Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Halftime Peanut butter/Jelly sandwiches

Started by rzrbkman, November 06, 2017, 12:48:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rzrbkman

Is that still being done for the Razorback players or are they being fed to the other team instead?

draftkings33

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

According to Quinn Grovey(sp) as of a couple games ago at least, yes they are still doing this. I kept imploring my father in law to ask BB about it at the catfish hole but he wouldn't do it :). Really one of the most moronic things imaginable.

My team consistently sucks in the second half so I may superstitiously change my shirt at half time but no way will I reconsider snack time!!

jkstock04

I still think eating ppjs at halftime is a dumb idea. Think about how peanut butter makes you feel...just heavy and full. That's not how I want to feel in the middle of a football game. Hydration is what is the most important...not filling your freaking gut with peanut butter and bread. Doesn't make sense.

Someone show me another successful program that practices this and maybe I'll change my mind.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hogsolo

Due to the protein in peanut butter and simple sugars in some jams this is done in all of the NBA locker rooms.   As long as they stick to no sugar added peanut butter and whole grains these sandwiches are considered great athletic fuel.

ESPN the Magazine had an article on this a year or two ago.   

If he is using this someone in the program is up to date on current thinking of getting the most from your athlete's body.

Boardon Hamsay

November 06, 2017, 07:54:40 pm #6 Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 08:05:28 pm by Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head
Yes, the jelly sandwich halftime tradition continues. As does the post victory lobster tradition. I gotta be honest. I think this weekend was the last time lobsters are going to be served in the FOC this year. We had an issue earlier this year with some lobsters being brought in before we earned the victory. TCU if I remember correctly. Anyways, that lead to a surge in black market lobster sales activity in NWA. Twist is part of the lobster triad/mafia. He can expand on this further as I've probably said too much. I bet the lobster catching quotas are screwed up this year cause we came in well under forecast.

As for the jelly sandwiches, Pillowhead Jackson has been all over that story for years. If it wasn't for the media shying away from the jelly sandwich subject, Pillowhead's work would have been ESPN 30 for 30 worthy.  Lot of working titles were even floated for it...."peanut berter and jelly: uncommonly common" was my favorite.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: IAMHogholio on November 06, 2017, 07:52:24 pm
Due to the protein in peanut butter and simple sugars in some jams this is done in all of the NBA locker rooms.   As long as they stick to no sugar added peanut butter and whole grains these sandwiches are considered great athletic fuel.

If he is using this someone in the program is up to date on current thinking of getting the most from your athlete's body.

I think we got the recipe wrong. Ours seem to be loaded with quaaludes.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 06, 2017, 07:51:54 pm
I still think eating ppjs at halftime is a dumb idea. Think about how peanut butter makes you feel...just heavy and full. That's not how I want to feel in the middle of a football game. Hydration is what is the most important...not filling your freaking gut with peanut butter and bread. Doesn't make sense.

Someone show me another successful program that practices this and maybe I'll change my mind.

I eat a single piece of whole wheat bread, natural peanut butter, and a touch of jelly for pre workout and pre physical fitness test snacks. Now, if you're eating a big pb&j like grandma used to make, then I agree with you.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Tarheelhawg

Eating pbj sandwiches is okay as long as that is not all that is happening during half-time. 

McKdaddy

Agreed, they are my go-to for longer, more intense bike rides.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

HardCore

No wonder they can't make halftime adjustments........too busy scarfing sandwiches
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

cal34

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on November 06, 2017, 07:54:40 pm
Yes, the jelly sandwich halftime tradition continues. As does the post victory lobster tradition. I gotta be honest. I think this weekend was the last time lobsters are going to be served in the FOC this year. We had an issue earlier this year with some lobsters being brought in before we earned the victory. TCU if I remember correctly. Anyways, that lead to a surge in black market lobster sales activity in NWA. Twist is part of the lobster triad/mafia. He can expand on this further as I've probably said too much. I bet the lobster catching quotas are screwed up this year cause we came in well under forecast.

As for the jelly sandwiches, Pillowhead Jackson has been all over that story for years. If it wasn't for the media shying away from the jelly sandwich subject, Pillowhead's work would have been ESPN 30 for 30 worthy.  Lot of working titles were even floated for it...."peanut berter and jelly: uncommonly common" was my favorite.

Peanut Berter and jelly lmao!  Phj has put himself out there covering the pb&j sandwich & lobster feasts.

The OTR

Here we go again with the nba story.

I'm not denying that a peanut butter and jelly sandwich might not be a great food for a pre game meal.  In fact I'd say it would probably be as good as anything if you are looking for sustained energy throughout a workout or athletic endeavor.

Halftime jelly sandwiches are another story. Some might benefit.  Some might not.  All I can see is how badly we have played in the second half of games since we started eating them.

What did Grovey say?  Did anyone hear it?

cal34

Quote from: HardCore on November 06, 2017, 08:20:17 pm
No wonder they can't make halftime adjustments........too busy scarfing sandwiches

The players probably can't understand the halftime speech.  Don't see how Coach B can speak clearly with a mouthful of Peanut butter.

The OTR

Quote from: cal34 on November 06, 2017, 08:52:01 pm
The players probably can't understand the halftime speech.  Don't see how Coach B can speak clearly with a mouthful of Peanut butter.

That may be the most prolific observation of the Bret Bielema era.  Good work, Cal.

HardCore

I spewed my Coke Pepsi on that one!
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

Ragnar Hogbrok

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....