Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Remember witnessing upgrade from Nutt’s offense to Petrino’s?

Started by jst01, March 19, 2018, 08:20:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jst01

I hate to be that guy that sounds like he compares football to basketball, but that isn't what I'm doing.

Do you guys remember watching that first year of Petrino's offense compared to the previous decade of Nutt's offense? It was like a huge breath of fresh air and a realization of "oh wow, this is what I see most successful teams doing!".  And the details of the game were a point of emphasis. QB play was of utmost importance and route running was crisp, details details, etc etc. 

It's my opinion that when MA is gone in the future (more near than distant), AR can land a coach that runs a playing style that breeds success with teaching fundamentals of ball movement, the art of passing, rebounding and defending the ball, details! Not just playing fast to be fast and hope for run outs.  I think we will watch that first year and all be like "Ohhhh this really DOES work better!"  It will make the same individual talents we have, play as better teams.

sickboy

Quote from: jst01 on March 19, 2018, 08:20:42 pm
I hate to be that guy that sounds like he compares football to basketball, but that isn't what I'm doing.

Do you guys remember watching that first year of Petrino's offense compared to the previous decade of Nutt's offense? It was like a huge breath of fresh air and a realization of "oh wow, this is what I see most successful teams doing!".  And the details of the game were a point of emphasis. QB play was of utmost importance and route running was crisp, details details, etc etc. 

It's my opinion that when MA is gone in the future (more near than distant), AR can land a coach that runs a playing style that breeds success with teaching fundamentals of ball movement, the art of passing, rebounding and defending the ball, details! Not just playing fast to be fast and hope for run outs.  I think we will watch that first year and all be like "Ohhhh this really DOES work better!"  It will make the same individual talents we have, play as better teams.

I'm not saying you're wrong because, like you said, the analogy isn't apples to apples, but Anderson runs the equivalent of a spread offense in basketball. It's run and gun, force turnovers and transition scoring with some in/out and open three point shooting. Fundamental basketball is more like smash mouth football, imo.

Virginia is that kind of team. And I'm not saying it's a bad thing because they just got beat by a 16. Honestly, that was a one in a billion. They couldn't handle that speedy point guard and when a fundamental defense can't keep a defender in front of them they get gashed and are forced to buckle to close the lane. That's what happened to Virginia. I would love to be a Virginia type team if it means winning like they do.

jst01

Yea you can't compare a style of hoops to style of football. I was sorta thinking that Nutts offense was basic, based on one thing (run) and being passed up by the game.  Anderson runs a simple offense, based on one thing (defense creating offense) and it's also being passed up by the game.

My point was more to say that when you finally see a change from ineffective to effective, it really slaps you in the face at the difference.

dsims2k3

Nutt was 75-46 at Arkansas . Ark  has gone 65-55 since he left...
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

The Boar War

If we get the basketball equivalent of Petrine then yes, you would see a difference.  I have zero faith that anyone up there has the ability to make that type of hire