Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Derek Lee...Really a Triple Crown chance?

Started by Amityvillehogger, July 20, 2005, 10:45:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Amityvillehogger

Ok at this point hes hitting .376, 31 HRs, and 78 RBI's.  Do you guys think there is really a chance.  I mean this guy has proved us all wrong.  Everyone said he would cool off from the hot start.  This guy has been on a rampage since game 1  Your thoughts?

But anytime you talk about triple crowns you have to mention Albert Pujols.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

WindyCityHog

There are those who will say that because Lee isn't on a front-running team, he isn't worthy of MVP consideration.  I say BS....I don't like the Cubs, but I believe what I see......Derrek Lee is the most formidable hitter in any MLB lineup, and that includes over Albert Pujols.

Even when Lee puts a ball into play for an out.....he generally rockets it.

If Andre Dawson could win the MVP on a bad team, then Lee can to.  Bottom line, I'll make the argument that without Lee, the Cubs would be no where near contention for the Wildcard (the pitching be darned)....With him, they are.  Lee has made many forget Sosa up here.....Sosa may have hit more bombs, but Lee is showing that you don't necessarily need to hit it out to prove yourself......unlike Sosa, who viewed singles and doubles as "outs" when it came to hitting.

To top it off, Lee is a team player.  He could care less about being "the man" on the team.....

hawkeyefan17

This current Cubs team is better than the '87 team Andre Dawson played on. Lee can win the MVP on this team.

I watch the Cubs as much as I can and it is incredible to see what this guy is doing. He makes outs but his outs are always rockets or close to being hits.

It will be fun to see what he does in the second half.

Oklahawg

Lee needs his team to get hot. Pujols will get his RBI opportunities because the Cards are playing good baseball. The Cubs are much more fragile.

I suspect he'll get close, but only win 2 of the 3 categories.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hawkeyefan17

I think Patterson rotting in Iowa will help his chances. With Hariston and Walker at the top of the lineup now. The total On Base Percentage of the number 1 and 2 spots is bound to go up with Patterson gone. Aramis Ramirez is hitting well now and Burnitz is doing his thing.

I don't think he'll do it but I think he'll be close in all three categories and might win two of them.

ledhead830

it's funny that a man with a career .275 batting average is getting so much respect from one season that people are saying they would rather have him than Pujols.  Remember what happened to Beltre after his "breakout season" last year.  Lee is doing great.  He is the player of the year, but not MVP.  is there any difference between third and sixth?  Actually Lee is less valuable because he may kill the Cubs' chances at a better draft pick, whcih is what they seem to be playing for this year.  Pujols plays for a team that is going to the playoffs, and that means he at least has that value.  Dawson won it in'87 in a farce of a voting.  There should be no player that wins the MVP on a team that he couldn't get into the playoffs.  McGwire sets a record, but Sosa gets the MVP, because his team made the playoffs.  That is the way it should be. 
Ted Williams twice won the triple crown, but in neither did he win the MVP.  His team didn't make the Seires.  the MVP should be given to the Most VALUABLE Player.
Walk on through the wind. Walk on through the rain.
Though your dreams be tossed and blown,
Walk on. Walk on with hope in your heart,
And you'll never walk alone. You'll never walk alone.
Walk on. Walk on with hope in your heart,
And you'll never walk alone. You'll never walk alone.

mossfan3

If he is player of the year he should get most valuable player. It is not a lifetime achievement award.  I am a Cardinals fan but Lee is obviously the best player this year to me that translates to MVP.  Yes he is valuable to his team.  The whole draft pick idea to me doesn't carry much weight.  In baseball the most talented prospects usually fall to 10-20 bc the lower market teams can't afford the huge bonuses the players and their agents want.

WindyCityHog

Ledhead....I see your point.....but "career" numbers mean squat.....Lee is having the best year.  By far.....I don't automatically dismiss your "World Series" or bust argument.....I simply disagree.

I would take Pujols ANY day over Lee....but you just can't argue Lee's prowess this year......HE's scary bad this year.  He may NEVER duplicate the numbers he's putting up....but I believe the MVP is a year-to-year thing.

Pujols has gotten screwed a couple of times by that fricktard, juicin' Bonds.....but if Lee wins it this year, it will be legitimate....for once.

Oklahawg

Pujols gets himself in trouble by doing this every year. Joe Morgan just mentioned the "Willie Mays Player of the Year Award", which goes to the outstanding player, regardless, opening up MVP for more team-oriented value, and that always-hard-to-measure "chemistry" thingy.

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra