly rated out of Highschool. Hopefully he can get back into shape after his injury and surprise some people.

TheRazorback500

Quote from: bennyl08 on June 15, 2015, 07:51:00 pm

Listed post-spring depth chart.

From the horse's mouth: JoJo would be on the two deep if he gets his stuff together. By the looks of things, it appear he is well on the way to accomplishing this.

Potential changes IMHO

Hawkins has an OR now with the second string, but I'm guessing he would be the first to be replaced by JoJo. Plus, in 3 WR sets, I'd venture a guess that it'd be Cornelius, Hatcher, and JoJo out there, depending on situation and who is fresh.

If Mitchell continues to get better at WR, I'm guessing he surpasses Morgan and the "OR" is dropped. For the record, I am slightly biased against Morgan in that I think he doesn't really have any weaknesses as a receiver, he can run routes, catch, and block, it is just that he doesn't have any strengths either.

I'd be surprised if Gibson remains the backup LT.

I'd guess that it ends up being more of a Williams OR Collins with Walker the third string as opposed to how it is now with perhaps Cantrell getting the OR at fullback behind Walker as an H-back.

I think Wise Jr. will be starting more this season than he doesn't. However, I think the difference between first and second string at any position on the DL will be blurry at best. Similarly, at Hodge's weight and issues in previous seasons, unless he really improves his stamina I think it will be hard for him to remain the starter if he continues having difficulty remaining on the field due to losing his breath.

I don't think the starters will change at LB, though I expect Eugene will get his fair share of playing time and at least one if not two of our incoming LB's make the 2 deep.

I think the safeties now are mostly what we will see all season long. I think we will rotate corners a bit but Toliver and Collins will end up being the main starters with Dean really taking the nickel role.
In your opinion is this because he'll be elevated to a starter or someone better will take his place?
Do you wanna get Rocked?

bennyl08

Quote from: PaintballHog on June 16, 2015, 11:22:17 am

Oh yeah, I kind of forgot about Reed. As late of a start as he is getting, I think it will take him some time to really acclimate. I could see starting in the second half of the season, playing an important but part time role a la Hamilton his freshman season, or I would be disappointed but not shocked if like most JUCO's he takes some about a year to develop. However, receiver is a position not uncommon for freshmen to come in and do well so I hope a JUCO can come in even quicker.

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on June 16, 2015, 07:21:39 pm
In your opinion is this because he'll be elevated to a starter or someone better will take his place?

Somebody supplants him. Technically speaking, I'd venture a guess that Skipper is truly our backup LT if Kirkland were to miss any extended time. Post-spring, we are still very short at tackle which will change when our new crop come in over summer. Gibson has more experience than the new guys, but only one year's worth. With guaranteed losing of two OL starters for 2016 and quite possibly a third, I'd guess that we will not get to redshirt everybody so that we have guys ready to take over next year.

RazorRed26

June 17, 2015, 03:00:35 am #12 Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 08:43:59 am by RazorRed26
Quote from: Rison Razor Hog on June 15, 2015, 06:03:11 pm
At the UofA site:

Roster

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/sport/m-footbl/roster/

Off-site Post Spring Depth Chart

http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/arkansas/89992

Anthony Brown

Has anyone notice that AB is listed on the depth chart, but not on the actual 2015 roster?

PaintballHog

Quote from: bennyl08 on June 17, 2015, 02:14:22 am
Oh yeah, I kind of forgot about Reed. As late of a start as he is getting, I think it will take him some time to really acclimate. I could see starting in the second half of the season, playing an important but part time role a la Hamilton his freshman season, or I would be disappointed but not shocked if like most JUCO's he takes some about a year to develop. However, receiver is a position not uncommon for freshmen to come in and do well so I hope a JUCO can come in even quicker.

Well if he comes in and just chills in the player's lounge wearing the virtual reality goggles every day til 2adays, he may be close to up to speed on the playbook. That may be asking too much tho.

troyer37

Where did this Johnny Gibson guy come from? Is he a walk on?

rricha

Nicholas - Thomas Smith has strong bloodlines his mother was a standout sprinter for the hogs back in 1980-81 until she tore her knee up.

TheRazorback500

Quote from: troyer37 on June 17, 2015, 12:49:43 pm
Where did this Johnny Gibson guy come from? Is he a walk on?
Dumas. I'm there a lot during the week and everyone tells me he's a good kid from a good family. I think he's a walk on-someone can correct me if I'm wrong..

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?